3DS[i] eShop Shop Thread:**LAST DAY TO GET ZELDA 4 SWORDS FOR FREE**

I don't mean to sound like I'm whoring it out, but, Mighty Flip Champs? Developers are clocking it in at more than 5 hours.

It looks like a cool puzzle game, and from the makers of Shantae? I'll definitely get it.
And probably Real Soccer 2009 if it comes here.

I am really liking the 200 point games ported from WarioWare. They are great to kill a few minutes with.

Paper Airplane Chase: High Score 123.

My "Hi Score" (as the game puts it) on Paper airplane: 189

I played through a good session of Aquia and when it started to blackout, I just randomly moved random blocks around to save myself and win the level. I then tried the same strategy at the beginning of the next level and won faster than I could playing legitimately. Call me cheapo, but I did this for the next couple of levels as well....it eventually got me a 14 max combo just by moving random blocks up and down. I then quit as I felt dirty and wanted to see the aquarium unlocks.......but from what I saw....they are all pretty much the SAME.

[quote name='shlby']I played through a good session of Aquia and when it started to blackout, I just randomly moved random blocks around to save myself and win the level. I then tried the same strategy at the beginning of the next level and won faster than I could playing legitimately. Call me cheapo, but I did this for the next couple of levels as well....it eventually got me a 14 max combo just by moving random blocks up and down. I then quit as I felt dirty and wanted to see the aquarium unlocks.......but from what I saw....they are all pretty much the SAME.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about this game, but this eliminates that interest completely. Thanks for the heads-up. I had a similar problem with Meteos. The harder you try in that game, the worse you do. The best strategy in Meteos, as far as I could tell, was to play it braindead.

[quote name='pete5883']But it's no fun to play it braindead.[/QUOTE]

Right. In other words, once you find this out about Meteos, the game isn't any fun - I can't get into playing the game "smartly" (i.e. poorly) and I can't get into playing "dumbly" (i.e right). Neither is satisfying.

[quote name='crunchewy']Right. In other words, once you find this out about Meteos, the game isn't any fun - I can't get into playing the game "smartly" (i.e. poorly) and I can't get into playing "dumbly" (i.e right). Neither is satisfying.[/QUOTE]
I don't really get how knowing how to cheat would take away the fun of playing a game.

[quote name='crunchewy']Right. In other words, once you find this out about Meteos, the game isn't any fun - I can't get into playing the game "smartly" (i.e. poorly) and I can't get into playing "dumbly" (i.e right). Neither is satisfying.[/quote]

The same could kinda be said about Puzzle League. Often times flipping panels randomly does a better job than trying to actually create combos. A major similarity between the two to me , is that part of the fun isn't necessarily playing it "right" or "wrong" but the chaos that ensues while playing it.

[quote name='pete5883']I don't really get how knowing how to cheat would take away the fun of playing a game.[/QUOTE]

Hmm. I don't see why you call it "cheating". I found that the game concept is majorly flawed. It's disappointing and, then, not a good game - I'd much rather play a well designed one.

Except that doing the scribble method in Meteos or the blind switch method in AQUIA won't get higher scores than someone who is playing it with precision.

Much like how you can't button mash your way to victory against good players in a fighting game.

If that's all you want to do in the game, then go ahead. I'm just saying I can pull better combos in AQUIA playing "correctly" than just randomly pushing and switching.

Damn, the non-game software has arrived.

Nintendo DSiWare

Animal Crossing Calculator (Nintendo, 1 player, 200 Nintendo DSi Points™): Need to figure out what you owe Tom Nook or the amount in your savings account? Animal Crossing Calculator features the full functionality of a traditional calculator, including a Memory key and the ability to display up to 13 digits, adding a layer of atmosphere unique to Animal Crossing. Use the Unit Converter to turn one unit of measure into another (such as length, weight, volume and age), or track the history of calculations you've performed. Listen to the Animalese pronunciation of numbers when you press them, and watch for a favorite Animal Crossing character to appear when your result meets certain criteria. Get ready for an inventive and practical way to experience the charm of Animal Crossing.

Animal Crossing Clock (Nintendo, 1 player, 200 Nintendo DSi Points): Enjoy the atmosphere of Animal Crossing in a whole new way with Animal Crossing Clock. Select from either an analog or digital clock and set up to three alarms (with snooze functionality for those who need it). Make your own Town Tune or use sounds created in Nintendo DSi™ Sound, then assign them to the alarms you've set. Use the system's internal clock or offset the time however you like. Then sit back and watch as different characters from Animal Crossing appear and the color of the sky changes as time passes. You'll never miss an important appointment with one of your Animal Crossing friends again.

I suspect the answer is no, and thus it will be largely worthless (except, perhaps, as as travel alarm), but will the alarms in Animal Crossing Clock work even when not running the application? I.e. can it trigger an alarm when you are playing a game? If it could do that I'd buy the Animal Crossing Clock. If not... well I'd still consider it if it will at least work while the DSi is closed/asleep, as it could act as a nifty travel alarm. If it can't even do *that* then it is utterly worthless. In either case, I can't believe Nintendo thinks they can charge for these applications. Stuff like this should be free. Sigh.

I've got a 2000 point card and I have no reason to cash it in on the DSi yet. Maybe next week?

I.e. can it trigger an alarm when you are playing a game?

Only if a game was compatible with the DSi...if Nintendo even programmed it that way in the first place.

So this is all for this week?

"Then sit back and watch as different characters from Animal Crossing appear and the color of the sky changes as time passes."

You gotta be the most boring person in the world to do such a thing.

I really don't understand Nintendo's strategy with downloads. Does their strategy actually work? Are they making more money this way?

AC is one of my favorite series of games, but seriously - four bucks for a glorified clock and calculator?

The former would work if the DSi was like a cell phone and had an external LCD screen (yes, a third screen) or a way to flip the top outward, so that you could see it running at all times.

The latter would only work if there was incentive to use it to unlock things in the Wii version, or an upcoming DSi version, or if it were a fully capable graphing program, or SOMETHING.

They'd both work if the menu system allowed skinning/theming, in the same vein as the 360. But my guess is that they didn't think of that beforehand/it can't be possible to implement even now.

I'm with crunchewy on this one - these should be free. Even on the app store they'd be a buck.

I suspect they are running very low on their reserves of apps/games to release, and are buying time (ho ho, with a clock no less) until they can at least attempt to drop a real game/app each week. Further, some of these are hitting impulse-buy status, just like all the candy at the cash registers in the grocery store. Maybe they are just hoping people will do it just because. That means this could be a test week. Doesn't make me feel any better.

The only way I'm going to ever pick things like this up is if something like the XBLM points fiasco happened a few weeks ago, and I load up on points.

What's sad is that Nintendo of America has another glorified clock and calculator down the pipeline. A super mario version. So, this release is just half the crap fest.

Allegedly the Super Mario clock or calculator or maybe both (not clear on that) actually allow you to play some Mario game, though, so that's something. It might be the closest we get to a virtual console! ;^)

[quote name='Strell']You shut up. That seriously COULD be the closest we'll get to a VC. :[[/QUOTE]

User at NeoGAF confirms DSi VC again.

"Nintendo Rejects Intellivision Lives for DSiWare

It seems Nintendo doesn't allow emulation on their WiiWare or DSiWare services.

After failing to find a publisher for his Intellivision Lives DS compilation, license holder Keith Robinson decided to submit the compilation to Nintendo for approval for a possible release on the DSiWare service. Unfortunately, Nintendo shot that idea down rather quickly. Mr. Robinson made the following statement regarding the reason he was given for the sudden rejection by Nintendo.

Nintendo made mention that in the policies for WiiWare and DSiWare development, the company does not allow games that run under emulation.

It would seem that Nintendo only allows the use of emulation on their Virtual Console service and certainly not anywhere on their WiiWare or DSiWare download services. It appears only emulation the DSi system might eventually see is that of a DSi Virtual Console. Could this be an upcoming announcement for Nintendo at E3? We certainly hope so. But we would have still liked to see this cool Intellivision compilation on the DSiWare service."

http://dsiware.nintendolife.com/news/2009/05/nintendo_rejects_intellivision_lives_for_dsiware

I'd like to see the VC on the DSi, but I would settle for GB, GBC and GBA games...

aka

"Nintendo, I have money. Let me give it to you. ...wait, you don't want this money?"

I would absolutely buy GB, GBC, and maybe even GBA games.
I don't want NES, SNES, etc unless it ties to the Wii and I only have to buy it once for both.

I can't get excited about an Intellivision emu, so this is no big loss. If it hints that a VC will be announced, that's good.

Agreed that NES/SNES, etc titles should be playable on both Wii and DS with only one purchase, but I don't see why that should be limited to console games - you ought to be able to do the same with portable games too. Why not play portable games on the Wii? It's like the Gameboy Player. I'd be all for that. Better yet, you ought to be able to sync game save data between Wii and DSi. Of course, none of this is going to happen. Nintendo would rather you bought the games twice (or, even better, 3 or 4 times.)

EDIT: Oh, and you ought to be able to use your DSi (or DS for that matter) as a wireless controller when playing the games on the Wii. Oh, to dream....

Hummmmm.

While I really doubt it, there's no reason the DSi couldn't function as a wireless portable VC. Nintendo's got some video service coming out in Japan that does exactly this - you can stream it to the DSi I think. Seems like it would make sense to allow you to take VC titles along with you, assuming they can all run. I'd have my doubts about the N64 games, since you'd have to run an emulator on top of the game, but perhaps the DSi is powerful enough. Please remember that an emulating console must be many times more powerful than the console it is emulating.

The DS can already be used as a wireless controller, but I think only the Wii Pokemon game utilized that function. Unless that Final Fantasy title that just came out works that way (I never bothered to figure it out).

So both of those functions are possible. My gut tells me Nintendo won't do them, but you never really know.

Do you have to be tethered near a PS3 to do that, or could you take it on the road?

I'd like to see the latter with VC games on the DSi. That would be a great way to play some of the RPGs and so on.

Remote play had 3 steps of evolution:

1. You had to be near the PS3. (local area network)
2. Then, you could do it from any internet connection, but PS3 had to be on and in "remote play mode".
3. Finally, you could turn on and off the PS3 from any internet hotspot with the PSP and play.

I didn't really use it for games, but I did use it a few times to turn on my PSP from say, a friend's house, and then use the PS3 to stream video/music from the computer to the PS3, to the PSP. An orgy of streaming.
I don't use it anymore as now I can do that more easily with my phone.

As someone who never played Brain Age, Im loving the Math version a lot, and the Theme (DSi special aspect) is pretty fun to use. I use it every day and after I unlock everything (30 stamps - have 11 and get virus buster tomorrow) Ill probably buy the real version of Brain Age (likely 2). I will get the Literature version too whenever it comes out. I also got Birds and Beans and I think it is OK. Worth the 200 points but there will be a point when I stop doing 5 minute bursts every couple days.

It's weird for me. I hated Brain Age but really like the express version. I've only missed a few days. The DSi specific features are nice.
I still won't buy the game, but i'm up for more Express versions.

I'm really hoping nintendo will surprise me and release a new artstyle game or memopad on monday. *crosses fingers*

I keep watching videos on youtube about memopad, and it just looks great.

And for the DSi side of things:

May 11, 2009

Nintendo DSiWare™ takes its first trip into the sports category this week with the cool, camera-enabled Real Soccer 2009.
Nintendo DSiWare

Real Soccer 2009 (Gameloft, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Nintendo DSi Points™): It’s time to live the soccer season to the max with Real Soccer 2009 on Nintendo DSi™. It will offer you a never-before-seen soccer experience with revolutionary yet easily accessible touch-screen controls. Take a photo of anything with the Nintendo DSi Camera and turn the image into your own custom ball or team flag, or even make yourself into your favorite player. With 198 teams using real player names, realistic opponent behaviors thanks to advanced artificial intelligence, and superior 3-D graphics, you’ll feel just like a professional soccer player. Go ahead, take your best shot!

I'm curious about this one. Will have to check it out.

Yep, it's a "mobile" game, but Real Soccer 2009 has been well reviewed and received on the iPhone/iPod Touch. There it is $6, but 800 points is pretty close. It might even be better on the DSi. Hmm.... The problem with it, for me, is that I generally don't get much into sports games. But I would like to support the idea of "real" games on DSiWare, so I might give it a shot if the reviews come out positive for the DSiWare version.

I'd say definitely better on DSi, as you don't have to use buttons painted on your screen, or buttons meant for dialing a phone.

I've heard good things from impressions on gaf.
This game is actually on a DS cart in Europe I believe for multiple years so the devs aren't new to the DS hardware.

It was already reviewed at nintendolife.com and rather positively:

http://dsiware.nintendolife.com/reviews/2009/04/real_football_2009_dsiware

"The download version lacks some of the leagues and teams you’d find in the boxed version". Otherwise it is apparently pretty much identical, but also adds some DSi-specific gimmicks - you can take pictures and put them on your player's heads, for example (although then their picture always faces you, regardless of player direction).

[quote name='josef']The game is actually on a DS cart in America too ;)

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Prod...oduct_id=72472

So, is the download version the exact same game as the retail version?[/QUOTE]

EDIT: Thanks for the review above.

Ah, didn't know that!

Here's some impressions when it was releaed in EU.
I'm trying to find the post where some guy compared it to the cart, for the most part though, I think it had pretty much the same features save the DSi only stuff. (camera)

I have no comparison to the 2008 retail version of the game so keep that in mind. And I only played a few friendlies for now to test some controls and difficulty settings. If anyone is interested in more just tell me and I will write more as I am very likely to play more of this in the next days.
198 counted teams, most of them national teams but also the first league teams of England, Italy, France, Spain and Germany. Without any licenses of course and as it seems no Editor to edit names of Players and teams
Games can last from 5 minutes to 20 minutes depending on setting. The different stadiums actually look different but only recognizable in the intro of a game.
The weather can be sunny, rainy and snowy. and you can decide between day and night which doesnt make any real differences.
If you want to you can chose between different goal rulesets: Golden, Silver Goal, Normal Game and no extra game time after 90 minutes.
The difficulty settings are very diverse. On easy you should be able to score a few goals and try out tricks and tactics. On normal the A.I. is by no means a cupcake (but its manageable) and I lost the first game I played 0:2 . And on hard you will definitely need some training to not get your ass whipped. So very good difficulty differences.
The control setup for the normal play:
A - Long Pass/Slide
B - Pass/ Tackle
Y - Shoot
X - Through Pass/ GK Rush Out
L - Specials/Change Player
R - Accelerate
L + A - Lob
R with ball - sudden stop
L + B - One-Two Pass
Moving + Lx2 - Step Over
Rx2 - Flip Flap
Lx2 - Marseille Roulette
Y then B - Fake Shot
A then B - Fake Long Pass
Modes ("trophies" for succesfully completing cups and leagues):
Friendly
Cup
League
Penalty Kicks
Training
The training is pretty basic but is good at giving you the techniques to play properly. At least the normal button-ish way. I tried my hands on the touch screen control and think of it as interesting but... lets say... kind of counter-intuitive when compared to play it normal. The controls with the touch screen are way less intuitive than Pes-Wii controls because you still hold the DS with your left hand and have to walk with your left thumb. Oh and no lefty hand control mode. I am definitely going to try more with the touch screen controls, maybe I can tell you more later.
I kind of get the overall feeling of a Pro Evolution Soccer DS. The button layout is the same and there are pretty deep character stats for each player which may or may not be as impactful as the ones in the console soccer games.
Oh and the new feature... Make a photo of you and play as yourself. First problem you can have only one photo of you in the whole game on a player. And second it is kind of animated so that on a player the "head" bounces from left to right and left and right and left. I saw it in a zoomed in goal scene and decided to delete the photo right away because it ticked me off.
The graphics are the only real bad offender in this game. It is pretty pixelated and looks overall highly generic. Especially the players. On the other hand though this probably is one reason for a solid framerate so its a pretty good payoff and I am satisfied with that for the moment.
In the end:
The games "new" features are nothing worth speaking of but the core gameplay is very solid. The framerate rarely drops, it i very playable and seems to have pretty much every move a soccer game needs (plus a few more) and for a PES Lite Portable I can definitely say that the 8 Euro were worth it.

[quote name='Nohbdy']Yeah, but that's just one.

Look what I found: http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ds/realsoccer2009?q=real football

The full version the game takes after. Not so hot.[/QUOTE]

The quotes metacritic pulled from the reviews makes it seem like the game is fun and enjoyable. The rating may be average, but at least you're only paying 800 points for it.

Here's a review for the DSi version: http://dsiware.nintendolife.com/reviews/2009/04/real_football_2009_dsiware

I like soccer, but not in video game from, so I think I will pass on this one.

bread's done
Back