$301 ticket later....

Just remember of all the things that can keep you from buying games.... and this will force you to be an uber-CAG, since money is tight.

40 in a school zone, I did that all the time. Luckily it was always the same road (leaving high school I passed by an elementary school), and the cop was always in the same place.

Anywhere else and I would agree with you on it being BS, but ya gotta keep the kids safe, even if you did miss the sign.

I recommend fighting the ticket too. Get a lawyer and take it to court. You should start getting mail from lawyers soon because they have ways of getting your info when you get a ticket. At the very least you have a good shot at getting it reduced. The points in particular are important. Here in New Jersey 10 insurance points = you have to use the high risk insurance which will send your car insurance bill through the roof. I know from experience.

It isn't just stuff that is your fault that can do it either. If you have an accident for over a certain amount of damage (I think it was $1000) they CAN hold it against you. Last year I totalled my car on a road in terrible conditions. I was the 2nd of 3 accidents at the same exact spot where a huge lake-like puddle of water had formed on the road, in a 65 mph zone. I saw the first crashed car and started to change lanes when I hit the same puddle that got him and crashed on the opposite side of the road. While I was with the cop getting ready to go back to the police station there was a 3rd accident in the same spot. Even though the cause was not my fault, the water was a result of a drain that had become clogged and nearly completely covered all 3 lanes of the road with a few inches of water there was nothing I could do about it. My insurance company STILL held it against me and dropped me. That accident plus the one speeding ticket I have ever gotten was enough to put me over the points limit. The end result cost me thousands in increased insurance. The sad part is the cop called on the radio and asked for that area to be declared a hazard zone and they'd have a special crew come to clean it up. They turned him down, saying they needed another accident or 2 before they would do something. Had they done so the accident would not have been able to be used against me.

[quote name='crowbb']I recommend fighting the ticket too. Get a lawyer and take it to court. You should start getting mail from lawyers soon because they have ways of getting your info when you get a ticket. At the very least you have a good shot at getting it reduced. The points in particular are important. Here in New Jersey 10 insurance points = you have to use the high risk insurance which will send your car insurance bill through the roof. I know from experience.

It isn't just stuff that is your fault that can do it either. If you have an accident for over a certain amount of damage (I think it was $1000) they CAN hold it against you. Last year I totalled my car on a road in terrible conditions. I was the 2nd of 3 accidents at the same exact spot where a huge lake-like puddle of water had formed on the road, in a 65 mph zone. I saw the first crashed car and started to change lanes when I hit the same puddle that got him and crashed on the opposite side of the road. While I was with the cop getting ready to go back to the police station there was a 3rd accident in the same spot. Even though the cause was not my fault, the water was a result of a drain that had become clogged and nearly completely covered all 3 lanes of the road with a few inches of water there was nothing I could do about it. My insurance company STILL held it against me and dropped me. That accident plus the one speeding ticket I have ever gotten was enough to put me over the points limit. The end result cost me thousands in increased insurance. The sad part is the cop called on the radio and asked for that area to be declared a hazard zone and they'd have a special crew come to clean it up. They turned him down, saying they needed another accident or 2 before they would do something. Had they done so the accident would not have been able to be used against me.[/quote]

Don get a lawyer it will just cost you money. When you talk to the DA tell hm what happened and every time i have done that they have droped everything.

Fighting it is a risk. Basically, the cop usually doesn't show up, but if he does you probably won't win. That being said, everyone I know who faught it has won. I have usually bad luck though. Someone reported that I hit a car in a parking lot, backed up and then drove off (the women who reported me didn't own the car), cops even came to my house (though I was still in the area shopping). Thing was, I got out of the car, checked, went into a store (I had a receipt to prove it if they had wanted it), and then left. I saw no damage, the cop agreed that I had seen no damage, saying he used a flash light and then ran his hand over the spot before he could feel a few bumps. Insurance went up.

Next time I got pulled over for doing about 50 in a 30 on my way to school (I was late and there was some reason I needed to be there, I normally didn't care when I was late). First time I got pulled over, and I appeared completely confused. Cop was nice and gave me a warning. Though I think he had to anyway, he didn't have a speed gun when I went by. I kept saying I didn't know how fast I was going (which was true, didn't know exactly), and kept saying probably 40 (after 10 miles over it goes up 10 bucks a mile). He kept saying it was faster, but that's all he wrote on the warning. No increase.

Third time I ran a red light while looking for a store, when I saw it I stopped. Saw the cop car sitting there, saw that I couldn't stay in the middle of the road, then continued slowly waiting for sirens. Cop took my id but came back a minute later saying he had an accident he had to get to, so nothing there. No increase.

Fourth time I got a ticket for going 76 in a 65 on the new york state thruway. I would have fought that one, but I didn't feel like driving from boston to syracuse. After later trips I realized NY is a lot different than MA north of boston and NH, where people regularly go high 70's without catching a cops attention. The NY thruway is swarming with cops. Insurance went up.

Fifth one was I was going 70 in a very light rain on the new york state thruway. I started passing a truck (didn't increase spead), and the car spun out in the left lane, first hitting the rail on the right side then stopping when it hit the left side. About 6k damage (insurance covered), though nothing in the car was affected, besides I spilt my coffee (my pets and myself were fine). Not my fault, insurance went up.

Sixth time was I had just found out my friend was seriously thinking about joining the army. When I dropped him off the whole time home I was thinking about what could happened if he joined, him getting killed etc., so I was out of it. Anyway, cop pulled me over claiming that my tire drifted into the breakdown lane, and then the left lane. No one was around me at the time. The cop even told me I could fight it. I would have, but that was december 30th and I was going back to toronto Jan 2nd, so I wouldn't be there for the court date. No one can believe I got a ticket for this. Insurance went up.

bread's done
Back