3DS early adopter 'sucker' package: NES collection now up

poiuiu

CAGiversary!
Log into the 3DS store and slowly download the Ambassador package one title at a time.

And apparently it's A/B with no Y/B option, as typical of Nintendo's style of emulation/backwards compatibility.

List of games:

• Super Mario Bros.
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
  • Metroid
  • Wrecking Crew
  • Balloon Fight
  • Yoshi (Not Yoshi's cookie, which is a different puzzle game)
  • Ice Climber
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • NES Open Tournament Golf

Just remember that these games are just the betas and the full release will be available with a free update at a later date.

I checked out Super Mario Bros and noticed the image is really sharp, nothing like the other virtual console games or regular DS games. Unfortunately it didn't support save states. That's the only game I tried so far.

Edit: I was wrong, there is a save state automatically saved when you return to the Home menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
They will sell the NES ones to everyone in the future, they've said so. They claim there are no plans to sell the GBA ones but you can bet there's a good chance somewhere down the line they will announce GBA for everyone and sell those games.

[quote name='foxmcloud']ambassador games will never be available to non ambassadors
[/QUOTE]

Oooohhhh big deal Mr. Ambassdor... Let's see I have all these titles emulated (and about 2000 more) on my: NDS, Wii, PC, and even my Dreamcast.

Unless these games are rendered in 3D... I see nothing truly special about this.

[quote name='jccjr1982']Oooohhhh big deal Mr. Ambassdor... Let's see I have all these titles emulated (and about 2000 more) on my: NDS, Wii, PC, and even my Dreamcast.

Unless these games are rendered in 3D... I see nothing truly special about this.[/QUOTE]

Ooooooooooooh big deal Mr. Emulator..... Let's see I have all the titles here worth getting on my fully functional NES. As in, the original cartridges. I win!

:booty:

[quote name='djsaiyan']Ooooooooooooh big deal Mr. Emulator..... Let's see I have all the titles here worth getting on my fully functional NES. As in, the original cartridges. I win!

:booty:[/QUOTE]
Epic burn.

Question, do these games stay on the SD card? I just noticed in the light, on the top screen that I think I see a light scratch. I might have to call Nintendo up next week.

[quote name='OmegaChaos']Question, do these games stay on the SD card? I just noticed in the light, on the top screen that I think I see a light scratch. I might have to call Nintendo up next week.[/QUOTE]

Yep.

I want my $80 back. :/ Instead of NES games, I'd prefer if Nintendo gave me Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 for free.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']They stay on the SD card but they will only work in that same machine unless Nintendo transfers your data to another one.[/QUOTE]

I thought they do that automatically. People said they transfer all your data to the new 3DS.

[quote name='OmegaChaos']I thought they do that automatically. People said they transfer all your data to the new 3DS.[/QUOTE]
Yeah they do, the guy asked an awkward question so it was an awkward answer.

Wow, look at all these games! It's like having an NES right in my pocket!!

No, wait, its like VHS quality on a Bluray player. I might as well pop that 3D button off.

I guess it's the thought that counts. It costs me $80, and it doesn't cost Nintendo a damn thing.
(I'm sorry, I'm still a little steamed about how this whole thing went down)

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']Wow, look at all these games! It's like having an NES right in my pocket!!

No, wait, its like VHS quality on a Bluray player. I might as well pop that 3D button off.

I guess it's the thought that counts. It costs me $80, and it doesn't cost Nintendo a damn thing.
(I'm sorry, I'm still a little steamed about how this whole thing went down)[/QUOTE]

You and me both. I emailed Nintendo several times complaining about the ambassador program. At the very least, I'd rather have $80 is shop credit that I can choose what I download rather than Nintendo choosing for me. I also told them that I'd rather have some kind of voucher for free 3DS games than these virtual console games. After all, I bought a 3DS to play 3DS games, not NES and GBA games. I was impressed that Nintendo's customer service people emailed me back each and every time, but ultimately advised me that the ambassador program was all that they're offering at this time. Oh well...serves me right for jumping in early when even I was skeptical of the high pricing. Not making that mistake again.....Nintendo is gonna have to really offer me a sweet deal before I jump in and get a Wii U.

I agree. Although the 20 free games are nice, I have nearly all of them on other systems, many of them multiple times. And the only real game I've played on the system since launch is OoT3D, which I also own multiple times.

I won't be buying a WiiU at launch. Not until Nintendo can give me a proper reason to. I probably won't buy a Vita at launch either.

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']Wow, look at all these games! It's like having an NES right in my pocket!!

(I'm sorry, I'm still a little steamed about how this whole thing went down)[/QUOTE]

What went down was you bought a system at launch.

Everyone who buys systems at launch... regardless of what it is... usually gets screwed in some way. You gotta know that going into it.

Prices always drop, games get bundled, hardware gets upgraded... and sometimes... the system flops.

I bought an Atari Jaguar at launch! Ask me anything on this topic. :lol:

The ambassador program, early / big price drop and (hopefully) whatever they announce on the 12th shows me that Nintendo sees the 3DS as a must succeed, which is a good thing for early adopters.

Had to come and rant a bit as well. If they would only convert them to 3D it would breath so much more life into them. As is I just have no interest in games that have had 20 iterations through franchises that vastly improve what these guys were doing in the 80's.

And I was there so I can be nostalgic, I just think there should have been some meaningful additions to show the early adopters they really cared.

[quote name='Fatbot3']

And I was there so I can be nostalgic, I just think there should have been some meaningful additions to show the early adopters they really cared.[/QUOTE]

But... It's Nintendo. They don't care.

I also pointed out to Nintendo that many stores dropped the price of the 3DS before their official launch date and therefore many people were getting the 3DS for $170 and still qualifying for the ambassador program, which is just further salt in the wound. They should've had longer separation between ambassador eligible people and the price drop to prevent that from happening. As it is, I think they should offer the "true" early adopters something extra. I know it won't happen, and Nintendo didn't have to give us anything in the first place. But given that we are the ones that typically drive sales for Nintendo by buying stuff at the beginning, you would think they would make more of an effort in ensuring our satisfaction. As it is, they have burnt a lot of loyal customers that will most likely not be early adopters for Nintendo products going forward. That will cost Nintendo more in the end than had they just refunded people their $80 or given more substantial offerings to make up for everything.

One other beef I have is that I think all of a person's downloadable games should be tied to their Club Nintendo account such that once I own Super Mario Bros. I can access that game from my Wii, 3DS, DSi or whatever. Its silly that I have all these NES games and am limited to playing it on my small 3DS screen when I have my Wii connected to a nice big TV at home. Just further proof IMO that Nintendo is no longer the forward thinking company they used to be.

[quote name='dschroll']I also pointed out to Nintendo that many stores dropped the price of the 3DS before their official launch date and therefore many people were getting the 3DS for $170 and still qualifying for the ambassador program, which is just further salt in the wound.[/QUOTE]

What wound? Prices go down.

Should someone who bought Duke Nukem Forever for $60 demand compensation when a month later someone can get it for $30?

How about the HP Tablet owners who paid $400 for their unit that's now been discontinued and cleared out for $100. Does HP owe them anything? Are they getting anything?

My advice is don't worry about what other people get or don't get. There's always going to be someone who gets a better deal than you, or finds a way to work around the system... focus on what "you" have.

Your 3DS still has the same strengths and weaknesses as before the price drop / ambassador program, only now you got 20 free downloads on top of what you already had.

[quote name='eataburger']What wound? Prices go down.

Should someone who bought Duke Nukem Forever for $60 demand compensation when a month later someone can get it for $30?

How about the HP Tablet owners who paid $400 for their unit that's now been discontinued and cleared out for $100. Does HP owe them anything? Are they getting anything?

My advice is don't worry about what other people get or don't get. There's always going to be someone who gets a better deal than you, or finds a way to work around the system... focus on what "you" have.

Your 3DS still has the same strengths and weaknesses as before the price drop / ambassador program, only now you got 20 free downloads on top of what you already had.[/QUOTE]

Actually, HP is refunding people's money who paid full price for the tablet. When the iphone launched and then dropped in price a few months later, Apple gave everyone itunes credit to use whatever they wanted.

Hardware prices do go down eventually. Not 4 months after launch and certainly not by 30%.
The 3DS launch was mediocre at best and Nintendo relied on the loyalty of its die hard fans to kick the 3DS launch off to a good start. They soon realized it wasn't enough and had to act fast by reducing the price. Unfortunately, the fans Nintendo relies on for a successful launch are the ones that ultimately got burned Had Nintendo done nothing, they would've lost a ton of long time fans (myself included). They HAD to do something to save face on this. I can certainly appreciate that they didn't have to do anything, but the truth is they really HAD just to minimize damage for the upcoming Wii U launch.

The 20 free games thing looks good on paper, but in actuality its a minimal effort at best. Nintendo pre selects the games for you and they're all old g VC games. Since most early adopters tend to be long time Nintendo fans, there's a high probability that those early adopters have already played or own many of those games. I know I have on a number of them. So I think its fair that I get frustrated that someone buying a 3DS 4 months after me gets to buy it for $80 cheaper (and many of whom still got those same 20 games) while I several games I already own on other platforms and had no interest in really playing again.

Different strokes for different folks, but I've always said Nintendo should've just given people $80 in eshop credit to spend however, they like. Then I can select games I haven't played and don't own.

Except, the eShop has nothing worth while to even spend that 80$ on to begin with. You guys are also forgetting that we get 10 GBA games later this year.

[quote name='eataburger']What wound? Prices go down.

Your 3DS still has the same strengths and weaknesses as before the price drop / ambassador program, only now you got 20 free downloads on top of what you already had.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything your saying, but I also understand the previous posters sentiment. Sometimes it feels like there is never a good time to buy anything.

[quote name='OmegaChaos']Except, the eShop has nothing worth while to even spend that 80$ on to begin with. You guys are also forgetting that we get 10 GBA games later this year.[/QUOTE]

Trust me, I remember the GBA games too. Many of which I also own.

[quote name='Wikkidkarma']I agree with everything your saying, but I also understand the previous posters sentiment. Sometimes it feels like there is never a good time to buy anything.[/QUOTE]

I completely understand both sides of the coin. It doesn't take away the fact that I really felt burned with the 3DS launch purchase and I'll definitely be holding off on picking up a Wii U at launch. I've given my money to Nintendo blindly in the past, but I can no longer justify that going forward....except for the Zelda gold remote bundle, which I totally pre ordered ;)

[quote name='dschroll']I completely understand both sides of the coin. It doesn't take away the fact that I really felt burned with the 3DS launch purchase and I'll definitely be holding off on picking up a Wii U at launch. I've given my money to Nintendo blindly in the past, but I can no longer justify that going forward....except for the Zelda gold remote bundle, which I totally pre ordered ;)[/QUOTE]

I agree, zelda preorders generally become rather rare.

Two orders for me...

Also random question, do we get the full 20 games, or do we pick from the two packages?

[quote name='eataburger']
The problem is the 3DS has never had the strengths promised by Nintendo before launch and many people who paid the original $250 feel that the 3DS has not lived up to that price tag or their reasonable expectations (for example the expectation that there would be more than ONE 3DSware game available 5 months after release.) Taking that into account, the fact that Nintendo realized they had botched the system launched, panicked, and cut the price by $80 so fast has people justifiably irritated. For a lot of those people, 20 classic roms don't make up for the disappointment that has come with being a 3DS owner.

People can defend Nintendo all they want, it doesn't change the fact that they royally screwed up, as evidenced by the executives apologizing for their shortcomings and taking large pay cuts as a result of this FUBAR.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']The problem is the 3DS has never had the strengths promised by Nintendo before launch and many people who paid the original $250 feel that the 3DS has not lived up to that price tag or their reasonable expectations (for example the expectation that there would be more than ONE 3DSware game available 5 months after release.) Taking that into account, the fact that Nintendo realized they had botched the system launched, panicked, and cut the price by $80 so fast has people justifiably irritated. For a lot of those people, 20 classic roms don't make up for the disappointment that has come with being a 3DS owner.

People can defend Nintendo all they want, it doesn't change the fact that they royally screwed up, as evidenced by the executives apologizing for their shortcomings and taking large pay cuts as a result of this FUBAR.[/QUOTE]

Very well said. Nintendo claimed with the 3DS that there would be a steady stream of great content and I believe even mentioned that Kid Icarus would be a Summer 2011 title. So far the only real great game on there is Zelda Ocarina of Time, which is a remake of an N64 game...albeit a great one. Kid Icarus got pushed back to who knows when....and the next big title to come for the 3DS is....Starfox 64 3DS. Another remake of an N64 game.

Everyone has different feelings over the ambassador program and I'm glad that many people are content with the 20 VC games as compensation. For me though, I would've rather had my $80 back or at least an opportunity to pick the games I receive rather than Nintendo choosing for me.

Nintendo is learning a very tough lesson with the 3DS and unfortunately I don't think the Wii U will fair any better.

[quote name='Fatbot3']Had to come and rant a bit as well. If they would only convert them to 3D it would breath so much more life into them. As is I just have no interest in games that have had 20 iterations through franchises that vastly improve what these guys were doing in the 80's.[/QUOTE]

The ambassador NES games will be converted (like Excitebike and Xevious) at some point. Like Fuzzy mentioned earlier in the thread, these are early versions of the games.

[quote name='Faytz']Also random question, do we get the full 20 games, or do we pick from the two packages?[/QUOTE]

You get all of them.

[quote name='Faytz']I agree, zelda preorders generally become rather rare.

Two orders for me...

Also random question, do we get the full 20 games, or do we pick from the two packages?[/QUOTE]

You get all 20 games. NES ones you can get now. The GBA ones will come out later.
Supposedly the GBA ones will be exclusive to ambassadors and won't be released to the public. Somehow I doubt Nintendo will stick to that though given there are some very popular GBA games on that list.

[quote name='happyfish']The ambassador NES games will be converted (like Excitebike and Xevious) at some point. Like Fuzzy mentioned earlier in the thread, these are early versions of the games.[/QUOTE]
They won't be converted to 3D, but they will eventually be officially released in retail-quality with full virtual console in-game menu and even online functionality according to Nintendo. What the ambassadors have been given is the early versions of these releases.

Sony's free service goes down and they give everyone 5 current gen releases. Nintendo drops the 3DS by $80 and gives me a handful of 15 - 25 year old games.

I have no issue with the 3DS dropping in price. But $80 just 5 months after release is just insane. They should have dropped it by $20 in August and than $30 more by Christmas. A full $80 price drop should have happened a full YEAR after its release AT LEAST!

Seriously, if you bought a 3DS for $250, you can't help but feel a little pissed about this. Chances are, if you're saying "price drops happen" or "hey, you're getting 20 FREE games", you didn't pay $250 for your 3DS.

It has left a bad taste in everyone's mouth who were early adopters of the 3DS. Basically in an attempt to sell more handhelds, Nintendo has crapped all over their biggest supporters and as a result, they are now thinking twice about buying another Nintendo product.

Why would ANYBODY buy a Wii-U on release when they know if they just don't buy the system, Nintendo will drop the price of the console by $80 or more?

Bottom line, they dropped the price too much too fast. There is a right way to do things, and a wrong way. While the people who don't have a 3DS yet, feel it was the right thing. The people who bought a 3DS at $250 can't help but feel it was the wrong way.

That's just business? Well, it's BAD business.

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']Chances are, if you're saying "price drops happen" or "hey, you're getting 20 FREE games", you didn't pay $250 for your 3DS. It has left a bad taste in everyone's mouth who were early adopters of the 3DS.[/QUOTE]

I cant say that I fully agree with that. I had my preorder on it for awhile and am a day one buyer of the 3DS and im sort of at the point of saying price drops happen. I went and paid knowing that I was fully ready to buy the 3DS at $250, if I wasn't I wouldn't have. I will say I admittedly was a little shocked by the drop but im just glad Nintendo did something to compensate. True, the Ambassador program isn't really costing Nintendo a dime and I more then likely would not have downloaded any of the 20 titles on my own but they did something at least. So as far as bad taste, it was more of an awkward one for a couple of days till it set in. Now what Nintendo should do is keep the Ambassador program as a full and continuing service, meaning early access to some VC games, demos perhaps, or at least make it a little more worth it for those who did adopt early. That's just my take on it, but I guess everyone has there own ideas about what should be done.

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']Sony's free service goes down and they give everyone 5 current gen releases.[/QUOTE]

This isn't really accurate. They allowed PS3 owners to choose two titles from a list of five options and PSP owners to do the same from another list of five. It also wasn't just a simple matter of the service going down; every person who had a PSN account containing personal information had that information compromised.

I understand people being upset about Nintendo dropping the price so soon; I'm in the same boat being an early adopter myself. However, I can't argue that the price drop was absolutely the right thing to do. Sales were not meeting expectations which in turn causes developers to balk at devoting resources to producing software. Would you rather have spent a little more money at first on a platform that eventually turned out to have a great library? Or would you rather the price have stayed the same, causing that platform to potentially die an early death and leave you even more bitter and frustrated?

Also, imagining that the Wii U launch will automatically face the same problems is short-sighted. Obviously it's always risky to buy a brand-new platform, but to think that Nintendo has not and will not learn anything from their mistakes in this case is foolish.

I don't know why Nintendo can't give AAA 3DS games to early adoptees. I guess it cuts into their bottom line. A free copy of Super Mario Land 3D when it comes out is better than a bunch of old games that everybody has played to death.

Nonetheless, I like the 3DS. I have played it almost everyday since I bought it on the day of the price drop.

[quote name='Derfel']This isn't really accurate. They allowed PS3 owners to choose two titles from a list of five options and PSP owners to do the same from another list of five. It also wasn't just a simple matter of the service going down; every person who had a PSN account containing personal information had that information compromised.

I understand people being upset about Nintendo dropping the price so soon; I'm in the same boat being an early adopter myself. However, I can't argue that the price drop was absolutely the right thing to do. Sales were not meeting expectations which in turn causes developers to balk at devoting resources to producing software. Would you rather have spent a little more money at first on a platform that eventually turned out to have a great library? Or would you rather the price have stayed the same, causing that platform to potentially die an early death and leave you even more bitter and frustrated?

Also, imagining that the Wii U launch will automatically face the same problems is short-sighted. Obviously it's always risky to buy a brand-new platform, but to think that Nintendo has not and will not learn anything from their mistakes in this case is foolish.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree and want the platform to do well to further strengthen our investment in the platform. But given Nintendo is a very cash heavy company that has been making gobs of profit on many of us for years, I'd like them to do a little more for us than offer us the privilege of downloading 20 old 2D games to be played on a platform that was promoted to having amazing 3D visuals. Like I said, it just feels half hearted at best IMO. They could've easily done more. Yes, they are a business, and like any business, sometimes its better to lose a little money up front and keep customers coming back then to potentially lose those customers for good.

What kills me about Nintendo is that every generation I feel like they say, "Yes, we've learned our lessons and promise this time will be different." And this time turns out to be not that different. For the 3DS, Nintendo knew online was important and also that having a steady stream of great titles was important. They said so over and over again. And here we are post 3DS launch with Zelda being the only decent title to come out in 5 months.

How many generations has Nintendo claimed that they've learned their lesson about 3rd party content being important (since the N64 days) and every generation it seems Nintendo still struggles with getting 3rd parties happy. How many times do they talk about the importance of a string of good titles and yet we have numerous droughts on their platforms. Look at the Wii with almost next to nothing worthwhile having been released on it in ages and Zelda being the only noteworthy game that's coming up.

I think the Wii U launch price/lineup/online offerings will truly tell us if Nintendo has actually learned anything this past generation.

[quote name='dschroll']
What kills me about Nintendo is that every generation I feel like they say, "Yes, we've learned our lessons and promise this time will be different." And this time turns out to be not that different. For the 3DS, Nintendo knew online was important and also that having a steady stream of great titles was important. They said so over and over again. And here we are post 3DS launch with Zelda being the only decent title to come out in 5 months.

How many generations has Nintendo claimed that they've learned their lesson about 3rd party content being important (since the N64 days) and every generation it seems Nintendo still struggles with getting 3rd parties happy. How many times do they talk about the importance of a string of good titles and yet we have numerous droughts on their platforms.[/QUOTE]
This is exactly how I feel. People say "You were comfortable paying $250 for the 3DS" but I would not have paid if I knew they wouldn't fulfill promises and claims, and that we would end up where we are. They don't seem to learn, and don't seem to care until it starts hurting their bottom line.

[quote name='dschroll']What kills me about Nintendo is that every generation I feel like they say, "Yes, we've learned our lessons and promise this time will be different." And this time turns out to be not that different. For the 3DS, Nintendo knew online was important and also that having a steady stream of great titles was important. They said so over and over again. And here we are post 3DS launch with Zelda being the only decent title to come out in 5 months.

How many generations has Nintendo claimed that they've learned their lesson about 3rd party content being important (since the N64 days) and every generation it seems Nintendo still struggles with getting 3rd parties happy. How many times do they talk about the importance of a string of good titles and yet we have numerous droughts on their platforms. Look at the Wii with almost next to nothing worthwhile having been released on it in ages and Zelda being the only noteworthy game that's coming up.

I think the Wii U launch price/lineup/online offerings will truly tell us if Nintendo has actually learned anything this past generation.[/QUOTE]

The last two Nintendo platform launches, the Wii and the DS before it, were a total crapshoot. After diminishing sales of earlier systems, particularly in the home console market, they were trying something radically different that they had no idea whether or not it would catch on. The DS had a slow start itself, which people often forget, but eventually went on to become the highest-selling platform of all time. The Wii was hot right out of the gate and has become by far Nintendo's best-selling home console. I think part of the reason the 3DS has struggled is that Nintendo expected that the incredible success of the DS would carry its momentum forward to the 3DS and ensure healthy sales. They had a little bit of the David Reeves complex, thinking that consumers would flock to it no matter what it was or what the software lineup was like. They had attracted a lot of developer attention because of the success of the DS, but as everyone knows games take time to make and rushing a product to market can always backfire.

The market has changed a lot over the last several years, and Nintendo has clearly had difficulty keeping up with the times. The Japanese and North American markets are diverging ever further and the advent of smartphones and tablet computers have significantly altered the face of gaming. The choices that they made when designing the 3DS may have seemed revolutionary in concept, but are they what the mass market wants in practice? Nintendo themselves have backpedalled on a lot of the thinking, stating that they themselves may develop games that don't use 3D at all (a fine idea) and de-emphasizing some of the features that were initially much-lauded.

I do think that they will learn from their mistakes and try to rectify the issues that have arisen. The first part of that is making sure that the system gets into people's hands, hence the price cut. We're seeing a lot of potential support out of Japan for the 3DS, with a lot of titles announced for the upcoming Tokyo Game Show. This is a good sign, as many of the best handheld games (in my opinion, anyway) are from Japanese developers. I'm willing to give this a chance and hope for the best; maybe things will turn out great like they eventually did for the original DS. We'll just have to wait and see.

Also, it's not like there's nothing but Zelda coming out for the Wii. Nintendo themselves have the new Kirby game (which looks awesome), Rhythm Heaven (which IS awesome) and Fortune Street (which could be interesting), and there's the usual batch of third-party multi-plats which may or may not be of quality (X-Men, Spiderman, Need for Speed, Call of Duty, WWE, Lego Harry Potter, Rayman) and a new Mario & Sonic Olympic game. And JUST DANCE 3.

This turned into quite the little editorial. Sorry. :p

MRIs show that die-hard supporters of companies like Nintendo (and Apple, and Ford, and Chevy) have the same part of the brain stimulated that religious paraphernalia/imagery does for highly religious people.

So basically, certain brands defy logic & common sense in certain people's eyes. They can't do no wrong.

I'm a sucker, myself.

[quote name='lustyhitter']I don't know why Nintendo can't give AAA 3DS games to early adoptees. I guess it cuts into their bottom line. A free copy of Super Mario Land 3D when it comes out is better than a bunch of old games that everybody has played to death.

Nonetheless, I like the 3DS. I have played it almost everyday since I bought it on the day of the price drop.[/QUOTE]

Because that would be an incredibly stupid thing for them to do. For the first time in years, Nintendo is actually LOSING money. Their AAA games are a surefire way to turn that around. Giving them away would be incredibly bad for business.

Remember, Nintendo is a company. They have to be concerned about their bottom line.

And they didn't have to give anybody anything. Gamers have this amazing sense of entitlement. They think they're owed something every single time something doesn't go their way, when the fact of the matter is they owe you nothing.

Is it a crappy offering most Nintendo fans will probably already have? Absolutely. But they were under no obligation to offer it at all. Be thankful they cared enough to.

[quote name='djsaiyan']Because that would be an incredibly stupid thing for them to do. For the first time in years, Nintendo is actually LOSING money. Their AAA games are a surefire way to turn that around. Giving them away would be incredibly bad for business.

Remember, Nintendo is a company. They have to be concerned about their bottom line.

And they didn't have to give anybody anything. Gamers have this amazing sense of entitlement. They think they're owed something every single time something doesn't go their way, when the fact of the matter is they owe you nothing.

Is it a crappy offering most Nintendo fans will probably already have? Absolutely. But they were under no obligation to offer it at all. Be thankful they cared enough to.[/QUOTE]

Again, giving away a few hundred thousand copies of a triple A game is not as bad for business as losing a few hundred thousand repeat customers. Had Nintendo done NOTHING, they would've lost a ton of customers. So while they technically didn't have to do anything for early adopters, they really did have to do something to try and prevent a huge outcry from their loyal customers who not only would've probably stopped giving Nintendo as much business, but also would have been fairly vocal about their unhappiness with Nintendo. Nintendo is already in public image troubles with the 3DS price cut, so they don't need additional hurdles coming from a lot of very upset early adopters.

Nintendo rarely loses money on anything. The 3DS is the exception now since they've dropped it so quickly and the exchange rate also factoring into that equation. Nintendo has a TON of a cash reserves though. They could lose money for the next 10 years and still be a solvent company. They need to see the writing on the wall though and that is that the industry is very different today than it was a few years ago. Smartphones, tablets, ipods are eating up marketshare left and right. Many games on such devices can be had for free or for cheap (99 cents). Nintendo's old world of doing things and charging $40 for a portable game is going to be an uphill battle as the perceived value for games continues to change. The last people Nintendo wants to upset are the very people that typically pay full price for their games and hardware. Those are the people Nintendo needs more than ever. Offering those very fans a premium freebie in the form of a AAA 3DS game might shave off a few hundred thousand in sales dollars, but would probably have a more beneficial long term return.

All I can say is that the business I've given Nintendo continues to decrease as I just no longer feel they're the innovative company they once were. I'll still buy a few select games, but am much more critical now of what games I buy for my Nintendo systems versus my other platforms. I refuse to spend money on their download content since its tied to a device and not an account. Until Nintendo starts to correct some of these issues, I just feel their business will continue to suffer.

[quote name='dschroll']Again, giving away a few hundred thousand copies of a triple A game is not as bad for business as losing a few hundred thousand repeat customers. Had Nintendo done NOTHING, they would've lost a ton of customers. So while they technically didn't have to do anything for early adopters, they really did have to do something to try and prevent a huge outcry from their loyal customers who not only would've probably stopped giving Nintendo as much business, but also would have been fairly vocal about their unhappiness with Nintendo. Nintendo is already in public image troubles with the 3DS price cut, so they don't need additional hurdles coming from a lot of very upset early adopters.

Nintendo rarely loses money on anything. The 3DS is the exception now since they've dropped it so quickly and the exchange rate also factoring into that equation. Nintendo has a TON of a cash reserves though. They could lose money for the next 10 years and still be a solvent company. They need to see the writing on the wall though and that is that the industry is very different today than it was a few years ago. Smartphones, tablets, ipods are eating up marketshare left and right. Many games on such devices can be had for free or for cheap (99 cents). Nintendo's old world of doing things and charging $40 for a portable game is going to be an uphill battle as the perceived value for games continues to change. The last people Nintendo wants to upset are the very people that typically pay full price for their games and hardware. Those are the people Nintendo needs more than ever. Offering those very fans a premium freebie in the form of a AAA 3DS game might shave off a few hundred thousand in sales dollars, but would probably have a more beneficial long term return.

All I can say is that the business I've given Nintendo continues to decrease as I just no longer feel they're the innovative company they once were. I'll still buy a few select games, but am much more critical now of what games I buy for my Nintendo systems versus my other platforms. I refuse to spend money on their download content since its tied to a device and not an account. Until Nintendo starts to correct some of these issues, I just feel their business will continue to suffer.[/QUOTE]

I don't think Nintendo is looking at it as "they could've lost a ton of customers". Look at the Wii sales figures vs the current 3DS sales. It's far more likely they're thinking "we have a huge pile of customers here we haven't attracted to this product yet". And then decided to throw early adopters a dirty half chewed bone just to score a bit of positive PR.

They don't care about the hardcore Nintendo fan anymore. They want the casual market. They want the kids and grandmas that bought the Wii. They outnumber us by a wiiiiiiiiiiide margin.

Of course the Wii's runaway success has blinded them to just how out of touch with their market they actually are, so unless they fix up they aren't going to pull them in either.

I don't understand how people didn't see this coming.

When Nintendo showed off the 3DS for the first time, they later made a remark that due to the positive feedback they received, the unit would be sold for more than they had originally planned. Essentially, they put a premium on it for those that are obsessed with buying new gadgets regardless of price or value. Is it any wonder the thing has sold so poorly with the games that are available? It`s beyond me why anyone would buy a game system that has had barely anything worthwhile to play aside from a few N64 ports.

[quote name='djsaiyan']I don't think Nintendo is looking at it as "they could've lost a ton of customers". Look at the Wii sales figures vs the current 3DS sales. It's far more likely they're thinking "we have a huge pile of customers here we haven't attracted to this product yet". And then decided to throw early adopters a dirty half chewed bone just to score a bit of positive PR.

They don't care about the hardcore Nintendo fan anymore. They want the casual market. They want the kids and grandmas that bought the Wii. They outnumber us by a wiiiiiiiiiiide margin.

Of course the Wii's runaway success has blinded them to just how out of touch with their market they actually are, so unless they fix up they aren't going to pull them in either.[/QUOTE]

That's just it though. While the Wii was a runaway success in terms of hardware sales, it was not in terms of software sales. Software tie ratio was much lower on Wii than it was on 360 and PS3. That means those grandmas and kids were only buying a Wii for Wii Sports and not much else. Nintendo knows that they lost a lot of gamers on the Wii since the system didn't offer much in the way of hardcore gamer content. They claim the Wii U will make up for the at with the HD graphics and increased horsepower. Clearly, Nintendo wants this customer back. So, like I said, it boggles me why Nintendo wouldn't go out of their way to please those exact customers who paid full price for their latest handheld system.

We'll see how this all plays out, but I have a feeling that Nintendo will be a software only company in a few years. As much as it pains me to say it, I just don't think they can compete anymore with where the industry is going.

[quote name='dschroll']
We'll see how this all plays out, but I have a feeling that Nintendo will be a software only company in a few years. As much as it pains me to say it, I just don't think they can compete anymore with where the industry is going.[/QUOTE]
It's almost like they could compete if they wanted to, but they refuse. For example they aren't putting a hard drive in the wii-u.

bread's done
Back