360 Data Migration Kit Discussion

I could lie on the form or call them, sure, but that would mean I'd have to deal with more corporate, bureaucratic rigmarole.
You don't have to lie. I purchased a 120 GB hdd from eBay and called MS for the Migration Kit. The entire phone call took 10-minutes and there was no deception. Told them what I had purchased and what I needed - the person I dealt with said I would have it in 14-days and gave me a reference number.

[quote name='theking20']can i get it next. :) just bought an elite.[/quote]

If you do have an elite, and can get the form filled out, you may actually get it from Microsoft faster.

Can I call next!?!?! I am buying a new 360 due to RROD and I want to use the newer bigger HD :)

Please PM when you can ship :)

thanks

I just got the 120gb w/transfer kit today and I will probably start a conga to help some CAGs out. I will make out the pre-requirements at some point. At least for sure to qualify, you have to be on CAG for at least year and/or have some trades here on CAG.

I'm going to try the "on order" method, but I'd be happy to be included in the conga. I'm looking to pick up a 60 or 120gb in the next week.

Great idea for the conga, few of us just purchased the WD 120 from newegg and are gonna upgrade our 360s next week at my place. Access_Denied, I'll toss ya a pm.

I'd like to get in on this as well, please and thanks! I'm finally going to break down and upgrade from my crappy 20gb. I'll be using store credit of course to pay for most of the new HD.

Access_Denied you have a PM :D

[quote name='J7.']Contact MS customer service and ask them to request it for you, it should show up in about 3 days.[/quote]

I tried to do the customer service thing, well I didn't call but I did fax and mail the form. I did both and I have not heard anything back still hoping though since prices are retarded on Ebay and i'd hate to buy one just to use and resell. I was kinda hoping to get in on this conga since I figured we might move faster than M$.

I finally managed to find a used 120gb hd today for $80 from GS so i'm all set now besides the kit. I'd been looking for a cheap HD while waiting to get my hands on a transfer kit. Glad I found it and didn't have to pay retail for a new hd.

[quote name='$hady']I tried to do the customer service thing, well I didn't call but I did fax and mail the form. I did both and I have not heard anything back still hoping though since prices are retarded on Ebay and i'd hate to buy one just to use and resell. I was kinda hoping to get in on this conga since I figured we might move faster than M$.

I finally managed to find a used 120gb hd today for $80 from GS so i'm all set now besides the kit. I'd been looking for a cheap HD while waiting to get my hands on a transfer kit. Glad I found it and didn't have to pay retail for a new hd.[/quote]
If you don't get/hear from them, I would just call 1-800-4MY-XBOX and tell them you just bought a 120 gb hdd. I think its faster if they do it over the phone for you.

[quote name='J7.']If you don't get/hear from them, I would just call 1-800-4MY-XBOX and tell them you just bought a 120 gb hdd. I think its faster if they do it over the phone for you.[/quote]

Well that was surprising simple! I assumed they'd just say call back with the serial number once it arrives, that's what I would say lol... The guy I got was really nice compared to past reps i've dealt with from their call centers. He said 7-10 business days expect a cable. Maybe i'll get lucky and get one from my fax/mail in form as well? lol i'll just be happy with one to use, i'm not greedy.

Monoprice has proven cables are dirt cheap they really should include one in every single highly overpriced hard drive they sell. It'd be nice of them rather than to make all of us early supports have to jump through hoops to upgrade our RROD traps.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']how hard is it to install this HD in your 360? Any tutorials for it?[/quote]

Lots on Youtube, you have to partition the drive a certain way as well I guess from lookin at a couple. I'm not sure as I haven't looked into it. I prefer the real thing since i'm a nerd.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='exileinoblivion']how hard is it to install this HD in your 360? Any tutorials for it?[/quote]

uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3WR9inneEkA

I'd never really looked at any vids since i'd rather have the real deal because i'm stupid like that.

More vids on youtube but this one stood out because it looks exactly like my desk right this minute. I've got a oem bagged laptop hd and a screwdriver laying next to my 360 hd. Got um both today lol laptop hd is for a friends computer though. :lol:

[quote name='$hady']Well that was surprising simple! I assumed they'd just say call back with the serial number once it arrives, that's what I would say lol... The guy I got was really nice compared to past reps i've dealt with from their call centers. He said 7-10 business days expect a cable. Maybe i'll get lucky and get one from my fax/mail in form as well? lol i'll just be happy with one to use, i'm not greedy.

Monoprice has proven cables are dirt cheap they really should include one in every single highly overpriced hard drive they sell. It'd be nice of them rather than to make all of us early supports have to jump through hoops to upgrade our RROD traps.

[/quote]
Ya every CSR from MS turns out to be highly different from the other, either very helpful, semi-helpful, not helpful, hurtful, or clueless. That's cool that it worked out for you. Ya you would think it would make more sense for MS to just include the cable & disc with the HDDs so they don't have to field calls, faxes, and mail, and then ship out the cables and discs all over the world.

I must say, this is my first experience with CAG, and it is definitely a positive one. I just sent Access a PM about getting on the conga, and it's the first place I learned about the "On Order" trick, which I will try tonight. Thanks to you all, and glad to be starting in a great community like this. Next up I'll try trading games, rather then shelling out extra $$ to GS for used games that they make ridiculous profits on.

Well, I'm trying to keep up with the staggering demand for these kits. I tried to order 2 more today. If anybody has one they aren't using, I have a list of people who need them. Just PM me and I'll give you the list.

Here is how I got my cable... FREE! And without fraud...

Called MS support directly: 1-800-4MY-XBOX

Told the person I received a 120 Gb drive as a gift, but could not transfer some of my content using my memory card.

I cited the Viva Pinata save games and Yavin Station DLC for Knights of The Old Republic (standard XBOX game) as examples that I could think of right then, but that there were a few others as well. The problem was that this specific content could not be copied/transfered to the memory card, period.

[Please note that these two strategically picked examples cannot simply be re-downloaded, hence the call to tech support. But the conversation never got that far...]

I feigned total ignorance as to the solution, and indicated that while playing online someone mentioned that I needed a cable? But that I could not find a cable at my local Best Buy (which was a tiny lie, because I never even looked for one).

She promptly confirmed that I would need a cable to transfer everything from my old 20 to the new 120, and that the cable is only available from MS. She then asked for my console SN to look up the registration information, confirmed the shipping/e-mail address they had on file and indicated that I will get the cable in 5 to 10 working days...

I asked her if I could use this same cable with my 2nd console, and she said that her screen said it was 'single use', so I would have to order another cable for my other console. :roll: I asked her if she could send me 2 right away, since I was ready with my other console SN, but she said I would have to place another support call for that console? :drool:

A week later, one kit arrived in the mail. Nice. :applause:

Now I just need to find a cheap 120G for my 2nd console...

Those waiting in the conga keep pestering M$ and you'll get one. Calling is better than faxing and mailing the form. I did both of those a couple weeks ago and nothing but after calling on the 16th I got the transfer kit today via proirity mail. Looked at the reference # on the package and it links to the one I got on the phone. So call call call. :) Thanks to all who helped and of course Access for sharing his with everyone.

Bumping up this old thread. I need a data migration kit and would rather give the money to a CAG than MS. One condition though: I need a kit made past spring 2009 as the older ones couldn't transfer 60gb > 120gb (which is what my scenario is). Anyone willing to send me theirs?

I need a kit as well. Looking to go from 120GB > 120GB (should be no problem right?)

I faxed in the form but haven't heard anything. Going to try and call them tomorrow morning, but from what I hear the program is likely dead. Most of the kits on eBay seem to be knockoffs that require you to transfer to a PC first, which I don't have.

Ok, here's a question for all you 360 migration successes. I'm wanting to improve upon my 20gb hdd and exchange it with the seagate barracuda. How can you exchange the data between the two if you are using the same connections and housings from the original? Thoughts?

If you have a 120gb HDD, they won't send you one as it is supposed to have a cable. Spitfire all the kit's are the same.

Just got off the phone with Microsoft. They said the program for the free kits ended in July so I just ordered one from them for $12.90 shipped, which is just a couple of bucks more than the knockoff ones on eBay. Gotta help the economy!

[quote name='Nightfall']I just called them as well. They told me it would take 2 -3 weeks to arrive. I just got a new 360, and I'm not waiting that long.[/QUOTE]

I ordered one from Microsoft on Monday and I got it today so the 2-3 weeks is maybe what they have to tell you over the phone.

Heya. Just pulled the trigger on a new Elite after the price drop and rebate. Any change the conga is still alive and active? I don't particularly mind paying M$, but would rather not if I had the choice.

Anyone game? If not, I'll call and pay for one.

wow just ordered mine for 12.90$ i bought a 120 gb hard drive from ebay for 53.00$ shipped and it works great, it has a chinese letter on the top left of the screen when in the memory screen to see available memory. but thats just nit picking i guess cuz everything else works great.

[quote name='influenze']wow just ordered mine for 12.90$ i bought a 120 gb hard drive from ebay for 53.00$ shipped and it works great, it has a chinese letter on the top left of the screen when in the memory screen to see available memory. but thats just nit picking i guess cuz everything else works great.[/QUOTE]
That's how you know someone crammed a junky hard drive inside an Xbox HD shell. When it fails, you'll know why.

well maybe so, but i got a 3 year warranty on it. I have also heard that the western drives work great as well. but if i get 3 years out of my hdd from hong kong, then i would have saved 100$ over microsoft.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Except for the Chinese pirates.[/QUOTE]
:applause: Hopefully it will hurt them eventually! Bastards.

Well, I'm most likely picking up the new call of duty bundle but i have a question for those who have done the data transfer. The wording is a bit confusing on their site. My question is in the event the new 250gb comes with some free games/demos will those be deleted if i move my 120 gb hard drive data to it or does the 250 gb preloaded data remain?

Note If you intend to move content from an existing hard drive, such as your 20GB hard drive, to a new destination hard drive, such as to a 60GB hard drive, do not use the destination hard drive before you perform this procedure or you will lose whatever content that you have previously put on that destination drive.

When the transfer is complete, the destination drive will contain all transferable files from the source drive. This includes your saved games and Xbox LIVE downloads. Additionally, the destination drive will contain its preloaded content. The contents of the source drive will be erased.

Is there a link to order one of these? Not talking about the PDF, like an actual ORDER PAGE. I'm willing to pay the 13.

bread's done
Back