30 in Widescreen HDTV - $320-$388 shipped, Philips Outlet

dafoomie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_r.../41907ABB9A6F008D00000000828BD472&shop=OUTLET
http://www.electronicsnation.com/en/products/show_product/category/2131

Electronics Nation will pricematch the Philips Outlet (they're an affiliate, or an authorized reseller, or something, and are reputable), and they offer extended warranties for extra cash.

Before you make a major purchase on an HDTV, do your research at:
http://www.avsforum.com/

Here are the pros and cons on the 3 major models usually found at Philips Outlet:

30PW850H: $359
0003784993574_215X215.jpg

Pros:
Fewer problems overall, more likely to get a working unit without any problems
2 component inputs
Has both the 3D comb filter and 'eye fidelity' (480i to 480p upscaling)

Cons:
No HDMI
Can not adjust aspect ratio except on 480i, non widescreen will be stretched.

Avsforum thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=366742&page=1&pp=30

30PW8420: $388
43361EBF325F00D700000000828BD472.jpg

Pros:
HDMI port
3D comb filter

Cons:
Somewhat more prone to certain issues, minor hum, geometry, and broken units
Only 1 component input
No 'eye fidelity' (480i to 480p upscaling)

30PW8402: $320-$350
118246-2212p147-4b.jpg

Pros:
HDMI port
2 component inputs
'Eye fidelity'

Cons:
Least reliable, most prone to problems, such as speaker interference with the screen, geometry, and DOA
No 3D comb filter

Other models:
30PW8520 - Picture in picture, 2 component inputs, no HDMI. Not often available
30PW9xxxD - Built in OTA tuner, but analog signals look like crap, often more expensive.

Don't take my word for it, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY! I will not be responsible if you are unhappy with your purchase, and neither will Philips Outlet. Their return policy on refurbs is 30 days, on site repair, shipping back to them at their expense if required, but no refunds, exchange for identical item only. They will only refund your money if they no longer have your model in stock.

I hear that you can get a Video setup disc to calibrate your tv and inprove the image quality? is it worth it or makes very little difference?

PS-Cable does not look to great

8BallGuy - I think we can all appreciate your coming into this thread a little late. But Modium and others have answered all these questions before. Just read through, and you'll find the answers you seek.

Link doesn't seem to work for me. How does this TV look in 1080i BTW? I've heard it looks pretty decent, just want direct feedback. Would it be worth to upgrade if I just bought an RCA 27" with Component Video inputs (Non HD) about a year and a half back? Is the difference really that great? Thanks in advance.

[quote name='Ravaged']Link doesn't seem to work for me. How does this TV look in 1080i BTW? I've heard it looks pretty decent, just want direct feedback. Would it be worth to upgrade if I just bought an RCA 27" with Component Video inputs (Non HD) about a year and a half back? Is the difference really that great? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]
Its out of stock for now.

It looks good in 1080i, just keep in mind that it does not support 720p, and that everything in 480p will be run in widescreen, 4:3 signals will be stretched out. TV has black bars on the side, so that doesn't get stretched, you can run everything else in 480i if you have to, to get it into 4:3.

It looks good enough that I own one, and I'm buying another one later. The difference is big, if you have things that can run in 1080i, like HDTV, or the Xbox 360 when it comes out. If all you have is stuff at 480p, it won't be a huge difference from what you have.

have fun going through the SAM menu scdoanintendo
write it down 062596 menu and before u change shit write everything down and some will have only one setting shown make sure to push down and see the rest of them, i didnt notice that so i wrote down only one for some then i start changing shit and well it sux not knowing ur factory settings

and if ur lucky enough u'll get a perfect TV without all the bullshit, but going through the menus get tiring, i did it for couple days and m happy with my settings, well happy enough at least

My CompUSA had these for about $370 I believe...it said Manager's Special on them. This was the one in MI on Hall Road by Best Buy. YMMV of course.....good for people who want instant gratification (and not refurb)

Sorry that I haven't been reading all 31 pages of this topic, but can someone give me a brief summary on whether or not it is worth it to get this for $360 or is there too many problems with it? Also, do they accept returns?

Does anyone have any updated video settings?

Playing my PS2 on here looks like crap. Its hooked up with the standard av cables.

[quote name='Togepy']Sorry that I haven't been reading all 31 pages of this topic, but can someone give me a brief summary on whether or not it is worth it to get this for $360 or is there too many problems with it? Also, do they accept returns?[/QUOTE]

The only real problem I've had with the set is that I was given the wrong remote control when they shipped the set. Other than that I have been very happy with the set. Playing the xbox in 480p is supersweet. The only small problem I have is finding a video setting that works with standard av cables while playing PS2. Other than that I would give it a thumbs up. The tv works fine and arrived in very good condition. Its heavy as hell though when you first unpack it so when it arrives make sure you have some help waiting in the wings.

[quote name='Togepy']Thanks, I noticed the spec sheet only said 480 and 1080, does that mean it cant run in 720?[/QUOTE]

Somebody said it might convert it to 1080, but I dont know if thats true.

Anyways, if you are getting it for gaming I would say save your money and get something else. When you are playing games in HD it will automatically stretch them to fit the screen. For widescreen games, this is awesome, otherwise it is crap.

For movies though, which is my main use, it is great.

games look great in 480p but i've played some games with standard composite cables and the 4:3 ratio isnt so great there is a noticable black bars on the side and i dont mean the ones that are posed to be there, and i cant get the sides of the screen straight even going through the SAM menu there is still a noticable bow on the sides, other than that playing in 480p does look great like pratt says and i dont know what u want by updated video settings?> and yea the TV is very heavy like 125lbs around there, but i guess pratt u were very lucky to have nothing wrong with urs, i knwo mines was fine until i got the CVI input fixed then i had to go through the SAM menu and i'm content with what i got so far, i'm sure i can tweak it more but some options seem like they do nothing and some i dont know wth they do

so the brief summary for togepy is great HDTV for the price definitely worth the $380 IMO and the problems can be fixed if there are any and ur willing to do it on ur own, i'm sure a phillips representative would come and do it for u but i havent tried calling yet and wanted to do it on my own, and be prepared with the component cables to get the best out of it

my TV also can with very few marks or scratches, there is some but not visible unless ur rying to find them, theres some messed up platics on the back of the TV, a scratch on the right top, and the left speaker has a kinda deep scratch that is into the plastic, so i'm sure some ppl got perfect TV's but mines is good enough for me for the price(my moms 21" TV with VCR was around $300-400 and its not a well known name, 2 yrs old though)

Ah, thanks for the advice, but if it has some issues for games, i'd rather wait to buy a better one. By the time 360 comes out, there should be a good HDTV for cheap.

At least one person told me on here that the 360 will run 1080i on this tv. 720p is not available on this set so we are out of luck there. This was one of the major concerns I had when I bought it too. Once I heard the 360 will run on it I let out a big sigh of relief.
If you have a xbox with the HD pack and this tv it is outstanding for gaming. I don't know about the PS2 because I don't have the component cables. To me so far using s video and standard av cables while PS2 gaming looks like doo doo. Thats why I keep asking for video settings. I'm hoping this will change the crapiness I am seeing when I turn on the PS2. I guess I just need to buy PS2 component cables.

[quote name='Pratt75']Same here man, I don't need a tv but if it is great for gaming I may be tempted. We have so many tv's in the house its ridiculous but none are HDTV.[/QUOTE]

I know alot of people with like 5 or 6 tv's and they say that they don't watch that much tv. Just the news and a few prime time shows. My house we have two and they are on all the time.

[quote name='Togepy']Thanks, I noticed the spec sheet only said 480 and 1080, does that mean it cant run in 720?[/QUOTE]

if the specs state the tv upconverts 720p to 1080i then yes but if someone has this tv they could try it out with the xbox using soul calibur. Turn off 1080i and 480p then play the game and see what happens .My crt HDTV from sony does upconvert 720p signal to 1080i .

mostly everything ppl are asking late in this thread have been answered already, look through the posts urself, like many ppl i've been tryiing to provide answers to ur guys questions but u guys are just asking the same shit over and over again

and jam i'll try it out maybe later 2nite, or hopefully someone else will do it first, too lazy rigt now, too damn hot outside

[quote name='greyzieoriental']mostly everything ppl are asking late in this thread have been answered already, look through the posts urself, like many ppl i've been tryiing to provide answers to ur guys questions but u guys are just asking the same shit over and over again

and jam i'll try it out maybe later 2nite, or hopefully someone else will do it first, too lazy rigt now, too damn hot outside[/QUOTE]

lol yea iv been answering that damn resolution question alot on this thread but no biggy I just want everyone to know about HD stuff and plz someone who has this tv try out the method I stated . Have fun

This thread has been here for TWO MONTHS. If some of the people who are new to this thread can't take 10 minutes and read through it and get the information themselves, that's their problem.

I hate lazy people.

[quote name='mmn']This thread has been here for TWO MONTHS. If some of the people who are new to this thread can't take 10 minutes and read through it and get the information themselves, that's their problem.

I hate lazy people.[/QUOTE]
Go ahead and give it a try, cause it will take well over 10 mins, more like 3 hours to read and understand all this.

[quote name='Eastsidecracker']Go ahead and give it a try, cause it will take well over 10 mins, more like 3 hours to read and understand all this.[/QUOTE]

Hey, that's your problem. Sorry you weren't reading this thread two months ago when it was started.

FAQ:
Q: what are the 5 square at the bottom of the TV next to the power button and how come only the 3rd one lights up and the other do nothing?
A: Ok this is my question so someone answer for me cuz its bothering me nightly

Q: How do I meet SAM?
A: to meet SAM: turn on TV press 062596 exit (warning! be careful)

Q: I'm too lazy too look through the thread, Can u tell me the dimensions?
A: Dimensions: 22" deep 35" wide 22 1/2" tall about 125lbs

Q: Also what are the screen dimensions cuz i failed algebra?
A: Screen dimensions: 15" tall 26 1/2" wide 30" diagonal

Q: What about the controller?
A: what about it? 40 button controller with universal programming(counted light switch as 1 button incase u count 39)

Q: I know its on the product spec sheet but what inputs are there and what does this TV support?
A: supports: 480i, 480p and 1080i
component inputs: theres 2 aka CVI and AV4
composite inputs: theres 3 aka AV1, AV2, AV3(side input)
s-video inputs: theres 2 aka AV2, AV3(side of TV again)

Q: Many ppl are happy with their purchase but is this TV really worth it and how much?
A: cost: 359$ + tax(varies by ur state) + free shipping
comes in and out of stock randomly, currently not even on the site
worth the money IMO since i wouldve never bought a TV myself over $400 i believe i got a great deal

Anymore questions I'll be unhappy to answer, and your welcome u LACAGs(lazy-ass CAGs)

and Jam no upconversion if i did it right keep 720p on and turn off 480p and 1080i right?
well when i do that no image even shows up on the TV but i know the game is on since i can push start and hear "soul calibur 2"

also have trouble running Fable in 480p on this TV, idk if its the TV or the game or what, but i checked HDTVarcade and its supposed to support 480p, tried running it in widescreen and normal but no success, its all blurred and unplayble until i turn off the 480p

[quote name='greyzieoriental']FAQ:
Q: what are the 5 square at the bottom of the TV next to the power button and how come only the 3rd one lights up and the other do nothing?
A: Ok this is my question so someone answer for me cuz its bothering me nightly

Q: How do I meet SAM?
A: to meet SAM: turn on TV press 062596 exit (warning! be careful)

Q: I'm too lazy too look through the thread, Can u tell me the dimensions?
A: Dimensions: 22" deep 35" wide 22 1/2" tall about 125lbs

Q: Also what are the screen dimensions cuz i failed algebra?
A: Screen dimensions: 15" tall 26 1/2" wide 30" diagonal

Q: What about the controller?
A: what about it? 40 button controller with universal programming(counted light switch as 1 button incase u count 39)

Q: I know its on the product spec sheet but what inputs are there and what does this TV support?
A: supports: 480i, 480p and 1080i
component inputs: theres 2 aka CVI and AV4
composite inputs: theres 3 aka AV1, AV2, AV3(side input)
s-video inputs: theres 2 aka AV2, AV3(side of TV again)

Q: Many ppl are happy with their purchase but is this TV really worth it and how much?
A: cost: 359$ + tax(varies by ur state) + free shipping
comes in and out of stock randomly, currently not even on the site
worth the money IMO since i wouldve never bought a TV myself over $400 i believe i got a great deal

Anymore questions I'll be unhappy to answer, and your welcome u LACAGs(lazy-ass CAGs)

and Jam no upconversion if i did it right keep 720p on and turn off 480p and 1080i right?
well when i do that no image even shows up on the TV but i know the game is on since i can push start and hear "soul calibur 2"

also have trouble running Fable in 480p on this TV, idk if its the TV or the game or what, but i checked HDTVarcade and its supposed to support 480p, tried running it in widescreen and normal but no success, its all blurred and unplayble until i turn off the 480p[/QUOTE]

ahh yes this is a common problem with fable and Jade empire.

1. Open the Xbox tray and place Jade Empire in it.
2. Go into your video setting on your dashboard and turn the 480p option off.
3. Turn it back on
4. Now hold both triggers down and click both analog sticks down.
5. You should see the screen flicker for a moment, and while you continue to hold the buttons down, close the tray and start the game.
6. Jade Empire will now work in 480p.
icon_smile.gif

follow those steps to get fable to work on 480p, this is from the official site.

I just got this TV a couple weeks ago. I have some questions for other owners. Does your power button sit flush on the tv? My power button is a little off from the hole, its like further back and up so its not even with the hole. It still turns on and off fine, but it just annoys me cuz it looks bad.

Also, does yours make like a weird buzzing noise when you turn it on?

Finally, when the screen is black, do you notice any faint bars on the screen?

Thanks in advance, Im kind of wondering if these things are big enough for me to call up phillips and ask for a replacement. I love the tv though, dvds, ps2, and xbox look great.

[quote name='Pratt75']Does anyone have any updated video settings?

Playing my PS2 on here looks like crap. Its hooked up with the standard av cables.[/QUOTE]

Wal-Mart has the HD PS2 cables for $19.99 and they are a must have !
God of War looks better than the majority of XBOX games with them

[quote name='pinoy530']I just got this TV a couple weeks ago. I have some questions for other owners. Does your power button sit flush on the tv? My power button is a little off from the hole, its like further back and up so its not even with the hole. It still turns on and off fine, but it just annoys me cuz it looks bad.

Also, does yours make like a weird buzzing noise when you turn it on?

Finally, when the screen is black, do you notice any faint bars on the screen?

Thanks in advance, Im kind of wondering if these things are big enough for me to call up phillips and ask for a replacement. I love the tv though, dvds, ps2, and xbox look great.[/QUOTE]

1. Not sure what you mean but the power button is definitely flimsy.

2. Weird buzzing noise? Yeah... but, it's similar to the noise of a computer monitor, it's nothing too bad. Sounds normal-esque.

3. I have that too, but it doesn't bother me since my screen is hardly ever black.

[quote name='8ballGuy']ahh yes this is a common problem with fable and Jade empire.

1. Open the Xbox tray and place Jade Empire in it.
2. Go into your video setting on your dashboard and turn the 480p option off.
3. Turn it back on
4. Now hold both triggers down and click both analog sticks down.
5. You should see the screen flicker for a moment, and while you continue to hold the buttons down, close the tray and start the game.
6. Jade Empire will now work in 480p.
icon_smile.gif

follow those steps to get fable to work on 480p, this is from the official site.[/QUOTE]

ahhhh I didnt even kno that for jade empire ,I thought the game just looked crappy I was begining to wonder why reviewers were saying it has beautiful graphics. well thanks for the solution when I get home from work I am going to try that out .

[quote name='greyzieoriental']
[/QUOTE]

good someone did it thanks for letting the people know here who have yest to purchase the tv . I kno I posted somewhere that my CRT HDtv does the upconversion . I read it on the spec sheet but I have yet to try it im curious now as soon as I get home Im am going to try it with soul cal 2 .

How does this TV compare to the 30-inch TV they have for $418 on their website? Is it worth the extra money to pick up that model instead of waiting for this one to come back in stock?

Im confused with the numbers involving HDTV. What I might be understanding is:

A regular TV is 480i, then when on a HDTV it can be kept or changed to widescreen 480p.
Then the real HDTV comes into place with 720i (isnt supported on these tvs) and 1080i

Probably way off, someone correct me.

so, without reading through 20 pages of spec discussion, is there any link to the TV besides the one in the OP? that one seems broken, though maybe that's just how they display out of stock. thanks.

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']so, without reading through 20 pages of spec discussion, is there any link to the TV besides the one in the OP? that one seems broken, though maybe that's just how they display out of stock. thanks.[/QUOTE]

Just keep checking it frequently, it will eventually come back up.

Aparently the last time it was seen was 06-01-2005, 07:33 PM, I havent seen it. Am interested.

And looks like they got rid of LOTS of TVs on the site, almost all the good deals are gone now.

[quote name='Eastsidecracker']Im confused with the numbers involving HDTV. What I might be understanding is:

A regular TV is 480i, then when on a HDTV it can be kept or changed to widescreen 480p.
Then the real HDTV comes into place with 720i (isnt supported on these tvs) and 1080i

Probably way off, someone correct me.[/QUOTE]

The way I understand it is :

480i is all regular TV signals. The "i" means "interlaced". Your TV has a bunch of horizontal lines and every other line refreshes the picture. So imagine all the even numbered lines refresh the picture at once, and then the next frame, all the odd numbered lines refresh. I don't know if that's EXACTLY how it works, but that's the best way I can think of to describe it.

Now, 480p means progressive scan. This way, instead of all the lines refreshing in odd and even numbers, they all refresh ALL the time, keeping the picture much clearer.

Then you go up to 720p (720 progressive lines instead of 480) and 1080i (1080 lines, but interlaced and not progressive). As far as I know, no CRT TVs can show 720p, but some can UPCONVERT the image to 1080i. There are also DVD players that will upconvert a 480p image to 1080i.

Of course, the PS3 is going to support 1080p televisions, but there are very few of those even on the market yet and ones that are are very expensive and won't be affordable for many years.

What you want in a TV is at least 480p (for your basic HDTV from digital cable boxes and most current video games) and 1080i (for true hi-def, for next gen consoles, and upconverting DVD players). Sometimes (typically on lower end plasmas) you'll run across "EDTV", which is faux HDTV. It only supports 480p, and while the picture looks great, I don't believe its a true hi-definition signal.

Also don't be fooled by "integrated tuner" and "HDTV ready", either. An integrated tuner simply means you can hook up an antenna to the TV and pic up hi-def signals over the air from your local networks. But anyone who is buying a hi-def TV can afford digital cable in hi-def and usually the cable company provides a box that works as an HDTV tuner. Besides, most programs from your local networks aren't in hi-def anyway - mostly only prime time, big name shows (Lost, Desperate Housewives, Survivor, etc) are broadcast in hi-def. Smaller shows like reruns of the Simpsons and your local news are not currently shown in hi-def.

Hope that helped.

[quote name='Eastsidecracker']Yeah thanks.

I read some stuff about HDTV today at http://www.flattv.philips.com/index.cfm?event=main&cat_id=1&subcat_id=3&page=pg4
Where i refreshes half the line in a sixteenth of a second, and p refreshes the whole line in 1/16 second.

And this tv doesnt automatically upvert the 720 to 1080 right? (I dont really care still looking for a cheap hdtv)[/QUOTE]

good job on the explanation MMN I was gonna type up something like that but then I forgot about it . And thanks to greyzieoriental he has confirmed that this tv does not upconvert to 1080i .

I did run a check on my tv with soul cal 2 , and the manual was correct my tv upconverted the signal to 1080i . So I was happy

[quote name='jam3582']good job on the explanation MMN I was gonna type up something like that but then I forgot about it . And thanks to greyzieoriental he has confirmed that this tv does not upconvert to 1080i .

I did run a check on my tv with soul cal 2 , and the manual was correct my tv upconverted the signal to 1080i . So I was happy[/QUOTE]
What kind do you have?

[quote name='mmn']Besides, most programs from your local networks aren't in hi-def anyway - mostly only prime time, big name shows (Lost, Desperate Housewives, Survivor, etc) are broadcast in hi-def. Smaller shows like reruns of the Simpsons and your local news are not currently shown in hi-def.

Hope that helped.[/QUOTE]
But even the programs that are not hi-def look a helluva lot better than they do on the non-hd channel. Like he said, don't worry about the hd tuner, get the cable box. With my cable company it's only 5 bucks more per month for the combo hd/pvr box.

[quote name='mmn']Also don't be fooled by "integrated tuner" and "HDTV ready", either. An integrated tuner simply means you can hook up an antenna to the TV and pic up hi-def signals over the air from your local networks. But anyone who is buying a hi-def TV can afford digital cable in hi-def and usually the cable company provides a box that works as an HDTV tuner. Besides, most programs from your local networks aren't in hi-def anyway - mostly only prime time, big name shows (Lost, Desperate Housewives, Survivor, etc) are broadcast in hi-def. Smaller shows like reruns of the Simpsons and your local news are not currently shown in hi-def.[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to add in that some areas of the country don't have all the local HD feeds available through their cable company - which includes mine. Therefore for now having a built in HD tuner is nice so for the time being one can access those stations that aren't available through cable.

[quote name='Eastsidecracker']What kind do you have?[/QUOTE]

That would be this sucka

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-nAoZm6K8SR6/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=148350&id=essential_info&i=158KV30HS4

I did alot of research on an HDTV , I wanted to go the cheapest way since its not for my living room but for my room . There were a couple of sony HDTVs that were better in quality but I wanted to change my old ass tv already so I didnt feel like saving more and ordered this one .

but not for that price I found a deal for 800 bux no tax and free shipping. I paid 100 more for the extended warranty . Im am very happy with this tv I have no idea though how broadcast channels look on it because all I do is play games .

[quote name='abitteroldman']How does this TV compare to the 30-inch TV they have for $418 on their website? Is it worth the extra money to pick up that model instead of waiting for this one to come back in stock?[/QUOTE]

Im curious about the same thing. I was thinking of dropping the extra money for this tv set. Does anyone know why this one is slightly more expensive? Are there any major differences between this set and the set that was originally posted

[quote name='Verbal']Im curious about the same thing. I was thinking of dropping the extra money for this tv set. Does anyone know why this one is slightly more expensive? Are there any major differences between this set and the set that was originally posted[/QUOTE]
The more expensive one is a newer model, unlike the cheaper one, you can select your aspect ratio on 480p. It has an HDMI port, and it looks slightly different.

Well I took advantage of the deal and while it was a pain, I eventually got an HDTV that's pretty darn good for the price.

I got the TV, unpacked it and hooked it up. My heart sank when I turned it on. Everything was green across all the different inputs, including the ANT, S-Video, composite, and the component. It looked like the old green Apple II monitors.

To make a long story short, Philips tech support was great and got me in touch with a local repair shop that does warranty service. The service shop came out and picked up my television and delevered it back several days later. The red and blue foils were not connected. A quick solder job did the trick.

While I can't believe this TV passed Philips quality control, I am now completely happy with this television! Hooray for CAG!

Update to my TV situation :

I got my 27 LCD yesterday. It works fantastic. No dead pixels (thank god) and everything seems to be working perfectly. Video games and DVDs look AMAZING on this thing and regular TV looks better. There's two little annoyances. One, when in a 4:3 picture I'm losing quite a bit off a regular 4:3 27 inch TV (but I expected that so its not a big deal). Second, I can't figure out how to quickly go from 4:3 to 16:9 aspect ratio without having to go into the menu of the TV. I e-mailed Viewsonic and they should give me an answer on how to do it faster.

I'm really happy I just decided to spend the money and get what I really wanted. This thing is amazing and there's absolutely no geometry problems, blooming problems, or anything else I had with the Philips. Can't wait to get my HD cable working and see ESPN in high def.

Question for the HD gurus here. I just got a set of the all in one xbox/PS2 component cables right. I hook them up the xbox and the xbox works fine and I have sound through my stereo system. Everything is great so far. I turn on the PS2 and I am getting video but NO SOUND from my stereo system. I have tried screwing with the PS2 system settings and the tv settings but I still am not getting any sound.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips to correct this? It kind of weird because using an s video cable(with looks like crap) with the PS2 there is sound but not with the new component cables. Thanks a bunch.

I FIGURED IT OUT but I can't believe it was such a simple thing. I guess the systems can't share the audio cable. What I mean is once I unplugged the audio from the back of one system the audio came on for the other. Amazingly simple but I am glad thats all it is.

[quote name='Pratt75']Question for the HD gurus here. I just got a set of the dual xbox/PS2 component cables right. I hook them up the xbox and the xbox works fine and I have sound through my stereo system. Everything is great so far. I turn on the PS2 and I am getting video but NO SOUND from my stereo system. I have tried screwing with the PS2 system settings and the tv settings but I still am not getting any sound.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips to correct this? It kind of weird because using an s video cable(with looks like crap) with the PS2 there is sound but not with the new component cables. Thanks a bunch.[/QUOTE]
Hmmm, doesnt seem like theres anything wrong with your TV, since the xbox works fine, but something wrong with your ps2, or cables. Check to make sure you have everything in corectly. Mostly check the ps2 audio cables. And component cables consist or 3 video cables, 2 audio, maybe you pluged something in wrong.

[quote name='Eastsidecracker']Hmmm, doesnt seem like theres anything wrong with your TV, since the xbox works fine, but something wrong with your ps2, or cables. Check to make sure you have everything in corectly. Mostly check the ps2 audio cables. And component cables consist or 3 video cables, 2 audio, maybe you pluged something in wrong.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip Eastside but it works now just buy unplugging the audio cable from the back of one system. They both can't be plugged in at the same time for some reason. Weird but I'm just glad I figured it out what the hell was wrong. Thanks man.

Pratt - Sounds like you got the same (maybe) Mad Catz Xbox / PS2 Component Cable I got.

What I found was if the PS2 had "power" (meaning it WASN'T turned off in back), I wouldn't get sound or Video from the Xbox. But if I do turn the PS2 off with the power switch on back, the Xbox works fine.

Saves me from unplugging the cable from one or the other, and it's pretty each to find the power switch with your fingers. Maybe that helps...

bread's done
Back