3DS games Shin Megami Tensei 4 + Projext x Zone LE

Liquid Metal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
44 (100%)
http://www.amazon.com/Shin-Megami-Tensei-IV-nintendo-3ds/dp/B00C1ZBFTW/ref=pd_bxgy_vg_img_y

First print editions come with a ton of cool bonuses. Given that its an atlus release, these could become super rare to find. Think of it like radiant historia first print. Gamestop preorders get some special dlc code.

http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/games/project-x-zone-limited-edition/107703

I don't see amazons listing saying its anything about it being a Limited Edition version. Gamestop has it with special packagaing, soundtrack and other little things.

They are both MSRP but who knows how long you have to secure yourself these copies. Don't wait on the shin megami preorder in my opinion.

Yeah, the characters (and the fact that a game like this is coming to the States in general) are the main reason I have it ordered, I've played through a fair amount of repetitive games, some with bad stories, but if there's something in it I like I'll usually go through it, plus I could always just play it in small chunks if it gets to be too much of the same.

[quote name='Celestial']Is the battle system similar to the Endless Frontier games? Aside from the cast of characters, that's what actually got me interested.[/QUOTE]
Yes, the battle system is very similar to the endless frontier games and pxz's predecessor, namco x capcom with the real-time inputs and the goal of breaking and juggling the opponent to maximize damage. If you've played either of those you'll know that the battle system is actually very fun.

The problem with this game is that the entire game relies on that battle system alone to carry it, and it only works for the first dozen or two dozen hours. Despite being a strategy rpg, it doesn't contain any other meaningful mechanics along the lines of weakness triangles, jobs, terrain mechanics, etc. Basically nothing that adds "strategy". It has map attacks, seishin-style abilities ala SRW, a few status elements and that's it. The maps could all be literal flat chessboards and the game wouldn't change.

The other problem is that in a 50-60 hour game, about 30 hours in you'll hit a "growth cap". You'll still level up and increase stats a little bit each time, but those stats are mostly meaningless in the first place. What I mean by growth cap is that you'll have unlocked every unit and move for each unit, so the feeling of character growth is gone. Moreover, by this point, because of the lack of game mechanics, each unit will essentially be indistinguishable from others. There's nothing unique between one unit and another other than their attack animations by endgame.

This is comparable, for example, to playing fire emblem or fft and halfway through the game, all your units are suddenly one same job class, equipment and skills becomes meaningless, and your only attack option is the regular physical "attack" option, but you still have half the game left to play. For the latter part of the game you'll be doing the exact same thing with every unit - moving them up to the enemy and attacking with the same combo you've been using for the last 30 hours, no variation. It's made even worse by the terrible level design in later stages where maps can take an hour or two because they just throw hordes of high-hp enemies at you.

The story is also pretty bad and you'll get really tired of the antagonists' dialogue fast, but a deep story isn't something you should expect from this type of game in the first place I suppose. Like I said, the game is pretty fun for the first couple dozen hours and the cross-series character convos are great. The sprite animation in this game is some of the best out there as well, as you would expect from banpresto. There are things to like here (like megaman X's last real appearance in a game LOL), but just don't expect much from the gameplay side when all is said and done.

^I enjoyed Endless Frontier for :ds:, though I sold it for profit on Amazon after beating it. I'm mainly buying Project X Zone day-one because of the cool extras for first-run copies. Maybe I'll like it more than EF and won't sell it after completion, but we'll see. ;)

Anyway, I had PXZ paid off at a local GS but decided to preorder at Amazon since it appeared in my Quick Picks. I'll transfer my GS preorder to SMT IV.

[quote name='excellen']The game has a 3/5 star rating on amazon.jp and price dropped as much as 85% (from $65~ msrp -> $10) during fire sales in Japan just a few months after release, which almost never happens.[/QUOTE]

The last time I remember a game going on sale this fast and this cheap in Japan was FF13.

[quote name='excellen']I can't stress enough that those of you who aren't already dead set on PXZ should wait on it to hit the bargain bin or for reviews from wherever you trust. Despite it being like a fan's wet-dream for a crossover game, it's by monolith soft's shittier development team and is not worth full price.

The game has a 3/5 star rating on amazon.jp and price dropped as much as 85% (from $65~ msrp -> $10) during fire sales in Japan just a few months after release, which almost never happens.
I would only recommend it if you just happen to be a huge fan of a good number of the participating series and character interaction/dialogue alone can carry a game for you.[/QUOTE]

So how close is the quality to the PS3 game Cross Edge? That was a POS.

Seriously, guys? All first run copies of PXZ are "CE"...including from Amazon. I would have gotten it from Newegg to save on the tax, but given how they package boxed collectors items, I saved myself the hassle and went with Amazon

[quote name='excellen']I can't stress enough that those of you who aren't already dead set on PXZ should wait on it to hit the bargain bin or for reviews from wherever you trust. Despite it being like a fan's wet-dream for a crossover game, it's by monolith soft's shittier development team and is not worth full price.

The game has a 3/5 star rating on amazon.jp and price dropped as much as 85% (from $65~ msrp -> $10) during fire sales in Japan just a few months after release, which almost never happens.
I would only recommend it if you just happen to be a huge fan of a good number of the participating series and character interaction/dialogue alone can carry a game for you.[/QUOTE]

Now I am second guessing my decision on pre-ordering or not. I want the game and am use to hand held games holding value far longer than console. If what you say is true...I just wonder if might be a scarcity issue in NA given likely will not release many copies of it.

Dude, that's the CE box! That must have been terrible.

i hope amazon gets the LE for project x zone because thats where i preordered it and had points to do so not to mention i have $50 in amazon gift cards from my birthday so i guess my shin megami IV is paid for now

[quote name='GrimmTrixX']i hope amazon gets the LE for project x zone because thats where i preordered it and had points to do so not to mention i have $50 in amazon gift cards from my birthday so i guess my shin megami IV is paid for now[/QUOTE]You will 100% be getting the "LE" since all first-run copies will be the LE.

bread's done
Back