42" Olevia HDTV 1080p 242TFHD as low as $400 at Target.

PhrostByte

CAG Newbie
So, I got one of these today.. mine was $450 out the door, that's including tax and an optional $30 three year warranty. Btw, Trakan told me about this deal and he got one too. Trakan credits zewone and slickdeals. I found a thread about it on fatwallet.com. That's a lot of crediting huh?

So here's the deal. Olevia went out of business and this TV is on clearance. IF you can get the last floor copy, it'll be an extra 30% off. If you sign up for a Target Visa card, that's an extra 10% off. That's how I got mine so cheap. Here's an inventory checker.

http://www.schumanfamily.com/fatwallet/targetasin.php?ie=UTF8&title=&zipcode=YOURZIPCODEHERE&asin=&dcpi=008-09-0992&searchButton=search&sessionID=602-5014617-7799852

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's a fantastic deal. Looks like there's one in stock at my local target, so I may have to check this out. I've been considering waiting until Black Friday, but I don't know if I could pass this up.

Yeah, I saw a few for 849 a couple weeks ago. $400 would be a steal. I paid 599 for the 237T (same thing, just 37" instead of 42") and love it. I'd love a 42 that much more though :)

Dave

i just found a target near me that has it but they're saying its 650 and not on sale/clearance. is this $400 for a floor model only?

[quote name='Garon']i just found a target near me that has it but they're saying its 650 and not on sale/clearance. is this $400 for a floor model only?[/quote]

The Target by me says $650 also but it is in the clearance section.

[quote name='asianxcore']How much would the TV be if you don't sign up for a Target card?[/quote]

It would be not 10% off. :lol:

[quote name='ajh2298']I am tempted but I think I will try and make it to next years Black Friday with my 50" 720p Sony RP LCD TV.[/quote]

Yeah well if I had that TV I wouldn't go for this one either... not much of a difference between 720p and 1080p, plus.. yours is bigger.

[quote name='letmeinnow']The Target by me says $650 also but it is in the clearance section.[/quote]

$650 is the clearance price. 30% off for a floor model and 10% off for signing up for a Target Visa brings it down to about $400.

Hmm, earlier I called and asked if the 30% off was the case. No one ever verified this was true.

Looking further into this. It seems the manager has to take off 30% if it is damaged. Also it seems most of the time they send it back to the manufacturer. Unfortunately, I don't have such a lenient manager. Maybe I should just go and break the display stand and asked for the damaged discount.

Looking even further, seem like the price of the clearanced items depends on demand in the area. Unfortunately for me, my area is pretty populated and "well-off." I even called the ghetto parts of the county, mostly the same deal.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&p=13677115

[quote name='option.iv']Hmm, earlier I called and asked if the 30% off was the case. No one ever verified this was true.

Looking further into this. It seems the manager has to take off 30% if it is damaged. Also it seems most of the time they send it back to the manufacturer. Unfortunately, I don't have such a lenient manager. Maybe I should just go and break the display stand and asked for the damaged discount.

Looking even further, seem like the price of the clearanced items depends on demand in the area. Unfortunately for me, my area is pretty populated and "well-off." I even called the ghetto parts of the county, mostly the same deal.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&p=13677115[/quote]

It doesn't have to be damaged it just has to be a floor model.

I asked several Target managers in my area and they either said no price cut off floor models or a percentage lower than 30%. You should really put YMMV on the title. Also, the clearance price of $650 is not the case in my area, it happens to be $850.

I'd also be a little reluctant with the floor models. I'd at least get a 3 year warranty from Target (within 90 days of purchase). Especially since these things run for 12 hours a day for who knows how many days.

Thanks though for the deal, I really don't look elsewhere besides CAG. Also wish best of luck with the rest of you on getting this deal.

Yeah, Target is a bit polar about the 30% off. When I worked there, I always understood that television floor models just got 30% off, period, since, you know, they've been on for thousands of hours.
I think some Targets have managers with poop stuck in their chute.

Friend of Sonic, would you say 30% off is good enough, considering they've been on for so long? Specifically concerning Olevia models?

Picked mine up yesterday for the $650 - 10$ target card sign-up. So far, I'm in love with this TV. It is my first High Def set, so I don't have much to compare it to.

[quote name='option.iv']Friend of Sonic, would you say 30% off is good enough, considering they've been on for so long? Specifically concerning Olevia models?[/QUOTE]
I'm no expert, but there's a few things to consider. The screens are designed to last at least 60,000 hours-- 12 hours a day, of being on at Target, is roughly 5,000 hours. Worst, worst case scenario they've been on 10,000 hours. But I bet it's no where near that.
However, I imagine there is a possibility that other components in the TV may be damaged from the heat of running so much each day. I don't know on that one. But I do love my 32" Olevia I have, it's worked fine. Also, many other people have Olevia's that they've loved for years.
Also, it has dropped twice in price. If it follows Target's normal routine for clearance drops, it has one more drop to come in theory. The next logical drop would be 50% off, which would make the television 475 new. Or even if you're super lucky, roughly 330 for a floor model with the additional 30%. I would say it's a miracle if somehow you beat an employee waiting for the TV to drop a third time, or if the TV's even stay in the store long enough for the drop.
One thing's for certain, 500 dollars for a floor model 42" LCD is pretty decent, even if going by Craigslist's pricing on used TVs. I'm still trying to decide if I want the TV. I'm thinking of gambling and seeing if it drops once more.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']What about the people who posted about this in the Target clearance thread weeks ago? Where are their credits? =([/quote]

I didn't even know about that.

I bought the exact same model from Target back when they were on sale for $888, and got the 3-Year warranty as well.

I can tell you with certainty that it makes an awesome 1st HDTV purchase, and is of decent size that it will be with you for many years to come, long after it is replaced, if ever, by a larger TV.

I bought mine on 6/12/08, and while I doubt I'd be able to take advantage of any price adjustment/refund, any info regarding this would be awesome (I could definitely use an extra $400 right now, as I'm sure many could).

~HotShotX

[quote name='HotShotX']I bought the exact same model from Target back when they were on sale for $888, and got the 3-Year warranty as well.

I can tell you with certainty that it makes an awesome 1st HDTV purchase, and is of decent size that it will be with you for many years to come, long after it is replaced, if ever, by a larger TV.

I bought mine on 6/12/08, and while I doubt I'd be able to take advantage of any price adjustment/refund, any info regarding this would be awesome (I could definitely use an extra $400 right now, as I'm sure many could).

~HotShotX[/quote]

You got the warranty huh.. only thing I would suggest would be trying to claim the warranty. Apparently they give you a gift card with your original purchase price on it. However, this deal is pretty YMMV. You have to get the floor model to get the 30%... if you can find this TV at this price prior to claiming your warranty.. then I might suggest going for it.

I went to two stores and one had a floor model for $650 but no 30% off since the manager said he cant since nothing is wrong and the other store had a new in box but it ranged up $1000 and he could not sell the floor model since they still have new one in back.

[quote name='ryosnk']I went to two stores and one had a floor model for $650 but no 30% off since the manager said he cant since nothing is wrong and the other store had a new in box but it ranged up $1000 and he could not sell the floor model since they still have new one in back.[/quote]

That sucks man.. I guess the damage vs. floor model pricing is pretty hit or miss.. $650 isn't necessarily a bad price but it's nothing to have an orgasm over.

Bragging time..

Old (for sale if anyone wants it:lol:):

img00045hy6.jpg

New:

img00049yn1.jpg

Pics are kind of shitty cuz they were taken with a BlackBerry.

Would anyone mind posting their settings for this TV to get the best picture? Somebody must have messed with the settings in store before I bought mine.

[quote name='Trakan']Would anyone mind posting their settings for this TV to get the best picture? Somebody must have messed with the settings in store before I bought mine.[/QUOTE]

Can't you just reset it to a default setting ( IE: Dyamic, normal, sports, movie? )

All sold out within hundreds of miles.

Hopefully Black Friday will be kind to me. Still have yet to jump on the HDTV bandwagon, and it's hurting.

[quote name='Ex~']All sold out within hundreds of miles.

Hopefully Black Friday will be kind to me. Still have yet to jump on the HDTV bandwagon, and it's hurting.[/quote]

Yeah, I noticed that on Thursday there were still a few places that had them in stock. When I went clearance game hunting yesterday at the stores those stores, I peaked over to see if they had any left and both the stores I went to were out.

I have had this for almost a week now and I absolutely love my purchase. The 360 is hooked up through HDMI and is upconverting my dvds. Everything looks amazing.

I saw this at my target and it was on clearance. It had awful looking contrast and black levels that looked like greys. Its a great buy for the price, but I demand something more out of my televisions.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']I saw this at my target and it was on clearance. It had awful looking contrast and black levels that looked like greys. I guess its okay, but if you are looking for a quality TV, look elsewhere.[/quote]
Never trust an in-store viewing of an LCD TV to evaluate it. The cheap diffused florescent lighting skews color and contrast perception way too much.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']I saw this at my target and it was on clearance. It had awful looking contrast and black levels that looked like greys. Its a great buy for the price, but I demand something more out of my televisions.[/quote]

1. Nobody is expecting the quality of a $3000 TV out of this TV.

2. Maybe the settings were messed up because somebody messed with it in store. That was the case with mine. I fixed it, and it looks great. Outrageous for the price.

[quote name='Trakan']1. Nobody is expecting the quality of a $3000 TV out of this TV.

2. Maybe the settings were messed up because somebody messed with it in store. That was the case with mine. I fixed it, and it looks great. Outrageous for the price.[/quote]

Agreed, my blacks look fine.. I'd say this is a $450 TV that compares to $1000 TV's.

For the record, Target policy is that they do not sell the display unit while they still have new units, even if the model is on clearance (obviously, since they need the display unit for customers to see).

If you buy the last unit (which will be the floor unit 99% of the time barring a weird situation like a return after the display unit has been sold), you get an additional 30% discount off the sale/clearance price.

The actual practice may vary slightly from store to store based on the employees' knowledge of the policy. One time I had to remind the employee to give me the 30% off, but it's not that surprising since it's not something that happens often (only when they're cycling out models).

So, I bought a Digital Video Essentials HD-DVD calibration disc and the set can get surprisingly close to actual setting. I only had a little bit of tweaking to do with the color setting.

Most LCDs are subpar, its the cheap panels used these days. The best are the Sony/Samsung since they both come from the same factory. Most other LCDs have lots of issues with banding and horrible scalers. A Pioneer/Panasonic plasma stomps all over 99% of LCDs on the market, and the old CRT HDTV Tube TVs are even better then that.

And that concludes our lesson for today.

[quote name='limelight022']Olevia tvs are crap. The picture is lackluster compared to the sony and westinghouse.[/QUOTE]

I like how you call Olevia's crap TV's but then refer to a Westinghouse as a good TV. You sir have no clue about TV's. Your opinion is crap.

[quote name='limelight022']Olevia tvs are crap. The picture is lackluster compared to the sony and westinghouse.[/quote]

Actually the picture is really nice.. especially when calibrated properly.

bread's done
Back