3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

Celsius

CAGiversary!
Pre-order at the lower price at Amazon
iconwalmart_r3.gif
Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

Quick Details:

Connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the below free games:

NES Virtual Console games:
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Gameboy Advance Virtual Console games (exclusive to this program)
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
+ 3 more

US Press Release
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world’s most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

“For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.”

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who’s Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season. In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video™ service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.

The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color “Virtual Console” games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo’s most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Japan details
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110728_3e.pdf

For Japan, if you buy before august 12, 2011 -- the day of the price drop you get 10 free VC NES games and 10 free VC GB advance games. the VC gba games will only be made available for early adopters -- and never for those who buy on the price drop date.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='nixmahn']It means they are not responsible in price matching anything store/competitor exclusive other than price.

On a further note, I bought the 3ds at launch at Amazon w/ +25 credit for launch title, all with credit and this still pisses me off. I have SSIV and zelda. The only good games are rehashes/ports, absolutely nothing new.

They only say "no plans to release them to general public" = PC talk for we will screw you later, rather than sooner.

The only way they can make this up for early adopters is with 2 free games. 1 that should have been packaged at launch w/ system and another for the price drop.

As far as I'm concerned those 2 games need to be Kid Icarus and Luigi's Mansion 2 as those are not rehashes, redone to death, and only worth while console exclusives.

And for those that say, nintendo owes us early adopters jack, they owe their console decent games, exclusive games that can't be played anywhere else or else its not worth owning or selling.[/QUOTE]

Why do they owe us those? They're giving us 20 free downloadable games that they didn't need to even give us if they didn't want (though it was obviously smart for them to do so), they're absolutely not giving us free retail games. Besides, if you didn't see any games you liked for the console then there was no reason to buy it... or you accept that you're an early adopter and take the good with the bad (good being you get to play stuff right away, and bad being that there may be a price drop and a wait for some more content).

Gotta say, I'm happy to see the CAG community (for the most part) taking this news much better than the crybabies and doomsayers over at Kotaku/Destructoid/Joystiq/etc. Only on the internet will you find people complaining about cheaper hardware and free games. I know it's sort of the fad for gaming blogs to hate on the 3DS lately because it gets them more page hits, but I really think once more people own one for themselves this holiday season and get to experience the system outside of a kiosk setting, in the comfort of their own homes, at their own pace, and with games they are interested in, they will fall in love with it just as many of us have since March.

I couldn't bring myself to buy one on launch day, but once Zelda was out there was no way I could convince myself not to buy one. I am definitely upset at the price drop, but it would be 1000x worse if they weren't at least acknowledging that they screwed up on the initial price point by giving us early adopters a slew of free games.

From Nintendo's standpoint however, this move is brilliant. Keep the rage subdued by throwing the early adopters some candy, but also aggressively approach the launch of the Vita and the holiday season. At $250, there would be some parents willing to buy this for their kids, but not anything like what the DS has done over the years. At $170, those things will be flying off the shelves come holiday shopping season. Bravo Nintendo.

[quote name='sadakou']Gotta say, I'm happy to see the CAG community (for the most part) taking this news much better than the crybabies and doomsayers over at Kotaku/Destructoid/Joystiq/etc. Only on the internet will you find people complaining about cheaper hardware and free games. I know it's sort of the fad for gaming blogs to hate on the 3DS lately because it gets them more page hits, but I really think once more people own one for themselves this holiday season and get to experience the system outside of a kiosk setting, in the comfort of their own homes, at their own pace, and with games they are interested in, they will fall in love with it just as many of us have since March.[/QUOTE

Those sites are fanboy paradise, i never go to those sites period

I figure I'll try and snag a system today or tomorrow at Best Buy. As of right now, the only way they can justify denying a price match on the 12th is if corporate comes out with some special rules JUST for this price drop.

With that being the case, I'm going to keep mine sealed until the last possible day just in case BB tries to pull such shenanigans and announce that they won't honor price adjustments for some reason.

Even if they did try to pull that later though, I think anyone buying one now would still be safe. It's stated pretty clearly in their policies, and as such I doubt they'll try denying it when the 12th comes around.

[quote name='trq']
Nope, because ...

Bingo.[/QUOTE]

The DSI kept the same form factor and media and added very little. The GO had nothing in common with the psp other than digital version of the games, it was entirely new hardware.

You know I thought I would be mad, but im really not... when you think about it there is no reason for people to be upset over this... people have said it before but ill say it again, we knew what we were getting when we bought it, there hasn't been too many delays... a couple canceled games, but what they told us there was is still there... I have enjoyed my 3ds so far and i bought it about a month ago, zelda is great, i liked super monkey ball and pilot wings(not the greatest games, but i had fun with them) but really it just got me to love regular ds games again, playing bowser inside story, and super mario 64 ds, with the analog pad is great.... and another thing they are giving us 20 free games, yes they are downloadable and I probably wouldn't pay for them if they were just being sold, but giving us exclusive games along with UPGRADED versions of nes games WITH MULTIPLAYER? is actually very cool of them. Especially since they could have easily said tough tittes to the hardcore gamer who did support them from the beginning or even when the price was a little steep... I still have faith in this system, and if dropping the price to get more people to buy the system turns into more developers making more quality games, then I am all for it

Super Mario Land 3D, Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion 2, Paper Mario, Starfox, even Animal Crossing, make it worth my money because I will be getting all of those.

Oh, and nobody seems to be speculating what the other 10 games are? I don't know if they will all be first party or what, but if they give me one of my bold ones I will be ecstatic... but heres my wish list
Nes
PUNCHOUT!
KID ICARUS!
Metroid
Ice Hockey
Urban Champion

GBA
MARIO AND LUIGI!
MARIO GOLF!
Advanced Wars
LOZ Minish Cap
Super Mario World

Unlikely but its my wishlist so ill put it down here Pokemon Pinball Ruby

[quote name='iwannadie']The DSI kept the same form factor and media and added very little. The GO had nothing in common with the psp other than digital version of the games, it was entirely new hardware.[/QUOTE]

The DSi/XL were new hardware too :whistle2:s

I'm SURE Nintendo will be doing some special kickbacks to the bigger B&M stores to help with the price matches. It's pretty common for retailers to have some level of "assistance" when price drops happen.. (I've heard that both from bigger stores and from smaller stores who DON'T get helped and don't/can't PM) Given the size of this drop Nintendo is likely going to write it off as a "promotional charge" and move on.

That said-- if anyone is REALLY panicked about Best Buy (etc) denying this one specific price match (which I'd say has about 0.01% chance of a corporate policy change over this ONE product) buy TODAY. If they deny you, you could fight it over "The policy was changed after my purchase and was sold to me on misleading grounds if you're changing things". It'd possibly be a fight, but seriously-- they're GOING to do the PM. I've pre-bought before price changes (got my PS3 the week before the first $100 drop thanks to Speedy!) and have never had an issue with it.

[quote name='xGunCrazyx']The DSi/XL were new hardware too :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

I think all of you are crazy :D .

The iPod touch is not a generation of the class iPod in the same that the psp Go was not a new generation of the psp. It was something different that made it its' own model.

Alright CAGs, level with me - is the 3DS worth it? I know some will say that the price makes it worth it, but frankly I've been content with my DSlite while at the same time salivating over the idea of playing OoT on the go. How is the quality of the VC games? Has anyone tried out the Netflix streaming I've read aboutan and if so how is it?

[quote name='ilpalazzo150']Alright CAGs, level with me - is the 3DS worth it? I know some will say that the price makes it worth it, but frankly I've been content with my DSlite while at the same time salivating over the idea of playing OoT on the go. How is the quality of the VC games? Has anyone tried out the Netflix streaming I've read aboutan and if so how is it?[/QUOTE]

no.

What about for somebody whom has never played a single DS game ever? I've spent the better part of the last decade away from portable gaming. I'm itching to play some of the classic DS games, but I'm not sure which system I should get.

Should I get a 3DS or a DS lite/DSi?

[quote name='poker360']no.[/QUOTE]

Do you own a DS and play it often, that would go a long way to validating your answer. Someone who does not play a lot of portables would be quick to say the 3ds sucks but if someone who plays a lot of portables says that I would listen closer.

[quote name='iwannadie']Do you own a DS and play it often, that would go a long way to validating your answer. Someone who does not play a lot of portables would be quick to say the 3ds sucks but if someone who plays a lot of portables says that I would listen closer.[/QUOTE]

I bought one on launch. Don't buy it. 3D is a gimmick, and i just got rid of mine upon the announcement of the price drop. It offended me that Nintendo would do this to loyal customers, and then throw 20 free old games i could care less about to us... If it were 3DS ware games or something, i may have kept it.

Truthfully, if you ARE going to get a DS system. You'd probally be better off buying a 3DS now and PMing it after the drop. The system truly is amazing, i love it here.

Personally went back and brought a ton of DS games i never had before to play on the 3DS, and its quite awesome playing some older DS games with the Analog Pad.

As far as the 3D goes, not many games have fully utilized it to what i assume will make it awesome. It looks great on some games (Like Zelda, DoA, Street Fighter, and Samurai Warriors), but on other games, it barely looks like you reading a pop-out book or something.

[quote name='poker360']It offended me that Nintendo would do this to loyal customers, and then throw 20 free old games i could care less about to us... If it were 3DS ware games or something, i may have kept it.[/QUOTE]

That's your take on it. If they had been 3DSware games I would have been incredibly pissed about it. I don't think most of those are worth a damn where as a lot of those GBA and classic games I might actually have purchased.

I love mine - bought it at launch ( I have not had a DS in years) and have played the heck out of SF4, DoA, OoT along with a ton of classic Ds games like New Super Mario Bros, the DS Zelda games and the Mario RPG games.

But I am a huge Nintendo fan, I am looking forward to the new Mario & Mario Kart games later this year but there is enough to keep me busy for now.

-Matt

[quote name='biledriver']That's your take on it. If they had been 3DSware games I would have been incredibly pissed about it. I don't think most of those are worth a damn where as a lot of those GBA and classic games I might actually have purchased.[/QUOTE]

This.

Chances are, i would have eaten up most of these GBA games whenever (Or if they even do), launch on the shop.

Getting them free, along with 10 free NES games (All of which seem to be pretty high tier), is a heck of a way to reward early adopters.

Do not get a 3DS to play older DS games. It's the worst way to play them, with the smaller screen real estate. If you've never played DS games, get a Lite/DSi/XL. Cheaper, better, and can keep you busy for literally YEARS.

Wow, I'm glad I waited. Definitely plan to get one eventually, but decided to hold off until there were a few more games that I wanted. This price drop will happen just in time to grab one before Devil Survivor Overclocked comes out. :D

[quote name='Vegan']Do not get a 3DS to play older DS games. It's the worst way to play them, with the smaller screen real estate. If you've never played DS games, get a Lite/DSi/XL. Cheaper, better, and can keep you busy for literally YEARS.[/QUOTE]

The 3DS has smaller screen real estate than the non-XL DS units?

How nice of Nintendo to give out old games that cost them little to no money to port over. These games aren't even in 3D, correct? Fortunately I've played and/or own them in some other format. Would have been much better if they compensated fans with something actually new or at least new to the NA region. Then again the whole basis of the 3DS is just to rehash old/N64 games in 3D. I was excited for it, but now it's pretty bad how it's not being supported at all/Nintendo is only recreating games for it.

[quote name='adamnedman']The 3DS has smaller screen real estate than the non-XL DS units?[/QUOTE]

No, it's not that -- because of the different resolution of the screen, it doesn't show older DS games full-screen. There's a big black border around three sides of the image on each screen (all but the bottom of the image on the top screen and the top of the image on the bottom screen). Apparently there was some reason that they couldn't just upscale the image, but I have no idea what it was (not enough processing power, maybe?).

[quote name='arcane93']No, it's not that -- because of the different resolution of the screen, it doesn't show older DS games full-screen. There's a big black border around three sides of the image on each screen (all but the bottom of the image on the top screen and the top of the image on the bottom screen). Apparently there was some reason that they couldn't just upscale the image, but I have no idea what it was (not enough processing power, maybe?).[/QUOTE]

Here's how it works. You've got two options: blown up, or 1:1. Blown up is the default, and it makes both screens about the same size as a DS Lite. There are borders on the left and right of the top screen, but that's it. The thing is, the system has a higher resolution, but not exactly 4x the pixels, so some pixels are doubled, and some aren't. It looks, you know, okay... but not AS good.

The other option is 1:1, which is triggered when you hold Start and Select as you start a DS game. This puts some big borders on there, and gives you a smaller screen than any DS system, but you get the exact pixels. It has nothing to do with processing power and everything to do with the differing resolution.

Price drop great...now when will I get my hands on the red 3DS? Then I will make my purchase. I already have $75 worth of gamestop giftcards...so $100 3DS, lets do it.

[quote name='sixspeednissan']Soooo is the 3ds basically considered a flop then?[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't say so when it sold 2 million units at the $250 price point with crappy games.

Now with a price that makes sense and all the new AAA titles soon to be released you can make a judgement then.

[quote name='CheapyD']
3ds.gif
Pre-order at the lower price at Amazon
[/QUOTE]

Funny thing about this, it was marked 'Pre-Order' earlier today, to be released 8/12 but at the current $249 price. It had me confused, but looks like they got it fixed now.
Now I need to get up to BB and swap out BB GC's for some kindle GC's

I sold mine on ebay for over $200 a month or so ago. I liked the thing fine, but when Zelda came out, I realized I was able to play the same game with a 360 controller on my tv. All those games are nice though, had I kept it I would've loved playing Metroid Fusion.

I picked one up at Bestbuy as well. They had two of each color on shelves. Couldn't see if there were more elsewhere. I walked about with it in hand for a bit browsing the dearth of games to choose from, and no kne said anything about "the news".

Hopefully it works out for the coveted $170/plus price match difference of $8, plus 20 free retro games..! ($130 in store credit from that PS3 deal a month back didn't hurt either!)

nice. checked craigslist and found a guy selling OoT for $20 brand new so i went ahead and picked it up. will buy the 3ds on the 12th at walmart using a friend's discount :)

[quote name='Vegan']Do not get a 3DS to play older DS games. It's the worst way to play them, with the smaller screen real estate. If you've never played DS games, get a Lite/DSi/XL. Cheaper, better, and can keep you busy for literally YEARS.[/QUOTE]

You know I've heard tons of complaints about this on the internets and even seen videos of people complaining but it honestly doesn't bother me at all.

I can't wait to download Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island, Mario Kart Advance, Metroid Fusion. Mostly Metoid Fusion. I'm sure it'll be a stretch to get either Minish Cap, Metroid Zero, Donkey Kong Country or Link to the Past as the the other GBA titles though. I can dream though.

Makes me wonder if since they're doing NES titles if they're going to do SNES eventually too? It'd be really cool if the NES games we bought for the Wii VC transfered over to the 3DS VC, but I'm sure they won't.

The only thing that would've burned me today was if they announced a Gold 3DS Zelda bundle or a Red Mario 3DS bundle.

[quote name='spug21']You know I've heard tons of complaints about this on the internets and even seen videos of people complaining but it honestly doesn't bother me at all.[/QUOTE]

I kept my DSi XL because I like the larger screen. So at home I only play my DS games on my DSi XL, but if I was traveling I'd only take the 3DS and play 3DS and DS games on it. There is a noticeable difference, but not as bad as people make it sound and noting that makes any game less playable.

It comes down to the fact that people like to complain.

The 3DS release reminds me a lot of the PS3 release.

The PS3 launched to okay sales but not great, people complained that it was too expensive, the library was lacking in killer titles, and most people ended up playing PS2 games on them --> Quicker than usual price drop

The 3DS launched to okay sales but not great, people complained that it was too expensive, the library was lacking in killer titles, and most people end up playing DS games on them --> Quicker than usual price drop

The situations and market are obviously different but there are clearly parallels there. I think it's way too early to say the 3DS is a flop, or call it the next Virtual Boy. Come back in 3 years or so and then we'll see.

Let's see - I've played my release day system about 8 hours total, probably. So that was $10 per hour of play. Not worth it ;).

But still, I'm not one of these "Vita will crush the 3DS" morons. I will most likely wait on a price drop on the Vita since I never really played the PSP either despite buying tons of games for it. It just always felt like a handheld version of console gaming and well, I'd rather play console games on a TV. At least with the 3DS it has the potential to be somewhat different.

Interestingly enough, this news has made me decide to wait on a Vita price drop because I don't want to be burned again. Of course they are unrelated systems and companies and who knows what will happen, but I just thought that was in interesting reaction. I wonder if anyone else feels the same? I mean, I could have said "to hell with Nintendo" and picked up a Vita day one but this is just making my CAG instincts kick in and making me retreat entirely from buying systems day 1.

Back to the 3DS: I do have Zelda and it is nice enough and I do intend to finish that. I also picked up Ghost Recon from TRU when it was $16 and Nintendogs + Cats from GS when I needed another game for B2G1. But besides 1 hour of Zelda play I haven't played any of them. All I've used it for so far is a little Face Raiders, Mii Plaza play, and taking 3D pictures. It is a nice, slick little system - but it remains to be seen how it plays out. We needs more games...

The $80 drop was a shock to me. I fully expected a $50 drop before Christmas and would have been fine with that. But $80 in August? Nuh-uh... And the free games mean nothing to me - I don't want to play NES and Game Boy games. I skipped those systems for a reason. It would have been nice for them to throw us a bone with a new 3DSware title or something (something that is actually designed to use the system features like Face Raiders). Or maybe $80 worth of 3DSware money so we could buy whatever we wanted. Yeah, that would have been much better.

Edit: One correction. I did not realize the 10 future games would be GBA games. I had read something early in the AM that made it sound like original Game Boy games (the crappy black and white ones that they try to sell in the 3DS shop). The fact that these are GBA games like Metroid Fusion makes it somewhat better. However, I already have all those games so it would just be a slight convenience to be able to play them on one system instead of dusting off a GBA or original DS. And I rarely go back and play older stuff anyway...

[quote name='io']I picked up Zelda and Ghost Recon, easily 40 hours of gameplay at least sitting right there, but I have only played my 3DS for 8 hours. Wahh. C'mon Nintendo we need more games for me to buy and not play!!! [/QUOTE]

:roll:

[quote name='sadakou']:roll:[/QUOTE]

Only because as with the PSP, when I'm home I always seem to prefer console games. Handhelds are for travel and I haven't gone anywhere this summer. That is until they can provide something dramatically different. I'm still waiting for innovative 3D games was my point - ones that provide something new besides a 3D sheen on an older game. I thought that was clear.

Example: I was picking a new game to play the other day. Do I continue Zelda or get out Ghost Recon, which from all I've heard is a nice little game, or do I fire up the PS3 and play that Borderlands GotY I got off PSN? Well, I'm gonna choose the HD PS3 game if I'm sitting on the couch anyway. My point was that besides a little initial fun with Zelda and trying out the 3D, I did not feel compelled to go back to that. When they have a game that is designed from the ground up to use 3D then I will probably play that as a first option.

Anyways, just expressing my feelings about all this. I see this thread has had some drama today that I missed out on so maybe people don't want to hear anything more.

I'll just chalk this up to lessons learned like my $470 Xbox 360 Elite purchase, my $250 Beatles Rock Band purchase, and a few other mistakes I've made along the way. Of course I've gotten 100x that in good deals as a result of CAG so I'm still way far out ahead ;).

Wow... PS Vita forces N3DS price drop. So poor Nintendo wont make as much of a KILLING on each portable sold. How sad.

I stopped caring about Nintendo when they stopped caring about themselves. I mean, really? Constantly releasing crappy hardware that is only slightly updated from the previous crap they released...and game remakes. We had the DS, and all of the upgraded DS' (such as Lite, XL, DSi, etc), on top of the Wii which is a glorified gamecube with a neat controller. Nothing inspiring or wowing, just the same old boring crap. Nintendo is putting me to sleep over here. What happened to the glory days? When Nintendo was the shit and real men had to blow on their video games to get 'em to work?? :whistle2:(

Sorry, but if Nintendo isnt going to even try then Im not going to bother supporting them. Sucks.

[quote name='sixspeednissan']Soooo is the 3ds basically considered a flop then?[/QUOTE]
Yes, the Virtual Boy is now only second as the worst gaming device ever

(and before anyone brings out some obscure system no other system has the kind of support that the 3DS has with the backward compatibility of the DS and still fell flat on it's face)

I think the 3DS has the potential to be a great system. But I'm worried that Nintendo will be the only one to utilize the 3D effect to its fullest.

I know I'm definitely picking one up when a new model with a better battery life comes out, even if it's just for Kid Icarus and Luigi's Mansion 2.

bread's done
Back