360 HD-DVD cash receipt

SlammedNiss

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
Well, here's my story. My wife purchased the HD-DVD add-on drive for me for Xmas. Between the time she purchased it, and the time I received it, she lost the receipt. We've looked everywhere and can't seem to find it. I need it so I can send in for the 5 free HD movies.

Or...

If nobody has one (or is willing to share a copy of one), this is my second plan. Can I purchase another HD drive and make a copy of the receipt then return the drive for a refund? All I need is a copy of the receipt for is the 5-free movies.

Thx

Is it just me, or are we seeing a lot of "need receipt" thread here on CAG lately? -_-

Go to the store and have them print out a copy of the receipt for you.

[quote name='Rig']Is it just me, or are we seeing a lot of "need receipt" thread here on CAG lately? -_-

Go to the store and have them print out a copy of the receipt for you.[/quote]

They'll print out a receipt without me buying anything? I highly doubt it. She paid cash as I take care of all the bills. That's the only way she can buy me anything without me knowing about it.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']They'll print out a receipt without me buying anything? I highly doubt it. She paid cash as I take care of all the bills. That's the only way she can buy me anything without me knowing about it.[/quote]

Go to customer service and tell them the purchase date and such information. Their computers will have the transaction. And they can print you a copy of the receipt.

Or, come up with another reason for me why this won't work. After all the times I have seen this on these boards (and others), I just don't believe the sob stories anymore.

[quote name='Rig']Go to customer service and tell them the purchase date and such information. Their computers will have the transaction. And they can print you a copy of the receipt.

Or, come up with another reason for me why this won't work. After all the times I have seen this on these boards (and others), I just don't believe the sob stories anymore.[/quote]

Sorry you think it's a "sob story". I just thought I'd take the chance of somebody willing to help out. I guess I'll just go buy a 2nd drive and copy the receipt and make the return. It would be a lot easier than trying to track a cash sale through their system. I'll at least be generous enough if somebody has the same dilemma as myself and not try to label them as a scammer.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']Sorry you think it's a "sob story". I just thought I'd take the chance of somebody willing to help out. I guess I'll just go buy a 2nd drive and copy the receipt and make the return. It would be a lot easier than trying to track a cash sale through their system. I'll at least be generous enough if somebody has the same dilemma as myself and not try to label them as a scammer.[/quote]

Well, when you see the "receipt lost" more than a couple times, you start to wonder how/why people can't simply go to the store and ask for a replacement copy (or keep track of their receipts). Instead, they try to ask others for their receipts, find a way to scam a receipt, or make some bizarre rebuy/return method, which is what you apparently are choosing to do.

Not that hard to see why anybody wouldn't raise an eyebrow to the situation.

[quote name='Rig']Well, when you see the "receipt lost" more than a couple times, you start to wonder how/why people can't simply go to the store and ask for a replacement copy (or keep track of their receipts). Instead, they try to ask others for their receipts, find a way to scam a receipt, or make some bizarre rebuy/return method, which is what you apparently are choosing to do.

Not that hard to see why anybody wouldn't raise an eyebrow to the situation.[/quote]
I understand your POV. However, if you were married to my wife, you'd see how easily things get misplaced.

[quote name='nwaugh']I gotta backup Lunar Rig here - especially since you've been a registered member for less than a month.[/quote]
Actually, I've been here just a little over a month. But, it's nice to see you are keeping tabs.
Call me a newb if you want, but I'm more-than-likely older than either one of you. Just because I didn't discover this site until last month doesn't mean I'm out to "pull a fast one". If you aren't willing to help out, then keep your opinions to yourself.

If it's a large retail store, I think some of them scan the serial number during the checkout. They might be able to find your receipt in the system using that.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']I understand your POV. However, if you were married to my wife, you'd see how easily things get misplaced.

This is irrelevant as no one questioned the loss of the receipt.

Actually, I've been here just a little over a month. But, it's nice to see you are keeping tabs.
Call me a newb if you want, but I'm more-than-likely older than either one of you. Just because I didn't discover this site until last month doesn't mean I'm out to "pull a fast one". If you aren't willing to help out, then keep your opinions to yourself.[/QUOTE]

If you had been here longer you would know Rig is a highly respected member of CAG and its not uncommon for others to agree with him.

What's the point of creating the thread if you had already made up your mind? They wouldn't require a receipt if they knew you were going to submit a fraudulent one. It is fraudulent because when you return the drive they are going to take and invalidate your receipt. Resorting to fraud and an additional trip to the store instead of attempting to get a copy of your legitimate receipt puts you in no position to question their morals because you believe yourself to be older. Also you initiated the personal attack on them as they had only commented on the situation. Then you go as far as to tell them to keep their opinions to themselves on their boards after you requested help is ridiculous. And even after all that people are still trying to help you resolve this in an legitimate way. Please remember this thread before posting again.

[quote name='bosskid30']If you had been here longer you would know Rig is a highly respected member of CAG and its not uncommon for others to agree with him.

What's the point of creating the thread if you had already made up your mind? They wouldn't require a receipt if they knew you were going to submit a fraudulent one. It is fraudulent because when you return the drive they are going to take and invalidate your receipt. Resorting to fraud and an additional trip to the store instead of attempting to get a copy of your legitimate receipt puts you in no position to question their morals because you believe yourself to be older. Also you initiated the personal attack on them as they had only commented on the situation. Then you go as far as to tell them to keep their opinions to themselves on their boards after you requested help is ridiculous. And even after all that people are still trying to help you resolve this in an legitimate way. Please remember this thread before posting again.[/quote]

Because I hadn't made up my mind when I first posted this thread. I thought if somebody was willing to help, it would save me from a trip to buy another.

I'm sorry you consider it fraud. I own the drive. I have the UPC label on the outside of the box. I'm not trying to return the drive for $$. I simply want the 5 movies that goes along with it. My wife wasn't aware of the offer, and simply misplaced the receipt. I could probably go and have them search for it, but that could take a lot of time considering the method of payment. I never once questioned their morals. I was simply asking for somebody willing to help out.

Show me where I personally attacked them. I did ask them to keep their opinions of who I am to themselves. Had he simply told me to go back to the store and not try to label me as a scammer, then that would have been different.

As you ask, I will remember this thread. I will remember that what I find sad is the fact that many here are quick to judge others, just because they only found the site a short time ago. I simply asked for somebody willing to help, and Rig jumped at the chance to tell me how tired he is of seeing people post their "Sob" stories just to scam a receipt. All I am trying to acquire is something (5 movies) that legitimantly belongs to me.

the hd dvd drive has a unique serial number scanned by the store when they recieve it....they should be able to find the transaction in their system with that

[quote name='SlammedNiss']Had he simply told me to go back to the store and not try to label me as a scammer, then that would have been different.[/quote]
Read my first post:

[quote name='Rig']Is it just me, or are we seeing a lot of "need receipt" thread here on CAG lately? -_-

Doesn't sound like I labeled you a scammer right there. Everyone could lose a receipt. That's understandable.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']As you ask, I will remember this thread. I will remember that what I find sad is the fact that many here are quick to judge others, just because they only found the site a short time ago. I simply asked for somebody willing to help, and Rig jumped at the chance to tell me how tired he is of seeing people post their "Sob" stories just to scam a receipt. All I am trying to acquire is something (5 movies) that legitimantly belongs to me.[/quote]
Your post count/join date had nothing to do with my response. Had somebody else that has been here for three or four years chosen to ignore my advice to legitimately get a replacement receipt, I would've thought the same way about them as I do you.

[quote name='Malik112099']the hd dvd drive has a unique serial number scanned by the store when they recieve it....they should be able to find the transaction in their system with that[/quote]
I don't think it's worth trying anymore, Malik.

For whatever reason, the OP just doesn't want to go through the process of getting the legitimate receipt back.

I have no idea why returning to customer service with the transaction information would take longer than buying a new drive, taking it home to scan a receipt, and then returning the drive to the store. :roll:

[quote name='SlammedNiss']Had he simply told me to go back to the store and not try to label me as a scammer, then that would have been different.[/quote]
Read my first post:

Doesn't sound like I labeled you a scammer right there. Everyone could lose a receipt. That's understandable.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']As you ask, I will remember this thread. I will remember that what I find sad is the fact that many here are quick to judge others, just because they only found the site a short time ago. I simply asked for somebody willing to help, and Rig jumped at the chance to tell me how tired he is of seeing people post their "Sob" stories just to scam a receipt. All I am trying to acquire is something (5 movies) that legitimantly belongs to me.[/quote]
Your post count/join date had nothing to do with my response. Had somebody else that has been here for three or four years chosen to ignore my advice to legitimately get a replacement receipt, I would've thought the same way about them as I do you.

[quote name='Malik112099']the hd dvd drive has a unique serial number scanned by the store when they recieve it....they should be able to find the transaction in their system with that[/quote]

[quote name='Rig']
I have no idea why returning to customer service with the transaction information would take longer than buying a new drive, taking it home to scan a receipt, and then returning the drive to the store. :roll:[/quote]

Well, I just returned back from the store where it was purchased. I proceeded to customer service with the orginal box w/ UPC still attached, as that's all I had to go by. I explained what had happened, and told the CSR that I was told they could track the sale through the serial number. She looked at me like I was crazy, and told me they only do that with the actual game consoles, NOT any of the accessories that go along with the system. They consider the HD-DVD drive an accessory, so there wasn't anything she could/would do.

Wanna guess what she did tell me to do? Buy another one, make a copy of the receipt, and return it back to the store.

Just a heads up that you might have to include the original receipt with the mail in rebate if I remember correctly. Some rebates don't allow for copies.

Why would anyone give you their receipt? Then they couldn't get the 5 free movies.

Go back to the store and do a receipt look up.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']Well, I just returned back from the store where it was purchased. I proceeded to customer service with the orginal box w/ UPC still attached, as that's all I had to go by. I explained what had happened, and told the CSR that I was told they could track the sale through the serial number. She looked at me like I was crazy, and told me they only do that with the actual game consoles, NOT any of the accessories that go along with the system. They consider the HD-DVD drive an accessory, so there wasn't anything she could/would do.

Wanna guess what she did tell me to do? Buy another one, make a copy of the receipt, and return it back to the store.[/quote]

thats funny because i know for a fact that a store can scan the serial number of the HDD and tell you if it came from that store or not.....you need the HD DVD drive itself because it has the serial number/barcode on it

2n1xkw2.jpg

[quote name='SlammedNiss']Well, I just returned back from the store where it was purchased. I proceeded to customer service with the orginal box w/ UPC still attached, as that's all I had to go by. I explained what had happened, and told the CSR that I was told they could track the sale through the serial number. She looked at me like I was crazy, and told me they only do that with the actual game consoles, NOT any of the accessories that go along with the system. They consider the HD-DVD drive an accessory, so there wasn't anything she could/would do.

Wanna guess what she did tell me to do? Buy another one, make a copy of the receipt, and return it back to the store.[/QUOTE]

I'd just do that then. Don't let these guys get to you just cause they think they're better than you cause they've been here longer. It's obvious to tell from your very first post that you're being completely honest.

I've also never seen a store open the crack on the HD-DVD box and scan the serial number for it. They usually only go through the hassle of that for consoles. Keep up the ridiculing though if you think it makes you look cool though.

[quote name='Neo']I've also never seen a store open the crack on the HD-DVD box and scan the serial number for it. They usually only go through the hassle of that for consoles. Keep up the ridiculing though if you think it makes you look cool though.[/quote]

all that stuff is scanned when they recieve it on the truck.....i challenge you to go to kmart and buy something like the HDD and then take it to Walmart and watch them scan the serial number and then look you in the face and tell you it didnt even come from a walmart (i know cause i did it a while back)

[quote name='sandman007']That's a lot of cash to be carrying around. I don't ever carry more thant $20 in cash on me at any given time.[/QUOTE]

What are you like 12?

[quote name='rodeojones903']Just a heads up that you might have to include the original receipt with the mail in rebate if I remember correctly. Some rebates don't allow for copies.[/quote]
They accept copies. It states right on the rebate form "Original or COPY of cash register receipt for the product."

[quote name='Haggar']Why would anyone give you their receipt? Then they couldn't get the 5 free movies.

Go back to the store and do a receipt look up.[/quote]
I've already tried, had you read the previous posts. They can't do a receipt lookup without a CC or name. Since it was paid with cash, and they can't do a lookup based on the serial number itself, there was nothing they could do. As stated above, you don't need the actual receipt for this. Just a copy. So, if somebody had been willing to scan one for me, they would still been able to get their own 5 free HD's.

[quote name='Malik112099']thats funny because i know for a fact that a store can scan the serial number of the HDD and tell you if it came from that store or not.....you need the HD DVD drive itself because it has the serial number/barcode on it[/quote]
Yeah, they can scan the serial number to find out if it originally came from that store, but they DON'T scan the serial number when they sell it to the consumer. You're not telling me anything I didn't already know. And no, you don't need the drive itself, as the serial # is located on the UPC code that's located on the outside of the box. See, I can draw pretty pictures too.

cag.jpg

[quote name='Haggar']Tell me that wasn't the Sesame Street "loser" sound effect?

LOL.[/quote]

I think it was the Pitfall death sound.

well if CS says to buy one, copy the receipt and return it why dont you do that?

also....i make all big purchases (anything over $50) on by bank/credit card so that it IS trackable..

LESSON LEARNED!!!!!!

[quote name='Malik112099']well if CS says to buy one, copy the receipt and return it why dont you do that?

also....i make all big purchases (anything over $50) on by bank/credit card so that it IS trackable..

LESSON LEARNED!!!!!!
[/quote]
That's what I plan to do later this week. My wife and I quit using credit cards for everyday purchases right after we were married 2 years ago. We use them for some things, but for most things we use cash. That's one of the reasons she used it to buy the HD drive. The other is that I manage our finances and I would have known if she purchased something for $180 had it shown up on the CC receipt. I keep track of the statements extremely close.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']That's what I plan to do later this week. My wife and I quit using credit cards for everyday purchases right after we were married 2 years ago. We use them for some things, but for most things we use cash. That's one of the reasons she used it to buy the HD drive. The other is that I manage our finances and I would have known if she purchased something for $180 had it shown up on the CC receipt. I keep track of the statements extremely close.[/quote]

hope she didnt spend $180 on it..thats the OOOOLD price.....OOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRR you bought it before the price change and the free hd dvd offer and are fishing for a receipt for free movies!!!!!!

If you buy another HD-DVD drive from Best Buy, they will automatically print out a second Rebate receipt with your original receipt. That said, you can buy the drive, use the rebate receipt, and return your new HD-DVD drive and all will be said and done.

Rig's statement was just due to 99% of the time you see a thread like this, it is a scam/sob story and no one cares. Once you establish yourself on CAG, people will be more willing to help you and point you in the right direction.

This is funny, if you pay cash for a small ticket item the chances of them being able to track it without a court order is pretty slim. Unless you used some kind of rewards card.

Just buy another and copy the sales slip.

[quote name='Rig']Go to customer service and tell them the purchase date and such information. Their computers will have the transaction. And they can print you a copy of the receipt.

Or, come up with another reason for me why this won't work. After all the times I have seen this on these boards (and others), I just don't believe the sob stories anymore.[/quote]

Personally, I think the CSR was either clueless or lazy. If they have the item's SKU and the date, they should be able to find a receipt. But if all you need is a copy, then the buy-copy-return thing should work.

Anyway, good luck with getting the deal.

[quote name='Malik112099']hope she didnt spend $180 on it..thats the OOOOLD price.....OOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRR you bought it before the price change and the free hd dvd offer and are fishing for a receipt for free movies!!!!!![/quote]
According to WM and BB, the current price is $180. Give it up, I'm not "fishing" for a receipt.

[quote name='djbooba']If you buy another HD-DVD drive from Best Buy, they will automatically print out a second Rebate receipt with your original receipt. That said, you can buy the drive, use the rebate receipt, and return your new HD-DVD drive and all will be said and done.[/quote]
It wasn't purchased at BB. In fact, the nearest BB is about an hour from me.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']According to WM and BB, the current price is $180. Give it up, I'm not "fishing" for a receipt. [/quote]

calm down..just joshin ya......sheeeesh!

fishin

If the OP used his reward zone card...wouldn't the receipt be in the database no matter what? Rewardzone purchases are stored online and you can look them up. With thay being said, BB should have the receipt saved/stored to be looked up.

I was just too lazy to send out the free HD DVD's rebate thing, now I'm past my 30 day window. Can anyone confirm that re-buying, sending in the rebate and returning will work? they don't look up the recipts for returns?

[quote name='sandman007']That's a lot of cash to be carrying around. I don't ever carry more thant $20 in cash on me at any given time.[/quote]

Really, why is that? I normally just use Debit but I dont even give it a thought when im walking around with $100 + or even a couple hundred and im from Detroit. lol. No its really not as bad as everyone makes it seem, but I cant stand MI, not much to do here plus is cold. :cold:

As for Topic Creator if I had one I would copy it for you np but its an add on I myself have yet to buy cause I ended up purchasing a PS3 and have blu ray. I dont know maybe someone will be nice enough to help you out here.

[quote name='kevzik']If the OP used his reward zone card...wouldn't the receipt be in the database no matter what? Rewardzone purchases are stored online and you can look them up. With thay being said, BB should have the receipt saved/stored to be looked up.[/quote]

It was NOT purchased at BB. I've already stated that.

[quote name='von551']get your money back and go BluRay! HD-DVD is DEAD! Didn't you hear? :D[/quote]

its not dead....and when/if it does then that just means there will be a LOT of cheap HD DVDs to buy....just like when the dreamcast officially died...i was buying up cheap ass games like there was no tomorrow

[quote name='Malik112099']its not dead....and when/if it does then that just means there will be a LOT of cheap HD DVDs to buy....just like when the dreamcast officially died...i was buying up cheap ass games like there was no tomorrow[/quote]

Amen to that. Between Xmas and the B1G1 at Amazon, I've already acquired 18 movies in less than 1 month. Those, of course, were paid with a credit card. :)

[quote name='Malik112099']its not dead....and when/if it does then that just means there will be a LOT of cheap HD DVDs to buy....just like when the dreamcast officially died...i was buying up cheap ass games like there was no tomorrow[/QUOTE]
I bought the player when it first came out so I don't remember this but isn't the serial number on the receipt? Meaning that the original won't match the one on the new receipt. I'm probably wrong.

I was mad when I first heard about the new 5 free deal I was mad but good news for me is my dad just got a player for xmas and he looked at the list and didn't want any of them and didn't even know about the deal so I get them all.

I am with Malik, bring on the $10 or less HD movies.

[quote name='M1C13']I bought the player when it first came out so I don't remember this but isn't the serial number on the receipt? Meaning that the original won't match the one on the new receipt. I'm probably wrong. [/quote]
Actually, they don't list them for the HD-DVD drive. A quick search on google actually just proved what I have been saying. Compare the SKU (088222437966) and you'll see that it matches the SKU on the HD-DVD box.

dghh_1.jpg

bread's done
Back