$40 Ultimate MVC3:50 characters(Ghost Rider/Stryder/Hawkeye/Firebrand) Nov. 2011

if this new version doesn't have this "TO START". im done, i really am.

powerstonedsmaller.png

As long as they release it as a DLC package, fine. But to basically force you to buy another disc with brand new trophies and make you restart your online stats is scumbaggish. Besides, don't they usually wait a year to pull this crap? It's barely been 3 months.

- True Versus Mode
- Survival/Challenge Mode
- More Characters, Stages, Music
- An Actual Story Mode (A couple of hours would be fine since it'd be more content)
- Online Mode that's the same as Super Street Fighter IV (Ranked Mode included)

[quote name='gargus']The one and only reason capcom did this is because people will pay.

For what mvc3 was I felt cheated even before knowing about this. It took about all of one day to unlock half the trophies, do most of the "missions" (which is code for, here, do some combos against a practice dummy) and see almost all the content. Only thing I didnt get to do really is play online since psn went down the day I finally got around to trying it out online.
[/QUOTE]

Don't be ridiculous. It's a fighting game, it's practically a hobby by itself. People buy fighters day one because they have to in order to stay competitive. I'm not talking about just pros, I'm talking about casual competitors too -- a big chunk of the MvC3 market and other fighters. It's been this way forever, it's just now there are ways to nickel and dime us more because of DLC. But really? Anyone who really enjoys the fighter they are playing puts more than enough hours to justify the money spent. I've bought $115 worth of SF content (games+DLC) and a stick that cost $100 and I've gotten 800+ hours of gameplay. And now they announce priced DLC for Arcade Edition but you know, instead of being mad I'm hyped out of my mind, because a few new characters to a fighter is about 1000000x more valuable than any $15 map pack or whatever nonsense other developers charge people for.

You spend $60 on a fighter to play A.I. and unlock trophies? You're already throwing money away so why complain when they keep releasing more? Wait for price drops and do your thing then. Fighters drop in price very quickly for obvious reasons. To non-competitive players it's pretty much the same game with a few new characters right? Why do you even care what's announced? Wait for the bargain bin.

I'm not defending Capcom here more than I am being reasonable. I think it's lame they have to price things like costumes and small items but at the end of the day it's a few more bucks for a timeless experience.

It's the same reason people pay $15 per month for WoW. Because you know, they actually play it.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Don't be ridiculous. It's a fighting game, it's practically a hobby by itself. People buy fighters day one because they have to in order to stay competitive. I'm not talking about just pros, I'm talking about casual competitors too -- a big chunk of the MvC3 market and other fighters. It's been this way forever, it's just now there are ways to nickel and dime us more because of DLC. But really? Anyone who really enjoys the fighter they are playing puts more than enough hours to justify the money spent. I've bought $115 worth of SF content (games+DLC) and a stick that cost $100 and I've gotten 800+ hours of gameplay. And now they announce priced DLC for Arcade Edition but you know, instead of being mad I'm hyped out of my mind, because a few new characters to a fighter is about 1000000x more valuable than any $15 map pack or whatever nonsense other developers charge people for.

You spend $60 on a fighter to play A.I. and unlock trophies? You're already throwing money away so why complain when they keep releasing more? Wait for price drops and do your thing then. Fighters drop in price very quickly for obvious reasons. To non-competitive players it's pretty much the same game with a few new characters right? Why do you even care what's announced? Wait for the bargain bin.

I'm not defending Capcom here more than I am being reasonable. I think it's lame they have to price things like costumes and small items but at the end of the day it's a few more bucks for a timeless experience.

It's the same reason people pay $15 per month for WoW. Because you know, they actually play it.[/QUOTE]

The truth. Shit man, I got three arcade sticks.

I agree it's a weak money grab but I would feel alot better if the just offered a complete package day 1 for a $75-$85 price. They should inform retailers not to reduce the price for ___ amount of time to protect the $60 game sales. Or reduce the bare bones $60 game to $40.

Making an extra 33% day 1 on a smaller amount of total sales on the complete package should still make the game companies happy & it's a better business strategy than nickel& diming the customer.

A company like Capcom should already know they have a pretty loyal following for their fighting franchises as is so just offer a complete pack steelbox and/or fightstick combo w/extras for a cool $100. Selling 500,000 copies at $60 ea is only $30 mil. but 250,000 at $100 is $25 mil but they still make money on the barebones week 1 sales too. Someone just needs to think outside the box.

No surprise here more updates Ultimate MVC3
wonder if it'll be out in time for a $20 BF sale

funny thing though MVC3 will be $30 @ BB starting tomorrow the sale runs 7/17 - 7/23 & there really haven't been alot of $40 sales since release either considering damn near ever other title did. He'll even ME2(PS3) finally has seen $40 sales.

Total roster 50 characters? I would have preferred 50+ day 1 & 25 for this "updated" but then I could definitely see then offering 10-25 more on the back end with UMVC3 AE "over 100 characters it's like a new game buy it for $39.99"

The fighting game community does an autopsy on their fighting games day 1. The difference between day 1 play to day 30 play is a HUGE difference. They need re-releases/updates based on what the community wants. Understand, these updates are not for you, they are for those that strictly play only fighting games.

Seriously look at this, can you understand it?

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/nov/13/m-bison-dictator-frame-data-street-fighter-4/

This is basically their fighting game bible. Knowing this for every match up is what fighting games has boiled down to.

Alas, MvC3 wasn't my cup of tea. Fun, but too much on screen for me to keep up.

Not surprising since capcom has become a shameless whore the past decade. They will sell and resell anything they possibly can without a care in the world.

They cut the roster down on mvc3 because they wanted to sell characters as dlc but when no one really bought the game because it more or less sucks and thus didnt buy the dlc they chose to go the super route and just release the same game again for more with the dlc in it.

Al they do is whore out resident evil and vs games anymore. They are a pitiful game company.

so is this ultimate version including Jill and the other guy in it on disc? or are they still download only purchases?

man the state of fighting games is sad the way companies keep screwing over their audiences this way makes you wonder why some of these series are still selling. im still waiting to play a really amazing 3d fighter ( not visually 3d but in a fully realized world). are there any new/interesting fighters coming out?

[quote name='lokizz']man the state of fighting games is sad the way companies keep screwing over their audiences this way makes you wonder why some of these series are still selling.[/QUOTE]

258wg3s.gif

How are they screwing us over? They're doing this because the fans want it.

[quote name='distgfx']
258wg3s.gif

How are they screwing us over? They're doing this because the fans want it.[/QUOTE]

fans want to buy the same game 2 or more times for slight changes and a few added characters? you may like it which is your choice but theres a number of "fans" who hate this sort of thing. especially when the companies withold things just so they can sell them later at inflated prices?

youre telling me you were happy paying 5 bucks a pop for an extrqa character?

i think most fans would prefer to get everything in one game but maybe some people like to buy diff versions of the same game for collectibility. i dunno.

[quote name='lokizz']fans want to buy the same game 2 or more times for slight changes and a few added characters? you may like it which is your choice but theres a number of "fans" who hate this sort of thing. especially when the companies withold things just so they can sell them later at inflated prices? [/QUOTE]

I would think fans want another version of the game, yes. Or are you referring to people/fans who beat arcade mode once, unlock all the characters and then never play it again? If you rarely played the game, then I could see how you could be pissed and not want a new version.

[quote name='lokizz']youre telling me you were happy paying 5 bucks a pop for an extrqa character?[/QUOTE]

No, but that's not what the topic is about.

[quote name='lokizz']i think most fans would prefer to get everything in one game but maybe some people like to buy diff versions of the same game for collectibility. i dunno.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, seems similar to a series being split into a trilogy to me. You can always do more and add more if given more time. Fans eventually want more content and I'd prefer to get 12 new characters for $40 than $5 per character.

[quote name='j-cart']What "fans" are you talking about? The fighting game community will buy it, are they not the true fans?[/QUOTE]

Nah, the term "fans" can be pretty vague. It could be anything from the fighting game community to a casual who plays only arcade mode. Depending on who you are, you may or may not want a new one. Obviously enough people do though if they keep doing this. It's always more than just new characters and balance changes anyway. Sometimes they add gameplay mechanics, change gameplay mechanics, add new modes, new stages, new specials, new ultras, new assists, etc. There's just a lot of shit that can happen depending on the company. Like with Capcom, you didn't even get a patch for the balance changes, you had to buy AE. With BBCS, you at least got a patch for the balance changes and ability to fight the new chars.

Whatever, it just depends on your own view of the value of the game. For example, I'd consider bayonetta to be worth the full $60 I paid for it, if not more, because of how much play time I got out of it and how deep the game mechanics were. Learning a new mechanic could change the game for you, so there's another few hours that goes into the game. Whereas others would refuse to pay $20 for it and may beat it on Easy/Normal, at best.

I personally appreciate Capcom releasing the same game multiple times.

They just want us to have the best possible version.

[quote name='whoknows']I personally appreciate Capcom releasing the same game multiple times.

They just want us to have the best possible version.[/QUOTE]

Clearly, quite frankly, I hope there's a Turbo version too. I hope they charge us the full $60 like they should too.

They should release Turbo first. That way we can get ready for Hyper. Capcom cares about our well being and wouldn't just throw us into Hyper like that.

I actually don't mind if companies release updates. My problem is when the initial offering is a piece of shit, which MvC3 was. I'm not talking about the gameplay, but the ridiculously barebones shell that was given to us. Especially after MK, I just expect more content from games. I'm not even asking for that insane amount of content in a fighting game, but to not even have features offered in your company's previous fighting game release is just inexcusable. It's 2011. Time to step it up.

[quote name='whoknows']They should release Turbo first. That way we can get ready for Hyper. Capcom cares about our well being and wouldn't just throw us into Hyper like that.[/QUOTE]

I thought Hyper was before Turbo?! Are they going to release the sequel to the game that is in production first?!

[quote name='distgfx']I thought Hyper was before Turbo?! Are they going to release the sequel to the game that is in production first?![/QUOTE]

Of course, that'll make the one in production have a sort of nostalgic feel. That alone with worth a $60 price tag.

[quote name='lokizz']fans want to buy the same game 2 or more times for slight changes and a few added characters? you may like it which is your choice but theres a number of "fans" who hate this sort of thing. especially when the companies withold things just so they can sell them later at inflated prices?

youre telling me you were happy paying 5 bucks a pop for an extrqa character?

i think most fans would prefer to get everything in one game but maybe some people like to buy diff versions of the same game for collectibility. i dunno.[/QUOTE]
I'm a fan and I'll happily buy it just because it's Marvel vs. Capcom. They could rerelease this six times and I'd get it every time for just that reason.

This game needs something to seriously overhaul it because as is i don't see it lasting another year in high level play. Especially when Tekken Tag 2 and 3S Online are out. They're not direct competition but streams and tournaments can only really support 2-3 games at a time.

[quote name='j-cart']Screwing over? Naw man, this is the rebirth, the Crisis on Infinite Earths. These games are not just extra characters, these games are changes/updates to the little things that people outside of the community are not seeing. SF4 to SSF4 to SSF4 AE are 3 different games that when compared to one another and everyone of them was worth it. You might not agree, but the fighting game community wants updates (of course reasonably priced is also implied).[/QUOTE]

lol; you're taking Capcom's dick so far down your throat, if they came, jizz would probably come out of your nose.

Super was somewhat justifiable because it added a grip of new characters and a bunch of balance changes, and it came out like a year later. AE is an obvious money grab and ultimate act of troll by shitty-ass Ono-san, adding almost nothing to the game, and fucking up the balance, so that people can complain enough to "warrant" another version. This fucking troll is talking about making yearly editions of Street Fighter and you're going to run around and say "It's what the fans want!!1"? Give me a break.

And you can't even make a similar case for Marvel; the game fucking came out 4 MONTHS ago. Capcom basically charged everyone $60 to fucking beta test a game for them. If you try to argue otherwise, you're retarded, and I'm saying this as someone who LOVES Marvel.

[quote name='lolwut?']lol; you're taking Capcom's dick so far down your throat, if they came, jizz would probably come out of your nose.
[/QUOTE]

This makes no sense at all.

[quote name='lolwut?']
Super was somewhat justifiable because it added a grip of new characters and a bunch of balance changes, and it came out like a year later. AE is an obvious money grab and ultimate act of troll by shitty-ass Ono-san, adding almost nothing to the game, and fucking up the balance, so that people can complain enough to "warrant" another version. This fucking troll is talking about making yearly editions of Street Fighter and you're going to run around and say "It's what the fans want!!1"? Give me a break.[/QUOTE]

AE was $15 bucks. Well worth it since I spent about the same amount when playing it at the arcades. Trust, AE was worth the balance changes. Gonna see a lot of different character battles for the top position at Evo.

[quote name='lolwut?']
And you can't even make a similar case for Marvel; the game fucking came out 4 MONTHS ago. Capcom basically charged everyone $60 to fucking beta test a game for them. If you try to argue otherwise, you're retarded, and I'm saying this as someone who LOVES Marvel.[/QUOTE]

And how long did we have to wait for MvC3 to actually come out? There is no release date for this new Marvel, hell it might come out next year. I would agree that $60 for another one would be a steep climb, but if this "new" Marvel has the same changes as SF4 to SSF4 (and price point) I say let it come out.

I can understand the new characters, modes, etc etc. I also understand the fact that the games, on a competitive level can include little bitty things that need to be fixed.

What I don't understand is:

1) why they don't allow those tweaks to be handled via update. They aren't adding any visual elements with these changes, just adjusting vulnerable frames, damage levels at different ranges, and if a move is a guard break, etc. Uncharted 2 had it's multiplayer tweaked continuously by ND until they found a good balance (or not). This was even done without the need for system updates.

2)They've released at least 3 different versions of each SF games- even some you may not realize if you are a casual player. For example, SFa2 had multiple configurations across the world. The console versions (originally) was, from what I remember, a hybrid of the 3 configuration. The more recent releases have given you control over which balance you use. I know that beta testing and REAL testing are 2 different things, but it seems to be that they should know how to balance a character by now. Or at the very least, they could have these guys come in for a week and play the games.

[quote name='nbballard']They've released at least 3 different versions of each SF games- even some you may not realize if you are a casual player. For example, SFa2 had multiple configurations across the world. The console versions (originally) was, from what I remember, a hybrid of the 3 configuration. The more recent releases have given you control over which balance you use. I know that beta testing and REAL testing are 2 different things, but it seems to be that they should know how to balance a character by now. Or at the very least, they could have these guys come in for a week and play the games.[/QUOTE]

Technically there are four Street Fighter 4 versions: Street Fighter 4 Arcade; Street Fighter 4 console (two different games); Super Street Fighter 4; and now Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition. Why is there an Arcade edition? Because Japan's largest fighting game tournament (SBO) only plays on arcades which means they were still playing on SF4 Arcade last year.

Updating a game isn't as easy. For one, the game must be capable of receiving such updates. SF4 was not made with that in mind, however SSF4 was made to be able to receive the AE DLC. It is not like they can go into a game and change the how much damage a fireball does without drastically changing the game's engine.

As for the alpha series, each game (Alpha, Alpha 2, and Alpha 3) had differences between one another, V-ism being that big difference and were released within a year or two of each other. Though I believe you are confusing Alpha with Hyper Street Fighter 2, which didn't come out until Super Turbo was 10 years old. HSF2 allowed players to pick their character and the version type, ie. "Normal" Ryu vs "Super Turbo" Ken.

Doesn't matter how much beta testing they do, in today's age with youtube and message boards, day 1 the game is dissected. The play in style and difference between release date and 30 days post release is so much different that you just can't account for how fast the game will change.

[quote name='punkmaggit']So who're the new chars?[/QUOTE]
Comic-con hasn't happened yet, and I don't think they'll name all the characters but here's who I think will be in it

Doc Oct
Frank West
Strider
Phoenix Wright

dunno about the others but the first two are hidden in the mvc3 disc code, and the second two are popular request.

I'm hoping the rumors of nerfed x-factor and nerfed aerial exchanges are true.

I acknowledged that there are big differences between the alpha games, I wasn't trying to lump them together as rereleases- but Alpha 2 and 3 were both rereleased and readjusted several times.

[quote name='j-cart'] Though I believe you are confusing Alpha with Hyper Street Fighter 2, which didn't come out until Super Turbo was 10 years old. HSF2 allowed players to pick their character and the version type, ie. "Normal" Ryu vs "Super Turbo" Ken.[/QUOTE]

I know what you are talking about- but that's not what I was saying. I'm thinking of SFa2. There were different balances on the boards in Japan, US east coast, and US West Coast from what I remember. There was a big breakdown of it in one of the books I had when it came to the home consoles. Most of the changes were around Sodom and his attack ranges, etc. When they rereleased it for the PS2 in the anniversary collection you could go into the options and adjust a lot of the dipswitches manually and make the game play like the different balances if I'm recalling that correctly..

Regarding the remote balancing- The SSF4:AE patch fixed all the tweaks that needed to be adjusted from SSF4, so they've proven they can do it via patch/update. I'll use the example of Uncharted 2 again, it is constantly tweaking the different damages and whatever on their weapons in the multiplayer (sans patch). On top of that, they just had a 2-week open beta so that people could help identify the problems they needed to fix.

I understand the need for the adjustments for their core audience, don't get me wrong. It's just hard to see an updated copy of a game come out for $40-60 within a year of the original release when they could have provided DLC to fix it. I appreciated what they did with SSF4:AE via the patch instead of making me buy it again for $40.

As someone who hasn't played fighting games on a competetive level in 15 years, I guess I just need to change my mentality about what games are for me and what games are for them.

Waiting on info. If they offer the $15-20 upgrade plan like they did with the Arcade version, then I am fine with it.

If not this game and capcom can go fuck itself.

I get the fact that the community and the fans want the update. I just don't want to have to spend $40-60 on another new version when it could be done via DLC for cheaper. There is a point where it becomes less about the community and more about how greedy Capcom is. Now granted in 1995 they needed multiple cart versions and that's great. But if they don't offer a upgrade plan, then they are seriously not getting my buisness no more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in a similar situation as nbballard...I just got back into playing fighting games. Back in college (14 years ago) that's all I played along with Gran Turismo. I used to pride myself on picking a random character in Tekken 2 in an arcade and winning. Now I just don't have the time to dedicate to mastering the nuances of each game to be competitive. The games have become more complicated too which hasn't helped at all. By the time I get decent, it seems like everyone has moved on to the next game. Obviously I'm not the core audience Capcom is after but they aren't making it easy to jump in either. That said, I am a bit excited for SF3:TS Online.

[quote name='lolwut?']lol; you're taking Capcom's dick so far down your throat, if they came, jizz would probably come out of your nose.

Super was somewhat justifiable because it added a grip of new characters and a bunch of balance changes, and it came out like a year later. AE is an obvious money grab and ultimate act of troll by shitty-ass Ono-san, adding almost nothing to the game, and fucking up the balance, so that people can complain enough to "warrant" another version. This fucking troll is talking about making yearly editions of Street Fighter and you're going to run around and say "It's what the fans want!!1"? Give me a break.

And you can't even make a similar case for Marvel; the game fucking came out 4 MONTHS ago. Capcom basically charged everyone $60 to fucking beta test a game for them. If you try to argue otherwise, you're retarded, and I'm saying this as someone who LOVES Marvel.[/QUOTE]
I completely fucking agree.

[quote name='lolwut?']Capcom basically charged everyone $60 to fucking beta test a game for them.[/QUOTE]Haha. I never thought about it that way.

The more versions Capcom releases the more they care about us.

They notice something that could be better in the game so they take the time to make it better and re-release it.

Everytime I buy a super/gold/ultimate version, at the register I say "love you too Capcom"

bread's done
Back