3D portable gaming and the Gameboy SP the Best ever handheld

jkam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
260 (100%)
Kind of a weird topic but is anyone else wondering how 3D gaming will fair on a portable? I mean there are times when 3D games hurt my eyes after playing them for awhile. Does anyone think the small portable screens will hinder 3D gaming? I have yet to see the DS in action like some others have...can you guys offer some insight?

As for the Gameboy Advance SP comment...I think it is the best handheld to date for a few reasons:

1. It truly is portable. It's small and offers screen protection when in your pocket. The game gear and others are TOO big.
2. The light. While backlight is better this does the trick.
3. The game library is absoutely massive with the backward compatibility.
4. The battery is rechargeable.

Although I am excited about the new handhelds I think the SP will always be one of my favorites.

The SP is backlit. You're comment makes it sound as though it isn't.

As for the 3D capabilties of the DS, the only thing I've seen live is the MP demo, which is pretty impressive if you ask me. I think the game itself is more of a tech demo than anything. I don't see myself purchasing it. I can't wait to see how they implement the technology into other games, esp. with the PSP. I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

The SP is frontlit, I'm too lazy to find proof but I know that it is. IGN was even recently talking about how much better backlit is on the DS and how much better GBA games look on it because it isn't as washed out as the frontlit SP.

I thought the GBA SP was front lit? Anyways I agree with you on all your points on the SP. While I'll be getting a DS, I'm still going to keep my SP.

[quote name='Ledhed']The SP is backlit. You're comment makes it sound as though it isn't.[/quote]

The SP is frontlit, not backlit. Your comment makes it sound as though it isn't.

Yeah, I doubt anything could replace my SP. I'm definitely keeping it. I'm not totally sold on the DS anyway - if it's not really portable I'm not interested. I play video games for 2 hours a day - all on the train ride to and from work and maybe while I'm taking a shit. I don't think the DS will be good on the go...

[quote name='alongx'][quote name='Ledhed']The SP is backlit. You're comment makes it sound as though it isn't.[/quote]

The SP is frontlit, not backlit. Your comment makes it sound as though it isn't.[/quote]

Sonofabitch, you're right. :notworth:

I'll tell you one reason 3D gaming won't be as good on the DS....analog control.

Once again, Nintendo makes a portable without seeing the big picture. Nintendo has a habit of leaving out certain things on their portable hardware. For example, the GBA should have had four face buttons and two shoulder buttons just like the DS has. 3D games in general use analog control more than the D-Pad. Even in the recent EGM article they mentioned how lack of analog control could be a hinderance to many 3D games. The lack of analog will give Sony a distinct advantage. However, I think Sony dropped the ball by not including DUAL analog. If one can be included why not two?

I actually thought the SP was side lit.

Yeah, up to now the SP has definitely been the best portable system, but I think the DS will easily be better.

The DS will do everything the SP can do better and introduce a lot of new areas in portable gaming.

I don't think the DS is just some gimmick that Nintendo will abandon in a year. They are really pushing this system, and I think it's going to be really successful.

Hell, look at how many people are already buying it. This system is going to be a really hot item and when other developers see this, I'm sure they will only be more inclined to develop for the system.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I'll tell you one reason 3D gaming won't be as good on the DS....analog control.

Once again, Nintendo makes a portable without seeing the big picture. Nintendo has a habit of leaving out certain things on their portable hardware. For example, the GBA should have had four face buttons and two shoulder buttons just like the DS has. 3D games in general use analog control more than the D-Pad. Even in the recent EGM article they mentioned how lack of analog control could be a hinderance to many 3D games. The lack of analog will give Sony a distinct advantage. However, I think Sony dropped the ball by not including DUAL analog. If one can be included why not two?[/quote]

That is the reason for the touch screen, it can act as an analog control surface if a game requires it.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I'll tell you one reason 3D gaming won't be as good on the DS....analog control.[/quote]

well, the touchscreen is supposed to function as an analog controller of sorts. It is an interesting ides, I hope it works well in practice.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I'll tell you one reason 3D gaming won't be as good on the DS....analog control.

Once again, Nintendo makes a portable without seeing the big picture. Nintendo has a habit of leaving out certain things on their portable hardware. For example, the GBA should have had four face buttons and two shoulder buttons just like the DS has. 3D games in general use analog control more than the D-Pad. Even in the recent EGM article they mentioned how lack of analog control could be a hinderance to many 3D games. The lack of analog will give Sony a distinct advantage. However, I think Sony dropped the ball by not including DUAL analog. If one can be included why not two?[/quote]

The DS can use the touchscreen as an analog control. Most reviews say that the controls are much better using the touchscreen. The PSP controls can't be that great when the Official playstation magazine mention how weird they are.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']I actually thought the SP was side lit.

Yeah, up to now the SP has definitely been the best portable system, but I think the DS will easily be better.

The DS will do everything the SP can do better and introduce a lot of new areas in portable gaming.

I don't think the DS is just some gimmick that Nintendo will abandon in a year. They are really pushing this system, and I think it's going to be really successful.

Hell, look at how many people are already buying it. This system is going to be a really hot item and when other developers see this, I'm sure they will only be more inclined to develop for the system.[/quote]

I think the DS will do really well too. I can't wait to get mine. I was just thinking how the SP is truly the best portable thus far. The DS is about two SP's side by side making it less portable. If you look at all the things you want out of a portable gaming machine:

Size
Light
Battery
Protection

The SP really makes the grade.

The GBA SP uses a light that is suspiciously exactly the same as an Afterburner.

It consists of a light emmiting diode attached to a peice of glass coated in a polarized film. This is called a light guide.

It creates and even coat of light, and almost eliminates reflections (turn off the light and your SP becomes a mirror if you are indoors).

A backlight is either behind the screen or part of the screen. It uses a massive amount of power because it needs to be really bright.

I honestly can't see where the PSP has it's analog control at. Is it an add on or is it actually attached to the system? I hear everyone talking about it, but when I look at pics of it, I just can't see where the damn thing is.

One major point that has been made about analog control on portable is that what happens when they break?

[quote name='Grave_Addiction'][quote name='GuilewasNK']I'll tell you one reason 3D gaming won't be as good on the DS....analog control.

I honestly can't see where the PSP has it's analog control at. Is it an add on or is it actually attached to the system? I hear everyone talking about it, but when I look at pics of it, I just can't see where the damn thing is.

One major point that has been made about analog control on portable is that what happens when they break?[/quote]

Well.....

No Sony product will break they never have.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction'][quote name='GuilewasNK']I'll tell you one reason 3D gaming won't be as good on the DS....analog control.

One major point that has been made about analog control on portable is that what happens when they break?[/quote]

the little round button below the d-pad right next to the screen is the analog, it's more like a sliding disc, from the previews that I've read.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']I honestly can't see where the PSP has it's analog control at. Is it an add on or is it actually attached to the system? I hear everyone talking about it, but when I look at pics of it, I just can't see where the damn thing is.

What a dumbass Nintendo fanboy. It is a simulated analog stick that uses a digital signal. It is flat against the surface of the system but it's texture surface makes it easy to move.

It is actually referred to by Sony as an analog nub.

[quote name='jkam'][quote name='GuilewasNK']I'll tell you one reason 3D gaming won't be as good on the DS....analog control.

The DS can use the touchscreen as an analog control. Most reviews say that the controls are much better using the touchscreen. The PSP controls can't be that great when the Official playstation magazine mention how weird they are.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']I actually thought the SP was side lit.

Hell, look at how many people are already buying it. This system is going to be a really hot item and when other developers see this, I'm sure they will only be more inclined to develop for the system.[/quote]

I think the DS will do really well too. I can't wait to get mine. I was just thinking how the SP is truly the best portable thus far. The DS is about two SP's side by side making it less portable. If you look at all the things you want out of a portable gaming machine:

Size
Light
Battery
Protection

The SP really makes the grade.[/quote]

The DS is a tad more wide than a GBA and about as tall as a GBA SP when unfolded.

Also, if you knew anything at all about touchscreens you would know that they can't be used for analog control.

Touchpads can be used for analog, but a PDA style touchscreen cannot.

You goddamn stupid Americans must make EVERYTHING a good versus evil issue and argue and fight for your side against logic and reason. I don't understand how SO MANY PEOPLE can be SO STUPID!

[quote name='Quackzilla'][quote name='Grave_Addiction']I honestly can't see where the PSP has it's analog control at. Is it an add on or is it actually attached to the system? I hear everyone talking about it, but when I look at pics of it, I just can't see where the damn thing is.

What a dumbass Nintendo fanboy.[/quote]

Where the hell did that come from? All he said was he couldn't see it. Take that ridiculous off-the-handle shit back to the Vs board.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='Quackzilla'][quote name='Grave_Addiction']I honestly can't see where the PSP has it's analog control at. Is it an add on or is it actually attached to the system? I hear everyone talking about it, but when I look at pics of it, I just can't see where the damn thing is.

Where the hell did that come from? All he said was he couldn't see it. Take that ridiculous off-the-handle shit back to the Vs board.[/quote]

It is alway "PSP sucks at this" or "DS sucks at that".

I remember for 3 YEARS fanboys of Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony were claiming that their system was only using 1% of it's power and that the other systems were on their last legs.

GIVE IT UP ALREADY!

[quote name='Quackzilla']It is alway "PSP sucks at this" or "DS sucks at that".

I remember for 3 YEARS fanboys of Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony were claiming that their system was only using 1% of it's power and that the other systems were on their last legs.

GIVE IT UP ALREADY![/quote]

True as that maybe, you called him a fanboy when he simply said "I can't see it." I'm not saying fanboys don't exist, I'm just saying that what he said wasn't fanboy in the least. Save your bull-shitting for PAD.

[quote name='Quackzilla'][quote name='Grave_Addiction']I honestly can't see where the PSP has it's analog control at. Is it an add on or is it actually attached to the system? I hear everyone talking about it, but when I look at pics of it, I just can't see where the damn thing is.

What a dumbass Nintendo fanboy. It is a simulated analog stick that uses a digital signal. It is flat against the surface of the system but it's texture surface makes it easy to move.

It is actually referred to by Sony as an analog nub.[/quote]

What the hell's your problem, you asshat? I said I couldn't fuckin see the analog stick. In what way was I ridiculing Sony? I wasn't, dumbass. I merely said I couldn't see the damn analog stick.

Don't bring that fuckin fanboy shit with me, man.

[quote name='Quackzilla'][quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='Quackzilla'][quote name='Grave_Addiction']I honestly can't see where the PSP has it's analog control at. Is it an add on or is it actually attached to the system? I hear everyone talking about it, but when I look at pics of it, I just can't see where the damn thing is.

Where the hell did that come from? All he said was he couldn't see it. Take that ridiculous off-the-handle shit back to the Vs board.[/quote]

It is alway "PSP sucks at this" or "DS sucks at that".

GIVE IT UP ALREADY![/quote]

I looked back through the thread, and I didn't see that anywhere. If you are responing to something written or said elsewhere by attacking people in this thread, then I think that is pretty stupid (note that I am criticizing your actions, not you as a person).

It was a generalization.

Almost everything said about any given system on the internet or in RL is pure lies.

All of the true information is posted all over every credible gaming news site on the internet.

[quote name='Quackzilla']It was a generalization.

Almost everything said about any given system on the internet or in RL is pure lies.

All of the true information is posted all over every credible gaming news site on the internet.[/quote]

Generalizations are always bad.

[quote name='Quackzilla']It was a generalization.

All of the true information is posted all over every credible gaming news site on the internet.[/quote]

I fail to see how that justifies flaming the shit out of him for asking a question.
Had he pretended to know what he was talking about and been wrong, then you would have had some ground for that. Otherwise, you're just trying to be a holier-than-thou prick.

[quote name='Quackzilla']You goddamn stupid Americans must make EVERYTHING a good versus evil issue and argue and fight for your side against logic and reason. I don't understand how SO MANY PEOPLE can be SO STUPID![/quote]

blah, blah, blah ... piss off.

To somewhat get back on topic, I am disappointed with only one thing that I've read about the DS. That is that there is not a port to allow a hook-up between the Cube and the DS. Now I don't have a GBA right now (it's amazing I've gone so long w/o one), but I expect to get one soon w/ the amazing price that it's at. I have FF:Crystal Chronicles, and I intend to get Zelda: Four Swords. Now I have to keep the GBA around to play them since the DS doesn't look like it will have an accessory to work with it. Oh well, no biggie. Just a slight disappointment.

[quote name='lord_slappy']To somewhat get back on topic, I am disappointed with only one thing that I've read about the DS. That is that there is not a port to allow a hook-up between the Cube and the DS. Now I don't have a GBA right now (it's amazing I've gone so long w/o one), but I expect to get one soon w/ the amazing price that it's at. I have FF:Crystal Chronicles, and I intend to get Zelda: Four Swords. Now I have to keep the GBA around to play them since the DS doesn't look like it will have an accessory to work with it. Oh well, no biggie. Just a slight disappointment.[/quote]

DS will have both games anyway, you can wait for those :)

Well.....

No Sony product will break they never have.[/quote]

Yeah, two ps2s and a broke ass camera later, I'm gonna call this post bullshit.

[quote name='aneventualend'][quote name='Snake2715']Well.....

No Sony product will break they never have.[/quote]

Yeah, two ps2s and a broke ass camera later, I'm gonna call this post bullshit.[/quote]

It's called sarcasm, unfortunately it's a little hard to convey in text.

Edited to better show who said what.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Also, if you knew anything at all about touchscreens you would know that they can't be used for analog control.

You goddamn stupid Americans must make EVERYTHING a good versus evil issue and argue and fight for your side against logic and reason. I don't understand how SO MANY PEOPLE can be SO STUPID![/quote]

Funny how you've managed to do just that...let's see, you're attacking Nintendo while defending Sony, and you're attacking America as some sort of 'enlightened' outsider...

I'm not saying I'm better than you, but if you're trying to make a point, hypocricy hinders your cause.

[quote name='lord_slappy']To somewhat get back on topic, I am disappointed with only one thing that I've read about the DS. That is that there is not a port to allow a hook-up between the Cube and the DS. Now I don't have a GBA right now (it's amazing I've gone so long w/o one), but I expect to get one soon w/ the amazing price that it's at. I have FF:Crystal Chronicles, and I intend to get Zelda: Four Swords. Now I have to keep the GBA around to play them since the DS doesn't look like it will have an accessory to work with it. Oh well, no biggie. Just a slight disappointment.[/quote]

Yeah, that's the main reason I'm holding onto my SP. Four Swords is a blast with even just one other person. You'll love it.

[quote name='alongx'][quote name='Ledhed']The SP is backlit. You're comment makes it sound as though it isn't.[/quote]

The SP is frontlit, not backlit. Your comment makes it sound as though it isn't.[/quote]

LOL

[quote name='Quackzilla']Also, if you knew anything at all about touchscreens you would know that they can't be used for analog control.

You goddamn stupid Americans must make EVERYTHING a good versus evil issue and argue and fight for your side against logic and reason. I don't understand how SO MANY PEOPLE can be SO STUPID![/quote]

Blame America for all your troubles.

Okay - ignoring all the childish name calling up above me... I have a random question. =)

Is the DS gonna be backwards compatible? I'm sure I read it somewhere but I'm too lazy to do a search

[quote name='nikkai']Okay - ignoring all the childish name calling up above me... I have a random question. =)

Is the DS gonna be backwards compatible? I'm sure I read it somewhere but I'm too lazy to do a search[/quote]

It will play GBA games.

Edit: Too late :cry:

I'm actually pretty excited about the prospect of playing GBA games on my DS. There are quite a few GBA games I've been meaning to pick up but haven't been able to.

The post in this topic angers me, grrrr. Why is it that some posters feel the need to flame then call us "Stupid Americans"?
Back on topic: The GBA is a great handheld it is cheap and has a great selection of games. I am glad that the DS can play all of the GBA games that I know and love and I hope the big N will stick with the DS and not ditch it if they don't get the sales they are looking for. I am glad no one anymore is giving that DS=Virtualboy shit anymore. I hope the PSP dose well because competition is always good for gamers.

[quote name='spoo']The post in this topic angers me, grrrr. Why is it that some posters feel the need to flame then call us "Stupid Americans"?
[/quote]

Because the lure of the illogical is addictive to some people. Why a topic about portable gaming degenerated to that is beyond me.

[quote name='GuilewasNK'][quote name='spoo']The post in this topic angers me, grrrr. Why is it that some posters feel the need to flame then call us "Stupid Americans"?
[/quote]

Because the lure of the illogical is addictive to some people. Why a topic about portable gaming degenerated to that is beyond me.[/quote]

Exactly. There is no reason to put political reasons into every conversation

bread's done
Back