40 gig PS3+Metal Gear Solid 4+extra Dualshock 3 Controller for $484.99 @ Gamestop!!!1

CapnChilonges

CAG Veteran
I noticed this deal at a Gamestop in Bakersfield, CA, 40 gig PS3, with Metal Gear 4 and an extra dualshock 3 controller for $484.99. I didn't see any advertising for it other than a small poster at the entry, I confirmed it with the store manager though, and at 2 other locations. Not sure how long this is going on, but it's in response to the 80 gig Bundle selling out so quickly. The manager said it automatically applies the discount as it is being rung up on the same transaction, no coupon required. Hope this helps ppl! :D

Hmmmmmmmm an 80 GB ps3 with MGS4 and backwards compatibility or for $15 less a 40 GB ps3 with MGS4 and an extra controller but no Backwards compatibilty........

think Ill wait for the 80 bundle.

[quote name='Nobi-Wan']Who would buy a 40GB PS3? That makes as much sense as buying a 360 without a hard drive, but worse.[/quote]

How so? BC is a non-issue to many (most?) folks, the hard drive can be upgraded if 40GB ever proves to be insufficient, and beyond that, you can buy a USB hub and USB card reader for $10 combined to make up for the differences in USB ports and card slots.

Unless we're comparing it to the MGS4/DS3 bundle, in which case, I can see what you mean - though even then, you still have to justify paying a premium for the console differences themselves, which doesn't make sense for everyone.

i played capcom vs snk 2 on a 60gb ps3, very obvious slow down and lag between inputs made the game unplayable.
so I picked up a 40gb

[quote name='anch']i played capcom vs snk 2 on a 60gb ps3, very obvious slow down and lag between inputs made the game unplayable.
so I picked up a 40gb[/QUOTE]

Were you using a PS2 controller adapter? My PS3 plays that game fine.

Although, if I were buying now I would just get a 40G PS3 and a PStwo. I'm not a fan of the software emulation method of any console.

[quote name='Larrabee213']Just wait for the MGS 4 80GB bundles to come back into stock for the BC.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Hmmmmmmmm an 80 GB ps3 with MGS4 and backwards compatibility or for $15 less a 40 GB ps3 with MGS4 and an extra controller but no Backwards compatibilty........

think Ill wait for the 80 bundle.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Nobi-Wan']Who would buy a 40GB PS3? That makes as much sense as buying a 360 without a hard drive, but worse.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this seems like a bad "deal" to me. It's the same price as getting the 80GB model...only you get an extra controller, but lose compatibility and 40GB of storage space. Makes no sense.

Yea, taxes suck. I'd wait for Amazon to have it in stock because if you have Prime, 2 day free shipping and no taxes! :applause:

Also going to stray a bit off topic...

Why is everyone so much into BC? I've had like 5 PS3s. 1 60gb and 4 40gb. I sold my 60gb, so down to 4 40gb PS3s.

I never once played any PS2 games on it, since I have my PS2s. I was never really concerned with the extra memory ports, extra USB connectors, hdd space and BC, but I guess everyone has their own thing.

[quote name='xcopy']Why is everyone so much into BC? I've had like 5 PS3s. 1 60gb and 4 40gb. I sold my 60gb, so down to 4 40gb PS3s.

I never once played any PS2 games on it, since I have my PS2s. I was never really concerned with the extra memory ports, extra USB connectors, hdd space and BC, but I guess everyone has their own thing.[/QUOTE]

Multiple reasons, but for me it's because I love games and if I own something, I want to retain access to it (or else what's the point in owning it)-same reason I will not "buy" games with "activation" or from the console's download stores. Other reason for me is clutter. I don't have room to have trillions of systems hooked up. I can do about one in my bedroom, two in the living room. I'll already have to swap between the 360 and PS3 as it is.

I bought an 80GB PS3 Motorstorm bundle in November and have probably played PS2 games less than 10 times since then.

BC is overrated, though I'll be honest and admit being able to play SotC when I want is nice, especially since it actually runs better on a 80GB, unlike the 360's BC, where the majority of games have graphical and framerate issues.

[quote name='xcopy']Yea, taxes suck. I'd wait for Amazon to have it in stock because if you have Prime, 2 day free shipping and no taxes! :applause:

Why is everyone so much into BC? I've had like 5 PS3s. 1 60gb and 4 40gb. I sold my 60gb, so down to 4 40gb PS3s.

I never once played any PS2 games on it, since I have my PS2s. I was never really concerned with the extra memory ports, extra USB connectors, hdd space and BC, but I guess everyone has their own thing.[/quote]

I never owned a PS2 (I know, weird), so having the hardware BC of the 60 GB was very important to me. Even if I had a PS2, BC is nice because its one less system to have to keep hooked up (or you can even get rid of the PS2). It's a real shame Sony has all but ditched BC if you ask me.

Back on topic, this seems like a pretty decent deal (again, assuming you don't care about BC).

There's one advantage to the 40gb that for some is a bid deal: it's significantly quieter. Indeed, though I don't have the money currently so my opinion is moot anyway :), I'd rather have a 40 GB than the 80 GB. A quieter (and cheaper too) PS3 is better IMHO.

[quote name='xcopy']Yea, taxes suck. I'd wait for Amazon to have it in stock because if you have Prime, 2 day free shipping and no taxes! :applause:

I never once played any PS2 games on it, since I have my PS2s. I was never really concerned with the extra memory ports, extra USB connectors, hdd space and BC, but I guess everyone has their own thing.[/quote]

I want BC for the simple fact that regular PS2 games without upscaling looks like garbage on my HDTV. I found a 60GB PS3 and snapped it up a few months back and couldn't be happier. I play more PS2 games on my HDTV than PS3 games. Which incidentally is one of the reasons Sony dropped BC. They didn't have enough PS3 game revenue flowing in. People were perfectly happy to keep playing PS2 on their PS3s.

Hmmm, this deal seems awfully tempting. I don't really care for all the extra bells and whistles and having an extra controller right off the bat would be pretty nice for fighting games and such.

[quote name='Barnolde']I bought an 80GB PS3 Motorstorm bundle in November and have probably played PS2 games less than 10 times since then.

BC is overrated, though I'll be honest and admit being able to play SotC when I want is nice, especially since it actually runs better on a 80GB, unlike the 360's BC, where the majority of games have graphical and framerate issues.[/quote]

WTF!

People should stop thread crapping and just talk about the deal.
Backward compatibility IS important to some people and NOT to others.
40GB extra space IS important to some people and NOT to others
4 built in USB ports ARE important to some people and NOT to others.
A DS3 IS important to everyone, SONY f-ed that up major with the 6axis.

As for whether PS3 or 360 BC is better, don't speak about what you don't know.
There are JUST as many, if not more, PS2 games that run poorly on PS3 as there are X1 games that run poorly on 360.
Then again there are about 3X more PS2 games on the market so it's comparing apples to oranges.
The games that DO work, work great on BOTH systems.

Every BC game I have tried on BOTH systems has worked perfectly and I have NO compatibility concerns.
MS actually TESTS the BC before they make it available, so percentage wise more of the available BC games SHOULD work properly on 360.
Sony just offers blanket SW emulation which is very hit and miss, or in the case of the 40GB NO BC at all.
The 20/60GB is no longer available so be happy if you have one.

HOWEVER:
360 re-renders BC games in High-Def with Anti-Aliasiang = LOOKS FAB
PS3 upscales the 480i and applies smoothing = Looks ASS

If Sony adds rendering BC PS2 games in HD I'll shit my pants and be very happy.
So there you have it.

For the Record I have a 360 Pro and a PS3 80GB MGS4 bundle hooked HDMI to a 100" 720p projector.
HD rendered BC matters to ME.
I also still have a PS2 and an X1 (XBMC) in another room that my 3 year old plays on.

I can confirm this, I just called the Gamestop in SLC, UT.

I bought a 40gig last week with Metal Gear after I was too late to preorder the 80gig model, they said I could bring my reciept in and they would price match the dualshock 3 controller for like 10 bucks... Hell yes Ill take that deal!!

[quote name='PikaPichu']Hmmm, this deal seems awfully tempting. I don't really care for all the extra bells and whistles and having an extra controller right off the bat would be pretty nice for fighting games and such.[/quote]

circuit city runs a 'buy a PS3, get a free controller' deal fairly frequently (every 4-6 weeks it seems), so that's an option if you are not interested in MGS4

I don't get the big deal out of the 80 gig anyway. I was going to replace the hard drive down the road due to the fact that I plan to own many games that will most likely require massive installs. I just thought that with that mentality, it was a deal since you get an extra controller. Also, I agree taxes will suck, but for me it seemed enticing.

My GS (Normal IL) is running the same deal and had a big sign for it.

Not a bad deal, really. Especially with the PS2 trade-in as someone mentioned.

[quote name='raiser']WTF!

People should stop thread crapping and just talk about the deal.
Backward compatibility IS important to some people and NOT to others.
40GB extra space IS important to some people and NOT to others
4 built in USB ports ARE important to some people and NOT to others.
A DS3 IS important to everyone, SONY f-ed that up major with the 6axis.

As for whether PS3 or 360 BC is better, don't speak about what you don't know.
There are JUST as many, if not more, PS2 games that run poorly on PS3 as there are X1 games that run poorly on 360.
Then again there are about 3X more PS2 games on the market so it's comparing apples to oranges.
The games that DO work, work great on BOTH systems.

Every BC game I have tried on BOTH systems has worked perfectly and I have NO compatibility concerns.
MS actually TESTS the BC before they make it available, so percentage wise more of the available BC games SHOULD work properly on 360.
Sony just offers blanket SW emulation which is very hit and miss, or in the case of the 40GB NO BC at all.
The 20/60GB is no longer available so be happy if you have one.

HOWEVER:
360 re-renders BC games in High-Def with Anti-Aliasiang = LOOKS FAB
PS3 upscales the 480i and applies smoothing = Looks ASS

If Sony adds rendering BC PS2 games in HD I'll shit my pants and be very happy.
So there you have it.

For the Record I have a 360 Pro and a PS3 80GB MGS4 bundle hooked HDMI to a 100" 720p projector.
HD rendered BC matters to ME.
I also still have a PS2 and an X1 (XBMC) in another room that my 3 year old plays on.[/QUOTE]

And you're doing the exact same thing you told people not to do. lol

Anyways, no not everyone cares for the extra space and BC, but those that do makes this a crappy deal. And everyone has a voice in this. Even if you dont want the extra space this isnt much of a deal seeing as you get MGS4 for free when you buy the bundle for $500, they should offer you the 40 GB with the game for $400 and than if they feel like there losing out than add on the extra dualshock for its normal asking price. Which isnt $84.99.

this is a little off topic but if i get a japanese mgs4 bundle, what do i need to get it running? will the ac power adaptor work in the us? also will the game have english subtitles?

[quote name='fatez']this is a little off topic but if i get a japanese mgs4 bundle, what do i need to get it running? will the ac power adaptor work in the us? also will the game have english subtitles?[/quote]

BluRay is not region coded, so I believe you can buy the japanese system and all games should work fine. As for metal gear itself, I think it has dual audio.

IIRC All the ps3 games should be region free. Ps1 and ps2 games are still regionally locked (though the 40 gig model can't run ps2), as well as blu-ray and dvd movies.

[quote name='fatez']this is a little off topic but if i get a japanese mgs4 bundle, what do i need to get it running? will the ac power adaptor work in the us? also will the game have english subtitles?[/QUOTE]

Power cord is the same, BluRays can be watched, but DVDs from the USA cannot be watched.

Ok, I stated this above but I want to give the full story.

Last friday I purchased a 40gig model ps3 and metal gear solid, They were out of the 80 gigs, and I was a day late to preorder one.

I don't really care about missing out on the bundle, as I really have no intension of filling up another 40 gigs of memory, and I can replace the HD if i want more room (more than likely for cheaper than 100 bucks.) I also still have my PS2 and would rather play my ps2 games on a ps2, so the BC really wasnt a factor for me. The only real bonus I saw in the bundle was that I would be spending 100 bucks more to get the game and the dualshock 3 included.

WELL, I took my reciept in to gamestop today, showing that I had indeed purchased Metal Gear and the PS3 together, they hadn't ever heard of this new bundle idea but I had them call around until they were well acquainted with it, and they did some playing on their little computer.

Eventually I ended up paying 25 bucks for Dualschock 3!

Taxes or no taxes I found this to be a very good deal, as I was already planning on spending another 60 bucks for the extra controller to be able to play some local Soulcalibur in a month.

Dualshock 3 for 25 bucks = awesome deal for me.

I say it's a good deal, essentially DS3 for $25 as above.

I have an 80gb and have played maybe a total of.. 10hours of PS2 games on the PS3. Everything else has been next gen. I made it a point to get an 80gb too but it hasn't been a big deal, it's nice to have, b/c I still look for some ps2 rpg's etc but I don't play it much. so quit talkin smack on the 40gb!

bread's done
Back