3DS - Super Mario 3D Land Discussion Thread

just rescued Peach. Not to be negative, but I didn't find the game super awesome like others. Game is alright though, but nothing spectacular as I was hoping.

Sir_Fragalot, I thought the same thing but the game does get better and more challenging in the "special" levels. I will say the main campaign is rather short and very easy. Who remembers those frustrating jumps in SMB? I enjoyed the game I'm half way through the special levels but if there is nothing after that the game really isn't worth $40.

I am surprised PETA doesn't have a game where turtles just smash Mario, and catching Mario is a lot less satisfying the rescuing peach.

Just picked up the game (along with my 3DS and Zelda) and I have to say, its pretty fun. The 3D just gives off a very nice feeling of polish, and this is definitely a good looking game.

Played this game a lot yesterday. I love it! Finding lots of semi hidden places and such makes it a normal awesome Mario game. I am getting 3 star coins before moving on to the next level so that it takes me a bit longer and adds something to the experience.

I've been playing through the special worlds and going back to pick up missed coins from the regular worlds when I need them to unlock the castles. I will definitely be getting every single coin by the time it's all said and done.

Also, for the record, I LOVE the fact that small Mario (or Luigi) doesn't have his cap. It reminds me of when that monkey steals Mario's hat in Super Mario 64. I usually just let him have it because I liked playing as Mario without a hat.

[quote name='fatez']is it possible to get white tanooki suit for luigi?[/QUOTE]
It should be, you just have to die a bunch of times in a level and it should pop up, haven't tried it though, so I am not sure.

I finally got the game today. Only up to World 4 (and looking for all the special coins in each level before moving on), but so far, this is the most fun I've had with a Mario game in awhile. In fact, I might go so far as to say it's my favorite of all the Mario games I've ever played (mind you, I still haven't played the Galaxy games yet). The level designs are just bliss!

[quote name='2DMention']If I like the original Super Mario Bros. and stopped playing Mario at the N64 version, would I like this?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is much more reminiscent of the 2D Mario games than 64.

The galaxy games really set the bar high. This was a good game, though I felt it didn't reach the greatness of its predecessors. Early in my play-through I shook my system to perform a spin jump. Needless to say, it didn't work. The tanooki suit was a suitable replacement if not necessary to prevent rage from the later levels.

Those 3 star coins per level felt like a chore at times to collect. After that, I thought I needed gold flag each level to unlock
a special level similar to the grandmaster in galaxy 2.
Of course I missed the part where I needed to also complete each level with both Mario and Luigi. All of this felt more like grinding than actually gameplay. I really liked this game, but I do wish it didn't have these blemishes. I know my Club Nintendo survey will reflect this and who knows, maybe future titles will move away from this trend!

Beat this game in about a day and am working on the special levels. It's great, though each new Mario game continues to make me wonder why lives are still a thing. Kirby's Epic Yarn had a great model for how to still have coins to feed into a rewards system without lives.

I'm also enjoying the 3D, though the worst thing that can happen is approaching a platforming section and losing focus because I've unintentionally turned the 3DS slightly to break the clear view.

Well you actually do need to use lives in a few special level. I guess they could go the Super Meat Boy approach but then it won't be very Mario.

I think the idea is why have lives if all that happens is you lose your checkpoint in a level once you get a game over? At this point, I see it as more of nostalgia.

[quote name='omster']I think the idea is why have lives if all that happens is you lose your checkpoint in a level once you get a game over? At this point, I see it as more of nostalgia.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much. You can accrue lives at such a rapid pace that they're pointless. It's an element of the old games that no longer serves a purpose since these games aren't arcade-style experiences like the NES/SNES games were influenced by.

I wish you could just turn off the super guide/p wing/skip level feature thing. seeing it show up on one level i was intentionally rushing through for a perfect run for my own enjoyment ruins the sparks on the save file. just like NSMBwii.. you could just quit a stage and come back or reset the game before it saves something like that but seriously, why even make doing something like that possible then?

[quote name='sciafb']I wish you could just turn off the super guide/p wing/skip level feature thing. seeing it show up on one level i was intentionally rushing through for a perfect run for my own enjoyment ruins the sparks on the save file. just like NSMBwii.. you could just quit a stage and come back or reset the game before it saves something like that but seriously, why even make doing something like that possible then?[/QUOTE]

You lose the spark for dying 5 times in a level, not for using the p wing.

loving the game... but am i the only one that has a problem with
the ammount of ships there are compared to castles? im on the 7th world, so far there are 5 ships, 2 castles... (i think) i thought i liked the ships before i had to play one every world
not sure if that was spoiler worthy, but i put it in one anyway :whistle2:#

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']loving the game... but am i the only one that has a problem with
the ammount of ships there are compared to castles? im on the 7th world, so far there are 5 ships, 2 castles... (i think) i thought i liked the ships before i had to play one every world
not sure if that was spoiler worthy, but i put it in one anyway :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

The B team gets ships, only Bowser gets a castles, so there is more of the former, but there isnt a dearth of Castle levels once all of the words are completed.

[quote name='foltzie']The B team gets ships, only Bowser gets a castles, so there is more of the former, but there isnt a dearth of Castle levels once all of the words are completed.[/QUOTE]

ahhh ok, that makes sense... didnt think about that lol.

Almost half-way through the Special Worlds. Easily my favorite 3D Mario game. I love the Music, it's not too tough and the levels are nice & short.

Beat it in 5 hours, 26 minutes. Triple Crown of Lives, All Medals, All Flag Poles.

Getting all of the flag poles is tougher than it looks, and is sort of OCD-ish. I'll wait and see where it fits in with my all-time favorite Mario games, but right now I'd say it's in the Top 3 with World and Galaxy. The level design is super simple to the point that it's openly challenging you to explore it.

[quote name='KingBroly']Beat it in 5 hours, 26 minutes. Triple Crown of Lives, All Medals, All Flag Poles.

Getting all of the flag poles is tougher than it looks, and is sort of OCD-ish. I'll wait and see where it fits in with my all-time favorite Mario games, but right now I'd say it's in the Top 3 with World and Galaxy. The level design is super simple to the point that it's openly challenging you to explore it.[/QUOTE]

I'd agree about the getting all the gold flag poles being tough, however it will be important later in unlocking something.

I loved this game so much, that it's actually up there in my GotY list this year... I like Mario, but haven't been a huge fan since SM64, so I came into this game with low-ish expectations. Didn't expect to be blown away as much as I was. Fantastic level design, good music, and just the right amount of nostalgia. I believe it's now my 3rd favorite behind 3 & World, so yeah. I do believe Uncharted 3 is still my favorite game this year, but this one is most definitely 2nd. Although, I haven't gotten a chance to play Skyward Sword yet. :)

[quote name='omster']I'd agree about the getting all the gold flag poles being tough, however it will be important later in unlocking something.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's tough as long as you have a Tanooki Suit. Sometimes it feels like it's required to get one though. I know what getting all the Medals and Flag Poles unlocks, by the way. I'm at
Special World 3
at the moment, but I'm missing 1 Medal in 2 levels of the previous world, so I'm going to be stuck there until I figure out where they are.

[quote name='omster']I'd agree about the getting all the gold flag poles being tough, however it will be important later in unlocking something.[/QUOTE]
Wait, what do the gold flag poles unlock? Hide it behind spoilers so nobody whines.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Wait, what do the gold flag poles unlock? Hide it behind spoilers so nobody whines.[/QUOTE]

If you get five stars you unlock S8-Crown, the final level. Star five requires you beat each level with Mario, Luigi, and aquire Gold Flags on each level.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='foltzie']
If you get five stars you unlock S8-Crown, the final level. Star five requires you beat each level with Mario, Luigi, and aquire Gold Flags on each level.
[/QUOTE]
Is there any way to keep track of what you've beaten with Mario & Luigi? I haven't seen anything, and I find it hard to believe it'd be a requirement when it's the only thing the menu screen doesn't keep track of.

[quote name='foltzie']
[/QUOTE]
Ho-lee crap. I'll never see that.

Thanks!

[quote name='pete5883']
Is there any way to keep track of what you've beaten with Mario & Luigi? I haven't seen anything, and I find it hard to believe it'd be a requirement when it's the only thing the menu screen doesn't keep track of.
[/QUOTE]

In the bottom right corner of the top screen, you get small L and M icons for beating the level with Luigi and Mario, and a gold flag is you did get one.

[quote name='BLink']
In the bottom right corner of the top screen, you get small L and M icons for beating the level with Luigi and Mario, and a gold flag is you did get one.
[/QUOTE]

But, I believe, not until you beat the game, again. At least for the M & L icons

[quote name='foltzie']
But, I believe, not until you beat the game, again. At least for the M & L icons
[/QUOTE]

That I'm not sure about because I didn't really pay attention to it until I started beating all the levels the second time.

Hmm, I don't think I'll ever get to see any of that stuff you guys are putting in spoilers.
I've never been good at platformers, but I was good enough to get through the regular levels with the aid of a few white suits.
I think I'll just let my kid play with this now...have no incentive to keep going.:lol: Bring on Mario Kart.

Btw, how does streepass/spotpass work in this game? I was getting 'presents' just about everyday for a while, but
then they just stopped...

You also can't have
a Guide Block appear in any level. AKA, you can't die more than 5 times in a level in a row.

It's a very daunting task. At least you don't need
to get all of the Medals with Luigi to unlock it.

I'm through
Special World 3-3 with all Medals and Flags for Mario. I went back and did World 1 with Luigi and got all the Flags, but I don't know if it counted anything.

[quote name='KingBroly']You also can't have
a Guide Block appear in any level. AKA, you can't die more than 5 times in a level in a row.

[/QUOTE]

You don't have to get the glittering stars (beat everything without having the special block appear), just get all of the stars.
I know, I was offered the silver leaf, many a times.

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/11/16

I admit I used it on Bowser the first time I faced him (8-Castle that is)

How the heck do you track which character you beat a level with?
I beat all the normal levels with Mario and all the special levels with Luigi once he was unlocked. I got all the medalions in every world and for some reason only had 289 so I couldn't unlock the last castle (you need 290). Then I realized I missed one of the question box levels in the special world so I did that to get my 290. At that point I unlocked the last castle available and beat it. It went to a cut scene where you see bowser in a chair and princess in a cage. It was a picture I'd already seen earlier in the game. The game then restarts and when I load my save game I'm at World 8 and the last castle in the normal levels. I enter the castle as it's not showing I beat the level (which I already had prior to unlock the special worlds. I just got frustrated at that point and shut off the game because there was no clear directions on what I needed to do to officially beat the game.

Once i read this thread I see where it tracks if you got the gold flag. I did for most levels but didn't think it was a statistic that was being tracked so unfortunately I'll have to repeat many.

However like I mentioned above I don't see ANYWHERE that it mentions who you beat a level with and just to make sure I beat the first level with both characters and I still don't see where it's tracked. I see the M or L icons in the lower screen but that always reflects the opposite character of who you currently are because it is the button that allows you to choose characters.

So... how do you see who you need to use to beat level to get all the unlocks?

Edit: How do you know whether or not you used the special block that gives you invincibility? It never appears in the special worlds and I know I used it once or twice in the regular levels.

I don't like games like this that track all kinds of weird crap but then doesn't have a screen that shows you this information or a place where you can find what unlocks what

apparently
after you beat 8 Special Castle, it'll show you at the top of the screen if you've beaten a level with Luigi or not.

I just beat
Special World 3, All Medals and Flag Poles so far. The game is really in full swing now.

[quote name='KingBroly']apparently
after you beat 8 Special Castle, it'll show you at the top of the screen if you've beaten a level with Luigi or not.

I just beat
Special World 3, All Medals and Flag Poles so far. The game is really in full swing now.
[/QUOTE]

I don't know I beat 8 special castle and it just took me to 8 normal castle
the one where you start off on a raft looking thing; where when you beat it the first time bowser chases you up the castle
but I was pissed because I didn't understand what was going on with the storyline. Do I need to play normal 8 castle a second time after being 8 special castle?

I think this thread needs more spoiler concealers.
Anyways, anyone else feel it is unnecessarily tedious to unlock the final level?
I just felt the need to add another spoiler button.

Storyline? You're confused about the storyline?

Here's the storyline:
Bowser kidnapped Peach. Mario, save her.

EDIT: All Levels, All Medals, All Flag Poles, Triple Crown. After beating the game a second time, at the bottom of the top screen there are 3 logos for 1-1: An M logo, a Golden Flag and an L logo. Not necessarily in that order.

4 Glittering Stars at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KingBroly']Storyline? You're confused about the storyline?

Here's the storyline:
Bowser kidnapped Peach. Mario, save her.

EDIT: All Levels, All Medals, All Flag Poles, Triple Crown. After beating the game a second time, at the bottom of the top screen there are 3 logos for 1-1: An M logo, a Golden Flag and an L logo. Not necessarily in that order.

4 Glittering Stars at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Yes... wtf is going on with the storyline.
I'm rescued the damn princess twice. I've gotten all the coins, Found the stupid glitch to get 1000+ lives and the triple crowns and beaten all the normal levels in Worlds 1-8 with both Mario and Luigi and gotten the flagpoles and never once does it mention needing to do this.

Now I suppose I have to do the same in the Special levels but what's next? Beat all the levels while walking backwards? Beat them in under 60 secs? Beat them while playing the 3DS upside down and taking a crap?

bread's done
Back