360 Data Migration Kit Discussion

[quote name='macross233']It was just clarified to me that an overseas phone rep is not authorized to ship the migration kit to a USA address. I'm off to fax a form now.

Let's see if the "On Order" trick still works.[/QUOTE]

From what I read people were able to call the 800 number and easily request the kit in the past, even without owning an Elite. That was not my experience because the system would not let him do it without the serial for the Elite. He then looked it up to see if he could sell me one, which of course he couldn't either. lol.

Hopefully you have better luck. I found an Ebay seller with the kit and the HD, it'll end up being $87 after cashback, then I can sell my 20gb and the kit separately and probably get a good deal of that back on top of it.

I just successfully faxed it using faxzero.com.

When I called them earlier today, it was a US phone rep. He said the only way to get this done in the US was to fax the form in. Somehow my phone knew I didn't want to hear anymore and dropped the call. Let's see how long it takes this time. I'll probably give it another week before I call them again.

Does anyone know anything about a new data disc? I just got a clearance 120GB HDD at Target but I can't get the data to transfer. It keeps saying to attach the original HD (which it is), but it keeps showing a picture of a 20GB and not my 60GB. I read somewhere someone saying there is new transfer software.

After fighting with XBOX for an hour they said they would send me a new kit because the think the cable is bad. If they send me just a cable does anyone have the newer software?

Well I wish I knew. I found the people with the same problem at NEOGAF and I can't post there yet to ask. But here is the post from NeoGaf:

I fixed my problem with transferring data to or from a 60GB HDD. There are two versions of the software out there. The one that comes with a retail 120GB HDD will only transfer from 20GB HDDs and not 60s at all. But if you request one from Microsoft, they give you a newer version of the software that will work with all sizes of HDDs.

But all I know is after I press Continue on the software it comes up with a screen saying to attach the original hard drive and there's a picture on the right that clearly shows a 20GB HD being placed onto the XBOX.

So I finally found out the original tech call was sending my just the cable but I called just now and got the sweetest AMERICAN girl and she's sending me the whole kit, so we'll see in about a week if it works - man I hate waiting :cry:

Bought a used 120GB on eBay and faxed the "on order" request on Wednesday. We'll see what happens. If they've caught onto the "on order" trick, maybe we can get the conga going again.

[quote name='gkrykewy']Bought a used 120GB on eBay and faxed the "on order" request on Wednesday. We'll see what happens. If they've caught onto the "on order" trick, maybe we can get the conga going again.[/QUOTE]

I am supposed to receive the migration kit very soon and would have no problem sending it over to you if you're next in line.

[quote name='thegamer4787']I am supposed to receive the migration kit very soon and would have no problem sending it over to you if you're next in line.[/quote]

I assume you're the one I'll be sending it to. I really thought my new 360 would have been here last week, but I'm still waiting on it.

[quote name='thegamer4787']I am supposed to receive the migration kit very soon and would have no problem sending it over to you if you're next in line.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, sir! I'll keep you posted.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']I assume you're the one I'll be sending it to. I really thought my new 360 would have been here last week, but I'm still waiting on it.[/QUOTE]

Alright, well I'm planning on trading my old 360 for an arcade unit this week because gamestop is offering an extra $40 toward the trade in of a next generation console and my warranty is almost up. I believe that the trade in bonus is only offered until 11/27.

Anyway, I currently have a 20gb and a 120gb drive and was going to transfer the 20gb data to the 120gb drive. It seems that I won't have the migration kit by the time that I have to trade the console in. My new plan will probably be to trade in my old console without the 20gb drive and then use the memory card which comes with the arcade unit to transfer my data from the 20gb to the 120gb hd. Does this sound like it will generally work? I figure that individual game saves will be less than 256mb and I can just re-download the xbox live arcade games.

[quote name='thegamer4787']Alright, well I'm planning on trading my old 360 for an arcade unit this week because gamestop is offering an extra $40 toward the trade in of a next generation console and my warranty is almost up. I believe that the trade in bonus is only offered until 11/27.

Anyway, I currently have a 20gb and a 120gb drive and was going to transfer the 20gb data to the 120gb drive. It seems that I won't have the migration kit by the time that I have to trade the console in. My new plan will probably be to trade in my old console without the 20gb drive and then use the memory card which comes with the arcade unit to transfer my data from the 20gb to the 120gb hd. Does this sound like it will generally work? I figure that individual game saves will be less than 256mb and I can just re-download the xbox live arcade games.[/quote]
You only need one 360 to transfer the hard drive data.

[quote name='Danil ACE']You only need one 360 to transfer the hard drive data.[/QUOTE]

I understand this. My point was that I need to trade my old xbox sooner than I will be receiving the migration kit and therefore will not be trading my 20gb hd along with the console itself toward the purchase of a new arcade unit.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']When clearing out my old 20gb hard drive is there any way to erase the content on it (i.e. just deleting profiles deletes the content as well?).[/QUOTE]
If you transfer content from the 20GB to a larger drive, your 20GB is wiped clean.

[quote name='thegamer4787']I understand this. My point was that I need to trade my old xbox sooner than I will be receiving the migration kit and therefore will not be trading my 20gb hd along with the console itself toward the purchase of a new arcade unit.[/quote]

Once you get your new arcade unit, plug in the old 20gb and see if it works. I think harddrive content is locked to console units. It may be fixed by a simple account/profile recovery. Any downloaded videos/other content will be protected by DRM, but that can be taken care of easily too. More importantly, check the game saves. Rock Band I know is a protected game save. If that works, you're in the clear. Just sell the old system, wait for the migration kit, and you'll be fine.

Got my new 360 today. Will be transferring data tonight and be sending out the kit with tomorrow's mail. Alex D. is next in line. You should have it by this weekend as it's shipping from KS.

I finally got mine via USPS.

"On Order" trick still works, folks.

Bad news: Disc doesn't load. Says "Play DVD" when inserted and nothing auto loads, even when I set "Startup" to "Disc". I'll try calling for a replacement disc soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
This might not be relevant at all, but I was having problems with my disc at first too. I tried it a bunch of times and it kept telling me it was unreadable. I called Microsoft and they agreed to send me a replacement, but then I tried it later and, after taking off the hard drive, it worked. It might just be dumb luck, as I don't know why hard drive would prevent the disc from being read, but I figured you might as well try it if you haven't already.

So the kits definitely work after they've been used once? (I assume so if the "conga" is still on going ;)

Some guy on another board was telling me you can't sell them or use them on another console after one-time usage...ughhh!

I'm gonna try the "On Order" deal again.

[quote name='elpolloestupendo']This might not be relevant at all, but I was having problems with my disc at first too. I tried it a bunch of times and it kept telling me it was unreadable. I called Microsoft and they agreed to send me a replacement, but then I tried it later and, after taking off the hard drive, it worked. It might just be dumb luck, as I don't know why hard drive would prevent the disc from being read, but I figured you might as well try it if you haven't already.[/quote]

It was really odd. It would say "Play DVD" and the video playing would just say "Insert Disc into an xbox 360". Uh, ok. No unreadable disc warning, or any other warnings. Data side of disc looked perfectly fine.

So, I boiled the disc. It was the first time having to boil one. 30 seconds floating on top of boiling water, cooled it off, wiped it clean, and success! My hard drive is now in the process of transferring.

I just got $40 for my transfer kit on ebay. :hot:

I actually got two of them; ordered one when I was going to buy a used drive. But I ended up getting a new drive when CC clearanced them, so I ended up with e second from that. It ends tonight on ebay.

I received the transfer kit and should be using it within a day or so. Is someone currently waiting for the transfer kit? If not, I can send it back to Access_Denied.

I tried the 'on order' trick and i got a letter back from Xbox last Tues with the serial number highlighted and a letter saying they need my serial. Bummer.

I have managed to transfer most of my stuff via my 64mb card or re-downloading it, but a few items either will not fit or do not want to copy. I hate to lose Hexic HD :(

Does the cable allow xbox1 game saves to transfer? Has anoyeon had any luck with DOAX2 saves?

I think i am short on the reqs, but my goozex rep is solid. If anyone could spare a cable i promise to have it turned around in 24 hours.

I used the "On order from Amazon" response and sent the form via fax about a week ago. Kit showed up today shipped from Indiana. Will be ebaying it tonight since I already did the drive transfer - 20GB to 60GB. Kit will almost pay for what I spent on the 60GB HD after the cash back.

Exactly. Especially with the Live-Cashback. Sell your old 20 GB and the transfer kit, with some cash back, pretty much pays for itself

does anyone know how long it takes microsoft to send the transfer kit, (id ask to borrow this one in circulation, but i dont have 2 i-trader so o-well) but i ordered one from microsoft n i really want to use my new hard drive, i am under a gig on my 20 and i have a 1600 point card to be used. so if anyone knows about how long it takes could you please pm me if thats not to much trouble. thank you.

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']does anyone know how long it takes microsoft to send the transfer kit, (id ask to borrow this one in circulation, but i dont have 2 i-trader so o-well) [/QUOTE]

I faxed my form in on a Wednesday morning and got the kit the following Monday in the mail.

I don't know if you guys still have any use for this 'conga', but I sent in for two more cables yesterday. I used the 'on order' trick. Hopefully we'll be able to send these to needy CAGs a little faster. It's already helped 5 CAGs, hopefully we can make it more.

i might need to borrow the cables in two weeks when i get my hard drive, so if it's alright with you guys continuing the conga a little longer. thanks!

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']does anyone know how long it takes microsoft to send the transfer kit, (id ask to borrow this one in circulation, but i dont have 2 i-trader so o-well) but i ordered one from microsoft n i really want to use my new hard drive, i am under a gig on my 20 and i have a 1600 point card to be used. so if anyone knows about how long it takes could you please pm me if thats not to much trouble. thank you.[/quote]
MS told me 3-10 business days. I'm wondering why you guys don't request one from MS instead of trying to wait in line here on CAG? And what is this On Order thing people are talking about?

Same here, I ordered one today, just told I was upgrading to a 60 gig, and they are sending it out...

I purchased a used 120 GB hdd and ordered the kit over the telephone 2-weeks ago. It showed up today. My Arcade games were not working so MS really had no choice - send the kit or send me more Points.

If these are so easy to get, why do they sell for so much on Ebay?
I'm looking to get a 120gb HDD, but the sticking point for me has been the transfer cable!

Hey, I send my PDF in a oouple weeks ago and actually received two kits, so I'd be happy to send it to whomever is next in the conga so we can get it moving even quicker. Access_Denied, could you let me know where I should send it?

They do go for quite a bit on eBay its weird. I was happy because I just picked up the 120gb kit at Target on clearance then sold the transfer cable and old 20gb drive to cut the cost way down.

[quote name='dv8mad']If these are so easy to get, why do they sell for so much on Ebay?
I'm looking to get a 120gb HDD, but the sticking point for me has been the transfer cable![/quote]

The problem was and has been that Microsoft only made these readily available for Elite owners. However, they shot themselves in the foot when they released the new units (60 gb), and apparently didn't put in a measure for helping those owners.
The 'on order' trick refers to put in that phrase on the pdf form that is either faxes or mailed, where you're supposed to put your Elite number.
If Microsoft would only acknowledge their problem, and make these available there would be no Ebay market.
Alternatively, they could make it easy to transfer your information like Sony did. But, let me stop there before the fanboys jump down my throat.

I did not use any trick: I simply called Customer Support and asked for one. I explained that none of my Arcade games were working properly (which is true) with the new 120 GB Hard Drive and that I needed a solution. I also reminded the Customer Service rep just how expensive the 120 GB hdd is, and that I expected a solution. She promised I would get the Migration Kit in 2-weeks, and that is when I received it.

[quote name='dragonjud']The problem was and has been that Microsoft only made these readily available for Elite owners. However, they shot themselves in the foot when they released the new units (60 gb), and apparently didn't put in a measure for helping those owners.
The 'on order' trick refers to put in that phrase on the pdf form that is either faxes or mailed, where you're supposed to put your Elite number.
If Microsoft would only acknowledge their problem, and make these available there would be no Ebay market.
Alternatively, they could make it easy to transfer your information like Sony did. But, let me stop there before the fanboys jump down my throat.[/quote]

meh
I don't think they made them available at all here in Japan. I have never seen one and no one seems to know what the hell I'm talking about in any stores.:roll:

i think they go for a lot on ebay because of it's hacking abilities right? although still i don't understand y they just don't order one themselves...

also today i received a 2nd transfer cable!

[quote name='eminemobied12']i think they go for a lot on ebay because of it's hacking abilities right? although still i don't understand y they just don't order one themselves...

also today i received a 2nd transfer cable![/QUOTE]

People are idiots. But whatever you, don't teach them anything. Some of us are making a killing selling these things on eBay. :D

And yes, combined with Xplorer360, you can read your drive's contents.

[quote name='KingDox']I got mine in the mail this week. The "on order" trick worked and I got my cable no problems.[/quote]

Same here. They're pretty lax when it comes to these things. :)

If anyone has an extra transfer cable, i would really appreciate it, I traded my old xbox and forgot to write down the serial number and just bought an elite and want to transfer my data.
Or can I just right the elite serial number on the form and not the original xbox serial number? Or do I need both

Who's next in this saucy conga? I just acquired a used 120 GB drive - why anyone would use one and then discard it is beyond me, but that's neither here nor there - and I need a transfer package post-haste.

I could lie on the form or call them, sure, but that would mean I'd have to deal with more corporate, bureaucratic rigmarole. Ick. I prefer you people.

bread's done
Back