3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

Celsius

CAGiversary!
Pre-order at the lower price at Amazon
iconwalmart_r3.gif
Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

Quick Details:

Connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the below free games:

NES Virtual Console games:
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Gameboy Advance Virtual Console games (exclusive to this program)
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
+ 3 more

US Press Release
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world’s most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

“For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.”

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who’s Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season. In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video™ service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.

The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color “Virtual Console” games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo’s most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Japan details
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110728_3e.pdf

For Japan, if you buy before august 12, 2011 -- the day of the price drop you get 10 free VC NES games and 10 free VC GB advance games. the VC gba games will only be made available for early adopters -- and never for those who buy on the price drop date.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Soaper']Let me know when the 3ds can play ds games without distorting the screen.[/QUOTE]

?

I've been playing 9 Doors (etc) and it looks and plays just fine... no problem at all.

That being said, if you want to play in 1:1 Pixel mode, you just hold start and select at the same time as you start a DS game. The picture will be smaller, but it won't be distorted (not that I've had an issue with that).

[quote name='GAMESHARQ']Because the price drop has been announced ahead of time. They know a lot of people will try to take advantage of it and they will lose so much money if they allow it.[/QUOTE]

You mean they will lose the money they make from a $170 purchase? Are you seriously saying that? They're not LOSING money they're actually GAINING money from sales. They're just not making a instant higher profit margin but an overall since it's a system that IS going price drop. So explain again why they won't price match since they would even get backlash from their customers as well since they're right now trying to promote their gaming section.

[quote name='dabamus']Can't do a receipt swap since they scan the serial number of the unit onto the receipt.[/QUOTE]

Damn, well played. Quite the dilemma here.

Karyadi is right, by the way. They just won't get as many suckers buying it for $250 before the price drop, but you would think that the influx of people (like myself) who want to double-dip would make up for that.

[quote name='JG5253']Hes not screwed because he could still return and re-buy[/QUOTE]

nope he can't. Must be opened to get the games. Can only exchange for the same product once opened

[quote name='InvaderZim']Games are coming out this fall...[/QUOTE]

Which means people still have no incentive to buy it until the fall.

[quote name='karyadi']You mean they will lose the money they make from a $170 purchase? Are you seriously saying that? They're not LOSING money they're actually GAINING money from sales. They're just not making a instant higher profit margin but an overall since it's a system that IS going price drop. So explain again why they won't price match since they would even get backlash from their customers as well since they're right now trying to promote their gaming section.[/QUOTE]

Let's see...they sell the system for $250, then they have to give back $80 after the price drop. Multiply that by all the people who take advantage of it and that's a significant loss.

As far as backlash goes, I'm sure they would rather put up with a few cranky customers than lose all that money. Even if a backlash were to occur, it wouldn't hurt Best Buy. They are the biggest electronics store in the nation. They're not going anywhere.

Seriously. Once i looked at my PSP and PC, and the many fine retro gaming options it allows. My few seconds of dilemma were gone. These are old games that i already own and can play better on other systems. I would rather have a better price drop or a better version of the 3DS

I was 99% sure you had to open it, but I wanted an actual owner to say it =P

So the real question is, can you do a return-rebuy if you open the 3DS? I actually don't know anything about price matching, other than I'm always shot down (other than at Walmart, once), even back in the Circuit City days.

But still moot if they change the SKU.

[quote name='GAMESHARQ']Because the price drop has been announced ahead of time. They know a lot of people will try to take advantage of it and they will lose so much money if they allow it.[/QUOTE]

Well, it is either they will price match OR they will have to take a even bigger loss for taking it as a return. You can return a open console at the best buy no problem... Also you got to know most people who shop at best buy is not the sharpe4st tools in the toolbox unless one know how to game the system.

[quote name='GAMESHARQ']Let's see...they sell the system for $250, then they have to give back $80 after the price drop. Multiply that by all the people who take advantage of it and that's a significant loss.

As far as backlash goes, I'm sure they would rather put up with a few cranky customers than lose all that money.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily, the free games cost them next to nothing. They don't "lose" all sales of those games to those people, because many of them would not have bought all of those games in the first place.

they can't deny the price match PERIOD

hmm...thought about buying now to be eligible for free games, but everything im interested in on that list i already have on other platforms. gonna wait and get it after the price drop. thanks for the heads up, op!

[quote name='GAMESHARQ']Let's see...they sell the system for $250, then they have to give back $80 after the price drop. Multiply that by all the people who take advantage of it and that's a significant loss.

As far as backlash goes, I'm sure they would rather put up with a few cranky customers than lose all that money.[/QUOTE]

They lose money from the uninformed, but any one of them could legitimately ask for a price-match in 2 weeks. Actually, anyone who has bought it since July 12th could ask for one legitimately. That's the price you pay when you have such a policy, if you can't deal with it, then stop having it.

[quote name='elessar123']I was 99% sure you had to open it, but I wanted an actual owner to say it =P

So the real question is, can you do a return-rebuy if you open the 3DS? I actually don't know anything about price matching, other than I'm always shot down (other than at Walmart, once), even back in the Circuit City days.

But still moot if they change the SKU.[/QUOTE]

EDIT: Misread your question

[quote name='ssjmichael']they can't deny the price match PERIOD[/QUOTE]

It's their policy. They can always make exceptions in instances like this one. If people don't like it, that's tough noogies for them.

[quote name='Xellos2099']Well, it is either they will price match OR they will have to take a even bigger loss for taking it as a return. You can return a open console at the best buy no problem[/QUOTE]

DUDES. You CANT return it. Its opened. All they have to say is, no to the price match, and thats it. End game

You can't break policy like that, it's false advertising and illegal. The only legitimate way to turn it down would be by changing the SKU which is entirely possible, and worrisome. I don't know if they'd be THAT evil, but ugh.

As far as backlash goes, I'm sure they would rather put up with a few cranky customers than lose all that money. Even if a backlash were to occur, it wouldn't hurt Best Buy. They are the biggest electronics store in the nation. They're not going anywhere.[/QUOTE]

They would end up with the same amount if they price matched the $80 on the 12th as they would if they sold it at the new MSRP on the 12th. Assuming Nintendo takes the same amount for both, and not a percentage.

[quote name='GAMESHARQ']It's their policy. They can always make exceptions in instances like this one. If people don't like it, that's tough noogies for them.[/QUOTE]

you really have no clue how retail works dude, just stop its embarrassing

[quote name='BobbyTastic']You can't break policy like that, it's false advertising and illegal. The only legitimate way to turn it down would be by changing the SKU which is entirely possible, and worrisome. I don't know if they'd be THAT evil, but ugh.[/QUOTE]

exactly, they can't and wont change their own policy

[quote name='BobbyTastic']You can't break policy like that, it's false advertising and illegal. The only legitimate way to turn it down would be by changing the SKU which is entirely possible.[/QUOTE]

For the SAME product though? That makes no sense and Nintendo would have to announce an all-new SKU. Someone needs to go and up and email this hurr Nintendo.

Imagine Best Buy changes their policy, the chaos that ensues and all the customers lost. Dammit survival horror games what are you doing to me?

[quote name='GAMESHARQ']I have a feeling that Best Buy is not going to do a price match on this one. I really don't think Best Buy is stupid enough to set themselves up to take a loss like this since the price drop was announced ahead of time.

I will laugh my ass off if all of you get stuck with a $250 3DS.[/QUOTE]
In that case you can buy it from Target. They have a 7 day price adjustment policy. The only gotcha is if they don't drop the price immediately on 8/12 or within 7 days of your purchase, then you're screwed too.

I believe historically Target has been on top of console/handheld price drops accurately. The same can't be spoken for games though (for example, new announced Greatest Hits titles didn't get the drop until some weeks later).

[quote name='leshrac55']?

I've been playing 9 Doors (etc) and it looks and plays just fine... no problem at all.[/QUOTE]

When the 3DS first came out, there was an issue with DS games looking faded on 3DS. They fixed this issue in the first major system update.

[quote name='elessar123']I was 99% sure you had to open it, but I wanted an actual owner to say it =P

So the real question is, can you do a return-rebuy if you open the 3DS?.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much a price match. If they shoot you down for the price match, they more than likely won't let you do a return/rebuy.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']They lose money from the uninformed, but any one of them could legitimately ask for a price-match in 2 weeks. Actually, anyone who has bought it since July 12th could ask for one legitimately. That's the price you pay when you have such a policy, if you can't deal with it, then stop having it.[/QUOTE]

nobody is giving back money to 3ds early adopters. period.

Special Offer Returns
To receive a full refund, you must also return the free gift. If you don't do this, the refund amount will be reduced to reflect the value of the free gift.

Your rolling the dice if you price match. Bestbuy has everyright to deny it, because you are getting a free gift with purchase. I know you can argue "its not theirs", but they are aware of it, can inform employees, and thats it. What are you going to do? You can no longer return the system, it has been opened. You could only exchange the system for a new one, without the 20 free games, at the same cost of $250

They will price match. I bought a PS3 fat a few weeks (within the 30 days) before they announced the $100 price cut and they gave it to me no problem.

On top of the price cut, the receipt allowed me to get 5 free blu-rays as the new receipt date was under the promotion date to get them.

[quote name='utopianmachine']When the 3DS first came out, there was an issue with DS games looking faded on 3DS. They fixed this issue in the first major system update.[/QUOTE]

Wait, the blur filter was removed?

Okay, you guys believe what you want. You're just mad because you know there's a good chance your little scam won't work and you will be stuck paying $250 for a 3DS.

[quote name='JokerCard']They will price match. I bought a PS3 fat a few weeks (within the 30 days) before they announced the $100 price cut and they gave it to me no problem.[/QUOTE]

No free gift

[quote name='Xenogears']Special Offer Returns
To receive a full refund, you must also return the free gift. If you don't do this, the refund amount will be reduced to reflect the value of the free gift.

Your rolling the dice if you price match. Bestbuy has everyright to deny it, because you are getting a free gift with purchase. I know you can argue "its not theirs", but they are aware of it, can inform employees, and thats it. What are you going to do? You can no longer return the system, it has been opened. You could only exchange the system for a new one, without the 20 free games, at the same cost of $250[/QUOTE]

So you're saying if I download a browser for free on a laptop and the price drops, I have to return that too? :applause:

Your rolling the dice if you price match. Bestbuy has everyright to deny it, because you are getting a free gift with purchase. I know you can argue "its not theirs", but they are aware of it, can inform employees, and thats it. What are you going to do? You can no longer return the system, it has been opened. You could only exchange the system for a new one, without the 20 free games, at the same cost of $250[/QUOTE]

where is best buy offering 20 games? this is through your nintendo account and the eShop. if it were through best buy i could understand, but it's not.

[quote name='JokerCard']They will price match. I bought a PS3 fat a few weeks (within the 30 days) before they announced the $100 price cut and they gave it to me no problem.

On top of the price cut, the receipt allowed me to get 5 free blu-rays as the new receipt date was under the promotion date to get them.[/QUOTE]

The key word there is "before".

That would be the case if you actually received the 20 free games with purchase, which you don't. They're not pre-loaded, you do actually have to go through some hoops and Best Buy isn't promoting it either. That'd be like me not being able to return a DS I bought because I got an event Pokemon on it.

[quote name='karyadi']So you're saying if I download a browser for free on a laptop and the price drops, I have to return that too? :applause:[/QUOTE]
:booty:

[quote name='Xenogears']nope he can't. Must be opened to get the games. Can only exchange for the same product once opened[/QUOTE]

Not true. You can return pretty much anything that with the receipt even if you open it. The only things you can't return when opened are CDs, games, software, prepaid cards etc. Trust me I know cause I work at Best Buy and have seen many opened PS3s, 360s and Nintendo that were opened and returned. On the back of any Best Buy receipt which products can only be exchanged and Consoles aren't one of them

[quote name='reddjoey']I'm going to roll the dice and go for it now. I will however wait a few days and see if Buy 3DS get a gift card deals pop up.[/QUOTE]

Probably the best idea. I doubt any retailers will offer anything, and the GC will ultimately be factored into the price match, but it's better than getting screwed outright.

Also, I've heard of people returning opened consoles to Target. BB doing it, wouldn't be a major jump in logic. As long as everything's still there, of course.

If retailers want to be evil, they'll change the SKU and/or refuse complete console returns.

[quote name='karyadi']So you're saying if I download a browser for free on a laptop and the price drops, I have to return that too? :applause:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think the gift would have to be something they're actually selling, since it's through Nintendo itself, they're really not giving anything away. My guess is that Best Buy is going to give a free game with the 3ds until the price drop.

Sweet! I spent $200 for this thing on a warehouse deal and I get 20 games?

Still would have liked $30 off, but hey. Awesome.

[quote name='eau']In that case you can buy it from Target. They have a 7 day price adjustment policy. The only gotcha is if they don't drop the price immediately on 8/12 or within 7 days of your purchase, then you're screwed too.[/QUOTE]

But Target will certainly advertise the price drop in their Sunday circular, which we always get leaks of in advance. So we'll know for sure before hand.

Also, I'm pretty sure Target's price adjustment policy is 14 days, not 7.

at the "free gift" is through Nintendo and has nothing to do with BB. BB is not responsible for the Free gift so they lose that claim.

Did they make any games for the system? Or is it still just remakes of games when Nintendo was actually innovative?

$99 I may be tempted because I'm sure we'll get more remakes of Nintendo games that we want to play, but seriously Nintendo starting make fun games again that are actually NEW.

bread's done
Back