3DS XL worth the upgrade?

[quote name='Yamato']I don't find the XL screen to be bad at all and don't notice any issues, but if you are particularly concerned about that then it could be a factor. The XL is heavier and has better build quality and a better hinge (perhaps better buttons too). I am really digging the XL and the huge screen.

The XL at times feels too heavy though and my hands get uncomfortable (probably my small hands rather than button placement or anything) and it sometimes makes me wish that I went with the 3DS.

Overall you should pick your console based on the size and form factor, not the color. You won't even notice the color of the console when you're playing a game, and besides, you can buy skins if it really bothers you. You could even make your own.

http://www.gelaskins.com/store/gaming[/QUOTE]
The XL actually feels lighter to me because the weight is distributed in a greater surface area than the original 3DS, which feels really dense and would cramp my hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the XL and for me it's much more comfortable to hold and play at a distance (helps eye strain) than the regular 3DS.

I recently picked up a fantastic padded grip/case for it that my brother recommended:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008XHCLFO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It makes the XL have a nice all around cushion for protection and the cushioned bottom grip makes holding the XL even more easier to hold. Highly recommended if you are looking for a case for your XL.

[quote name='ratzombie']The XL actually feels lighter to me because the weight is distributed in a greater surface area than the original 3DS, which feels really dense and would cramp my hands.[/QUOTE]
Makes sense. I've never held a 3DS for more than a minute so I can't really compare.
[quote name='antlp89']I love the XL and for me it's much more comfortable to hold and play at a distance (helps eye strain) than the regular 3DS.

I recently picked up a fantastic padded grip/case for it that my brother recommended:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008XHCLFO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It makes the XL have a nice all around cushion for protection and the cushioned bottom grip makes holding the XL even more easier to hold. Highly recommended if you are looking for a case for your XL.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm going to check out some youtube videos and reviews and see how I like it.

So, the XL has been out for what, 7 months now? Are we less than a year away from the "not quite XL, but bigger than the original" 3ds? Maybe with better resolution? Or would that kill the games? Did the Gameboy Micro have the best resolution among the gba's?

[quote name='nickerous']So, the XL has been out for what, 7 months now? Are we less than a year away from the "not quite XL, but bigger than the original" 3ds? Maybe with better resolution? Or would that kill the games? Did the Gameboy Micro have the best resolution among the gba's?[/QUOTE]

If they want to go bigger than the XL, that's fine, but smaller? I hope they just let the regular 3DS die off, if they haven't already (don't actually know if it's still available).

And no, the GBA Micro's screen had the same resolution as all of 'em. It was the worst GBA compatible system, as had the smallest screen and wasn't backwards compatible, and lost the handy flip too.

[quote name='Wolfpup']If they want to go bigger than the XL, that's fine, but smaller? I hope they just let the regular 3DS die off, if they haven't already (don't actually know if it's still available).

And no, the GBA Micro's screen had the same resolution as all of 'em. It was the worst GBA compatible system, as had the smallest screen and wasn't backwards compatible, and lost the handy flip too.[/QUOTE]

It's screen was pretty high quality though, and it had real backlighting unlike the original model of the SP (And of course the original GBA). I would say it's the second-best GBA model after the revamped SP.

I upgraded to an XL when they launched, and just yesterday played a normal 3DS for the first time since then and HOLY CRAP does that screen seem tiny!

Definitely go XL if you can.

Yeah, no downside IMO. And yeah, just seems absurdly tiny. I had a time going from my DS XL and PSP to the 3DS, and of course Vita isn't helping either :lol: The 3DS XL screens are much more reasonable sized and graphics look great.

The resolution still looks weird to me. It always looks washed out. Do DS games look all right?

Smaller would be better, the 3DS is too bulky. Thinner, maybe, not necessarily smaller.

I just upgraded to a 3DS XL about 2 weekes ago from a regular 3DS. WOW there is a huge difference, I love the bigger screens and the XL feels so much better in my hands. I would highly recommend upgrading if you are thinking about it!

My son needs the smaller 3ds. He's 6 and looked uncomfortable playing my xl. I wouldn't choose to play on his smaller one either. If you've got adult sized hands, the xl is really the way to go unless you're cash strapped.

I'm torn on switching from my launch 3ds to an XL. I'm thinking only way I will know for sure which I would like the best is to just buy an xl and spend some time with it. I know the speakers are quieter on the XL but I can't really tell how bad they are because I was in a gamestop playing a demo unit. This is my primary concern but I do like my 3ds overall but I'm not crazy about the buttons (especially the dpad) and the rounded edges on the XL look far more comfortable. I'm also wondering if my ambassador games will transfer over to the 4 gb XL or if I would be better off just placing the 2 gb from my 3ds in the XL if that will work.

I think you can transfer those games, but I haven't, because Nintendo idiotically only lets you transfer stuff a limited number of times-I'd *NEVER* spend money on Nintendo's stores because of that.

I haven't noticed any volume difference between the two models, though I wasn't paying attention for it. I like the XL waaaaay more.

You have to transfer the games over to the new system, you can't just swap SD cards. I really wish Nintendo would let you share games on at least 2 consoles.

[quote name='jbuck138']Ambassador games will transfer over. My save files did not.[/QUOTE]
If you're talking about the save files from the Ambassador games, they do transfer over. My saves are still there for all the games I've played.

If you want the bigger sd card, transfer everything from the 2gb to the 4gb, put the 4gb in the old 3ds and do the system transfer. I upgraded to a 16gb card on my original 3ds before I bought the xl. Upgrading sd cards don't count as a transfer as far as I know.

So if I had a 3DS with the ambassador games and got rid of it, will I be able to download those games if I bought a XL?

[quote name='jza1218']So if I had a 3DS with the ambassador games and got rid of it, will I be able to download those games if I bought a XL?[/QUOTE]
I would think not. The ambassador games are like all the other online content, tied to each individual system, right? The only way to get ambassador games on the xl is to do a system transfer from an ambassasor 3DS system. If you do not have the system, it appears you are sol. That's my two cents, anyway.

What's a good price for a 3dsxl? I'm kind of tempted to buy one, since some of the mario and donkey kong games look cool. But I don't like the $200 price tag. Can I expect any good sales in the near future?

[quote name='midfield99']What's a good price for a 3dsxl? I'm kind of tempted to buy one, since some of the mario and donkey kong games look cool. But I don't like the $200 price tag. Can I expect any good sales in the near future?[/QUOTE]

Well the last week of March Target had the XL's for $159.99 then towards the end of April for $179.99, and Best Buy has had them for $189.99 in the last week or so.

If you can hold out a while Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D comes out May 24th, and Animal Crossing June 9th either of which could spur a sale. E3 is also the same week as Animal Crossing (June 11-13) and they could announce a price drop (doubtful but you never know).

Donkey Kong Returns sounds like a lot of fun. So that is tempting. But I just don't like the price tag. I do kind of wish there was a donkey kong bundle though. That would be cool.

[quote name='midfield99']What's a good price for a 3dsxl? I'm kind of tempted to buy one, since some of the mario and donkey kong games look cool. But I don't like the $200 price tag. Can I expect any good sales in the near future?[/QUOTE]

BB has them for $179.99 in their ad through close of business on Sunday.

Yeah I wound up picking up an XL. Gonna wait to open it until we see if Nintendo has another free game promo like the one that just ended.

I'm thinking of buying my own 3DS XL soon because I'm tired of playing on my son's regular 3ds (both the screen size, and the sharing hehe). Since I read that many people in this thread have done the transfer, I have a question. If I take my son's regular 3DS with Ambassador status, and transfer it to the new XL (and from what I've read online, the ambassador games transfer just fine), what will happen to the original 3ds that is his? Will both systems now have the ambassador games available to play (assuming I make a copy of the SD card since I know both systems need that or whatever)? Or will it move everything to the new XL and wipe the old 3DS?

Thanks!

The original 3ds will be like a new one bought at a store. Nothing is left on it. You have to go through the original setup again to use it.

bread's done
Back