3DS - Super Mario 3D Land Discussion Thread

[quote name='LeafPanda']This or Mario Kart can't decide.....[/QUOTE]

neither could I, so I got both!! :bouncy:

[quote name='GBAstar']Yes... wtf is going on with the storyline.
I'm rescued the damn princess twice. I've gotten all the coins, Found the stupid glitch to get 1000+ lives and the triple crowns and beaten all the normal levels in Worlds 1-8 with both Mario and Luigi and gotten the flagpoles and never once does it mention needing to do this.

Now I suppose I have to do the same in the Special levels but what's next? Beat all the levels while walking backwards? Beat them in under 60 secs? Beat them while playing the 3DS upside down and taking a crap?
[/QUOTE]

To beat the game...
Worlds 1-8, and Special Worlds 1-8. Then you have to beat 8-Castle again. Getting all the Medals with Mario and Luigi and all of the flag poles will unlock the last level, which is meaningless.

[quote name='KingBroly']To beat the game...
Worlds 1-8, and Special Worlds 1-8. Then you have to beat 8-Castle again. Getting all the Medals with Mario and Luigi and all of the flag poles will unlock the last level, which is meaningless.
[/QUOTE]

I was just curious if I've completed the ENTIRE game. This is what I've done so far:

I've gotten all gold medals + some playing extra "?" boxes. I have 309 as it stands. I have beaten every level [Normal and Special (including World 8 castle twice)] with both characters. I have gotten all the flag poles and unlocked the Gold flag level which I beat twice and got the flag pole at the end. I have three crowns for lives using a turtle shell glitch.

Is their anything else I need to do? One of the guys at BB wanted me to "street pass" him using my 3DS because he thinkgs you'll unlock extra things but I don't believe that adds anything you can't unlock otherwise does it?

Street Pass trades ?-Block levels, some of which you may not have seen, but in terms of core content you appear to have completed everything. You presumably have 5-stars on the start screen.

[quote name='GBAstar']I was just curious if I've completed the ENTIRE game. This is what I've done so far:

I've gotten all gold medals + some playing extra "?" boxes. I have 309 as it stands. I have beaten every level [Normal and Special (including World 8 castle twice)] with both characters. I have gotten all the flag poles and unlocked the Gold flag level which I beat twice and got the flag pole at the end. I have three crowns for lives using a turtle shell glitch.

Is their anything else I need to do? One of the guys at BB wanted me to "street pass" him using my 3DS because he thinkgs you'll unlock extra things but I don't believe that adds anything you can't unlock otherwise does it?
[/QUOTE]

Have you beaten all of the levels as both characters? Beating it as both characters and getting gold flag poles unlocks a final level.

[quote name='foltzie']Street Pass trades ?-Block levels, some of which you may not have seen, but in terms of core content you appear to have completed everything. You presumably have 5-stars on the start screen.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I have five stars on the start screen. I got that before I beat the last "unlocked gold flagpole" level though.

I am not sure if their is a pattern but random ?-Block Levels just continued to appear as I would just take a scroll through the main menu of levels. I think you only need what, 290 gold coins to unlock the last castle? I ended up with 309 and you may be able to get more if you keep waiting for more of the ? block levels to appear but I don't see the point of playing them if you only need 290 to beat the game and I don't think you get anything new by accumulating more.

[quote name='Gden']
Have you beaten all of the levels as both characters? Beating it as both characters and getting gold flag poles unlocks a final level.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I did all that ^ and beat the final level with both characters.

Guess I'm done and can retire this game. I really enjoyed it and poured hours into it but once you've beat it to completion I'm not seeing a lot of replay value.

So, just got around to finishing. Here are my thoughts:

It manages to marry 3D mario and 2D mario with tight controls and fixed camera angles, which feel much more natural than the awkward transitions from 3d to 2d gameplay seen in Mario Galaxy. Graphics are very simple, which is great for Mario, as too much clutter and detail on the screen might ruin the flow of a traditional Mario game. As charming as it was completing the first main part of the game, I couldn't shake the feeling that the game was being overly-simplified to appeal to an audience who will be playing Mario for the the first time in 20 or so years. I felt the same way about New Super Mario Bros. for the DS.

Then the second half of the game comes in the form of special worlds, and needless to say, I was relieved and delighted to see that this new section came with an increased difficulty, that felt neither too hard or too easy. Problem is, by this time, a lot of the gameplay designs don't feel as fresh, and much of the level designs are virtually identical to past levels, save for the proper difficulty. The game could've been more creative in ways to up the ante, but instead many levels relied on gimmicks like shadow mario chasing you or time decreasing drastically. Even more frustrating is that you might have to revisit older and simpler stages to obtain star coins, just so you can advance to the next special level. As for 3D, there are points when the level is designed in a way, such as top down views, that you feel like you're observing a tiny mushroom kingdom, but it's still only a gimmick like waggle motion controls.

So, all in all, this game is good, but the first half should've been the easy mode, and the second half should've been the normal mode because a lot the gameplay ideas end up feelings stale, since you must play them all. Mario games were never even difficult to begin with.

8/10

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='leveskikesko']So, just got around to finishing. Here are my thoughts:

It manages to marry 3D mario and 2D mario with tight controls and fixed camera angles, which feel much more natural than the awkward transitions from 3d to 2d gameplay seen in Mario Galaxy. Graphics are very simple, which is great for Mario, as too much clutter and detail on the screen might ruin the flow of a traditional Mario game. As charming as it was completing the first main part of the game, I couldn't shake the feeling that the game was being overly-simplified to appeal to an audience who will be playing Mario for the the first time in 20 or so years. I felt the same way about New Super Mario Bros. for the DS.

Then the second half of the game comes in the form of special worlds, and needless to say, I was relieved and delighted to see that this new section came with an increased difficulty, that felt neither too hard or too easy. Problem is, by this time, a lot of the gameplay designs don't feel as fresh, and much of the level designs are virtually identical to past levels, save for the proper difficulty. The game could've been more creative in ways to up the ante, but instead many levels relied on gimmicks like shadow mario chasing you or time decreasing drastically. Even more frustrating is that you might have to revisit older and simpler stages to obtain star coins, just so you can advance to the next special level. As for 3D, there are points when the level is designed in a way, such as top down views, that you feel like you're observing a tiny mushroom kingdom, but it's still only a gimmick like waggle motion controls.

So, all in all, this game is good, but the first half should've been the easy mode, and the second half should've been the normal mode because a lot the gameplay ideas end up feelings stale, since you must play them all. Mario games were never even difficult to begin with.

8/10[/QUOTE]

Well put.
I'm slowly going through the Special Levels, but the whole 'now do everything again with x, plus all these special (more of the same with some constraints)', so you can see the real ending is not doing it for me.

As you mentioned they should've sprinkled some of these 'special levels' as part of the main story, and perhaps then they wouldn't feel so rehashed. There's no joy in repetition...yet companies love to extend the life of their titles this way.

[quote name='leveskikesko']So, just got around to finishing. Here are my thoughts:

8/10[/QUOTE]

I think what You have to remember is that it is a handheld game, and you lose certain advantages of console games like a bigger screen more control options and the like. You also have to make the game easier enough to get into that someone can play it on the go and thus start and stop very quickly.

[quote name='ebilcanival']The first eight worlds are really easy, but after that the challenge picks up significantly.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about that. I've done the first special world and half of the second one and it just seems like there are more enemies. What does the silver leaf do? Is Mario turning into a statue when doing the butt stomp the only difference between the silver and regular leaf?

I can't find this game anywhere. Amazon is out and my local Best Buys, Targets and GameStops are all out. So annoying. I ended up buying Zelda instead (well, not instead - I'll buy this as soon as I can find it) even though I swore I wouldn't. Ugh. It sure is pretty though. I love the 3D effect.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I don't know about that. I've done the first special world and half of the second one and it just seems like there are more enemies. What does the silver leaf do? Is Mario turning into a statue when doing the butt stomp the only difference between the silver and regular leaf?[/QUOTE]

That statue harkens back to SMB3 where that was the power of the Tanooki suit. Like SMB3, you are invincible while in statue form.

I FINALLY got a copy of this game. I can't remember the last time I had this much trouble finding such a popular game. I played 1 level so far and this game makes me wicked happy.

[quote name='Javery']I FINALLY got a copy of this game. I can't remember the last time I had this much trouble finding such a popular game. I played 1 level so far and this game makes me wicked happy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this is one of the only games I can remember that has actually brought a smile to my face.

bread's done
Back