37" Olevia or 32" Vizio/Aquos?

I have the olevia 32" LCD bought it 2 years ago and its been great to me. the really only downside to it was only 1 component input and 1 HDMI but other than that its been great I use it for my 360 and my PC can be a little dark at times as far as contrast but hey for the price ya cant beat it

and did ya see the 42" Sony plasma at Buy.com? its 799.99 a great deal with a 2 year warr

We have a 32" Sharp Aquos and love it. When we bought it at Best buy over a year ago, it had by far the best picture of the TVs they had on display. A word of advice...the TV will always look bigger in your house when you get it there. At first we went for size and got this ~52" one and got it home and it was ungodly huge....couldn't even watch it very easily...so we returned it for the Aquos and have never regretted it. I recommend the Aquos to anyone.

[quote name='thefuzz311']
and did ya see the 42" Sony plasma at Buy.com? its 799.99 a great deal with a 2 year warr[/QUOTE]

I posted that deal...and then found out that its NOT and HDTV, but a monitor (and a low res one at that) doesn't have HDMi either... so it isn't THAT great of a deal at all.

I have a vizio 37" that I got from macmall.com for around 500 after rebates, its GREAT!

I have a 61 dlp samsung, 19 lcd samsung and a 32 vizio and the vizio blows the other 2 away. I had a olevia and it was nothing but problems and poor picture quality so i returned it and got the vizio and couldnt be happier.

See... here is where the problem lies... One person says it sucks, the next says they love it. This is the situation with all the forums I have read on LCDs.

Do you think it's lack of QA? Is it hit or miss on the tv that you get (some are produced poorly by the factories)? Or is it just some people have a lot higher standards than others?

First and foremost, don't buy Westinghouse.

My 'rents have a 48" Aquos. It's amazing. I'm getting one myself here in a week or two.

[quote name='jello00']See... here is where the problem lies... One person says it sucks, the next says they love it. This is the situation with all the forums I have read on LCDs.

Do you think it's lack of QA? Is it hit or miss on the tv that you get (some are produced poorly by the factories)? Or is it just some people have a lot higher standards than others?[/quote]

This is exactly the problem with these kinds of threads/questions; not a personal thing, mind you, just the nature of the question.

In terms of TVs, you can generally bank on "better" brands, ie Samsung, retailing for thousands more because generally they do perform better. But then, how does one exactly define "better"?

For an aficionado, the slightest poor black levels is inexcusable; for people who are just looking to upgrade (ie my parents), they don't even care that they don't purchase HD programming and that SD looks like crap. It's flat and it's big. Then there's quality control; of course it's not going to be perfect, in reality whether it be apples, CPUs, or TVs. Some brands are purported to "last longer", but whose really to say with absolute certainty why one TV lasts longer than the next? Environment, usage, how well you take care of it, doesn't that all come into play?

I've met people who expressly refuse to buy off brand, say Westinghouse, Olevia, etc. simply on principle. In my opinion, that's the epitome of ignorance, refusing to perhaps save thousands based on the arrangements of a few letters of the English language. In reality, the only thing you can really do is head into a B & M, check things out for yourself, make the call, and hopefully never look back.

As a postscript, my parents picked up a 37" Olevia from Target for the bedroom and I have a 46" Westy. No problems with either, so whose to say spending 4 grand really proves anything?

EDIT: I notice Scorch posted before I finished. Why no Westinghouse? The TX models have had issues, probably because the panels are lower quality, but the LVM and LTV "older" models are often rebranded Samsungs and have great reviews. If you're going to make a statement like that, it might be prudent to prove why...

[quote name='jello00']See... here is where the problem lies... One person says it sucks, the next says they love it. This is the situation with all the forums I have read on LCDs.

Do you think it's lack of QA? Is it hit or miss on the tv that you get (some are produced poorly by the factories)? Or is it just some people have a lot higher standards than others?[/QUOTE]

It's more or less preference... some people just can't tell the difference. My brother has a 32" Vizio and I have a 32" Aquos (both with very similar specs).

To him, the Vizio looked perfectly fine... to me, the image looks washed out (especially the blacks) even though I calibrated both TVs using a DVD calibration software. I had him look at my Aquos and he said they both looked the same. Then I pointed out the flaws and after a while, he saw it.

But in general, budget brands usually use "previous" panels whereas the name brands use the latest panels. So they all look good (minus a few cases of bad panels of course).

I would tell you to go look at models in the store but these days, I wouldn't trust that as I hear about stores adjusting the more expensive models better than budget models.

Do you think it's lack of QA? Is it hit or miss on the tv that you get (some are produced poorly by the factories)? Or is it just some people have a lot higher standards than others?[/QUOTE]

I agree with your problem so ill try to tell ya more about my 32" Olevia,
Pros-
Lots of different connections i.e. - Composite, S-video, Component, VGA , S-VGA, USB ( for updating firmware) and has a built in HDTV tuner.

Reliable - I have owned mine for well over 2 years and still works like the day I bought it. I know this might be common but I did not mention over the course of a year I would take the LCD with me to WOW and Halo LAN parties so I moved it quite a bit and still works great.

Good picture but only displays 1080i not 1080p but for 500 bucks ya cant beat it not sure how much the 37" is but prob like 700

Cons-
Takes about 10 seconds to turn on (not sure if con just me being anal and impatient lol)

Remote control has a lag and the physical remote is kind of cheap looking (but still works)

Not very bright on some movies and games therefor i have to turn the brightness up
this does not happen often but about 2-3 times a month. Its not random just some movies and games are darker. (I tested my theory and its not the TV from what i can tell)

Speakers are not that great just regular built in stereo

Hope this will help ya some more man. If ya have any questions ask or PM me and ill be happy to help

Thanks everybody for your thoughts. I'm going to check out the stores but I think I'm probably going to go for the Olevia 537H 37" LCD ($680 + free shipping at amazon). I'm not an LCD aficionado, just looking to upgrade from my 20" Dell LCD that I'm using right now for movies and games -- so I think this is right for me.

I've also read a ton of good things about the 537H at pcworld, cnet, consumersearch, amazon and newegg. Considering that this TV was around $1500 when it first came out, this is a huge deal. I'm not ashamed to buy last year's technology for cheap -- especially when I am on a budget.

Anyways... thanks again. if anyone has anything to add for people who read this forum in the future, go for it.

Note:Vinny, please don't ever come over to my house and point out the picture quality flaws on my new TV like you did with your brother... I might have to slap you. :boxing:
:rofl:

I have a 32" Aquos and I highly recommend it. Absolutely beautiful. Be sure to calibrate it as well, (I used the THX thing on the Terminator 2 disc), it really makes a big difference.

[quote name='Serialkilla']I have a 32" Aquos and I highly recommend it. Absolutely beautiful. Be sure to calibrate it as well, (I used the THX thing on the Terminator 2 disc), it really makes a big difference.[/quote]

I really wanna bite on the Costco deal, I just don't want to worry about the next great thing coming out 90 days later, making this deal look obsolete.

Yea I have an Olevia 32" HDLCD as well it works amazing I think it looks ugly tho the Aquos is really expensive but it looks amazing!

[quote name='jello00']Thanks everybody for your thoughts. I'm going to check out the stores but I think I'm probably going to go for the Olevia 537H 37" LCD ($680 + free shipping at amazon). I'm not an LCD aficionado, just looking to upgrade from my 20" Dell LCD that I'm using right now for movies and games -- so I think this is right for me.

I've also read a ton of good things about the 537H at pcworld, cnet, consumersearch, amazon and newegg. Considering that this TV was around $1500 when it first came out, this is a huge deal. I'm not ashamed to buy last year's technology for cheap -- especially when I am on a budget.

Anyways... thanks again. if anyone has anything to add for people who read this forum in the future, go for it.

Note:Vinny, please don't ever come over to my house and point out the picture quality flaws on my new TV like you did with your brother... I might have to slap you. :boxing:
:rofl:[/quote]I own the 537H, bought at BF 2006 from J&R.com for $699.99 + shipping.

Great TV, and I've tossed SD & HD content on it without any issues. SD looks good for a LCD TV and HD from a 360 or PS3 has looked fantastic. I'm glad I spent the money I did on it, and it's a wonderful set.

If you can find the 237T locally, you might want to look at that as another option. The 237T has the same specs as the 537H, except with an additional HDMI port. Having the single HDMI port on the 537H has been a little of an irritation, though nothing huge.

Ok. This is what I've found. (all 37" LCDs)

Olevia 537H ~$680
Vizio VX37L ~$800
Toshiba 37HL67 ~900

Out of those, what would you do?

I would do Olevia cuz I have one and it works great people won't really choose it if they've never heard of it but it does work amazing and you save a bunch of money!

[quote name='jello00']Ok. This is what I've found. (all 37" LCDs)

Olevia 537H ~$680
Vizio VX37L ~$800
Toshiba 37HL67 ~900

Out of those, what would you do?[/quote]

Honestly I'd say reverse the order of thoes tvs and that would be my answer. But for what its worth I owned an olevia 232v and loved it until it started to vrap out on me in the first year and then was stolen. But I work at CC and we have all but that model olevia out on the floor and the toshiba would be the best picture I've seen.

bill123

My mom works at Costco, anbd everyone is ALWAYS happy with Vizio.
I think it's because the bang for your buck.

Personally, I like to play it safe, go for the heavy hitters.

If I have to sacrifice 12 inches for the same price, I think it's worth it.

People are happy with those tv's, but the pictures really do leave a lot to be desired.

I'm interested in this:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11274215&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US

Does anyone have experience with it?

sorry if this is considered thread hijacking

hijack away.

I realized that the HDTV threads on CAG don't have a whole lot of information, so if this one has many different viewpoints I think it will help everyone looking to buy a LCD tv.

I ALWAYS research the hell out of anything I buy, and I got the Vizio 37" because of the OVERALL value.

now there are most certenly better TV's in the market, but for the price and the quality I don't think they can be beat. I have a 37" and 2 of my friends have 42" vizio's and neither of us has had a single problem. I've heard of a few problems with the olivia's and protrons (as well as other budget brands).

just my personal opinion, but use google and find out for yourself! or check out the AVS forum, those guys really know their stuff.

[quote name='thefuzz311']I agree with your problem so ill try to tell ya more about my 32" Olevia,
Pros-
Lots of different connections i.e. - Composite, S-video, Component, VGA , S-VGA, USB ( for updating firmware) and has a built in HDTV tuner.

Reliable - I have owned mine for well over 2 years and still works like the day I bought it. I know this might be common but I did not mention over the course of a year I would take the LCD with me to WOW and Halo LAN parties so I moved it quite a bit and still works great.

Good picture but only displays 1080i not 1080p but for 500 bucks ya cant beat it not sure how much the 37" is but prob like 700

Cons-
Takes about 10 seconds to turn on (not sure if con just me being anal and impatient lol)

Remote control has a lag and the physical remote is kind of cheap looking (but still works)

Not very bright on some movies and games therefor i have to turn the brightness up
this does not happen often but about 2-3 times a month. Its not random just some movies and games are darker. (I tested my theory and its not the TV from what i can tell)

Speakers are not that great just regular built in stereo

Hope this will help ya some more man. If ya have any questions ask or PM me and ill be happy to help[/QUOTE]

I remember I was in a hotel where there was an Olevia TV, its remote had some lag as well, that was annoying. Thats the only thing that keeps me from recommending the Olevia at this time.

My brother and I each picked up a 37" Olevia on Black Friday and have found them to be excellent. I don't use the remote much other then to turn it on so I haven't noticed any lag there.

[quote name='Thomas96']I remember I was in a hotel where there was an Olevia TV, its remote had some lag as well, that was annoying. Thats the only thing that keeps me from recommending the Olevia at this time.[/QUOTE]

Yep, remote lag is annoying. However, I love my 237T overall. And the newer ones have 2 HDMI ports, which is a major plus (and something I wish mine had).

MjC

vizio... you get what you pay for.

Costco has a 36" Aquos! for $650 this week. thats a bang-up deal.

i paid nearly $3000 for a 46" Aquos a year and a half ago, and i have never regretted it. you can get a bigger Aquos now for much less than that, but it was still a great year (and still going strong) with that tv. it seemed to be the best tv, for the price, for gaming.

good luck... i'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you get.

My parents have a 50" vizio they bought in 2006 during black friday. The picture quality is nice, and I can only assume that their newer tvs have the same quality. The most impressive part about the vizio, though, are the really nice built in speakers. So I would go with the vizio because of that.

bread's done
Back