3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

Celsius

CAGiversary!
Pre-order at the lower price at Amazon
iconwalmart_r3.gif
Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

Quick Details:

Connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the below free games:

NES Virtual Console games:
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Gameboy Advance Virtual Console games (exclusive to this program)
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
+ 3 more

US Press Release
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world’s most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

“For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.”

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who’s Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season. In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video™ service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.

The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color “Virtual Console” games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo’s most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Japan details
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110728_3e.pdf

For Japan, if you buy before august 12, 2011 -- the day of the price drop you get 10 free VC NES games and 10 free VC GB advance games. the VC gba games will only be made available for early adopters -- and never for those who buy on the price drop date.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Darknuke']Metal Gear Acid, NFS Underground, Untold Legends, Ape Escape, and Twisted Metal were all great launch titles. 3DS got Ghost Recon and Super Monkey Ball[/QUOTE]

Eh, none of them were my type of game, except for maybe Need for Speed. I only ended up with Ridge Racer and Darkstalkers at the time. What's wrong with Street Fighter, I didn't get it myself, but people seem to be pretty happy with it?

[quote name='eau']Can't people buy the 3DS for $250 a week before August 12, connect it to the eShop for registering in the program and then get a price adjustment on August 12?

Places like BB and Target have price adjustment policy so that within a specified period you can get the lower price.[/QUOTE]

Correct. Sadly, Walmart's is only 7 days :(

Man, color me surprised. Didn't think Nintendo would budge but I guess the 3DS sold poorly enough to warrant a price drop, especially so soon. Would have guessed Nintendo would cut the price closer to the holiday season.

Oh well, off to buy a bigger SD card then!

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']but honestly would you rather have your $100 back or 20 "NES" and "Gameboy Advance Games" for your 3DS

I think anyone would rather 100 dollars back, I would. But I also knew getting the 3ds that it will have a price drop, officially, and there will be better deals, pricing if one would wait. Early adopters should know this and it is expected for all new hardware, games, etc. A drop so soon, is only good for everyone especially if nintendo gives away the games to early adopters. I would rather have something than nothing, and a price drop was going to happen, so sooner is better because if they waited another year they would not be giving away free games.

Also what people can do to take advantage of both deals is go buy one at best buy tomorrow for $250. Get the 20 games. Come back on August 12th and price match![/QUOTE]

Yes, this

Early adopters shouldn't look at it like they got screwed, but like they paid extra for an advanced copy. You got to enjoy the system earlier than those who buy it now, and that's what you paid for. I personally will be waiting for the revision with better 3D, battery life and bigger screens. That's if Nintendo doesn't abandon it to bring out of retirement the GameBoy name and make a single screen handheld along the lines of the Vita.

I only wish I could get a red 3DS before the drop. I want those free games, but I also want a red 3DS...geez, decisions decisions. I'm sitting on a $250 gift card that I've been meaning to use on a 3DS, but without the color I wanted I decided to hold off, especially when it's a matter of time before they bring the red one here.

Is this possible?

1) Buy 3DS at Walmart a few days before the 12th
2) Get access to the free games
3) Get price adjustment after the 12th

Nintendo has to give early adopters a break to avoid bad press. Dropping the price of a new system by like 80 bucks within months of release will give a sour taste in their mouth.

Nintendo was being arrogant in the first place with the super high mark up and now they are in damage control mode.

[quote name='docvinh']Eh, none of them were my type of game, except for maybe Need for Speed. I only ended up with Ridge Racer and Darkstalkers at the time. What's wrong with Street Fighter, I didn't get it myself, but people seem to be pretty happy with it?[/QUOTE]

Sorry I forgot about SSFIV. That is a pretty well received game, but I've never been a huge SF fan. I guess it's all a matter of opinion, but I think the 3DS was worse than the PSP at launch. It's just kind of sad that the two major hits for 3DS right now are just remakes of games that have been on other consoles.

Surprising, but the system was definitely overpriced. At least us early adopters are being compensated for their failure. I'm glad to hear GBA games are coming to the Virtual console and that I'll be getting 10 for free.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Wow. That's a fantastic freebie for early adopters. Considering any other price drop at any other time has been a total shaft to the buyer at the higher price I'd say this is an unbelievable giveaway. Thanks OP and thanks Nintendo!![/QUOTE]

Yes it is. A reduction in price is inevitable and to have this soon and get free games is a win for everybody. I knew getting a system like this at launch that it would drop at some point, I figured a year. So, I knew it would come and no freebies if it was a year or more. So like I said, this is good and I am not upset as I knew through history it will drop in price at some point..

Wow, I expected it to drop to $200 by November because of Vita, but not by this much and not this early. I really hope this accelerates sales, and creates a larger base.

I don't regret buying the system new pretty close after launch for $200 from Amazon WD. I wouldn't have paid $250 + tax, but I really like my 3DS. Enough to sell my DSi, at least.

The 3DS is a mess and has been since launch.

They tout the amazing visual technologies of the system as the main selling point and then put that tiny screen on it.

Screw compactness. It should have been DSi XL sized from the start.

Don't market a gimmick to me and then make me fight to truly enjoy it.

Doesn't help that, almost universally, people complain that the 3D can only be enjoyed for short periods of time.

The only reason I would want own one is because of the exclusivity of the games:

Ocarina 3DS
Resident Evil: Mercenaries (really needs to be on a real console)
Resident Evil: Revelations (I am DREADING playing this on this small device...hope they release a lager version soon)
DOA: Dimensions (only because as cheesy as it is, I like the DOA IP and enjoyed the mismash of the different games and the expansion of the story mode)
Super Street Fighter IV (because it was the only thing that remotely interested me at launch and I needed at least ONE game. An impressive feat cramming it onto a 3DS but it must be said...who plays this competitively on a 3DS?)

The system gets an F for now. Maybe by the time Kid Icarus drops, things will change.

Oh, and they just pushed back Metal Gear Solid 3D to next year.

The old games...whatever. That is added value. It is not a reason to own a new platform, and it is definitely not something to promote as a main selling point.

This emperor has no clothes. Nintendo is a joke to me anymore, honestly. At least New Super Mario Brothers for DS and Wii were good games, and I enjoyed both Mario Galaxy games. And RE 4: Wii edition was my favorite build of that game, but that's not even a Nintendo product so they get no credit for that.

This is one of the worst selling Nintendo systems yet. It's yet another gimmick riddled POS that focused too much on the 3D crap instead of good games. At the moment I'm simply happy to wait to see what happens with the Vita and the rest of the handheld market.

[quote name='MastrMeatWad']Yes it is. A reduction in price is inevitable and to have this soon and get free games is a win for everybody. I knew getting a system like this at launch that it would drop at some point, I figured a year. So, I knew it would come and no freebies if it was a year or more. So like I said, this is good and I am not upset as I knew through history it will drop in price at some point..[/QUOTE]

Would you feel the same if it was a month after you bought it?

The price drop is fantastic... the 3DS is going to have a lot of great games coming out later in the year and I think it is only going to get better... the 3DS currently has a similar problem as the Wii because it is a great system with a lack of 3rd party developers to make it awesome. The new price is much more reasonable and I think a lot of people are going be willing to buy the system now, on top of the fact that there are some really good games coming, I think it will help sales a lot!

That being said, I think the "early adopters" are kind of getting ripped off... when you buy the system early you expect to pay a little more, miss out on some of the good deals, etc. but, you don't expect such a huge price drop to happen so early... personally, I would have waited to buy the 3DS until there were some better deals (even the $25 and $30 giftcards lately were nice) but my family bought it for me as a gift, even though I didn't buy it, I still feel bad about how much the price is dropping.

I think it is great that Nintendo is at least doing something for the people that bought the system and paid the premium, but I personally wish they would have given a credit or something... instead of 20 downloadable games, I would have been super happy with a few of the new Nintendo titles coming out for the 3DS. The downloadable games are great, shows off the market, etc. but they don't really show off what the system is capable of and they don't really hold as much value.

I really can't complain, they could have dropped the price and did nothing for the people that bought early, I just wish that the early adopters could get a little bit better value.

[quote name='1NintendoFan']The price drop is fantastic... the 3DS is going to have a lot of great games coming out later in the year and I think it is only going to get better... the 3DS currently has a similar problem as the Wii because it is a great system with a lack of 3rd party developers to make it awesome. The new price is much more reasonable and I think a lot of people are going be willing to buy the system now, on top of the fact that there are some really good games coming, I think it will help sales a lot!

That being said, I think the "early adopters" are kind of getting ripped off... when you buy the system early you expect to pay a little more, miss out on some of the good deals, etc. but, you don't expect such a huge price drop to happen so early... personally, I would have waited to buy the 3DS until there were some better deals (even the $25 and $30 giftcards lately were nice) but my family bought it for me as a gift, even though I didn't buy it, I still feel bad about how much the price is dropping.

I think it is great that Nintendo is at least doing something for the people that bought the system and paid the premium, but I personally wish they would have given a credit or something... instead of 20 downloadable games, I would have been super happy with a few of the new Nintendo titles coming out for the 3DS. The downloadable games are great, shows off the market, etc. but they don't really show off what the system is capable of and they don't really hold as much value.

I really can't complain, they could have dropped the price and did nothing for the people that bought early, I just wish that the early adopters could get a little bit better value.[/QUOTE]

I am shocked by your reaction to this 1NintendoFan , simply shocked!

[quote name='Envel']Is this possible?

1) Buy 3DS at Walmart a few days before the 12th
2) Get access to the free games
3) Get price adjustment after the 12th[/QUOTE]

I have a strong suspicion that many people will be sorely disappointed AND pissed when the stores quickly wise up and deny this tactic.

[quote name='XClaude']I have a strong suspicion that many people will be sorely disappointed AND pissed when the stores quickly wise up and deny this tactic.[/QUOTE]

As long as it's in stock they can't deny anything. I do suggest everyone who wants one to buy it now though, simply because people are going to be buying these up like crazy to get the free games

Wonder if places like Best Buy/Target/Walmart will pull their stock? That way they can avoid the whole price match thing? I'm sure they can easily do this and probably knew about the price drop before it was made public.

Kinda like Amazon.

I'm feeling pretty good abosut this, since I already got a $25 Amazon credit from preordering the system back in the day, have been getting b1g1 half off on many of my games, got excitebike free, and now get 20 free games of actual decent quality. This isn't shovelware, these are AWESOME GAMES.

Is it sad that I still don't want one? The system itself looks clumsy and ugly in design (not to mention the bum battery), I'm glad they dropped the price but it's going to take a remodel for me to be interested/ or a christ like resurrection of Mega Man Legends 3.

BTW for those that are interested, you can price match for up to 14 days with receipt at Target too.

Thanks to whoever posted that article. Whether or not the 3DS was worth $250, Nintendo admitted the cost of the parts was ~$108 and they were clearly making a profit out the gate, like with the Wii. It's good to see them back at selling at a loss, like every other console (as it should be). I remember one article that (slight mistranslation aside) had a Nintendo rep more or less say that the fans were more enthusiastic than expected which affected price point. I'd love to believe that they're some sort of evil geniuses announcing a price and lowering it after Sony's pricing, but I think it's more the fact that they were just milking the excitement while it lasted.

That aside, I'm trying to figure out how in the hell I'm going to get $250 together (even if I'm getting $80 back) by August 11th. The new price point alone wouldn't be so tempting (especially with the holiday bundles/GCs coming even if I really can't see much more being offered with the 3DS aside from Black Friday) if it wasn't coming with those 20 free games.

Honestly, I don't regret buying this at launch, but I would really love them to think about restructuring the MSRP on games. $40 is too much for most of the catalog and while some retailers have taken it upon themselves to sell games during launch week for less, most 3DS games should be $30 IMHO with only the real five star titles that required serious development time going for the full $40.

Waiting for a better deal on top of the discounted MSRP, better games, and the next version. This current version of the 3DS looks like it has a lot of kinks to work out. All those are good reason to wait even with this price drop. Especially since I already bought these games for $30-$50 a piece 15 years ago

Then you have to consider the possibility that retailers will be ready for the price matchers. You could get stuck with a $250 3DS and a bunch of old games. Not worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's pretty funny Amazon pushed a lot of 3DS deals and now the price is dropping. People who got it way before the price drop are going to be unable to get a price match at a retailer and the people who do STILL get the free games. This makes me smile. I'm a bad bad person though :(

Now I can't wait to see what the Amazon Warehouse price will be on this :D StarFox 64 was one of my favorite games ever, so this is actually really tempting. But, how dare they keep Yoshi's Island away from everyone! Hopefully it won't stay exclusive, or they release a SNES version for 3DS VC.

So we could pick one up say like August 10th for $250 and then register it online to get all the free games since you only get the free games if owned before August 12. Then take receipt to the store and get a price adjustment when they drop the price.

[quote name='Xenogears']
Then you have to consider the possibility that retailers will be ready for the price matchers. You could get stuck with a $250 3DS and a bunch of old games. Not worth it.[/QUOTE]

I doubt they'll do anything, the units they have on shelves now are effectively worth $170, if they leave them they may get a few people who don't know this and buy at $250 and don't price adjust. Sure they'll get some price adjusters but what do they care if they get free Nintendo games.

If they pull them from shelves till the 12th they still only get $170 and run the risk people will buy from somewhere else in the meantime.

Well, this is basically admitting that the 3DS has been performing way below expectations. They tried to use the same strategy as they did for the Wii (sell an overpriced gimmick) but it really backfired on them for what seems like obvious reasons now ($250 is more than most home consoles now, lack of games, 3D fad fading and receiving bad press to boot, etc). I picked one up and suppose I'll be happy with the free downloadable games, though I already own a few of them, which is sort of annoying... would've almost preferred they just give me $70 (or whatever minus whatever they consider an early adopter fee) credit in their store.

I'll admit, I've barely played the thing since I got it. I picked up 3 games with it to start (not all full price thankfully) and basically just gave them a short whirl before setting it aside (probably played more Face Breakers or whatever its called than anything else). A few months later I played through the forest temple again in Ocarina before putting in a regular DS game (9 doors, 9 etc...) and playing that exclusively during my summer travel, but haven't picked up the device at all since I got back in early July. Hopefully some good stuff comes out for it, but there's nothing I'm particularly excited for quite honestly.

Maybe somebody familiar with reward zone can help. My system was purchased on a premier silver account on July 2nd, and from my understanding the return/price match policy is 45 days in this case. So I should be good on getting a price match, correct? Otherwise, I'll need to go return and rebuy it.

[quote name='bojay1997']Honestly, I don't regret buying this at launch, but I would really love them to think about restructuring the MSRP on games. $40 is too much for most of the catalog and while some retailers have taken it upon themselves to sell games during launch week for less, most 3DS games should be $30 IMHO with only the real five star titles that required serious development time going for the full $40.[/QUOTE]

Yeah most 3DS games are not going to be worth $40.

[quote name='emeraldgsl']Wonder if places like Best Buy/Target/Walmart will pull their stock? That way they can avoid the whole price match thing? I'm sure they can easily do this and probably knew about the price drop before it was made public.

Kinda like Amazon.[/QUOTE]

I feel like they'll do this too. will they price match if it's bought online? i live in the middle of nowhere and the closest store is a walmart ~15 min. away.

Hmmm might bite on this. Do you think Best Buy will refund my 80 bucks if I buy it now and bring in my receipt on August 12th?!

EDIT: Nevermind.....seems like people are already thinking about this

[quote name='banzaiwolfe']Maybe somebody familiar with reward zone can help. My system was purchased on a premier silver account on July 2nd, and from my understanding the return/price match policy is 45 days in this case. So I should be good on getting a price match, correct? Otherwise, I'll need to go return and rebuy it.[/QUOTE]

45 day PM policy so you should be good.

[quote name='banzaiwolfe']Maybe somebody familiar with reward zone can help. My system was purchased on a premier silver account on July 2nd, and from my understanding the return/price match policy is 45 days in this case. So I should be good on getting a price match, correct? Otherwise, I'll need to go return and rebuy it.[/QUOTE]

Return and rebuy seems the safer bet. At least you didn't buy it in June imagine those people and their situation.

EDIT: There probably will be a lot of deals with the retailers to push more sales. Just my 2 cents though.

if you read the fine print it says price match is not valid on items that are part of a promotion or include freebies. The 20 dowloaded games are a freebie. If best buy employees are instructed to deny price matches because of this, your screwed.

[quote name='Xenogears']its 30 day. And if you read the fine print it says price match is not valid on items that are part of a promotion or include freebies. The 20 dowloaded games are a freebie. If best buy employees are instructed to deny price matches because of this, your screwed.[/QUOTE]

the games aren't a freebie/promotion through the store; it's through nintendo so i highly doubt that counts.

also someone else posted:
"45 days for all products for Reward Zone Premier Silver members*"

I have a feeling that Best Buy is not going to do a price match on this one. I really don't think Best Buy is stupid enough to set themselves up to take a loss like this since the price drop was announced ahead of time.

I will laugh my ass off if all of you get stuck with a $250 3DS.

[quote name='mariol90']the games aren't a freebie/promotion through the store; it's through nintendo so i highly doubt that counts.[/QUOTE]

Why not? I've had best buy deny legitimate price match's. No reason they won't deny this, when their fine print says they technically can. And $80 is a big risk. Especially considering it would be for games I already have, and at the cost of missing out on a better sale off of MSRP, or the inevitable 3DS2 that might actually fix the problems this ones has. Battery, shoddy construction

[quote name='Xenogears']if you read the fine print it says price match is not valid on items that are part of a promotion or include freebies. The 20 dowloaded games are a freebie. If best buy employees are instructed to deny price matches because of this, your screwed.[/QUOTE]

Hes not screwed because he could still return and re-buy

[quote name='GAMESHARQ']I have a feeling that Best Buy is not going to do a price match on this one. I will laugh my ass off if all of you get stuck with a $250 3DS.[/QUOTE]

Give a valid reason why? None of the reasons here are a valid reason why they wouldn't price match. I still think I might hold off and get a Vita instead since I've never been disappointed with a Sony product. With the DSi, still thought it failed since when I got it released I didn't think any of the games were actually even any good and were at crap prices for a handheld.

[quote name='karyadi']Give a valid reason why? None of the reasons here are a valid reason why they wouldn't price match. I still think I might hold off and get a Vita instead since I've never been disappointed with a Sony product. With the DSi, still thought it failed since when I got it released I didn't think any of the games were actually even any good and were at crap prices for a handheld.[/QUOTE]

Because the price drop has been announced ahead of time. They know a lot of people will try to take advantage of it and they will lose so much money if they allow it.

[quote name='elessar123']I'm starting to wonder if they'll use a new SKU August 12, so you can't go in and price match.[/QUOTE]

That would be AWFUL. I'm starting to reconsider now. And it's not like you can keep it sealed AND redeem the free games either.. Nintendo could have the price dropped version be some sort of bundle, that would justify a new SKU. The only other way would be to buy a model after August 12th, and do a receipt swap.

[quote name='JG5253']Hes not screwed because he could still return and re-buy[/QUOTE]

Can he if he opens it? If you don't open it, can you still redeem the free games?

[quote name='BobbyTastic']That would be AWFUL. I'm starting to reconsider now. And it's not like you can keep it sealed either.. Nintendo could have the price dropped version be some sort of bundle, that would justify a new SKU. The only other way would be to buy a model after August 12th, and do a receipt swap.[/QUOTE]

Can't do a receipt swap since they scan the serial number of the unit onto the receipt.

[quote name='elessar123']Can he if he opens it? If you don't open it, can you still redeem the free games?[/QUOTE]

The only way to get the free games is if you've used the system to connect to the eShop. So yes, you have to open it.

[quote name='elessar123']Can he if he opens it? If you don't open it, can you still redeem the free games?[/QUOTE]
Nope because you have to connect online with the system. So you have to open it to do this.

bread's done
Back