4GB Xbox 360 S -- 169.99 @ Dell.com

[quote name='Zimmy']Is it easy to add a hard drive to this?[/QUOTE]

You have to buy the new 250GB HD designed specifically for it. It's $129.99, so this console is more for people who want to use USB sticks for storage.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']You have to buy the new 250GB HD designed specifically for it. It's $129.99, so this console is more for people who want to use USB sticks for storage.[/QUOTE]
You can use an "old" 360 hard drive (including hddhackr'd drives), provided you take it out of the case. The slim uses standard SATA connectors on the machine-side now, thankfully. Without the new slim HDD shell the drive's kinda floppy in there, though, so you'd want to jury-rig some support for it.

[quote name='Blackjacker']You can use an "old" 360 hard drive (including hddhackr'd drives), provided you take it out of the case. The slim uses standard SATA connectors on the machine-side now, thankfully. Without the new slim HDD shell the drive's kinda floppy in there, though, so you'd want to jury-rig some support for it.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Hopefully somebody comes up with a 3rd party HDD case. Or is there more to transferring your old hard drive then just plugging it in? Do you need to do some hack? In any case I'll have to consider an upgrade if it's that easy.

[quote name='crunchewy']Interesting. Hopefully somebody comes up with a 3rd party HDD case. Or is there more to transferring your old hard drive then just plugging it in? Do you need to do some hack? In any case I'll have to consider an upgrade if it's that easy.[/QUOTE]
If it's already a 360 HDD, just plug and go.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I'm surprised more people haven't seen this yet. I'm really tempted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKnaixPCsns[/QUOTE]
because that way is awful, there is no protection for your HDD and the chances of ruining that port are incredibly high.

it's cheaper to buy 3 16gb thumb drives from walmart and not take any chances screwing that up.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']You have to buy the new 250GB HD designed specifically for it. It's $129.99, so this console is more for people who want to use USB sticks for storage.[/QUOTE]I was wondering if that was being sold separately. Not fond of the shiny finish on the 250GB console so I've been eyeing the 4GB. Thanks for the info.

[quote name='styl3s']because that way is awful, there is no protection for your HDD and the chances of ruining that port are incredibly high.

it's cheaper to buy 3 16gb thumb drives from walmart and not take any chances screwing that up.[/QUOTE]

Probably not that hard to fab something up so it doesn't just hang like that. Plus if you already have a 120 gb or 250gb hd, why spend the extra money on thumb drives?

Just put in that soft packaging form (The stuff that is like a sponge) at the edge of the HDD. That will keep it from moving and since it is at the edge, it will not heat up.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Probably not that hard to fab something up so it doesn't just hang like that. Plus if you already have a 120 gb or 250gb hd, why spend the extra money on thumb drives?[/QUOTE]
why take a risk of destroying the sata port? sell your 120gb-250gb 360 and buy a 360 HDD or a couple of usb flash drives.

if you just bought a slim and have a 120-250gb 360 you really have no need for it, throw it on craigslist for 100-150 bucks and get yourself a HDD for the slim or 3 drives and use the extra cash on some food and a pre-order or something.

then again im picky about my electronics, im not going to ghetto my electronics up to save a few bucks and i sure as hell aren't going to take a change in ruining something on that electronic to save a few bucks.

I'd just use some adhesive backed foam weatherstripping to support the hard drive at the end... Pick it up at Lowe's or Home Depot.

[quote name='styl3s']why take a risk of destroying the sata port? sell your 120gb-250gb 360 and buy a 360 HDD or a couple of usb flash drives.

if you just bought a slim and have a 120-250gb 360 you really have no need for it, throw it on craigslist for 100-150 bucks and get yourself a HDD for the slim or 3 drives and use the extra cash on some food and a pre-order or something.

then again im picky about my electronics, im not going to ghetto my electronics up to save a few bucks and i sure as hell aren't going to take a change in ruining something on that electronic to save a few bucks.[/QUOTE]

The USBs are probably the easiest way. As for "ghetto"ing your electronics, its not all that difficult. Your basicly just plugging in a HDD into a port, its not like your doing any soldering or anything. At most youll need to put something in to keep it from moving, but even then, if your xbox stays stationary, i doubt itll be a problem. Plus this saves you the trouble of transfering all your data between multiple drives if you already have your stuff on a normal drive.

[quote name='styl3s']because that way is awful, there is no protection for your HDD and the chances of ruining that port are incredibly high.

it's cheaper to buy 3 16gb thumb drives from walmart and not take any chances screwing that up.[/QUOTE]

Well, a hard drive does a number of things which a flash drive cannot do ...

I've searched and searched for a 3rd party hard drive slim case there's none to be found. I don't mind using rigging something myself but I'm afraid of heat and static issues.

[quote name='crunchewy']Interesting. Hopefully somebody comes up with a 3rd party HDD case. Or is there more to transferring your old hard drive then just plugging it in? Do you need to do some hack? In any case I'll have to consider an upgrade if it's that easy.[/QUOTE]

In addition to what blackjacker said, removing the hard drive seems a tad bit difficult based on the youtube video that I saw. Shame... I have a 120gb drive on my old arcade; would love to crack it open and just drop it in my arcade S instead, and then buy another, cheaper old style HDD for my old arcade.

That seems pretty worthless to me. Like styl3s said, you're risking your system, and it's of limited value anyway since it only takes proprietary drives anyway.

I sooooo wish they'd just used normal drives on the new Xbox. :mad: I get it, they want to sell you the drive at inflated prices, but they'd earn good will plus rent more Live junk if they just let it use normal drives like the Playstation.

[quote name='Chemosh013']I'm surprised there isn't a Mad Catz hard disk case or something out yet. Probably wouldn't be that much to make.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking they don't want to risk their relationship with microsoft by selling something that helps people get around microsoft making money.

Does Dell actually have it in stock? Just curious since the last time I ordered something from Dell (Zune HD) they didn't actually have it and didn't get the item for weeks so I ended up cancelling(p.i.t.a.) and then got it else where.

[quote name='tlwizard']What would really make this sweet is another coupon. The hunt is on.[/QUOTE]

can't you use one of those rebate sites-i know mr rebates gives 3% cash back (it be about $5 i believe) not the best --

but their might be better ones out with a nice %10 or something to get some cash back.

that be a start.

Ordered one for my son, to replace his Jasper Arcade, as he said he wanted an S after I got my 250GB S. I have a 60GB hard drive on his Arcade, it doesn't look like it would be that hard to make a simple frame that would fit the hard drive opening, and support and stabilize the drive in it, if you want better airflow and less heat trapping than foam surrounding the drive. I have a bunch of hard drive trays from Dell laptops that have bitten the dust; think I'll try to rig up something from one of them when the 4GB S comes in.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Not fond of the shiny finish on the 250GB console so I've been eyeing the 4GB. Thanks for the info.[/QUOTE]

uh. the 4gb is as shiny as the 250gb one. :roll:

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']uh. the 4gb is as shiny as the 250gb one. :roll:[/QUOTE]
The 4 GB should have a matte finish.

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']uh. the 4gb is as shiny as the 250gb one. :roll:[/QUOTE]

That's not correct. Take a look.

4gb-vs-250gb-200.jpg

Free shipping and a co-worker's $15 Dell gift card means that I was able to grab one for $165 out of pocket. Not a bad deal.

I then proceeded to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the Playstation by paying for the balance with my Playstation Visa card. ;)

Thanks OP!

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']uh. the 4gb is as shiny as the 250gb one. :roll:[/QUOTE]Thanks for your input.

[quote name='sadboy']The 4 GB should have a matte finish.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ikaden']That's not correct. Take a look.

4gb-vs-250gb-200.jpg
[/QUOTE]From what I've seen, the faceplate is similar, but the top shell does have a matte finish.

[quote name='ikaden']That's not correct. Take a look.

4gb-vs-250gb-200.jpg
[/QUOTE]

lol. i stand corrected. looks like i'll be getting 4gb arcade if i ever replace my jasper fat with 120gb.

Can a USB Hard Drive be used to expand the storage?

[quote name='Blackjacker']You can use an "old" 360 hard drive (including hddhackr'd drives), provided you take it out of the case. The slim uses standard SATA connectors on the machine-side now, thankfully. Without the new slim HDD shell the drive's kinda floppy in there, though, so you'd want to jury-rig some support for it.[/QUOTE]

Really? Are there any odd occurrences of data getting corrupted because the hard drive was put in a different system?

[quote name='Video-Gamer']Why wont they just make a frikking 1GB version?[/QUOTE]

[rolls eyes] right, because there aren't enough bundles and versions of the 360 already.

This is a solid deal; I got mine during the awesome Target sale of the older Jaspers. Got my 360 for

Great deal, thanks for posting it. I'm half tempted to check this out, but I gotta know first... will a brick-and-mortar like, say, Best Buy price match this if I print the checkout page out and show it to 'em?

EDIT: Nvm, price is back to norm.

[quote name='Video-Gamer']Why wont they just make a frikking 1GB version?[/QUOTE]

Microsoft, like Apple and Sony, will just continue to make mild iterations on the capacity of the device in order to avoid making price cuts as long as possible.

[quote name='ikaden']Yes and that same article says there will be a patch to fix the problem.[/QUOTE]
True, but if you're looking to get one right now and try to play right now, it's something to consider.

There already is a patch to fix it anyways: shove an HDD inside of it.

Which you REALLY want anyway...which brings the price up to full Xbox levels.

The ONLY purpose I've ever seen for these hard drive-less Xboxes is for people buying a new one and using their old drive (like I did this January).

bread's done
Back