360 Backwards Compatibility Thread - Updated 3/30

It would be nice to see some Marvel games like X-Men Legends 2 and Ultimate Spider-Man in this update. Some Capcom fighters wouldn't be bad either. Though really I just wish Chaos Theory would lose the problem it has with the autoupdate so I could do the co-op on the 360.

There's an interesting article in Game Informer this month about backward compatability. The interviewee, who works for microsoft, claims that having a 360 version of a game does not affect whether it will be worked on for backward compatability but rather they've started with the easy ones to emulate and are working on the harder ones as they go along. I think this might be the case because look at Tony Hawk American Wasteland. Its available for 360 and the old XBox and its on the BC list.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']There's an interesting article in Game Informer this month about backward compatability. The interviewee, who works for microsoft, claims that having a 360 version of a game does not affect whether it will be worked on for backward compatability but rather they've started with the easy ones to emulate and are working on the harder ones as they go along. I think this might be the case because look at Tony Hawk American Wasteland. Its available for 360 and the old XBox and its on the BC list.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this has been their stance from the beginning. It also explains why games like Catwoman got emulated: it was either very easy, or had a similar engine to another game they already completed.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Yeah, this has been their stance from the beginning. It also explains why games like Catwoman got emulated: it was either very easy, or had a similar engine to another game they already completed.[/QUOTE]

Like Alias.

Now that a second wave of 360 games is coming and plenty more in the near future my worries about backwards compatibility have dropped to around zero. I won't be revisiting any old XBOX games.......

[quote name='Jaxcomet']Now that a second wave of 360 games is coming and plenty more in the near future my worries about backwards compatibility have dropped to around zero. I won't be revisiting any old XBOX games.......[/QUOTE]

And that's exactly what Microsoft wants.

[quote name='Jaxcomet']Now that a second wave of 360 games is coming and plenty more in the near future my worries about backwards compatibility have dropped to around zero. I won't be revisiting any old XBOX games.......[/QUOTE]

fucking christ on a bicycle, could you at least keep stuff like that to yourself? Glad your happy with your system, but Scorch hit it on the head, that's what MS wants. They never intended to follow-up because they knew gamers have short memories, and they blatantly lied to their customers about persuing this and having their goal be "every game eventually compatible." Whether or not it's "difficult to emulate" is irrelevant - they're not even going to put forth the effort and man-hours in the first place.

Seriously - it's enough to make me want to get rid of my system now instead of waiting for Rev or PS3. More than anything else, I hate it when the companies out and out LIE to us. Saying stuff like the quote above just lets them know they can get away with it.

now that Halo 1 + 2 are BC, they don't really care and I doubt the average xbox fan cares either.

anybody know if newer xbox games are backwards compatible... ??? I want to grab the new hitman.. but alas... my old xbox is gone.. and...my pile of unplayable xbox 1 games just keeps growing.

[quote name='rajchakrabarti']anybody know if newer xbox games are backwards compatible... ??? I want to grab the new hitman.. but alas... my old xbox is gone.. and...my pile of unplayable xbox 1 games just keeps growing.[/QUOTE]

So far I don't know of any that have been and my guess that trend will unfortunately continue for sometime. Though I still don't get all the reasons why...

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']So far I don't know of any that have been and my guess that trend will unfortunately continue for sometime. Though I still don't get all the reasons why...[/QUOTE]

Because Microsoft has our money already and does not have to do anything they said.

[quote name='ryanbph']I don't remeber them claiming every game. It was more along the lines of all top selling games.[/QUOTE]

They said their plan was to EVENTUALLY have every game done.

[quote name='KaneRobot']fucking christ on a bicycle, could you at least keep stuff like that to yourself? Glad your happy with your system, but Scorch hit it on the head, that's what MS wants. They never intended to follow-up because they knew gamers have short memories, and they blatantly lied to their customers about persuing this and having their goal be "every game eventually compatible." Whether or not it's "difficult to emulate" is irrelevant - they're not even going to put forth the effort and man-hours in the first place.

Seriously - it's enough to make me want to get rid of my system now instead of waiting for Rev or PS3. More than anything else, I hate it when the companies out and out LIE to us. Saying stuff like the quote above just lets them know they can get away with it.[/quote] Exactly. fuck you Microsoft. You guys are fucking liars.

They did state end of March. Last I checked it was still March. Yes I am angry to but I'm not going to point fingers till March 31st hits and we see nothing. Then I'm going to lay the F bomb on Microsoft.

I'm hopeful for the XBox games on XBLA though. Assuming we have to buy a "key" to play it (a script that'll verify our system ID and gamertag or something), they'll have it stored on their servers and they could modify anything at any time. They could make Halo 1 have online play. And that would make everything worth it (The fact that anything could be modified, not that Halo 1 would be on Live).

That was awful nice of M$ to change the list to say last updated FEB (it wasnt) just so it doesnt look like its been 4 months since an update......

[quote name='Staind204']That was awful nice of M$ to change the list to say last updated FEB (it wasnt) just so it doesnt look like its been 4 months since an update......[/quote]

they did add "yourself!fitness"

lol

[quote name='mackaikai']they did add "yourself!fitness"

lol[/QUOTE]

Yourself!Fitness is a straight-up Renderware game .
Just like the Barbie game , that everyone is wigging out over being on the list .

[quote name='Richlough']Yourself!Fitness is a straight-up Renderware game .
Just like the Barbie game , that everyone is wigging out over being on the list .[/quote]
arent most ea games render ware ?

[quote name='jam3582']arent most ea games render ware ?[/QUOTE]

They probably are/will be now since the aquired Criterion , the makers of the game engine .
But I'm not sure about any older games .
Usually they say on the packaging .
Here's a link to a small list
It says "RenderWare is currently powering over 500 games in development or released."

List has been updated further, 3 games added

World Soccer Winning Eleven 9
Black
Star Wars Battlefront II

Still pretty weak sauce but I guess something beats nothing

[quote name='Richlough']Yourself!Fitness is a straight-up Renderware game .
Just like the Barbie game , that everyone is wigging out over being on the list .[/QUOTE]
The GTA games are built on Renderware, as is Black, so looks like they're cracking that cookie slowly. Burnout can't be too far off.

Sweet Black finally added? Too little too late, now I am just waiting on a price drop for that game.
Waiting for all POPs to go backwards and hopefully more Live games, especially 2d fighters.

[quote name='coolsteel']List has been updated further, 3 games added

World Soccer Winning Eleven 9
Black
Star Wars Battlefront II

Still pretty weak sauce but I guess something beats nothing[/QUOTE]

but you failed to mention that they fixed:

Darkwatch™
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas™
Half-Life® 2
Fable®
Fable®: The Lost Chapters™
Forza Motorsport™
Ninja Gaiden®
Ninja Gaiden® Black
SSX 3
Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell® Chaos Theory™
kill.switch
World Series Baseball® 2K3

which FOR ME is better than adding any new games.

[quote name='AshesofWake']but you failed to mention that they fixed:

Darkwatch™
Half-Life® 2
Fable®
Forza Motorsport™
Ninja Gaiden®
Ninja Gaiden® Black
SSX 3
kill.switch

which FOR ME is better than adding any new games.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Fable was downright horrible before, I haven't tried it yet but I'm hoping it will be better than that garbage it was before.

Finally, Star Wars Battlefront II is BC! I've been waiting to play it on my 360 ever since I got it for Christmas!

[quote name='AshesofWake']but you failed to mention that they fixed:

Darkwatch™
Half-Life® 2
Fable®
Forza Motorsport™
Ninja Gaiden®
Ninja Gaiden® Black
SSX 3
kill.switch

which FOR ME is better than adding any new games.[/QUOTE]

How can you be happy for the fact that they fixed what was supposed to be done 4 months ago. Sure it's good that these games are working properly, but the bottom line is they fucked them up originally and it looks like they are going to continue to fuck BC up.

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']Where the hell are Riddick or Doom 3?!?!?!? :mad:[/quote] GODDAMNRIGHT! I've been waiting for BC on Doom 3 since I got the damn 360 BTW I tried Ninja Gaiden w/ the new update & it's definatly better - not 100% - I noticed a minor amount of slowdown in the airship when you destroy the power, but besides that it's silky smooth

It's very interesting that Black was added to the list. I thought I remember hearing someone that worked on the game say it would never be BC.

Finally Star Wars Battlefront II is added to the list. Now I just hope they add the Prince of Persia Trilogy, DOOM, Riddick and Star Wars Republic Commando.

ANyone know if WE9 is buggy? If not, I may actually pick this up. Most everyone says this is better than FIFA. (I've only owned a GC before this so I've been stuck with FIFA)

[quote name='Scorch']It's very interesting that Black was added to the list. I thought I remember hearing someone that worked on the game say it would never be BC.[/QUOTE]
Actually, the developers of Black said there would absolutely be no XBOX 360 version of the game, so they asked MS to rush it and make it BC since there was no chance of lost sales.

Xbox 360 backwards compatibility list grows - a little

Rob Fahey 10:32 30/03/2006
Three new titles enter the list, 12 old titles get improved compatibility

Microsoft has made a minor update to the Xbox 360 backwards compatibility list, adding patches to allow three new titles to run on the new console - namely Black, Star Wars Battlefront II, and Winning Eleven 9.

The update, which is the first change to the list of backwards compatible titles in several months, also fixes issues with a number of games which previously worked with the Xbox 360 but had bugs in the compatibility code, including Ninja Gaiden, Fable, Half-Life 2 and GTA San Andreas.

Details of the new update were posted on the popular blog of Xbox Live director of programming Larry Hyrb (better known by his GamerTag, Major Nelson), and the update appears to apply to European users as well as US users, according to comments left on the blog.

As with all previous backwards compatibility patches, users can download these new updates by putting the Xbox game that requires them into the Xbox 360 drive while connected to Xbox Live. They can also be downloaded to a PC from the Xbox.com website and transferred to the Xbox 360 on a CD-R.

Although only a small number of games have been added to the list with this update, Microsoft's stated goal is to eventually have every Xbox game working on the Xbox 360 - although at this rate of progress, it looks like it could take a long time for that objective to be met.
Link

I'm playing Winning Eleven 9 on my 360 right now.....sofar the game runs flawlessly, running it on 480p mode and the graphics look a bit better, cleaner.

This is the one game that I really wanted to be added to the BC list and my prayers have been answered :)

bread's done
Back