$40 gift card with purchase of Bayonetta & Darksiders or $10 for 1 + $5 off in-store

thegame85

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
http://toysrus.shoplocal.com/toysrus/default.aspx?action=entryflash&

Buy both Darksiders and Bayonetta and get a $40 gift card, buy just one and get a $10 gift card...Good through Thursday 1/7/2010

Edit #2: Also wanted to let you guys know of a pair of $5 off coupons in a little booklet Toys R Us has at their registers. It looks like this:
th_DSC00915.jpg

It has two $5 off coupons for various things, it says Video Game Hardware but not software, should work...look for them at the regular register:
DSC00916.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Killbomb']I don't even bother trying to price match at Best Buy. I'm getting points on my TRU Rewards card as well as getting the deal without hassle plus TRU has been having the best deals on games during release week for a while now so it's not like the gift card is going to go unused.[/QUOTE]

The purchases made from 12/25 to 1/31 don't add to your TRU reward total as the next period starts on the 2/1/10.

[quote name='JCNY23']The purchases made from 12/25 to 1/31 don't add to your TRU reward total as the next period starts on the 2/1/10.[/QUOTE]

Not only that, but the TRU reward card only pays back $5 for every $150 spent. With RZ and Gamer Zone, you get $10 for every $150 spent, plus the base points. There is allegedly also some kind of points bonus for one or both games (although it appears to be only in the printed game guides in store), which could make this a fairly lucrative PM.

Just PM this at 2 BB in NYC

First one I went to on 44th and 5th Ave, the cashier called a manager. The manager then said that TRU was not a competitor of theirs, after I showed them the policy I printed. I let it go and left, altho that's pretty dumb imo since the nearest TRU was 3-4 blocks away.

Second BB I went to was on 23rd and 6th Ave, cashier called a manager. I showed the printout for TRU ad and then their policy. Manager walks away for 5 min. Comes back and said that he can't give me the gc, but can take $20 off each game instead. Instant deduction > gc anyways.

Darksiders - $39.99 after $20 deduction
Bayonetta - $39.99 after $20 deduction
Total - $87.08 after tax + 300 bonus RWZ pts

I was able to PM with no problem at the Best Buy in Signal Hill, California. All I had to do was show them my TRU Reward Zone Card (since the deal was for TRU RZ Customers) and they matched it with no problems. I used the BB GC to purchase Divinity II for the 360. I guess it depends on which BB you go to. I am a regular customer at my location and know everyone on staff. Maybe thats why they didnt question it. It was my first time ever asking a store to PM and the experience was painless. I should've become a cheapass long ago. Thanks for showing me the way fellow CAGers. :applause:

450 BB RZ points FTW!!!

tried to pm at a local bb. had to talk to 2 different csr and a manager. it went from "you need the actual sales ad to price match", "we do not price match gift cards", to and this is no joke "we do not price match most video games"...

First time i have been denied a pm at this bb (done 5 other times)

Im going back tomorrow with a print out of their price match policy and a print out of the 40 ad (told them to look it up online)...

[quote name='Killbomb']I don't even bother trying to price match at Best Buy. I'm getting points on my TRU Rewards card as well as getting the deal without hassle plus TRU has been having the best deals on games during release week for a while now so it's not like the gift card is going to go unused.[/QUOTE]

Same here, I wouldnt even attempt a price match there - the Bestbuy customer service by me is horrible. I understand that none of the employees want to be there, but I have problems with the simplest stuff - checking the back for an item the store supposedly has in stock, in-store pickups, even buying something.

It's gotten out of hand to the point where I rarely shop there anymore, I used to buy all of my games & DVDs there. Great to see Toys R Us and Amazon step up their game (wow that was an awful pun yet I felt compelled to type it anyway).

Tried price matching at 2 Best Buys in the area. King of Prussia, PA, wouldn't accept it even with the ad and a printout of their own policy, and the manager went on to claim that they couldn't match "club reward deals" for other stores, similar to some concerns I saw earlier. However, the people at the Plymouth Meeting BB were more then happy to take my money: both games for $40 and a $40 gift card. I know which one I'll be shopping at in the future...

Thanks OP.

Why does TRU charge tax on the gift card?
Bayonetta: $59.99 -$20 = $39.99
Darksiders: $59.99 -$20 = $39.99
Gift Card: $40

Total: $119.98 x 8.75% Tax = $130.48

It should total: $79.98 x 8.75% Tax = $86.98 PLUS $40 Gift Card
Grand Total of $126.98

I went to Best Buy today to price match and the female associate told me they can't match deals with gift cards. I showed her the print out of the policy and she read it, then told me they can't match the deal because Best Buy doesn't have a Rewards R Us program. We went back and forth, she went to talk to the manager and came back and said the same thing. The manager wouldn't even come over to talk to me. I called Customer Relations and they told me that she was wrong about matching the deal because of the TRU Rewards R Us program but since the deal could be considered a "bundle" then they would not be able to honor the price match. I walked right over to TRU, same shopping center, and got the games there instead. The guy noticed that the gift cards would have an expiration date for next week so he said it was better to give me a GC without an expiration date. I've never had any problems at TRU and I'm thinking I won't be going to Best Buy unless I really have to. It's a real shame as another Best Buy that I used to frequent had really nice staff and the managers were always on the sales floor asking people if they needed assistance.

[quote name='dax93']Why does TRU charge tax on the gift card?
Bayonetta: $59.99 -$20 = $39.99
Darksiders: $59.99 -$20 = $39.99
Gift Card: $40

Total: $119.98 x 8.75% Tax = $130.48

It should total: $79.98 x 8.75% Tax = $86.98 PLUS $40 Gift Card
Grand Total of $126.98[/QUOTE]

I noticed that this morning as well. But when I returned the games later that day after I managed to get Best Buy to PM the ad, TRU credited me for the full tax amount even though I only got $39.99 for each game (as expected).

I imagine that the computer treats the transaction like you're paying for two $59.99 games, ergo the tax must be on the full value of $119.98. The $40 GC is merely a bonus item that they give you for free and the receipt indicates the lower prices purely for return purposes. Nevertheless, it still feels very unsettling, especially since (1) the $40 giftcard applies to the post-tax total on your next purchase so getting "taxed" on it feels wrong, and (2) I only got charged tax on $79.98 at Best Buy.

I've not PM'd at Target, but they're really picky when it comes to price matching. I'm sure some CAGs have had them turn down price matching a simple sale let alone something like this.

Anyone playing Darksiders? I rented it and I'm at the Twilight Cathedral right now. I'm really liking it so far. My only complaint is that the enemies are fairly easy (I'm playing it on normal).

I'm playing the 360 version. I wanted to get PS3, but they were all rented. I did notice some tearing at the beginning of the game, but since I've gotten deeper I really haven't noticed. So if it's there, it's not that much of an issue.

edit: I spoke too soon. Right after you mentioned that I started seeing the screen tearing again. It's pretty bad in this particular part and I'm very aware of it now. THANKS A LOT!!! lol....I'll let you know if it keeps up or if it's just this part of the game.

[quote name='jjmai']Anyone tried to price match at Target or Walmart?[/QUOTE]I tried Walmart today and the electronics guy said the manager should be able to do it with no problems. I went to customer service, explained it to the workers there and they said they would get the manager and see what he'll do for me. A supervisor got on the phone, talked with the manager and said they could only match the price on the ad, not the free gift card. I'm sure someone else will have better luck. After this and striking out at Best Buy, I just went to TRU and got it done there.

Just to try to clarify this deal a bit more. The gift cards you get for this deal shouldn't expire. We didn't get any special gc's at our store and so we just use regular gc's which don't have any kind of date on them.

Also, someone mentioned being nice might lead to the cashier taking the amount off the total and ignoring the gift card. I'd guess that's about a 1 in a million chance since the register automatically drops the prices of the games to $40 each and then prompts for the gc. I wouldn't even know how to tell it to not give a gc.

And this deal wasn't today only, was it? I didn't pay attention since I'm off the rest of the week, but it'd be nice if the OP included promo dates.

[quote name='gertle627']just to try to clarify this deal a bit more. The gift cards you get for this deal shouldn't expire. We didn't get any special gc's at our store and so we just use regular gc's which don't have any kind of date on them.

Also, someone mentioned being nice might lead to the cashier taking the amount off the total and ignoring the gift card. I'd guess that's about a 1 in a million chance since the register automatically drops the prices of the games to $40 each and then prompts for the gc. I wouldn't even know how to tell it to not give a gc.

And this deal wasn't today only, was it? I didn't pay attention since i'm off the rest of the week, but it'd be nice if the op included promo dates.[/quote]

my bad!

[quote name='thegame85']It's good for the whole week[/QUOTE]
1/7 is the last day actually. The cover of the flyer says prices are effective 1/3-1/7

I went to all 3 of the Best Buys in my area, and was very close to getting the deal on the third try.

First BB: No, right away.
Second: Can't match because its for the rewards program, and said he didn't see the competition.
Third: going to give it to me......sold out of Bayonetta

Going to give this a shot tomorrow at my BB. I hope to get Bayonetta for 360 and Darksiders for PS3...Toys R Us is right across the street so they should have no problems seeing this as competition.

[quote name='dino88']Anyone playing Darksiders? I rented it and I'm at the Twilight Cathedral right now. I'm really liking it so far. My only complaint is that the enemies are fairly easy (I'm playing it on normal).[/QUOTE]

I was much more excited for Darksiders, and I think I've gotten pretty far for a days worth. I'm very close to fighting
the giant bat chick in the Cathedral
as well.

At this point, I wouldn't say that game is worth $60, but $40 isn't took bad, and I should be able to resell it for that much sometime down the line. The game does get a bit repetitive with the "B" death animations and the same re-appearing enemies, but the voice acting is really good, and the world they've created is bad ass, so all in all, I'd say it's a solid game.

There is a decent amount of screen tearing though (I'm playing on 360); usually whenever you're trying to pan the camera around at a fast pace.

Price matched, no problem, at Durham, NC BB. Though, I wanted to go in today and exchange my 360 version of Darksiders for a PS3 version. I didn't open the 360 ver. so I hope they don't give me too much trouble.

BB pricematched my offer this morning.

Got ps3 darksider and 360 bayonetta, asked them if they could match it...

Manager thought about it and told the rep to take 20 off each game and sell me a 40 GC. (Gift Cards arn't taxed) Reducing the cost a bit more. I went to BB since I already had a 30 dollar card. Think it worked out okay.

I tried to sneak in the 5 off $25 purchase coupon too, but they wouldn't do it =/

BB of CA- Union City.

Now I just have to unload my 40 dollar GC at BB, and the massive edge card -_-

I got the games and the $40 gift card at Toys R Us. They didn't have any $5 off a $20 purchase coupons though. I asked and they couldn't locate any.

Not sure if this is on-topic or not, but here goes. I just called my local Best Buy store (Milford, MA) to see what the policy is on price matching deals like this. The person who I spoke to told me that they don't price match with Toys R Us due to them having too many "liquidation type sales and that they are possibly going out of business". I called another store that's close by and asked the question a different way and they said that not only do they price match with TRU, but they would most likely perform the price match by taking off the $40. So, I wonder if this is a misguided employee or the start of a trend? I've not heard anything resembling a rumor that TRU was going out of business or anything, so I find it a bit odd. Anyway, just thought I'd pass that on.

[quote name='jgiovanni']Hey, can someone please let me know how bayonetta is.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I've not played it but it's gotten really good reviews, especially if you like action games. The 360 is the better version. So if PS3 is your only option, you're probably better off waiting for a cheaper price. PS3 had bad load times (6 seconds for the pause menu).

[quote name='jgiovanni']Hey, can someone please let me know how bayonetta is.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Play the demo?

played the demo, really enjoyed its "over the top" style. I mean seriously, guns on her shoes?! How F'n cool is that

yes, it was actually fun to play. This was the demo though so take it for what it is.

Went to my BB and they said they don't PM gift cards or bundles. I then showed them their policy and she looked confused and went to talk to the manager and when she came back she said that the policy means that they only PM gift cards if BB offers a GC and it's less than the other stores. Going to call BB.com and see what I can have them do for me.

Yeah but PMing deals is always YMMV esp with gift cards. On the phone with BB.com now and she looked at the deal and said that she thinks because it's for members only they can't do it, but she can verify it for me. Hey it's worth a shot. I'll edit this post when I get an answer.

EDIT: Yeah no go, like many people said these games are going to be on sale soon for $40 each at BB I can almost promise you that. I can wait until then easily.

Well, I got it PMed at Best Buy. First he told me they didn't PM gift card deals. I said this was not true and asked him to refer to the policy on the website. He refused to move, so I told him I was going to waste paper at one of his kiosks to show him the policy and came back with it in a couple of minutes. He read it, brought me to a register and started the PM. Then he said, "Do you want the two ten dollar gift cards seperately or is it okay if it's a 20 dollar gift card?" I told him I was buying both and wanted the 40 dollar offer. He said he couldn't do that because of the fact it was a members only thing. I told him their membership was just like their Reward Zone and he said, "No it isn't, you have to pay for it." I told him this was not true and he asked for my membership card for TRU. Which I luckily had. That apparently satisfied him and he asked for my phone number to make sure I was a Reward Zone member. Man, what a bunch of hoops to jump through.

I got shut down hard by two people working customer service at Best Buy, but I remembered there was a really helpful woman in the games section (Divisional manager or something like that? Whoever heads each department of the store or something of that nature) that had helped me with a price match earlier this year. Luckily she was there again today and she got me both games for $39.99 a piece.

Thanks to the OP for the thread and people that shared their experience with their BBs. I was planning on paying full price for Bayonetta anyway, so getting Darksiders for $20 is a nice deal. I have no idea what the game is about or if its even supposed to be good or not, but after coming off of playing Jurassic: The Hunted, I'm sure whatever game I play next will seem like a goldmine of quality in comparison.

Just came back from my local BB (Milford, MA - the one that previously said they didn't price match TRU).

Anyway, I couldn't find an actual copy of the flyer since we already had recycling pickup and the local TRU didn't have any copies. So, I called and they said I didn't actually need the TRU flyer but they would have to call and verify that the items were in stock, etc. I walked up to the service desk area and explained the promo at TRU and the cashier was just like - ok (and just took my word for it - didn't call TRU or anything). She had to go ask her manager - who just so happened to be dealing with a total bitch of a problem customer about 5 feet away - who looked at my Premiere Silver tags and said "yea sure". Then I just politely asked the cashier if I actually had to buy the $40 gift card or could just get the money off and, since she basically didn't care, just gave me the money off. So, basically just got both games for $40 each.

I really didn't care to price match since all I wanted was Bayonetta, I had originally purchased at GS since I had it pre-ordered,but they screwed me over by not even giving me the $5 off from the pre-order. So I went to TRU today, picked up Bayonetta and the $10 giftcard plus the $5 off coupon. Really hoping TRU ends up having White Knight Chronicles or Star Ocean in as those are the only other games I want to buy next to FFXIII, and I'd like to use that giftcard towards something.

Ugh, I'm seriously not happy with Toys R Us. I went to my usual one in San Mateo, CA...they had Darksiders but no Bayonetta. Then I went to the one in Redwood City, they had neither. Then I called the one in Sunnyvale and they had Darksiders but not Bayonetta. WTF is there some sort of Bayonetta shortage or lack of stock? Gonna call tomorrow afternoon and see if they got it in just by chance in San Mateo. Otherwise I'll have to pass on the deal and hope for slashed prices later on.

[quote name='thegame85']Ugh, I'm seriously not happy with Toys R Us. I went to my usual one in San Mateo, CA...they had Darksiders but no Bayonetta. Then I went to the one in Redwood City, they had neither. Then I called the one in Sunnyvale and they had Darksiders but not Bayonetta. WTF is there some sort of Bayonetta shortage or lack of stock? Gonna call tomorrow afternoon and see if they got it in just by chance in San Mateo. Otherwise I'll have to pass on the deal and hope for slashed prices later on.[/QUOTE]

Why not just buy Bayonetta at the one that has it, then return it at the one that has Darksiders and then buy both?

[quote name='jetsaredim']Why not just buy Bayonetta at the one that has it, then return it at the one that has Darksiders and then buy both?[/QUOTE]

Because none of them have Bayonetta.

[quote name='jetsaredim']Why not just buy Bayonetta at the one that has it, then return it at the one that has Darksiders and then buy both?[/QUOTE]

Neither had Bayonetta, as I said in the original post.

went back to BB prepared. i had:
-screen captured copy of the TrU sale ad
-copy of TrU member card
-copy of BB price match policy

had to dodge the manager that shut me down the day before. the line for the service desk was quite long. a very nice cashier said that she could do a price match at the front register. win win for me! at the register she was all for doing the price match until i said it was for the gift card that came with the deal. the cashier next to her affirmed that bb did not pm gift cards. This is where the bb print out saved the day. I showed them their store policy and they agreed to knock the price off the games but they could not issue a gift card. so i didnt get as many points as I would have liked to but hey, guess it's a win.

almost as nice, the manager that told methe day before that bb would not pm the deal had to input the code for the pm discout! ^^

I stopped at BB while I was out today with success.

I (being 19) waited so that could go to the young female cashier. Acting super kind and a bit flirty I had her going not really thinking. She took the price off the two games and said it was not working. She said let me get my manager to confirm. The manager came and was like, we don't pricematch giftcards, what are you doing?

I then politely pulled out a print out of their policy and was like, I printed this off of your website, and came across this. She looked down at it and didnt even look at me and was just like... (to the cashier) go call TRU and see if they have them in stock.

She then told me that she would take $10 off of each game. I pointed her towards the $40 promotion and she insisted that because it was Rewards that they could not do that. I insisted that they could and that it was free just as their Reward Zone program. The lady continued to explain to me, that the Toys R Us Rewards is not the same card as the Reward Zone ones.... as if I did not know. Going into detail how I am unable to take the Reward Zone card to TRU, I continued to stay calm and just asked her politely to just give it to me. After a while she said she would go speak with her boss then. She came back about 3 minutes later and told me that he said that I could do it this one time, but I am not supposed to.

After another few minutes the original girl came back and confirmed the stock at TRU. The one manager took off the price, cutting it to $39.99 each and then left. Apologizing for the inconvenience, I asked if I could try and use a coupon. She of course said okay (it was the Reward Zone 10% coupon) but we had no luck. It registered as the coupon, but it took nothing off most likely due to the drop of price.

Either way, I had a $60 GC already for BB so after quite a hassle, I walked out with both Bayonetta and Darksiders, spending only ~$25 out of pocket. Not bad seeing as I planned on paying full price for Bayonetta. $20 for Darksiders is not half bad!

I hope other people can get it to work with less hassle than most of us have been having!

[quote name='BrolyB593']I stopped at BB while I was out today with success.

I (being 19) waited so that could go to the young female cashier. Acting super kind and a bit flirty I had her going not really thinking. She took the price off the two games and said it was not working. She said let me get my manager to confirm. The manager came and was like, we don't pricematch giftcards, what are you doing?

I then politely pulled out a print out of their policy and was like, I printed this off of your website, and came across this. She looked down at it and didnt even look at me and was just like... (to the cashier) go call TRU and see if they have them in stock.

She then told me that she would take $10 off of each game. I pointed her towards the $40 promotion and she insisted that because it was Rewards that they could not do that. I insisted that they could and that it was free just as their Reward Zone program. The lady continued to explain to me, that the Toys R Us Rewards is not the same card as the Reward Zone ones.... as if I did not know. Going into detail how I am unable to take the Reward Zone card to TRU, I continued to stay calm and just asked her politely to just give it to me. After a while she said she would go speak with her boss then. She came back about 3 minutes later and told me that he said that I could do it this one time, but I am not supposed to.

After another few minutes the original girl came back and confirmed the stock at TRU. The one manager took off the price, cutting it to $39.99 each and then left. Apologizing for the inconvenience, I asked if I could try and use a coupon. She of course said okay (it was the Reward Zone 10% coupon) but we had no luck. It registered as the coupon, but it took nothing off most likely due to the drop of price.

Either way, I had a $60 GC already for BB so after quite a hassle, I walked out with both Bayonetta and Darksiders, spending only ~$25 out of pocket. Not bad seeing as I planned on paying full price for Bayonetta. $20 for Darksiders is not half bad!

I hope other people can get it to work with less hassle than most of us have been having![/QUOTE]

I really don't understand the need to find a young female cashier. Aren't they more likely to deny you because they don't want to get in trouble. You gotta find the young bored male cashiers who don't really care.

[quote name='judgedee']I really don't understand the need to find a young female cashier. Aren't they more likely to deny you because they don't want to get in trouble. You gotta find the young bored male cashiers who don't really care.[/QUOTE]

lol at all the best buy stories in this thread, for someone like myself who worked there I do find this interesting. Basically every month there's a store meeting or two where the general manager gets everyone on the same page as far as what you can and cannot do in sales, plus all the stuff on how to treat customers. In the end though for price matching it comes down to the fact that the computer always pops up a manager override approval box that requires a password from any department manager or above they can choose to input the password and carry out your PMing or not accept it for a million different reasons that corporate usually backs them up on when a customer complains. It's completely YMMV as long as your realize that and don't go into BB with high expectations of PMing and have a backup plan for purchasing your game the day is not lost.

[quote name='judgedee']I really don't understand the need to find a young female cashier. Aren't they more likely to deny you because they don't want to get in trouble. You gotta find the young bored male cashiers who don't really care.[/QUOTE]

Well ... it is Best Buy, so you know it's going to take at least 20 minutes of waiting and standing around for the manager to actually come out and do something ... so you might as well have something nice to look at while you wait ;) ... am I right!?!

bread's done
Back