3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

Celsius

CAGiversary!
Pre-order at the lower price at Amazon
iconwalmart_r3.gif
Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

Quick Details:

Connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the below free games:

NES Virtual Console games:
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Gameboy Advance Virtual Console games (exclusive to this program)
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
+ 3 more

US Press Release
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world’s most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

“For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.”

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who’s Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season. In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video™ service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.

The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color “Virtual Console” games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo’s most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Japan details
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110728_3e.pdf

For Japan, if you buy before august 12, 2011 -- the day of the price drop you get 10 free VC NES games and 10 free VC GB advance games. the VC gba games will only be made available for early adopters -- and never for those who buy on the price drop date.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, huge price drop. At 1st, I was kind of annoyed that it dropped $80 in price only months after release, but seeing that I'm getting 10 free NES games AND 10 free GBA games, which'll be exclusive to us early buyers, I kindly accept their free gifts.

I wonder when they'll announce the rest of the free games.

[quote name='docvinh']I don't understand what you mean here, while I didn't buy mine at launch, I've enjoyed my 3ds to the point that it was worth it at the 250 price tag. I've gotten more value out of this system then I have out of any portable system in a long time, and I generally hate Nintendo products.[/QUOTE]

What games have you played for it?

[quote name='giantqtipz']this reminds me of the 3 games you get when you purchase a new PSP Go.[/QUOTE]

At least those were current gen games

[quote name='Serpentor']I normally don't take sides, but your comment is very well expressed. $80 on CAG can be translated into many enjoyable games.[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely right, it can also be translated into a Vita which will be a better handheld, which was my point. Its amazing the lack of literacy among certain CAGs. I also find it funny that so many CAGs assume that people on this site don't have money. Personally I could buy any game or console I want at MSRP, but why do that? I'm always out for a deal.

$80 is not a lot of a price drop when you consider that with a little patience you could have a vita with its amazing launch titles and features for the same $250 that the 3DS launched at. That is if you're in a position where you have to pick between the two. I may very well get both, so in that instance, yeah $80 is a great deal.

[quote name='Suade']Sounds to good to be true. If it is true, then what about DS and Wii price drops, too?[/QUOTE]

What does the Wii have to do with this? A DS price drop would make sense though

[quote name='ssjmichael']What games have you played for it?[/QUOTE]

Dead or Alive, Pilotwings, Ocarina of Time, Ridge Racer, BlazBlue, Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Land. I've enjoyed all the games except for Blazblue.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']^Super PSPgo 2000 or PSP NGP Vita! I still like Super PSPgo 2000!

Yeah, I might wait for a redesign on the 3DS. Hoping for a 3DS XL or 3DS Lite, both with a better battery life.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I'll hold out for the super duper 3DS XL Lite too. You know it's inevitable.

Color me surprised by all the people who have made posts like "the 20 free games don't make me feel bad about paying $250 at all". I know early adopters always get the shaft and are rarely given anything because of it, so it's a nice gesture by Nintendo, but I don't see how some people are acting like it's so great.

Also, to the people who believe that Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public bullshit, are you guys for real? You have to know that they will be released eventually. Companies like money and reselling something that is has already been created and is digitally distributed is about as close to printing money as they can get.

Anyway, I think I might end up picking up a 3DS this holiday season if there are at least 4 or 5 games that I want. This price point makes the system seem a lot more attractive.

Do you need a club nintendo account? Mine doesn't link up with the club nintendo one online for somereason. Also what happens if you get a new 3ds or send it in for warranty fix do you lose the games. AYE CARUMBA

[quote name='docvinh']Dead or Alive, Pilotwings, Ocarina of Time, Ridge Racer, BlazBlue, Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Land. I've enjoyed all the games except for Blazblue.[/QUOTE]

The VAST majority of those games exist on other consoles and you say you didn't even enjoy Blazblue! So how can you say that you've gotten the full value out of your $250 console when you could have played all those games for much cheaper? I'm not trying to be a jerk, and we can agree to disagree, but to me this kind of post is just people trying to justify buying something that isn't worth it (yet).

[quote name='blindinglights']Color me surprised by all the people who have made posts like "the 20 free games don't make me feel bad about paying $250 at all". I know early adopters always get the shaft and are rarely given anything because of it, so it's a nice gesture by Nintendo, but I don't see how some people are acting like it's so great.
.[/QUOTE]

easy.

20 free games > ZERO free games.

as for me, I don't care if the GBA games are released or not. I know 100% I will get them and I won't pay for them.

[quote name='Envel']Is anyone who buys it before the August 12th price drop considered an early adopter?[/QUOTE]

it seems like it.. early adopters as in people who purchase before the price drop

Call me a skeptic but i don't believe for a second that those 10 GBA will remain exclusive for early adopters. I find it hard to believe they're gonna go through the trouble of porting ROMs of 10 of their best selling GBA just to only give them away for free.

My biggest problem with the 3DS wasn't the price and I could have waited for more games. My problem was the shoddy hardware. Top screen rub and wobbly hinges on all 3 systems I had. Replaced it twice through warranty support and all of them were the same story.

That's the main reason I traded it in at Gamestop. It was clear to me the system is shoddily constructed and all the replacements weren't gonna be resolved.

Price drop? Meh, fix the hardware problems first.

[quote name='blindinglights']Color me surprised by all the people who have made posts like "the 20 free games don't make me feel bad about paying $250 at all". I know early adopters always get the shaft and are rarely given anything because of it, so it's a nice gesture by Nintendo, but I don't see how some people are acting like it's so great. [/QUOTE]

If people think it's great, why not let them think that? Who are you to rain on their parade? Perhaps you don't get it because you're a pessimst.

And to all those saying people are "just trying to justify their purchase," isn't that what any consumer does with any purchase? People find the value of making a purchase at that time for said amount of money, and they choose to either purchase it then or decide to wait for a lower price. Quit bashing people for finding the value in being an early adopter.

[quote name='Jurassic425']The VAST majority of those games exist on other consoles and you say you didn't even enjoy Blazblue! So how can you say that you've gotten the full value out of your $250 console when you could have played all those games for much cheaper? I'm not trying to be a jerk, and we can agree to disagree, but to me this kind of post is just people trying to justify buying something that isn't worth it (yet).[/QUOTE]

I've kind of drifted away from console gaming, so its value for me is that I can play it anywhere and in short spurts if I want. Really, the only game I can play on another portable console would be Ridge Racer.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mikocouch']3ds will still be crap without games.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. A 170 dollar system with no good games is just a expensive paperweight. Nintendo will just do what they have been doing, rolling out old games with a 3d effect tacked on and continue the same old franchises they have been jerking off for the past decade. No name devs will roll out shitty games not worth 5 bucks.

Still though 170 bucks isnt worth it for that damn tiny screen, Id rather keep my dsixl.

that's a hellava chop on the price.....it hasn't been out long at all.....not very interested in 3ds because the games are just remakes....nothing new or exciting at all....plus 3d as a whole is overrated....

Can't people buy the 3DS for $250 a week before August 12, connect it to the eShop for registering in the program and then get a price adjustment on August 12?

Places like BB and Target have price adjustment policy so that within a specified period you can get the lower price.

[quote name='Zonic505']WOW, huge price drop. At 1st, I was kind of annoyed that it dropped $80 in price only months after release, but seeing that I'm getting 10 free NES games AND 10 free GBA games, which'll be exclusive to us early buyers, I kindly accept their free gifts.

I wonder when they'll announce the rest of the free games.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. I'm hoping some of the games will be non-first party, but I kind of doubt it.

[quote name='blindinglights']Color me surprised by all the people who have made posts like "the 20 free games don't make me feel bad about paying $250 at all". I know early adopters always get the shaft and are rarely given anything because of it, so it's a nice gesture by Nintendo, but I don't see how some people are acting like it's so great. [/QUOTE]

People are happy because Nintendo doesn't have to do anything for the early adopters. When was the last time you got something good when something you bought dropped in price?

I think this is incredibly generous of Nintendo.

[quote name='JokerCard']So whats the price adjustment policy at Bestbuy?

I think i might head out there today and pick one up......[/QUOTE]

Been trying to find that myself, as well as walmart or best buy. All that ever comes up is price matching other stores. The only one that had a CLEAR price adjustment policy is Target. Which is a 7 day price adjustment policy.

From their web page:

http://www.target.com/Adjustment-Policy-Returns-Refunds-Help/b?ie=UTF8&node=2223356011

If Target advertises a lower price either the same week or the week following your purchase, bring in your original sales receipt to Guest Services for an adjustment.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Been trying to find that myself, as well as walmart or best buy. All that ever comes up is price matching other stores. The only one that had a CLEAR price adjustment policy is Target. Which is a 7 day price adjustment policy.

From their web page:

http://www.target.com/Adjustment-Policy-Returns-Refunds-Help/b?ie=UTF8&node=2223356011

If Target advertises a lower price either the same week or the week following your purchase, bring in your original sales receipt to Guest Services for an adjustment.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't that hard to find..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Help-To...ee/pcmcat204400050011.c?id=pcmcat204400050011
Best Buy Price Match Guarantee

Buy It Now With Confidence

Best Buy will match the price if you find a lower price on an identical available product at a local retail competitor?s store, a local Best Buy Retail Store or BestBuy.com. Simply let us know when you are making your purchase or during the return and exchange period. The Guarantee does not apply to: Our competitors? website prices, offers that include financing, bundling of items, free items, pricing errors, mail-in offers, competitors? service prices, items that are advertised as limited-quantity, out of stock, open-box, clearance, refurbished/used items, BestBuy.com Midnight Sale and special hour sale events, BestBuy.com Outlet Center and Marketplace items, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving.

Return and Exchange Period

You can return or exchange purchases within the timeframes below.

• 14 days for computers, monitors, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, iPad, tablets and radar detectors
  • 30 days for all other products
  • 45 days for all products for Reward Zone Premier Silver members*

Do you need a club nintendo account? My 3DS doesn't link up with the club nintendo one online for some reason. Also what happens if you get a new 3ds or send it in for warranty do you lose the games?

[quote name='The Keyboard Wizard']Honestly, Nintendo doesn't owe shit to early adopters. Just Saying...[/QUOTE]

Considering the lackluster lineup, I'd say they sure as hell do. Just saying...

[quote name='SteveGo']And to all those saying people are "just trying to justify their purchase," isn't that what any consumer does with any purchase? People find the value of making a purchase at that time for said amount of money, and they choose to either purchase it then or decide to wait for a lower price. Quit bashing people for finding the value in being an early adopter.[/QUOTE]

Didn't you post earlier that you bought two 3DSs at launch :lol:. It completely invalidates your point. Now you're being precisely one of those people trying to justify your purchase. You know what? After class and work I'm gonna go buy a 3DS, download my free games, and then price adjust it on the 12th. How do you fell about that? I think you are just mad because you spend $500 and you can't do the same. I might even buy two, for $338 before tax as opposed to your $500. You mad?

Stop whining and getting mad at the rest of us who were smart enough to wait and are now getting a better deal than you.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']My biggest problem with the 3DS wasn't the price and I could have waited for more games. My problem was the shoddy hardware. Top screen rub and wobbly hinges on all 3 systems I had. Replaced it twice through warranty support and all of them were the same story.

That's the main reason I traded it in at Gamestop. It was clear to me the system is shoddily constructed and all the replacements weren't gonna be resolved.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the hardware problems are as widespread as the internet lets on. I saw your posts around CAG about your issues, but it seemed there were few other people claiming, "Ditto."

[quote name='ssjmichael']Considering the lackluster lineup, I'd say they sure as hell do. Just saying...[/QUOTE]

Consumers knew very well what they were getting into before buying the 3DS, so you can not use a game lineup as an excuse. This superior since of entitlement among gamers is ridiculous.

While the 'free' games are something to consider, it is almost guaranteed that they will have some bundled themed system (a Zelda one seems like a natural choice) for the holidays along with the standard gift card promos (and/or complete fire sales on the DSi and DSiXL hardware stock), so unless you are dying for 3DS, I would wait....there will be more games and better deals by November. Last year, I got mario kart DSiXL for about $130 after giftcards and sale prices in early December, $50 off list price.

Here is a Tweet from one of my favorite Gamers in the Youtube community explaining exactly how I feel. "Man, some entitled brats this morning. Nobody owes you shit after a price drop. This is the plight of the early adopter. Deal with it." - TV and Lust

[quote name='Jurassic425']Didn't you post earlier that you bought two 3DSs at launch :lol:. It completely invalidates your point. Now you're being precisely one of those people trying to justify your purchase. You know what? After class and work I'm gonna go buy a 3DS, download my free games, and then price adjust it on the 12th. How do you fell about that? I think you are just mad because you spend $500 and you can't do the same. I might even buy two, for $338 before tax as opposed to your $500. You mad?

Stop whining and getting mad at the rest of us who were smart enough to wait and are now getting a better deal than you.[/QUOTE]

No whining here and certainly not mad, I knew what I was doing when I bought my two systems at launch. It has nothing to do with intelligence, I chose to buy the 3DS when I did, knowing the risk of a price drop later on. Merely saying there's nothing wrong with justifying one's purchase. You'll have to justify spending $338 wont you?

Good for you for waiting. I'm really proud of you. Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

Oh, and the free games aren't out yet. They'll be released before the end of 2011.

[quote name='The Keyboard Wizard']Consumers knew very well what they were getting into before buying the 3DS, so you can not use a game lineup as an excuse. This superior since of entitlement among gamers is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]
Actually I'm going to guess Susie Soccermom and John Q Public had absolutely no idea that there would be absolutely jack-squat for game selection for the :ds::ds::ds:.

Wow. That's a fantastic freebie for early adopters. Considering any other price drop at any other time has been a total shaft to the buyer at the higher price I'd say this is an unbelievable giveaway. Thanks OP and thanks Nintendo!!

[quote name='RedvsBlue']My biggest problem with the 3DS wasn't the price and I could have waited for more games. My problem was the shoddy hardware. Top screen rub and wobbly hinges on all 3 systems I had. Replaced it twice through warranty support and all of them were the same story.

That's the main reason I traded it in at Gamestop. It was clear to me the system is shoddily constructed and all the replacements weren't gonna be resolved.[/QUOTE]The wobbly screen is a common misconception... this is also why Amazon halted the sales of the 3DS for one day/afternoon. Nintendo specs have the screen being a little loose but as long as the screen locks into place it meets the requirements. Reason the screen is made this way is to reduce stress on the hinges to prevent cracks and problems. This is why Amazon started selling the product again without any changes.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Wow. That's a fantastic freebie for early adopters. Considering any other price drop at any other time has been a total shaft to the buyer at the higher price I'd say this is an unbelievable giveaway. Thanks OP and thanks Nintendo!![/QUOTE]

Most systems don't get a 32% price drop in less than 5 months. Thanks Nintendo!

After being on this site for a while I told myself not to buy anything day 1 unless it had a killer deal. I told myself that the gift cards I had amassed at Best Buy were reason enough to get in on the 3DS day 1. Now my most played game in the activity log is "Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia." It was nice of Nintendo to throw us a bone with the 20 free games but I'd rather have $80 worth of 3DS Points to pick and choose what I want. Oh well, I'm sure I'll be happy again once the next Mario Kart comes out. I'm done with buying stuff on Day 1! Serious this time!

[quote name='The Keyboard Wizard']Honestly, Nintendo doesn't owe shit to early adopters. Just Saying...[/QUOTE]

They absolutely do. Have you ever seen a console launch with such a pitiful lineup? That's a rhetorical question. You definitely haven't. The 3DS is trash atm, so doing this for the early adopters gives them MAJOR browny points back in my mind. I almost sold my 3DS to craigslist. Had the ad up and everything. Took it down immediately when I saw this ad.

Also, can we go to the eShop and get all the 3DS games now or do we have to wait? How do we even get them all?

This is CRAZY! At least Nintendo is reacting much more quickly and more humbly than Sony ever has with the PS3 launch. I'd probably be really pissed if I had bought at launch but seeing as there weren't any games I had to play and seeing as how that $250 price was enormously high, I knew I wouldn't be buying one until the system was on it's way out. Nintendo has always been pretty cheap with their price drops (I mean, come on, drop the DS lite down to $50 for shit's sake) so I'm surprised they reacted this quickly.

Also, DROP THE PRICES ON GAMES!

[quote name='Darknuke']They absolutely do. Have you ever seen a console launch with such a pitiful lineup? That's a rhetorical question. You definitely haven't. The 3DS is trash atm, so doing this for the early adopters gives them MAJOR browny points back in my mind. I almost sold my 3DS to craigslist. Had the ad up and everything. Took it down immediately when I saw this ad.

Also, can we go to the eShop and get all the 3DS games now or do we have to wait? How do we even get them all?[/QUOTE]

I personally thought the PSP launch was much worse. You just need to log into the Eshop at least once before August 12th and you'll get the games for free at some point.

[quote name='docvinh']I personally thought the PSP launch was much worse. You just need to log into the Eshop at least once before August 12th and you'll get the games for free at some point.[/QUOTE]

Metal Gear Acid, NFS Underground, Untold Legends, Ape Escape, and Twisted Metal were all great launch titles. 3DS got Ghost Recon and Super Monkey Ball

bread's done
Back