4 million Wii consoles sold worldwide! The craze continues!

I've seen PS3 at most Targets I've been to, at least 2-3 just sitting behind the glass. I was surprised to see it, but seeing the big $599.99 tag, I can understand why it's there.

[quote name='zewone']I live in CA, I saw 6 - 60GB PS3s at Walmart and 2 -60GBs and a 20GB at CircuitCity on the 23rd at around 10PM![/quote]

Thanks for ruining it.

I still have never seen a PS3 in a store, but I do see more people actually asking about the Wii.

I still say it's about the price.

Pretend both systems were $250. Or both were $500. Whatever.
If they were the same price, people would be choosing PS3 first, and Wii second.

Anyway, I'm happy that Nintendo is kicking ass.

[quote name='dallow']Thanks for ruining it.

[/QUOTE]

Ha. Your whole "the North is a bunch of Sony hating bastards" theory falls apart.

hehe. Just trying to start some bizarre angry conversation for no good reason.

[quote name='dallow']
Pretend both systems were $250. Or both were $500. Whatever.
If they were the same price, people would be choosing PS3 first, and Wii second.

[/quote]

I wouldn't choose PS3 first. Im all about the controls.

I'm happy for Nintendo's sales, as it'll draw in more developers realizing that a user base that high is worth making a game for. In the end, it'll mean more games for the Wii.

As for the PS3, it's kind of starting to remind me of the Saturn. There will be good games for it eventually, but making the console worth it will depend on the # of exclusives that are great. Sony's a big company, they aren't going to let the thing sink without reinventing their marketing strategy a few times.

As for "console wars," I could care less except for one point. With the gap widening between the 360 and PS3 in terms of user base, more developers will make their games multiplatform in order to maximize sales. I want the great games that would otherwise be PS3 exclusives show up on the 360, so I never have to shell out the dough for another console. Other than that, I'm starting to wonder if the industry press either has nothing else to report on than fanboyism, or if they're just buying into the corporate competitive bullshit to seem edgy or something. It's getting old.

[quote name='schuerm26']I wouldn't choose PS3 first. Im all about the controls.[/quote]

Me too (i mean about the controls), price helped though.

Originally, I wanted a Wii first, and I'd get the PS3 eventually down the road.
I thought the new kind of fun I could have with the Wii would satisfy me, but

Well, I got both right away. And so far, PS3 is tops. Sixaxis ain't so bad, works well in some games. I really like it in Blast Factor.

Best way to go is one of each though.

[quote name='David85']Well no shit if they were both the same price. I wouldn't pay $500 for outdated tech that the Wii is.[/quote]

What if the Wii was HD for $500?

[quote name='ahmedmalik']What if the Wii was HD for $500?[/QUOTE]

Being that I have two TVs, one being at least 10 years old and the other was one I got at Walmart for $90 that would still be pointless.

But what if Sony wasn't a fuck up and Nintendo didn't piss off third parties with carts on the N64? What if Nintendo went online last gen? What if Sega stayed in the hardware biz? What ifs are lame and pointless.

[quote name='David85']Well no shit if they were both the same price. I wouldn't pay $500 for outdated tech that the Wii is.[/quote]

Yeah, proves my point.

[quote name='dallow']Yeah, proves my point.[/QUOTE]

Your point is moronic. It's like saying if a steak at a five star restraunt cost the same as one at the local Outback, which would you pick? In the hypothetical situation where a Wii costs $500, it would have a bigger hard drive, be capable of at least 720p, would have 360/PS3 level graphics, and would have a slew of more features then it currently does. You pay more, you get more, end of story.

[quote name='furyk']Your point is moronic. It's like saying if a steak at a five star restraunt cost the same as one at the local Outback, which would you pick? In the hypothetical situation where a Wii costs $500, it would have a bigger hard drive, be capable of at least 720p, would have 360/PS3 level graphics, and would have a slew of more features then it currently does. You pay more, you get more, end of story.[/quote]

Exactly. For an extra $250 on the console, we would get a hard drive and HD. The difference then would be the controls. And everyone would pick the Wii.

Your steak example is pretty good, but it's important to note that the steak at a 5star restaurant is pretty much just a higher quality than the Outback one. The PS3 though, isn't just a higher quality than the Wii, the Wii is different. A more apt comparison would be something like getting steak at outback verses chicken at a 5 star restaurant. Yes, they are both food, but if you really liked steak you might chose the steak over the chicken just because you like the taste better, regardless how fancy the presentation of the chicken is, and how good it is compartively to chicken made at Outback, you still prefer steak.

So people do feel the Wii is on a lower tier than the PS3. Controls are cool, but not an extra 250 cool.

So many people bitch about the PS3, but would gladly take one if possible.
At least when I bitch about service at a nice resturant, I don't go back even if someone else is paying.

I don't bitch about any system however, really just games, or lack there of.
Both systems have a game drought, which is expected, which is why I'm on these boards at all.

Given a PS3 or a Wii at $500, I would buy neither.

Given a PS3 or a Wii as a gift (free), I would pick a PS3 knowing I can return it for money and a Wii. Not given the choice to return, I would still pick the PS3 for the novelty of owning a $600 machine, and then buy and play the Wii.

Given the choice of either owning/playing only PS3 or only Wii, I would choose Wii.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']Given a PS3 or a Wii at $500, I would buy neither.

Given a PS3 or a Wii as a gift (free), I would pick a PS3 knowing I can return it for money and a Wii. Not given the choice to return, I would still pick the PS3 for the novelty of owning a $600 machine, and then buy and play the Wii.

Given the choice of either owning/playing only PS3 or only Wii, I would choose Wii.[/quote]
I like your honest response. Thanks.

If I could only choose one, I'd go with the PS3 myself.
Originally, I wanted a Wii, but now wish I had waited before buying it.

I can't help being an early adopter.

[quote name='furyk']Your point is moronic. It's like saying if a steak at a five star restraunt cost the same as one at the local Outback, which would you pick? In the hypothetical situation where a Wii costs $500, it would have a bigger hard drive, be capable of at least 720p, would have 360/PS3 level graphics, and would have a slew of more features then it currently does. You pay more, you get more, end of story.[/QUOTE]

drfuck is obviously a Sony fanboy who is just here to ftry to get people to admit that the PS3 is worth buying because no one else wants one. That's when the ignore feature comes in handy.

And I trust G4 as much as I trust President Bush or anything Drfunk has to say.

Walked into Gamestop and a shipment of PS3s came in, the guy was like "We have PS3's...anyone?"

One guy was like "If they didn't want 600 bucks for it, sure"

Though they did sell quickly another guy bought one, and a woman came in trading her 360 getting the 2nd one. Though there was a point where someone asked the guy which was selling faster, and he just said, the Wii goes much faster and harder to find than a PS3.

[quote name='David85']And I trust G4 as much as I trust President Bush or anything Drfunk has to say.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if anything the announcement of 3.19 million Wiis by G4 gives this story less credibility, not more. We'll have to wait until probably the 4th to get a solid press release from Nintendo. They'll either say "we did it!" or "Nintendo Wii sells a staggering X less then 4 million".

Speaking of which....

[quote name='dallow']So people do feel the Wii is on a lower tier than the PS3. Controls are cool, but not an extra 250 cool.

So many people bitch about the PS3, but would gladly take one if possible.
At least when I bitch about service at a nice resturant, I don't go back even if someone else is paying.

I don't bitch about any system however, really just games, or lack there of.
Both systems have a game drought, which is expected, which is why I'm on these boards at all.[/QUOTE]

You've got it totally backwards. For the extra $250, people feel the PS3 should give a totally better experience then the Wii on all levels. It has a bigger hard drive, better online service, and Blu-Ray, but as of right now the games aren't nearly as good as the Wii's selection, backwards compatability is Fed in the A with the upscaling issues, and the downloadable PS1 games require you to have $700 worth of hardware. A PS3 should be on a different tier then a Wii simply because you could buy two Wiis for the price of one PS3. Trying to turn that into "Da PS3 = WInnah cuz no1 wantz 2 pay $500 4 teh Wii" is 43 flavors of stupid.

If the PS3 and Wii were $500, with equal graphics and everything else being equal (If Blu-Ray is Included, Wii needs a High Capacity Drive)

I'd take Wii without hesitation.

[quote name='furyk'] You've got it totally backwards. For the extra $250, people feel the PS3 should give a totally better experience then the Wii on all levels. It has a bigger hard drive, better online service, and Blu-Ray, but as of right now the games aren't nearly as good as the Wii's selection, backwards compatability is Fed in the A with the upscaling issues, and the downloadable PS1 games require you to have $700 worth of hardware. A PS3 should be on a different tier then a Wii simply because you could buy two Wiis for the price of one PS3. Trying to turn that into "Da PS3 = WIn
nah cuz no1 wantz 2 pay $500 4 teh Wii" is 43 flavors of stupid.[/quote]
The Wii does NOT have a good selection of games right now.
There's about 3, maybe stretching it with 4, that are worth even owning.

Other than Zelda, there's nothing lasting about any of the launch titles. The other ones worth getting are there because I feel like I should have some more Wii games to justify the purchase.

Same for PS3.

Forget the price points, if you could only play one forever, I'm assuming you'd get the Wii.

I feel most Americans would choose the PS3 if they had to choose only one.

I own all 3 systems and I can say that the Wii is incredibly fun, the 360 is by far the most innovative and player-friendly console and the PS3 is an overpriced PSP. I'm looking to return or sell my PS3 as soon as I finish resistance.

[quote name='dallow']The Wii does NOT have a good selection of games right now.
There's about 3, maybe stretching it with 4, that are worth even owning.

Other than Zelda, there's nothing lasting about any of the launch titles. The other ones worth getting are there because I feel like I should have some more Wii games to justify the purchase.

Same for PS3.

Forget the price points, if you could only play one forever, I'm assuming you'd get the Wii.

I feel most Americans would choose the PS3 if they had to choose only one.[/QUOTE]

The Wii has five games that I would buy in the same condition two years into the lifecycle of the system that are Nintendo only experiences in Zelda, Elebits, Trauma Center, Super Swing Golf, and Excite Truck. The PS3 has only one in Resistance (unless you start talking multi-platform games in which both the Wii and PS3 gain a few more titles).

Your argument of "forget the price point" is like saying "forget the PS3 can play Blu Ray discs and has free internet play". You can't divorce the price from the total package the same way you can't divorce features from the total package. Your argument is fundamentally flawed because of that.

[quote name='David85']drfuck is obviously a Sony fanboy who is just here to ftry to get people to admit that the PS3 is worth buying because no one else wants one. That's when the ignore feature comes in handy.

And I trust G4 as much as I trust President Bush or anything Drfunk has to say.[/quote]

WHAT? Did you even READ what I wrote? I am the furthest thing from a Sony fanboy. I currently own every Nintendo console except the Virtual Boy, and I don't own a PS2, PS3, X360, or Xbox. I am pretty much the definition of a Nintendo fanboy. I HATE the PS3.

I was AGREEING with furyk, and actually going further to improve his analogy in favor of the Wii. He compared them to a steak at two different restaurants, which would imply that both the PS3 and Wii are the same thing, but the PS3 is just a better quality/more expensive version, which is NOT the case. They are more like two different foods and two different restaurants. Even if you have the option of eating the food at the higher priced restaurant, you may choose the food at the lower priced restaurant because you like the type of food they are serving better, which is most certainly the case for me.

But oh well, you have me on ignore so you won't be reading this anyway.

[quote name='drfunk85']WHAT? Did you even READ what I wrote? I am the furthest thing from a Sony fanboy. I currently own every Nintendo console except the Virtual Boy, and I don't own a PS2, PS3, X360, or Xbox. I am pretty much the definition of a Nintendo fanboy. I HATE the PS3.

I was AGREEING with furyk, and actually going further to improve his analogy in favor of the Wii. He compared them to a steak at two different restaurants, which would imply that both the PS3 and Wii are the same thing, but the PS3 is just a better quality/more expensive version, which is NOT the case. They are more like two different foods and two different restaurants. Even if you have the option of eating the food at the higher priced restaurant, you may choose the food at the lower priced restaurant because you like the type of food they are serving better, which is most certainly the case for me.

But oh well, you have me on ignore so you won't be reading this anyway.[/QUOTE]

I think he must've confused you with Dallow...

Well the next-gen Dragon Quest just got announced for the Wii so alas, that number is going to grow quite a bit (well in Japan at least).

[quote name='ahmedmalik']I wouldn't count the PS3 out yet. Among mainstreamer gamers, there are a lot of people who buy into the 'playstation' brand name rather then listen to what Time magazine has to say.

These are gangster type-OG motherfuckers who buy these things simply and only for graphics. People who are full-blooded white, but act like they were raised on Tupac and Three 6 Mafia. These people are the ones you haven't accounted for and they're not going to sit around 20 hours on line for a PS3, because to them, it's just a videogame console. They're rather be getting fucked up, getting drunk, and getting high on methodone and oxycotins. These specific 'consumers' will get the PS3 when it's good and readily available.

I believe these are the consumers that Sony is relying on. I mean look at that PSP christmas site. They sure as hell weren't aiming it at us. I mean how many people around CAG were necklaces like that? But I've seen people out there who do wear that kind of stuff and there are a lot of them.

Wait until next year when they get their money together and slowly start buying the PS3 en masse. In the end of this console lifetime, I think the PS3 will be below the lifetime sales of the Wii by about 20%. It'll catch up regardless of the price. Just let some of the crazier looking PS3 games to hit and see what happens.[/quote]

100% true I see it all the time majority of people who have a psp and they all want the PS3.

[quote name='jer7583']If the PS3 and Wii were $500, with equal graphics and everything else being equal (If Blu-Ray is Included, Wii needs a High Capacity Drive)

I'd take Wii without hesitation.[/quote]
that equal graphics part changes everything.

[quote name='crazytalkx']Well the next-gen Dragon Quest just got announced for the Wii so alas, that number is going to grow quite a bit (well in Japan at least).[/QUOTE]

No, a spin-off was announced for Wii. THE next-gen Dragon Quest is for DS.

Here in Jacksonville, FL you dont need to look to hard or long for a PS3, they are just sitting there for days, I have seen them this past week at both Bestbuy and Target, on the other hand I have yet to see a Wii sitting there, they sell out all the time.

[quote name='SMMM']No, a spin-off was announced for Wii. THE next-gen Dragon Quest is for DS.[/QUOTE]

Aye, you're right. Should still help though.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Nintendo is the one that is generally more conservative with their numbers. I've never seen a source for anyone claiming they said 8 million by the end of the year.

I'm going to go ahead and say its a false claim unless someone shows some evidence. As long as I can remember, around the neighborhood of E3, they said 4 million by the end of the year, 6 million by the end of march 07.

Now some rumors came out late summer saying they were way ahead of schedule, and that they would maybe 6-8 by the end of the year, but those were purely speculative[/quote]

I remember hearing this, but i dont think it came from sony. I think it was speculation.

[quote name='battleroyal33']Here in Jacksonville, FL you dont need to look to hard or long for a PS3, they are just sitting there for days, I have seen them this past week at both Bestbuy and Target, on the other hand I have yet to see a Wii sitting there, they sell out all the time.[/quote]

I can say the same here in Bellingham, Wa. I looked in four very different stores, with tons of people in every single one, around every single one and nobody was looking at them. there were 2 in one store and one in the others. As well, absolutely no Wii's.

Well I just walked into K-mart with of my buddies after playing his nintendo and they had ps3s on the shelf and the lady said they had wii's in the back, so I got me a Wii, since lauch I have seen ps3's on the shelf but no wii on shelf or in stock until today, I was about to give up trying until the Wii was commonly on the shelf.

[quote name='furyk']The Wii has five games that I would buy in the same condition two years into the lifecycle of the system that are Nintendo only experiences in Zelda, Elebits, Trauma Center, Super Swing Golf, and Excite Truck. The PS3 has only one in Resistance (unless you start talking multi-platform games in which both the Wii and PS3 gain a few more titles).

Your argument of "forget the price point" is like saying "forget the PS3 can play Blu Ray discs and has free internet play". You can't divorce the price from the total package the same way you can't divorce features from the total package. Your argument is fundamentally flawed because of that.[/quote]
It's pretty simple to get rid of the price.

Just pretend someone was offering a free Wii or free PS3, provided it'd be the last system they play.
I strongly feel more would opt for the PS3. On this board of course, that wouldn't be the case.

As for the other guy, I think it's the first time I've ever been accused of being a fanboy. That's kind of weird.
It feels like the first time someone asked me if I was gay or straight. It was a very interesting thing.

As for game choice, I think I'm just way more picky about my games.
I would never buy any of the Wii games save for Zelda and the collection of Metal Slug games for full price.

And I'll be using the GC controller to play Metal Slug, which is odd, because I bought the Wii to play games with this cool Wiimote controller, not my battle-weary GC one.
I really hope more games start to use the controller in a more innovative way, because it isn't that great yet.

i was in an EB games in Fayettville, NY yesterday. 5 ps3's sitting there and no one gave a shit, all wanted a Wii. Interesting hmmmmm?

There were at least a dozen on the floor of Best Buy with 3 employees standing there looking at how they don't move.

[quote name='dallow']That's good, seems like PS3s are readily available now.

Time for the Wiis to step up.[/QUOTE]

They've made close to 4 million Wiis worldwide and close to 1 million PS3s. I seriously doubt the PS3 being readily avalible is a good thing at this point.

Yeah the PS3s being in a lot of places now is not a good thing. They are available because no one wants them and everyone wants a Wii.

[quote name='furyk'].......................

They've made close to 4 million Wiis worldwide and close to 1 million PS3s. I seriously doubt the PS3 being readily avalible is a good thing at this point.[/quote]

Oh, internet sarcasm eludes me once again.

Guess I'll go back to using the backslash "sarcasm" thing.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']According to VGCharts - the Wii has now sold over 3.5 million consoles.[/quote]
Keep us posted!

:roll:

[quote name='seanr1221']Anyone know how many Gamecubes were sold by now when it launched?[/quote]

I'd like to know too.
The Cube did extremely well in it's first few months though, before, well, you know.

bread's done
Back