4gb of RAM on 32-bit Vista Home Premium

[quote name='sandrokstar']you have an onboard video card??? blech. hope you have a damn good processor.[/quote]

What? No, I'll be using 2 8800gt's in SLI, I just didn't think that was related to the RAM question.

Yeah, I use 4GB on 32-bit. While not all of it can be utilized, with RAM so cheap, you might as well squeeze out an extra 1.2GB :)

You are aware that you linked to a two GB kit right? That's 2GB total...

Also, why EVGA? $209 is a ton to spend on a board and if you are going to spend that much, at least go with an Asus.

32-bit operating systems can only address up to 4GB. What that means is everything your system has to talk to, from hard drives to system RAM to video card RAM, will take up space in that 4GB limit.

If you're running a single 512MB video card, you'll get a tad over 3GB available as system memory. If you're running SLI, you'll get less.

Here's an example, my computer running in 32 bit mode (can be set in my BIOS) only see's 2.62 GBs of RAM and allocates the rest ... in 64 bit mode though, it sees the full 4 gigs. Doesn't allocate any of it, which is wierd, but whatever.

Yeah, and with so many 32-bit Vistas already sold (because all the extras are warning against the awful 64-bit version), it's going to get REAL embarrassing to have a PC instead of a Mac within a couple of years. It's a sad thing for me to admit.

What are we going to do when more games start coming out that are going to need more than 2GB in order to advance technologically, and we know that an OS replacement won't be coming for another 5 years?

[quote name='Vegan']Yeah, and with so many 32-bit Vistas already sold (because all the extras are warning against the awful 64-bit version), it's going to get REAL embarrassing to have a PC instead of a Mac within a couple of years. It's a sad thing for me to admit.

What are we going to do when more games start coming out that are going to need more than 2GB in order to advance technologically, and we know that an OS replacement won't be coming for another 5 years?[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere that MS is already starting to work on a replacement for VISTA due out in 2 years.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I read somewhere that MS is already starting to work on a replacement for VISTA due out in 2 years.[/quote]

I've heard that too. It's a perfect opportunity to ditch 32-bit and ditch BIOS, which they should have done for Vista. Just take the plunge; in the long run, it's for the best.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I read somewhere that MS is already starting to work on a replacement for VISTA due out in 2 years.[/quote]

its called windows 7

[quote name='p00ndawg']its called windows 7[/QUOTE]

Is that the official name or the codename like Greenhorn or some weird shit?

[quote name='mtxbass1']You are aware that you linked to a two GB kit right? That's 2GB total...

Also, why EVGA? $209 is a ton to spend on a board and if you are going to spend that much, at least go with an Asus.[/quote]

Well if you're really picky I can go back and repost the same link twice. Haha, yes I can see that it's only 2 1gb sticks, I'll be buying 4 sticks total.

I'm going with EVGA because I've heard good things about their 680i boards, and to get the best compatibility from my EVGA 8800gt's.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Is that the official name or the codename like Greenhorn or some weird shit?[/quote]

im not sure, probably code name.

If you haven't already bought your OS, just go 64 bit. The only incompatibilities I've had so far on 64 bit Vista are with VPN (client due out early March) and trying to use Flash in Firefox x64 (works perfectly in 32bit browsers).

[quote name='Vegan']Yeah, and with so many 32-bit Vistas already sold (because all the extras are warning against the awful 64-bit version), it's going to get REAL embarrassing to have a PC instead of a Mac within a couple of years. It's a sad thing for me to admit.

What are we going to do when more games start coming out that are going to need more than 2GB in order to advance technologically, and we know that an OS replacement won't be coming for another 5 years?[/quote]

Memory requirements don't change that much in gaming. Mostly CPU and GPU processing power. Applications like photo and video editiing, yeah those gobble more memory than ever.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Is that the official name or the codename like Greenhorn or some weird shit?[/quote]

LOL, I remember Vista was "Longhorn" very early in development. I told a friend who's fairly computer literate, and he laughed and refused to believe me. Of course I couldn't find the Google link when I tried to prove it to him. He'll go to the grave thinking I made it up.

The original plan I had when I do my upgrade was this.

4 gigs of ram

dual boot
XP Home
Vista Home Premium

XP home for games/internet/typing

Vista Home Premium for after effects and everything else adobe.

OR

if SP1 fixes a lot of incompatibility issues I was planning on doing

Dual boot
Vista Home Premium
Vista Business edition 64 bit

I still haven't installed Vista Home Premium since I bought it last May from CompUSA's close out in my area...so the key is still not active.

Ugh... Avoid Vista at all costs. There's really no reason to get 4 gigs of RAM. Vista reserves way more RAM than is acceptable IMO, probably to get people in your situation to buy more RAM.

Stick with XP Pro. It's stable, it works, and it's getting a super speed boost with Service Pack 3.

[quote name='CaptainPlanet!']Well if you're really picky I can go back and repost the same link twice. Haha, yes I can see that it's only 2 1gb sticks, I'll be buying 4 sticks total.

I'm going with EVGA because I've heard good things about their 680i boards, and to get the best compatibility from my EVGA 8800gt's.[/quote]

I'd recommend you do some more research on that particular board you are looking at. EVGA is known to have terrible quality control on their motherboards. Just because your video cards are EVGA doesn't mean your motherboard has to be for the "best compatibility".

Also, why are you gimping yourself from the start? Why not just get 2, 2GB sticks instead of 4 1GB sticks?

[quote name='daphatty']Ugh... Avoid Vista at all costs. There's really no reason to get 4 gigs of RAM. Vista reserves way more RAM than is acceptable IMO, probably to get people in your situation to buy more RAM.

Stick with XP Pro. It's stable, it works, and it's getting a super speed boost with Service Pack 3.[/QUOTE]

I am hoping the sp1 fixes this unnecessary huge amount of memory it hogs up before anything else is loaded.

What about Direct X 10? We can't utilize unless we use Vista. I think the newer versions of After effects and photoshop use DX10 to greatly improve performance.

Until then I have to wait and see what SP1 brings to the table.

Agreed. Vista is unnecessary and bloated. It took me 4 hours to figure out that my co-worker's Vista install defaulted nearly every single networking feature OFF so I could get Synergy working.

Nobody should use Vista -- give MS a reason to allow XP gamers to use DX10 officially.

[quote name='daphatty']Ugh... Avoid Vista at all costs. There's really no reason to get 4 gigs of RAM. Vista reserves way more RAM than is acceptable IMO, probably to get people in your situation to buy more RAM. [/quote]

Buying the 4gb of RAM isn't to counter Vista's limitations on it, its to get the most out of games like Supreme Commander and Crysis, coupled with a nice quad-core (probably q6600 or q6850).

[quote name='mtxbass1']I'd recommend you do some more research on that particular board you are looking at. EVGA is known to have terrible quality control on their motherboards. Just because your video cards are EVGA doesn't mean your motherboard has to be for the "best compatibility".

Also, why are you gimping yourself from the start? Why not just get 2, 2GB sticks instead of 4 1GB sticks?[/quote]

Picking the EVGA board over an Asus is also because it's been listed in PCGAMER's "high end" build a couple times. Though with this feedback, I'll definitely check out what Asus has to offer.

I just found the 2x2gb link on newegg, I'll probably get that. Since SLI mobo's usually have 4 memory slots, what's the max that XP Pro will utilize? For instance, could I put in 8gb of RAM?

[quote name='daphatty']Ugh... Avoid Vista at all costs. There's really no reason to get 4 gigs of RAM. Vista reserves way more RAM than is acceptable IMO, probably to get people in your situation to buy more RAM.

Stick with XP Pro. It's stable, it works, and it's getting a super speed boost with Service Pack 3.[/quote]

the fact that you can't figure out how Vista uses ram does not make it bad

Hate to break it to everyone, but Vista is the future, whether you like it or not. There will never be official DX10 support for XP, so if someone is building a gaming computer now, they should go with Vista and not waste money having to upgrade their OS in a year or two. I would go with 64-bit, though.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Hate to break it to everyone, but Vista is the future, whether you like it or not. There will never be official DX10 support for XP, so if someone is building a gaming computer now, they should go with Vista and not waste money having to upgrade their OS in a year or two. I would go with 64-bit, though.[/quote]

Microsoft IS developing a new operating system, so Id hate to break it to you, but vista might not be the future.

It all depends on how well windows 7 turns out.

[quote name='p00ndawg']Microsoft IS developing a new operating system, so Id hate to break it to you, but vista might not be the future.

It all depends on how well windows 7 turns out.[/quote]

Microsoft is ALWAYS developing new operating systems. This is new information...how? Vista will be around for quite awhile. Hate to break to you. If someone wants a new gaming rig, Vista is the OS of choice, if they want the absolute best visuals.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Microsoft is ALWAYS developing new operating systems. This is new information...how? Vista will be around for quite awhile. Hate to break to you. If someone wants a new gaming rig, Vista is the OS of choice, if they want the absolute best visuals.[/quote]

if they are always developing new operating systems, how is vista the future? if said future, contains newer operating systems?

I didnt realize microsoft couldnt implement better visual technology in a new OS, thanks for clearing that up.:roll:

[quote name='p00ndawg']I didnt realize microsoft couldnt implement better visual technology in a new OS, thanks for clearing that up.:roll:[/quote]

If you could link us to those retailers selling Windows 7 I'm sure it'd be appreciated so we could check it out on our new gaming rigs.

Stick with XP Pro. It's stable, it works, and it's getting a super speed boost with Service Pack 3.[/quote]

My Vista is very fast and stable ... with no changes from the factory. It's when people try to take a 7 year old computer and bitch about how vista doesn't work is the problem.

I say go Vista 64 bit ... I have the Ultimate version and it's honestly amazing. 5.3 is my Vista score and that's due to my processor. Would be a 5.9 if I had it overclocked :D. I have yet to find an incompatible issue and it runs extremely stable. Again I have no problems and I have factory default settings. I plan on tweaking it to run even more in the background :D Just to see what it can handle

[quote name='n25philly']the fact that you can't figure out how Vista uses ram does not make it bad[/QUOTE]

Oh, you must be referring to Vista's "improved" caching system, whereby the OS preloads a shit ton more "assets" to provide faster loading times for various applications...

Yea, I'm the one who doesn't know what he is talking about. :roll:

bread's done
Back