3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

Celsius

CAGiversary!
Pre-order at the lower price at Amazon
iconwalmart_r3.gif
Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

Quick Details:

Connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the below free games:

NES Virtual Console games:
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Gameboy Advance Virtual Console games (exclusive to this program)
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
+ 3 more

US Press Release
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world’s most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

“For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.”

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who’s Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season. In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video™ service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.

The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color “Virtual Console” games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo’s most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Japan details
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110728_3e.pdf

For Japan, if you buy before august 12, 2011 -- the day of the price drop you get 10 free VC NES games and 10 free VC GB advance games. the VC gba games will only be made available for early adopters -- and never for those who buy on the price drop date.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='benjamouth']I take your point but I think most stores won't care that much. Unless they go out of their way to tell staff not to do it on 3ds's, it will just be a matter of handing the receipt to Custom Service and they'll probably barely look at it.

As I've said I've seen this on all CAG before, a load of people claiming that price adjustments won't happen, then they all do.[/QUOTE]

I don't see why it wouldn't be honored. They do have a pricematch policy for a reason. I just thought his logic was laughable.

I wonder if this is rampantly abused whether they will put a clause in their policy about "announced price drops."

A Best Buy associate said that I could bring it back even if it is open within 30 days when I got my 3DS yesterday. I think that they would be more willing to pricematch then take a back system that will have been used and opened that they would probably have to sell for less than $170.

[quote name='sixspeednissan']Anyone else notice Amazon has different ASIN numbers for the original 3ds and the lower price one? I wonder if that will prevent stores from having to do a price guarantee for returns. Maybe the UPC is different. I could see Nintendo sending fresh supplies to stores and getting the old UPC models back for repackaging.[/QUOTE]
You guys and your tin foil hats are hilarious. Keep dreaming up this nonsense; maybe you could start a religion with enough bullshit.

Yeah, I said I was going to wait to open it but screw that.

It actually isnt a bad system at all. The heft and plastic used certainly feels a lot nicer than my DSi and im loving the analog nub.

[quote name='JokerCard']Yeah, I said I was going to wait to open it but screw that.

It actually isnt a bad system at all. The heft and plastic used certainly feels a lot nicer than my DSi and im loving the analog nub.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that you have to connect the system to the online marketplace (or something along those lines) before August 12th to qualify for the free games. Don't miss out if you're going to take the plunge.

In related news, I've flip-flopped on buying a 3ds like twice more since last night. Shit is driving me berserk. I just need to resist until August 12th and then I can comfortably wait for a hardware revision before buying one.

To those making it sound like there's going to be a flood of people buying the system and then returning it to get the price difference credited, it's not going to happen. Most people aren't CAGers. I mentioned this strategy to a couple friends and they all looked at me like I was a god. If most people were CAGers, the whole industry would be fucked on a consistent basis. We are the fringe.

[quote name='Halo05']Keep in mind that you have to connect the system to the online marketplace (or something along those lines) before August 12th to qualify for the free games. Don't miss out if you're going to take the plunge.

In related news, I've flip-flopped on buying a 3ds like twice more since last night. Shit is driving me berserk. I just need to resist until August 12th and then I can comfortably wait for a hardware revision before buying one.[/QUOTE]

Amen.

I'm going to agree with us being on the fringe. I think retailers are perfectly happy sucking out the extra $80 from the majority of people buying 3DS at the moment that neither know of the upcoming price drop nor of the fact that they can get a price adjustment. For every CAGer that gets their $80 back and their free shit, there's 5 other people who buy it for $250 and don't even get their free games.

Well, you would think that if everyone was planning to do this, Best Buy would be running out of 3DS systems.. Mine has a case full of them. Either that means people don't know about the price drop/adjustment deal or they still don't want the thing at $169 w/ 20 free games.

I'd say the average consumer isn't even aware of the free 20 games, or the fact that the price is dropping, so they sure as hell wouldn't know about the adjustment deal. Hell, a good amount of people in this thread were surprised to find out that you can get an adjustment from BB

Heres a [likely stupid] question:

If I buy a used 3DS (off craigslist, e.g.) will I still qualify for the 20 free games?

I know there is one deal on my local CL for a "like new" 3DS with Zelda and SF4 for 200 even, but if I got 20 free games on top of that...whew!

On my Craigslist here, I saw an ad for a blue 3ds with 2 nintendogs and monkey ball for 200. Should I bite?

Edit: I want to do the buy and BB and pricematch, but with my luck, it wouldn't be adjusted.

[quote name='J Bling Blang']On my Craigslist here, I saw an ad for a blue 3ds with 2 nintendogs and monkey ball for 200. Should I bite?[/QUOTE]

Depends on if you want those games. Personally, I wouldn't buy it. It's definitely a good value but I'd rather get it brand new with no games for less when the price officially drops.

Gamestop sent out a corporate email today to all their stores saying that there will be NO price match on the price drop. They currently do have a 7 day price drop honor system, but in this case they are not going to do so. Just a heads up to anyone that was thinking of buying one there and trying to get the 80 difference back.

As far as BB is concerned, I don't see them doing anything like this, and even if they did, it would be more than likely a cut point of something like "Systems sold after date X will not be honored a price drop guarantee" and would need to be posted prominently in the area. That is really the only legal way they could stop it from happening. GS already has covered their ass by telling store personnel ahead of time it wont be happening, thus allowing them to tell the customer it won't be honored.

[quote name='doodofdoods']As long as the 3ds has connected to the eshop before august 12th then that 3ds will be eligible for the free games.[/QUOTE]

cool, thanks

At $169, i still can't push myself to buy this thing. Maybe, one day they will actually have some decent games to play and that will change my mind.

fuck that store. Off to cancel my Skyrim preorder from them. I'll have to put the money towards something else then... hmmm. I wish they sold Amazon giftcards.

[quote name='Jodou']Power to the players.[/QUOTE]

I LOLd! No kidding, nice way to stick it to the consumer and follow your 7 day price guarantee.

[quote name='Spyder187']Gamestop sent out a corporate email today to all their stores saying that there will be NO price match on the price drop. They currently do have a 7 day price drop honor system, but in this case they are not going to do so. Just a heads up to anyone that was thinking of buying one there and trying to get the 80 difference back.[/QUOTE]Well, that settles it. GameStop was my only option as that's where my credit is. I don't want to involve any cash, so Best Buy is out. I'll just have to wait for the price decrease and forget about the 20 free games.

Does GS even have a PM policy in place? I know they allow you to return something within 7 days but I don't think they have some sort of PM guarantee like Best Buy does

[quote name='ssjmichael']There's been threads on here dating back years showing that GS does NOT Price match, or make adjustments, so why is everyone so surprised by that they won't do it now? It's obviously not in their policy to PM yet some of you are losing your shit over this?

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283580
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51080

Did you guys suddenly think they would change their policy for this? lol................[/QUOTE]

No.. but I have had no problems price matching things at my Gamestop, so naturally I would think it was a corporate thing. If they had never offered pricematching then the point is moot, and people should probably not rely on Gamestop and expect to get a price adjustment. It kind of sucks though, knowing how much profit Gamestop has been getting, that they do not offer a corporate price adjustment policy in general.

I've apparently been living under a rock not to notice that best buy does trade in games now, so I guess I'll make a road trip to BB on the 8th and again on the 12th =o I was going to do it at GS.....but 80 dollars back is just way too much to pass up on.

Best Buy 1 - Gamestop 0.

[quote name='FairyLeviathan']I've apparently been living under a rock not to notice that best buy does trade in games now, so I guess I'll make a road trip to BB on the 8th and again on the 12th =o I was going to do it at GS.....but 80 dollars back is just way too much to pass up on.

Best Buy 1 - Gamestop 0.[/QUOTE]

Just be careful though, as some Best Buys only take trades on games bought from them. Check with your Best Buy first, before you hope to get in on some trade in deals there.

I ended up snagging an Aqua 3DS at the Best Buy today in Auburn, Maine the employees seemed kind of surprised about the price drop and they said if it dropped they'd warrant the price-protection guarantee. Last I checked about 1pm they had 1 aqua 3DS and 2 Black 3DS left. so Any CAG'ers in the Lewiston/Auburn , Maine area want to jump on this deal do it up.

I opened the Aqua and thought it was ugly so I traded it for the black at Best Buy. LOL. I think I need to get a 3DS game now. At least the hinge is stronger than the one on the DSL

I could just see someone buying one on the 11th from GameStop and finding out about the drop the next day:

"I just bought this yesterday for $250; could I get my $80 back?"
"Sure! We're actually giving that much in trade as a special today."

I was initially assuming that in order to make the deal work at GameStop, I would have to buy one at $250, then one at $170, and return the $170 one on the $250 receipt. I don't have that much credit to buy both and don't want to involve cash (though, I'm sure they'd just deny the return anyhow). Too much work, too much money, and I'd just feel dirty afterwards...but for only about 5 minutes.
I didn't think a price adjustment would work in the first place...not on this, at least (for the record, I have been able to do price adjustments at GS in the past). I would have loved to have been proven wrong.

[quote name='eugaet']I was initially assuming that in order to make the deal work at GameStop, I would have to buy one at $250, then one at $170, and return the $170 one on the $250 receipt. I don't have that much credit to buy both and don't want to involve cash (though, I'm sure they'd just deny the return anyhow). Too much work, too much money, and I'd just feel dirty afterwards...but for only about 5 minutes.
I didn't think a price adjustment would work in the first place...not on this, at least (for the record, I have been able to do price adjustments at GS in the past). I would have loved to have been proven wrong.[/QUOTE]

Im not even sure that what you wanted to do is possible considering they also scan the serial number on each console you purchase, which is on the receipt.

[quote name='Halo05']Keep in mind that you have to connect the system to the online marketplace (or something along those lines) before August 12th to qualify for the free games. Don't miss out if you're going to take the plunge.

In related news, I've flip-flopped on buying a 3ds like twice more since last night. Shit is driving me berserk. I just need to resist until August 12th and then I can comfortably wait for a hardware revision before buying one.[/QUOTE]

Nope, definitely wont forget to do that. Thanks though.

Nope, wont forget to do that. Thanks though.

[quote name='akilshohen']I opened the Aqua and thought it was ugly so I traded it for the black at Best Buy. LOL. I think I need to get a 3DS game now.[/QUOTE]

This is EXACTLY what Nintendo was counting on. They knew that by dropping the price people would rush out and buy them, and also buy a crappy 3DS game or two to tide them over until November when the good stuff starts coming out.

[quote name='eugaet']I was initially assuming that in order to make the deal work at GameStop, I would have to buy one at $250, then one at $170, and return the $170 one on the $250 receipt. I don't have that much credit to buy both and don't want to involve cash (though, I'm sure they'd just deny the return anyhow). Too much work, too much money, and I'd just feel dirty afterwards...but for only about 5 minutes.
I didn't think a price adjustment would work in the first place...not on this, at least (for the record, I have been able to do price adjustments at GS in the past). I would have loved to have been proven wrong.[/QUOTE]

For the record, your GameStop receipt should show the serial number of your 3DS, so in theory, they would notice that you are returning the wrong system. 7-day return is definitely YMMV. Some individual store managers could choose to disobey orders and price-adjust, but you better have a great rapport with your GameStop for that to work.

[quote name='Bubbamel']Just be careful though, as some Best Buys only take trades on games bought from them. Check with your Best Buy first, before you hope to get in on some trade in deals there.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? How do they go about proving that? Their receipts fade pretty badly over time. Hell, I don't even keep receipts for games after 30 days.

I'm going to try to trade my psp with some games for a 3ds. Would probibly have to kick in a little cash but ill save some good money doing it. Oh and how have you guys been while I was gone ? Missed chatting with you all. I'm really glad that ban was lifted :)

[quote name='lllGurulll']Seriously? How do they go about proving that? Their receipts fade pretty badly over time. Hell, I don't even keep receipts for games after 30 days.[/QUOTE]

What they told me was, if I am a rewards member, they can look up my transactions. If they cannot prove I bought it there, they would not accept it. Kind of silly if you ask me. I do not keep my receipts either especially if I keep the game and open it. I was told this about two weeks ago.

I bought mine on June 17th, just in time for Zelda, but that was going to put me at just outside the 45 day return policy for Best Buy. I had originally bought the Aqua Blue 3DS but I thought it was going to look a lot different than it did, I didn't really care for the gloss, so I used that as justification to return my 3DS and I bought a charcoal one. Now I'll be able to get the price match and free games.

Plus, I registered my 3DS with Club Nintendo and they gave me the full 200 points for registering my device and linking my shop account. I didn't think that would happen with a second device. Already puts me into platinum territory for the year and I used the points to get the giant AR card.

[quote name='JokerCard']Im not even sure that what you wanted to do is possible considering they also scan the serial number on each console you purchase, which is on the receipt.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SirChadlyOC']For the record, your GameStop receipt should show the serial number of your 3DS, so in theory, they would notice that you are returning the wrong system. 7-day return is definitely YMMV. Some individual store managers could choose to disobey orders and price-adjust, but you better have a great rapport with your GameStop for that to work.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was thinking that, but didn't say it. I wasn't sure the serial number for a DS would be on the receipt. That would mean the serial number is on the outside of the box in some form or other or is there a cutout? Been too long since I looked at my DS packaging to remember.

So, what kind of favor could I do for a GS store manager that's worth $80? Wait, no, I'm not doing that.

[quote name='lllGurulll']Is it really that shocking that GS did that?[/QUOTE]

I'm not shocked by anything GS does anymore. There's a reason they're my least favorite retailer. Wouldn't even consider dealing w/ GS if I didn't have the credit.

[quote name='eugaet']Yeah, I was thinking that, but didn't say it. I wasn't sure the serial number for a DS would be on the receipt. That would mean the serial number is on the outside of the box in some form or other or is there a cutout? Been too long since I looked at my DS packaging to remember.

So, what kind of favor could I do for a GS store manager that's worth $80? Wait, no, I'm not doing that.

I'm not shocked by anything GS does anymore. There's a reason they're my least favorite retailer. Wouldn't even consider dealing w/ GS if I didn't have the credit.[/QUOTE]

There is a cutout for the 3DS serial code. They scan it because they keep track of every system in each store for tracking purposes in case of loss, theft, return fraud, etc. Actually, I bet if you offered a GameStop manager that you'd buy a PowerUp Reward Card subscription and some preorders, many would take that. Their higher-up managers yell at them all the time for not selling enough "G.I."s and preorders. They keep track of those numbers, but they don't keep as close of an eye on returns. (I worked at GS for 3 years.)

I've got a quick question for anyone that has one, as I am about to go pick one up and was wondering about it. Since the battery supposedly goes pretty quick, I am guessing it wouldn't last too long or be too beneficial for long flights, like international flights. Is there any kind of USB charger or anything that can be used to charge it for cases like that?

Or is the port some kind of dumb Nintendo-only port like they seem to like using for their handhelds.

Picked up a black 3DS at my Best Buy in Secaucus, NJ. They have plenty in both colors.

They assured me that I could come back and get my $80 once the price drop occurs. I have 30 days for a price adjustment or to return it for a full refund. Time to give it a try and make my final decision!

What is the problem with quality control at Nintendo? Besides the loose hinge problem, I have heard that the top screen can get scratched by the bezel or buttons/analog pad on the lower half of the unit, due to the bumpers on the unit being too shallow. Did they not evaluate all of this before releasing the 3DS? Makes no sense at all, especially when Nintendo's past history has been to build their consoles (both handheld and TV-based) very well. I stll have my old NES, SNES, N64, and GBA-SP consoles, and they're all built like tanks. I understand modern electronics may be more complicated, but these kinds of problems on a brand new console are really surprising from this company.

bread's done
Back