30 in Widescreen HDTV - $320-$388 shipped, Philips Outlet

dafoomie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_r.../41907ABB9A6F008D00000000828BD472&shop=OUTLET
http://www.electronicsnation.com/en/products/show_product/category/2131

Electronics Nation will pricematch the Philips Outlet (they're an affiliate, or an authorized reseller, or something, and are reputable), and they offer extended warranties for extra cash.

Before you make a major purchase on an HDTV, do your research at:
http://www.avsforum.com/

Here are the pros and cons on the 3 major models usually found at Philips Outlet:

30PW850H: $359
0003784993574_215X215.jpg

Pros:
Fewer problems overall, more likely to get a working unit without any problems
2 component inputs
Has both the 3D comb filter and 'eye fidelity' (480i to 480p upscaling)

Cons:
No HDMI
Can not adjust aspect ratio except on 480i, non widescreen will be stretched.

Avsforum thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=366742&page=1&pp=30

30PW8420: $388
43361EBF325F00D700000000828BD472.jpg

Pros:
HDMI port
3D comb filter

Cons:
Somewhat more prone to certain issues, minor hum, geometry, and broken units
Only 1 component input
No 'eye fidelity' (480i to 480p upscaling)

30PW8402: $320-$350
118246-2212p147-4b.jpg

Pros:
HDMI port
2 component inputs
'Eye fidelity'

Cons:
Least reliable, most prone to problems, such as speaker interference with the screen, geometry, and DOA
No 3D comb filter

Other models:
30PW8520 - Picture in picture, 2 component inputs, no HDMI. Not often available
30PW9xxxD - Built in OTA tuner, but analog signals look like crap, often more expensive.

Don't take my word for it, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY! I will not be responsible if you are unhappy with your purchase, and neither will Philips Outlet. Their return policy on refurbs is 30 days, on site repair, shipping back to them at their expense if required, but no refunds, exchange for identical item only. They will only refund your money if they no longer have your model in stock.

[quote name='merkman']Pratt - Sounds like you got the same (maybe) Mad Catz Xbox / PS2 Component Cable I got.

What I found was if the PS2 had "power" (meaning it WASN'T turned off in back), I wouldn't get sound or Video from the Xbox. But if I do turn the PS2 off with the power switch on back, the Xbox works fine.

Saves me from unplugging the cable from one or the other, and it's pretty each to find the power switch with your fingers. Maybe that helps...[/QUOTE]

Yep, your absolutely right merk. Thanks for the tip. At first I thought maybe I unplugged one of the thousand wires behind my tv set and was searching for like thirty minutes to see what the problem was. Luckily it was something so simple.

[quote name='scdoanintendo']Just got the TV in and so far so good.[/QUOTE]

Excellent news so far. Our fingers our crossed.

I got my refund from Philips yesterday. All you guys who bought this TV should feel very secure in Philips customer service. They were very nice, easy to deal with, and fairly quick on sending someone out to get the TV and in giving my refund. This was the second purchase I've made from the Philips outlet (first was a Magnavox surround system for $100 shipped that is fantastic and works perfectly) and I would not hesitate to buy from them again.

That is great news mmn. I'm sure we are all glad to hear about your positive experience in dealing with their customer service. I still need to call them to get the proper remote control. I was given the wrong one upon receiving the set. Can you do anything with the remote that you can't do manually on the set itself?

finally received my pelican system selcetor pro from microcenter after going through a return about a month ago

they originally sent me a black one PL957 i think and they tried to stick a fake UPC of the PL960(silver one) over the black ones UPC, i called and told them they sent me the wrong one and was very disappointed and they said we'll check on it, after a week they called back and said that the shipping wherehouse doesnt believe they could make that mistake but it did happen, so they sent me a return label and i returned the black one, called a little later and asked if they have received my return and told them that i was referred by someone to this store becuz they got a great deal and the silver one they got also came with a remote, well a week or so later i got my brand new pelican system selector pro PL-960 with a little remote and it works great, although the remote can be easily, for $50 it was a great deal the box even came back with a $79.99 price tag on it

[quote name='Pratt75']That is great news mmn. I'm sure we are all glad to hear about your positive experience in dealing with their customer service. I still need to call them to get the proper remote control. I was given the wrong one upon receiving the set. Can you do anything with the remote that you can't do manually on the set itself?[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't know, but if I were you I'd call anyhow. Personally I like having the original remotes when it comes to electronics if I can help it. I never fully trust universals.

The original remote is also universal, also has a button that lights up some of the clear buttons which is the best thing about it even though i'll never use it, only problem with the remote is that it have no enter button, so to change channels it takes forever, expecially if i'm changing to channel 12, it ghoes 12_ and i have to wait like 5 secs for it to switch automatically rather then being able to press enter, its stupid since i dont even have up to 80 channels

if anyone knows if there is a button like enter on the remote, plz post, only thing that gets on my nerves

[quote name='greyzieoriental']The original remote is also universal, also has a button that lights up some of the clear buttons which is the best thing about it even though i'll never use it, only problem with the remote is that it have no enter button, so to change channels it takes forever, expecially if i'm changing to channel 12, it ghoes 12_ and i have to wait like 5 secs for it to switch automatically rather then being able to press enter, its stupid since i dont even have up to 80 channels

if anyone knows if there is a button like enter on the remote, plz post, only thing that gets on my nerves[/QUOTE]
Do 012 instead of just 12.

19 Available at ElectronicsNation.com (Resellerratings lifetime score is 8.44)
Price - 375 Shipped tax only in Ohio
http://www.electronicsnation.com/en/products/flypage/prod_id/30PW850H

For those who have ordered their set from this site, how long did the shipping take? I ordered mine a little over a week ago and am just waiting patiently.

On a side note this is a cheaper option if you live in CA, as the outlet.philips.com site will charge you tax and the electronic waste recycling fee.

I ordered this around 2 months ago and am pretty pleased w/ it. I only have 2 complaints about it though. First, there's no way to control the aspect ration in progressive scan mode, giving any 4:3 source a stretched picture (fills screen automatically). Second, I reported a problem w/ my set because it looks like there's ghosting present when I watch DVDs and play Xbox games in progressive scan.

It's hard to notice during a movie, but in a game like Dead or Alive Ultimate you can really see it with characters in dark costumes on a white background (like snow). It's like a mirror-image effect. For example, you can see a black line next to another black line. I had a tech come out to look at it, and he said he can see what I'm describing, but that there's nothing he can do about it except call Philips. Philips ended up telling him that it's compatibility issue w/ the Xbox. I don't buy it, since I do see it on my DVD player also (which I showed him), but it's much harder to notice.

So, any cheap deals on TVs that actually support 720P? 1080i doesn't interest me, and I can already get 480p on my monitor with an HDTV transcoder, so I'd only be interested in a TV that can do 720p.(my LCD's max res is above 1280x720, but I tried the 720p game on xbox arcade and it refused to display above 480p so I don't think my monitor supports that specific mode, plus I'd lose a lot of viewing space that way since my monitor isn't widescreen)

[quote name='LinkinPrime']It looks like its only 480p though.

On another note, you got post 666 >=)

(I couldnt find the devilish smily. what happened to the smilies anyway?)[/QUOTE]

Read the spec sheet, it also supports 1080i.

Well, I finally decide to go back to my bookmark and buy this TV and it no longer exists. But since it has been so long sonce this thread started, are there any better deals? I already found the one mentioned just a few posts up here, but whatabout 720p like someone else asked???

[quote name='MorPhiend']Well, I finally decide to go back to my bookmark and buy this TV and it no longer exists. But since it has been so long sonce this thread started, are there any better deals? I already found the one mentioned just a few posts up here, but whatabout 720p like someone else asked???[/QUOTE]

crts cannot display 720p most crts ( like mine) will upconvert it to 1080i

[quote name='MorPhiend']Well, I finally decide to go back to my bookmark and buy this TV and it no longer exists. But since it has been so long sonce this thread started, are there any better deals? I already found the one mentioned just a few posts up here, but whatabout 720p like someone else asked???[/QUOTE]
They still sell it, its just out of stock at the moment. They do have deals on other models, just browse through.

[quote name='klwillis45']You would be better served to spend a little extra and get this one:
http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_redesign/b2c/productdetail.do?productguid=41907ABB9A6F008D00000000828BD47240C22B91B410078C00000000828BD443&productarea=41907ABB9A6F008D00000000828BD472&scenario=catalog&shop=OUTLET

Newer model adds HDMI & aspect selection[/QUOTE]

Anyone have any experience with this one?

Looks tempting....

Edit: Anyhting in here look good? Got some free shipping deals..

http://dealnews.com/online-stores/Philips/1278/

Not sure of the differences, but there is a lot of chatter on the various HDTV forums that the 8402 is a piece of crap. Personally, I'm seriously considering the 9110.

I have the 8402 and it is a piece of crap, I think the 8420 is the newer model of the 8402 with one fewer set of component inputs.(8402 has 2 sets and the 8420 only has 1)

I've researched more about these TVs and apparently they suck the noots. On the 8420 i've heard they have this humming/buzz sound and it is really annoying. I've heard about screen blotches and all sorts of stuff.

On the other hand, ive heard excellent reviews about the Sony KV-30HS420. It is around twice as much as one of these cheap phillips, but its probably definetly worth it.

There are better TV's out there than these. These are for people that don't really have the money for an HDTV otherwise. $360 for a 30" widescreen HDTV is unbeatable.

The 8420 is the later version of the 8402. The 8420 has 1 component connector and 1 HDMI connector, the 8402 has 2 component connectors.

On the 8420, there is a hum issue on some TV's. On the 8402, there is an issue where sometimes, the speakers aren't properly shielded and cause disruption on the screen sometimes. Both usually don't happen, but are known issues with these models.

The 8420 has a 3d comb filter, which improves the image of non-HD sources. The 8402 has "Eyefidelity" which takes a 480i signal and converts it to 480p, making it look slightly better.

The 9100D's have their own issues that I don't recall off the top of my head.

I have the older 850H, some people consider it to be nicer, since it has both the 3d comb filter, and eyefidelity, and 2 HD connectors. I like it because its $360, and the other two are $390. Out of stock through the Philips Outlet, but available here from one of their affiliates:
http://www.electronicsnation.com/en/products/flypage/prod_id/30PW850H

Electronicsnation does pricematch the Philips Outlet, and has better support and warranty service overall. Plus, you have the option of buying an extended warranty.

Before purchasing any HDTV, do your research on it at a place like Avs Forum.
http://www.avsforum.com/

I actually just ordered the 30PW8402 this weekend, and it shipped today. I'll let everyone know how it is when it gets here.

I got mine back in December when they had that additional 10% off. I love it. It beats the hell out of the 20" it replaced in my bedroom. Got the 30PW8402, it had the most number of inputs. Have not had any problems and it works perfectly. Here's hoping it stays that way. Had it for 3 weeks and still love it.

Philips is probably the worst brand ever. Everything that I have purchased from Philips got defected 2 years or less. Don't Buy!!

Mine is still going strong after about a year, being moved out of my old house, stuck in storage, moved back out of storage into my new house, and being watched constantly. Though, my brother had a 19" Philips TV, dropped it from about 5 feet high and broke it after owning it for about a month.

Philips does not have the best build quality, and if you buy one, you should carefully and thoroughly examine it for any possible problems as soon as it arrives. You might also consider an extended warranty from Electronics Nation, though they come with a 90 day warranty and free in home service or pickup.

This really isn't about being the best TV, this is the cheapest, absolute bottom of the barrel HDTV solution you can get. If you can afford better, you should look elsewhere. If you need a cheap HDTV, and don't mind risking the hassle of having it picked up and shipped back at their expense, this could be the deal for you. There is a little risk, but the picture quality is good, and the price is right.

Phillips sux , sorry guys, but You'd Be better off going few more hundred bux with Sony/Panasonic/Toshiba

[quote name='buya89']Phillips sux , sorry guys, but You'd Be better off going few more hundred bux with Sony/Panasonic/Toshiba[/QUOTE]
What did I just say in the post directly above yours?

[quote name='buya89']Phillips sux , sorry guys, but You'd Be better off going few more hundred bux with Sony/Panasonic/Toshiba[/QUOTE]

LOL Sorry dude Panasonic isn't a Better brand then Philips.

Okay, I'm being impatient. dafoomie (or anyone else who's gotten a TV here), about how long does the shipping take? Mine shipped out on Monday. I have a tracking number, but it doesn't say where to go to track it, and for location, it's just Eagle Carriers.

[quote name='b0bx13']Okay, I'm being impatient. dafoomie (or anyone else who's gotten a TV here), about how long does the shipping take? Mine shipped out on Monday. I have a tracking number, but it doesn't say where to go to track it, and for location, it's just Eagle Carriers.[/QUOTE]

Mine took a while, because Eagle Carriers uses local delivery people. It made it to the local warehouse quickly, and then it just sat there until I finally went and picked it up.

[quote name='b0bx13']Okay, I'm being impatient. dafoomie (or anyone else who's gotten a TV here), about how long does the shipping take? Mine shipped out on Monday. I have a tracking number, but it doesn't say where to go to track it, and for location, it's just Eagle Carriers.[/QUOTE]
They usually call you and setup a time and date for delivery. Its not like UPS where they just show up. If they don't call you, you can call them up with your tracking number and setup the appointment yourself.

[quote name='specialk']So guys, how does the 360 look on these Panasonics? This could be the price point for me to buy.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean the Philips? Because that is what the thread is about.

Anyway, word of warning to those buying a Philips for the Xbox 360. Almost all of the Philips CRT HD televisions that support HDMI do not support 1080i via component input. Since the 360 still doesn't support HDMI, this may be a deciding factor to some people.

[quote name='valor19']Do you mean the Philips? Because that is what the thread is about.

Anyway, word of warning to those buying a Philips for the Xbox 360. Almost all of the Philips CRT HD televisions that support HDMI do not support 1080i via component input. Since the 360 still doesn't support HDMI, this may be a deciding factor to some people.[/QUOTE]
You're wrong.

All of these TV's support 1080i through component, including the 8420, which is the only Philips with HDMI at this price point. You might be thinking of some other models which either aren't offered, or are more expensive.

[quote name='dafoomie']You're wrong.

All of these TV's support 1080i through component, including the 8420, which is the only Philips with HDMI at this price point. You might be thinking of some other models which either aren't offered, or are more expensive.[/QUOTE]

Don't these models have 2 component inputs each, one that ONLY accepts 1080i, and one that accepts 480i and 480p? Or is it one that accepts 1080i/480p and one that accepts 480i?

[quote name='Fox5']Don't these models have 2 component inputs each, one that ONLY accepts 1080i, and one that accepts 480i and 480p? Or is it one that accepts 1080i/480p and one that accepts 480i?[/QUOTE]
I'm fairly certain they both accept 1080i and 480p. Mine certainly does, the 850H. I don't have any firsthand experience with the 8402, but I'm fairly sure it does. I haven't heard anything that would indicate otherwise. If you're considering buying a particular model, I would look it up at avsforum.com, just in case. Each model has its own quirks that may or may not matter to you.

I'm told that the 8402 is the one to avoid, or that its the lesser of the 3. I don't know firsthand, so check everything out for yourself if you're going to buy anything.

bread's done
Back