3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

Celsius

CAGiversary!
Pre-order at the lower price at Amazon
iconwalmart_r3.gif
Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

Quick Details:

Connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the below free games:

NES Virtual Console games:
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Gameboy Advance Virtual Console games (exclusive to this program)
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
+ 3 more

US Press Release
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world’s most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

“For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.”

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who’s Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season. In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video™ service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.

The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color “Virtual Console” games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo’s most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Japan details
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110728_3e.pdf

For Japan, if you buy before august 12, 2011 -- the day of the price drop you get 10 free VC NES games and 10 free VC GB advance games. the VC gba games will only be made available for early adopters -- and never for those who buy on the price drop date.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
so i guess this means i need to find a 3DS for $170 or less and then i must download these games to say i beat you Nintendo. SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN.

[quote name='GAMESHARQ']This topic is seriously going nowhere fast.

People who paid the original price are upset, and rightfully so.

People who haven't bought one yet will abuse Best Buy's price match policy, we get that you guys like to take advantage of the system.

Half of the posts are getting removed.

The announcement has been made, so just lock this topic and end it already.[/QUOTE]

U mad bro?

[quote name='DudeImGodly']so i guess this means i need to find a 3DS for $170 or less and then i must download these games to say i beat you Nintendo. SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's about beating Nintendo. I legitimately want these games, but not enough to justify a $250 price tag. With a $170 price tag though, these carry a lot more weight, imo.

[quote name='lordopus99']I think someone earlier stated $5/title.[/QUOTE]
So, Nintendo offers ~$100 worth of free VC games to compensate for the $80 price drop. Kudo to Nintendo.

Now, if people manage to double dip and get the free VC games AND the lower price. More Power to them.

Tons of CAGs bought games in advance of announced sale in order to secure a copy at a local store, and we didn't have a problem with them. Why not on a 3DS?

Been thinking about buying a 3DS via Amazon Warehouse, now I got a reason to wait and get a few 3DS games now. Very shocked that it's dropping to $170 and not $200. Expect price cuts on the DSi models shortly.

I've been thinking about getting one, still not sure, but definitely leaning more towards getting one. Zelda in 3D sounds pretty cool to me

[quote name='Envel']Is everyone planning on using the price match policy at Best Buy? Anyone doing Walmart?[/QUOTE]

I contacted my local Walmart and they stated a 7-day pricematching policy. So no, I won't be going there myself. Sams Club is obviously the same 7 days...

I normally don't like people double dipping this sort of thing but in this case I don't see it as a big deal.

First they are not physical games, they are DLC. I am sure nintendo took into account the people who just recently bought a 3ds and have a legitimate price match. Nintendo doesn't stand to loose massive amounts of money because of the free DLC being downloaded. They I am sure instead look at it as getting people into the e-store and downloading games so they will come back to buy more.

I am sure the thought of just packing the 20 DLC game vouchers into all the future 3ds was thought about. It would sort of take the zing of getting free stuff away from the early adopters though. If tons of people are suddenly running out to buy these consoles just because of the 20 classic downloadable games I am sure nintendo is perfectly ok with that.

If nintendo was handing out 20 actual games and people were double dipping I would see an issue.

Does Best Buy still run their 30 day, difference plus 10% of the difference back same-store pricematch? I couldn't find the details anywhere on their website.

[quote name='GAMESHARQ']It's their policy. They can always make exceptions in instances like this one. If people don't like it, that's tough noogies for them.[/QUOTE]
Lol, you're an idiot.

[quote name='Multicron']Does Best Buy still run their 30 day, difference plus 10% of the difference back same-store pricematch? I couldn't find the details anywhere on their website.[/QUOTE]

I can't ever remember that being in BB policy. I remember it being in CC policy, even though they denied the extra 10% the one time I did a PM there.

I bought for $250 at launch and I'm glad there is a drastic price drop. I'm out $250 no matter what anyway. What do I care if others get a better dealio.

Sure if I had known 4 months later the price would be $80 cheaper I probably would have waited. But I don't have a crystal ball and such a drastic price drop hasn't been a pattern. And I got 4 months of use of the thing.

Face Raiders was a hilarious and original gaming fun for a few days around here. I was having that fun while the haters were hating.

And a price drop just means more sales which in turn hopefully means more development and more games and more great games sooner in the future. So hallelujah!

And when my kid throws it in the toilet I'll be glad to know they are only $170 now.

And thank you Nintendo for throwing us a bone. It's 20 more games than I had yesterday and my wallet hasn't shrunk.

I think a giant price drop has been inevitable. $250 was way too much money for a Nintendo handheld. Actually, I think it's way too much for the Vita too. It's going to see a big price drop not too long after its release as well. After cashing in on early adopters, and once the sales tank, as they will, they'll have a big price drop. You heard it here first. :)

I got a 3DS from Target last month on Father's day. I'm just wondering if Target would consider a price match instead of me returning the item and buy a new one when the price goes down to $169. Target has a 90-day return policy and $80 is just too big of a difference - even if they apply a 15% restocking fee. Anyone here have any experience with Target where they were flexible enough to bend the 7-day price match policy instead of getting the item returned?

[quote name='crunchewy']I think a giant price drop has been inevitable. $250 was way too much money for a Nintendo handheld. Actually, I think it's way too much for the Vita too. It's going to see a big price drop not too long after its release as well. After cashing in on early adopters, and once the sales tank, as they will, they'll have a big price drop. You heard it here first. :)[/QUOTE]

$250 isn't too much for the Vita IMO. I think it's the perfect price point.

[quote name='Darknuke']Lol what difference does it make to you? Don't read the posts if you are gonna whine about people discussing their opinions of a deal. This is HUGE news and rightfully deserves a lot of feedback. It should stay at the top of the video games deals section for at least a week and it probably will.

So quit your bitching and go to another thread. God I hate trolls...[/QUOTE]

Oh, the irony!

[quote name='Trakan']Remember to keep it civil and on-topic please.[/QUOTE]

I'll say it again.

Stop with the insults and arguing. Keep it civil. Stop mentioning the PS Vita. This isn't a Vita vs. 3DS thread. Keep it on-topic.

Gamesharq, you've made your point and everyone gets it. No need to post here any more if you're going to continue to derail the thread.

[quote name='Scraggletag']I got a 3DS from Target last month on Father's day. I'm just wondering if Target would consider a price match instead of me returning the item and buy a new one when the price goes down to $169. Target has a 90-day return policy and $80 is just too big of a difference - even if they apply a 15% restocking fee. Anyone here have any experience with Target where they were flexible enough to bend the 7-day price match policy instead of getting the item returned?[/QUOTE]

I called two of my local Targets this morning and they claim a 14-day price guarantee so... you'd probably have to return it and then maybe re-buy it to start the date over again. Just my 2 cents.

[quote name='Trakan']I'll say it again.

Stop with the insults and arguing. Keep it civil. Stop mentioning the PS Vita. This isn't a Vita vs. 3DS thread. Keep it on-topic.

Gamesharq, you've made your point and everyone gets it. No need to post here any more if you're going to continue to derail the thread.[/QUOTE]

fu/ck you f/ag

Wow, the people in this thread are idiots. Despite owning one, I was highly critical of the lack of games the 3DS had. But I don’t see how this announcement would piss anyone off. Hell, this should make you very happy to own a 3DS as an early adopter. More people owning one = larger base = more and better games.

[quote name='GAMESHARQ']fu/ck you f/ag[/QUOTE]

Well it was nice knowing you, LOL. Not a smart way to respond to a moderator. I'm sure that will be one of you last posts here. *Grabs popcorn*

[quote name='Jodou']I'm really going to miss this thread when things die down. Hours of entertainment and counting.[/QUOTE]

Who needs a 3DS when you have the CAG forums? :booty:

[quote name='trip1eX']I bought for $250 at launch and I'm glad there is a drastic price drop. I'm out $250 no matter what anyway. What do I care if others get a better dealio.

Sure if I had known 4 months later the price would be $80 cheaper I probably would have waited. But I don't have a crystal ball and such a drastic price drop hasn't been a pattern. And I got 4 months of use of the thing.

Face Raiders was a hilarious and original gaming fun for a few days around here. I was having that fun while the haters were hating.

And a price drop just means more sales which in turn hopefully means more development and more games and more great games sooner in the future. So hallelujah!

And when my kid throws it in the toilet I'll be glad to know they are only $170 now.

And thank you Nintendo for throwing us a bone. It's 20 more games than I had yesterday and my wallet hasn't shrunk.[/QUOTE]

No complaints here either. Price drops happen. Nintendo is actually giving something to early adopters and there are still complaints.

[quote name='GAMESHARQ']I couldn't give a rats ass. It wouldn't be the first site I've been banned from and I can still lurk for deals anyway.[/QUOTE]

LOL, keep it real dude. You probably already have an alternate account or you will soon. You just don't wanna admit it publicly. :cool:

I think Best Buy is the best option if you're going with the price match route. 30 days of price matching? Can't beat that.. unless you can..? In that case, direct me to that store immediately! I might pick one up if they announce a Pokemon game, I'm a sucker for those.

What's the matter trashkan? Why haven't you banned me yet? What's wrong? Are you just a lowly moderator with no real power?

[quote name='trip1eX']I bought for $250 at launch and I'm glad there is a drastic price drop. I'm out $250 no matter what anyway. What do I care if others get a better dealio.

And thank you Nintendo for throwing us a bone. It's 20 more games than I had yesterday and my wallet hasn't shrunk.[/QUOTE]

Likewise, I've extracted enough gameplay and enjoyment out of my 3DS that the price slash doesn't even trouble me. If anything, I'm somewhat glad that Nintendo made this decision since all my friends who wanted a 3DS are more likely to pick one up.

On the subject of whether or not this is a good thing for Nintendo, they'll more than likely treat the price drop as a console relaunch. But doing what they've been doing over the past couple months isn't going to hold up if they want to succeed. They'll have to step up the marketing campaign and entice developers to get more games out on the platform before [that other system] releases.

I like the 3ds for what it is but the waiting is killing me, Im excited for the crap load of first party titles announced at the last E3 but they should have released it after those were out or at least a majority of them ( mario should be a given with all nintendo lauches).

[quote name='GAMESHARQ']What's the matter trashkan? Why haven't you banned me yet? What's wrong? Are you just a lowly moderator with no real power?[/QUOTE]Enjoy your time off.

Getting banned or even a time out at CAG means your a true asshole. I mean seriously this site tends to be extreamly liberal with what you can get away with. You can be pretty damn insulting and have some foul ass language before getting in trouble. To somehow fuck that up....it says a lot about a person(takes a special kind of asshole).

Why is this a temp ban...dude should be GONE!

Can you ban an IP adress...doubt it but it would be nice...afraid he will just be back with a new name. :(

[quote name='cancerman1120']Why is this a temp ban...dude should be GONE!

Can you ban an IP adress...doubt it but it would be nice...afraid he will just be back with a new name. :([/QUOTE]

Like a rose, an a-hole that goes by another name is still an a-hole. Permaban is the light at the end of his tunnel.

something worries me

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

ANYONE NOTICED It said the NES games will be by the end of 2011

NO where does does it say HOW or when you would get the 10 GBA games maybe they show up day one but i doubt it ... who knows when or IF these cames are coming. it might not be till 2013 before the games show up for downloadss

and ha ha told you the 3ds will fail

i got a dsi xl under warrenty until July 14 2012 it has a button problem i could take it back today and get a 3ds out of it.

Tempted but i think i pass since the 3ds be 99 by next summer

bread's done
Back