360's disc drive stopped working, MS says outside of warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThermalKilljoy

CAG Veteran
Well, my Xbox 360 finally had a failure, but unfortunately it's not the red ring of death. My xbox has been having trouble ejecting, sometimes taking up to 20 eject pushes to pop out the disc. While doing this it ended up scratching my COD 4 disc (gouges in the disc) Now, no matter what disc I put in my xbox says that unreadable disc inserted. I called microsoft support but the 3 year warranty is only on RROD failures not on disc drive issues. Any ideas? I'm really bummed.

My first 360 was returned within 2 weeks because the DVD drive stopped working. As for your situation, not much you can do. In all reality, a DVD drive costs

Know of a way to induce RROD? The rep told me that they'd fix everything if it had a RROD at the time I called in. Mine sometimes RROD's but only when a power fluctuation, after that it comes back on and clears.

I tried the towel trick but only got 2 rings of death, and it started back up. I feel like I'm playing the slots

Red Ring, Red Ring ----- No match

[quote name='JJSP']Towels and a blowdryer are your friend. Overheat that SOB.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the towel, but whats the blow dryer for?

edit: Two lights means its overheating. let it keep going.

well thats probably not a good since, they keep track of their calls so they can see that you just called about having a drive failure on the same system that now has the RRoD. You are just beating a dead horse.

[quote name='M1C13']well thats probably not a good since, they keep track of their calls so they can see that you just called about having a drive failure on the same system that now has the RRoD. You are just beating a dead horse.[/QUOTE]

Eh, given the likelihood of getting an RROD, it's not like they can tell you they're onto your schtick.

[quote name='JJSP']Towels and a blowdryer are your friend. Overheat that SOB.[/QUOTE]

I demand to see a homemade movie involving this trick, but put in the context of all-time greatest murder scenes in American film.

[quote name='mykevermin']
I demand to see a homemade movie involving this trick, but put in the context of all-time greatest murder scenes in American film.[/quote]

Didn't Cheapy make a video of that? Someone make me look smart and post that video...

...then just add the baby video after that. It'll work..

[quote name='DustHimself']Didn't Cheapy make a video of that? Someone make me look smart and post that video...

...then just add the baby video after that. It'll work..[/quote]

Youtube sucks... The video was removed. Terms of use violation... Was it because CNBC aired it?.

Here is Cheapy's blog posting.

Gametrailers.com rules...

[quote name='DustHimself']Didn't Cheapy make a video of that? Someone make me look smart and post that video...

...then just add the baby video after that. It'll work..[/QUOTE]

I don't recall a video of him intentionally assassinating his 360. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, of course.

This is why I dropped the extra $60 for the extended warranty when I got mine a year ago... I'm good bumper-to-bumper up to January 2010, I believe. Will probably be on Xbox 6 or 7 by then at the rate I'm going.

You could also buy a replacement drive here. Since they are actual replacement drives it might be as easy as swapping them out. I've no experience with it though.
Never mind, now I read those came from dev kits and don't work in retail 360s.

This exact thing happened to my brother. He called them up and told them it was a RRoD. They sent a box and it came back fixed. If a broken 360 comes in the door, they aren't going to ship it out broken. It's the person you call on the phone who charges you the $, so just tell a tiny little lie (or kill it, like others have suggested) and they will fix it for free.

EDIT - He got back his original console, as well.

I was worried that it would go to the return place and not have the RROD and then I'd be screwed.

3 times in the last two days I've gotten it to give me 2 lights, but can't get the 3rd to light.

[quote name='ThermalKilljoy']I was worried that it would go to the return place and not have the RROD and then I'd be screwed.

3 times in the last two days I've gotten it to give me 2 lights, but can't get the 3rd to light.[/QUOTE]

The beacons are lit! RROD calls for aid!

when I was getting my E74 I did the "towel trick" all it does is over heat the 360 till it turns itself off.....once you turn it on its fine...this works for a while until the trick doesnt work anymore...the towel trick DOES NOT RRoD your 360..you get one? flashing light signaling that it over heated but once it cools down it cuts on just fine

your 360 could be pissing in your eye, but when you call customer service, tell them it has RRoD..no matter what they have you try or do, tell them it still has RRoD

I'm also encountering disc drive issues with my 360. The disc drive usually doesn't open on its first attempt, forcing you to try it again. However, if you even barely touch the tray at all while it tries to open the first time it'll pop open. I removed the faceplate thinking that it could be getting stuck but it didn't change anything. It's not caught up on anything.

More recently (within the last few days) it's developed the bad habit of kicking me out of games. I'll be playing something and then all of a sudden the game stops and the dashboard comes back and the drive status says "open." However, the drive motor is not running at all; nothing is happening. If you hit the eject button or click on the loading tray indicator then all of a sudden the tray motor starts up and the tray tries to open. From there you try to start the game up as usual. Sometimes I have to go through this routine five times for it to play the game without an issue.

I'll be calling Xbox support tomorrow. The console is out of warranty (says so on their site) and has already gotten the RRoD once. I figure I'll be paying for repairs. For disc drive issues I've read online the costs can range anywhere from $80-140. If it's in the $140 range I'll be strongly considering buying a new one with a retailer warranty (I hear Best Buy is awesome for that) since dropping $140 into a console now onto its second major hardware issue doesn't sound too appealing. The thought of a new console isn't too appealing, but I have no faith in my current console at all. I highly doubt it's the last time I'll have issues with it even once this drive issue is taken care of.

I love my 360 but damn, Microsoft built these things as cheap as possible. Thankfully I have a PS3 to fill in the down time if I have the 360 repaired.

I talked to Xbox support. They won't cover it since the console isn't under warranty with them anymore (interestingly enough, my console's manufactured day is two years ago today). They said it's a $99 repair or less and they'll put a full-year no questions asked warranty status on the entire console in addition to a free month of Xbox live (yippie! /sarcasm).

It's better than having to buy a new 360, especially if they will put a one year warranty on the piece of shit.

I'm curious who authorized them to have Vanilla Ice as their hold music as well.

My friend also had a disc drive problem. He kept trying to use it, and it eventually turned into the RRoD. Keep trying

Bet you want to change your answer on CheapyD's poll about 360 failures right?

My problem is sort of related to this- my 360 died about a month ago and I just got my "repaired" console back. It does output video now which is an improvement (the reason I sent it off) but now my eject button doesn't work but once about every 10 times.
For now I've been using my remote to eject the discs and that seems to work, (OP should try that as an alternative to paying 99 bucks for a fix) but should I ship it back to get it repaired again?

[quote name='camoor']Every thread like this pushes me farther away from a 360 at this point in time.[/QUOTE]

I just bought one and when my disc comes out after even a short session, it's really, really warm. That can't be good for anything.

[quote name='redroversk']I just bought one and when my disc comes out after even a short session, it's really, really warm. That can't be good for anything.[/QUOTE]

I've never had that issue with any disc in my 360 no matter how long I was playing the game. You probably want to keep an eye on that.

I am getting kinda freaked because my 360 seems like it loves giving minor scrathes to disc. So i have no clue what the future will hold.

[quote name='Scobie']This is why I dropped the extra $60 for the extended warranty when I got mine a year ago... I'm good bumper-to-bumper up to January 2010, I believe. Will probably be on Xbox 6 or 7 by then at the rate I'm going.[/quote]

As did I... :high five:

Even if you're covered for a few years for RROD, it doesn't help when the drive or something else fucks up on it.

[quote name='captainfrizo']I'm curious who authorized them to have Vanilla Ice as their hold music as well.[/QUOTE]

Vanilla Ice played at our Spring Break back when I was in college. He played 2 rap songs, then everyone wanted him to do "Ice Ice Baby" after that everyone started throwing stuff at him and there was a riot.

Good times.

Ship it back ASAP. It'll only get worse ...

[quote name='uncbaseballfreak']My problem is sort of related to this- my 360 died about a month ago and I just got my "repaired" console back. It does output video now which is an improvement (the reason I sent it off) but now my eject button doesn't work but once about every 10 times.
For now I've been using my remote to eject the discs and that seems to work, (OP should try that as an alternative to paying 99 bucks for a fix) but should I ship it back to get it repaired again?[/quote]

[quote name='ThermalKilljoy']Well, my Xbox 360 finally had a failure, but unfortunately it's not the red ring of death. My xbox has been having trouble ejecting, sometimes taking up to 20 eject pushes to pop out the disc. While doing this it ended up scratching my COD 4 disc (gouges in the disc) Now, no matter what disc I put in my xbox says that unreadable disc inserted. I called microsoft support but the 3 year warranty is only on RROD failures not on disc drive issues. Any ideas? I'm really bummed.[/quote]

...uh-oh, my 360 isn't ejecting after the first try either...

i got a grinding noise / unreadable disc problem when i try playing gta4 right after i bought it. just my luck, and since my warranty was out i tried overheating my xbox with the towel trick. it only gave me 2 lights and went into a suspended mode. i decided to just open the damn thing because i suspected it was this hitachi drive problem with a magnetic washer detaching itself to the roof the drive casing. it turned out to be the case so i just need to glue it down and it should start reading disc again correctly without any grinding noise.

check out this youtube video, the problem was pretty much what i had.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgU1lC8k8k

[quote name='darken']My friend also had a disc drive problem. He kept trying to use it, and it eventually turned into the RRoD. Keep trying

Bet you want to change your answer on CheapyD's poll about 360 failures right?[/quote]

I got this too... terrible grinding noise... occasionally disc error. Fortunately I'm in the first year of warranty so I didn't have to wait for it to red-ring. I sent it to MS and it should be back Tuesday. The repair was surprisingly very quick. I'll let you know later how it is.

I don't understand comments like the one above where people say this is keeping them from a 360. I agree it sucks that this happens, but I LOVE my 360 and can't wait to get it back. This is only a minor inconvenience. It's all about the games, folks.

For the record, my Wii is still the frontrunner on repairs -- I had to send it in twice due to problems with the graphics card barfing up pixel static during games. I even had to send my DS Lite in for repair after it stopped calibrating correctly. Both Nintendo and MS have been very good about these repairs, and I am still happily gaming.... looking forward to getting into some GTA when my Xbox gets back!!

[quote name='catapult37']

I don't understand comments like the one above where people say this is keeping them from a 360. I agree it sucks that this happens, but I LOVE my 360 and can't wait to get it back. This is only a minor inconvenience. It's all about the games, folks.

[/quote]

If you don't have a console because it's in the shop (sometimes multiple times), chances are "the games" aren't going to matter much, because you simply can't play them. The problem here is the systemic nature of the failures. MS cut corners to get the console out first, and we're all paying for it. Repairs aren't necessarily a dealbreaker, but when it's a big-time failure like the RRoD problem... it tends to overshadow the games.... and first time MS console users might be wary of the next wave... because of the problems they hear everyone (at least to them it's everyone) is having.

That being said... my console has not had any issues (yet)... :) So, luckily, I am able to enjoy the great games on the 360. But I do empathize with people who simply don't want to take the risk on a $400 console...

Yeah, it sucks to have great games and no reliable system to play them on. I'm trying to get through Bioshock as it stutters and pauses for no apparent reason. The RRoD got my first Xbox and they sent me a refurb that's older than the one I bought......so sending it to the shop might not be the best solution either.

[quote name='Capn Stabby']I have the issue where it clicks and gets the disc read error. I've had the E74 errors too.

No RROD :([/QUOTE]

That's what I have too. I've had an RROD three times total, but nothing permanent. They don't need to know that though. It's bullshit that they won't cover shoddy manufacturing, so I have no guilt with not being specific about the RROD.

Edit: I just called, and I'm pretty sure Madame Cleo took my call. Sounded dead on.

just got the unplayable disc error, the drive had been making horrible noises for a couple of months when playing COD4, now M$ wants $100 to fix it (also scratched two discs!). Since this machine is plagued with problems, I am kicking around the idea of selling off all the 360 games and accessories and buying a PS3. What do you guys think? (I am so pissed with the obvious crapatutide of this machine and that problems will continue since M$ will not fix the problems with this machine, the only thing keeping me from jumping ship is the loss of my friends on xbox live...)

Are replacement 360s under any type of warranty (besides RRoD)? For example, if my original 360 craped out, I got a replacement, and then the new 360 had a drive error, is there a time frame that there would be a manufacturers warranty for the second console?

[quote name='moojuice']Are replacement 360s under any type of warranty (besides RRoD)? For example, if my original 360 craped out, I got a replacement, and then the new 360 had a drive error, is there a time frame that there would be a manufacturers warranty for the second console?[/QUOTE]

I know replacements get a 90 day warranty, and I'm assuming that is a comprehensive warranty, not just an RROD replacement warranty.

My 360 gives me hell, Everytime I put in a game it tells me that its a 360 game and I should go put it in a 360 if I want to play. Im like WTF !! It plays DVDs and regular xbox games fine though. Has anyone heard of this ?

[quote name='sleazyMoney']My 360 gives me hell, Everytime I put in a game it tells me that its a 360 game and I should go put it in a 360 if I want to play. Im like WTF !! It plays DVDs and regular xbox games fine though. Has anyone heard of this ?[/QUOTE]

Yeah mine did that the first week I got it so I immediately returned it to the store I bought it from fearing I'd run into more serious problems later on down the road. Very strange problem though!

[quote name='sleazyMoney']My 360 gives me hell, Everytime I put in a game it tells me that its a 360 game and I should go put it in a 360 if I want to play. Im like WTF !! It plays DVDs and regular xbox games fine though. Has anyone heard of this ?[/QUOTE]

Mine used to do that every once in a while after I watched a movie. It was essentially stuck in DVD player mode. What worked for me was unplugging the system for about 10-15 minutes. That seemed to clear something, because when I plugged it back in it worked fine.

I suppose you could like pour water through the vents while its on lol it will fry it then send it in as a hardware meltdown

[quote name='tomcichon']I suppose you could like pour water through the vents while its on lol it will fry it then send it in as a hardware meltdown[/QUOTE]

um no, it is already out of warranty and it is very easy for them to tell it is water damager

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back