4th Smash Tourney - Battle of the Forums: CAG vs. Smogon (It's Essay Time, lol)

[quote name='JoeB1233']0_0

Okay, just the sheer awesomeness of this signature should shut Beef/suko/Kado up for good! :applause:[/quote]
Psh, nothing can shut me up.

Although, I would appreciate it if Mad D could make a sig for our team like that. >.>

In other news, I finally contacted my opponent, but unforseen circumstances led to us delaying our match. Hopefully we can get it done before the end of the week. God, I hate my job.

I choked 0-2 :lol:

dbolt won our series, using Zelda for both games, I was able to keep up with Pit, but he got those princess kicks in where it counted. Got it to 1 stock.

So I decided to go with Bowser for round 2, taking the chance that he wasn't going to go with Zelda again. Needless to say, Bowser was a princess kick magnet :cry: he was sitting pretty w/ 2 stocks left.

Sorry guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about earlier Joe, I had a few distractions going on while warming up, so my attention wasn't 100% there. Good games.

I finished my match, I'll be posting the video later.

GGS Joe, Blue, Janet & fallmoon. My hands are all sweaty now. I need to wash them.

Crap: I lost my match against a good bowster.

FD, Phiddlestick (Bowster) D. Hero (Pit), 1
Norfair, Phiddlestick (Bowster) D. Hero (falco), 2

Bowster kept dodging all my moves. And he did that piledriver on pit. He would do that spinning move when I try to get close.

For Norfair, I didn't have any character that I could use well on that stage. I should have chose Luigi. Bad hero.

Ugh.

Chali (ZSS) d. Rig (Kirby) at Smashville

Came down to the last stock. High 100%'s. The beginning of the match was extremely strange. Seemed like Zamus was speeding around all over the place (like faster than she should be!). Seemed to slow down to normal online speeds mid-match.

Chali (ZSS) d. Rig (Lucario) at Delfino Plaza

Again, down to the last stock. Not as high %-wise as the first match.

Chali (ZSS) d. Rig (Jigglypuff) at Pokemon Stadium

Got the early lead, but just couldn't finish the job (again). Down to last stock again.

Really good ZSS player. A ditto ZSS match with FallMoon's brother would probably be a lot of fun to see.

Chali, you should've hung around. I want to see how you do with other characters next time!

Thanks Rig and yeah they were pretty close matches. Also I never knew CAG had a Brawl thread so you guys might get to know me better. =)

I'd really like to do some more inter-forum tourneys, or friendlies even. The whole concept is fun.

[quote name='JoeB1233']Uh oh, we're losing pretty badly... :([/quote]

We need our singstar to pull the big win :lol:

[quote name='JoeB1233']Oh, also, we should watch what we say about them. I understand that this kind of tournament format lends itself to trash talk, but there's no need to be nasty. I don't believe we've crossed the line yet, but comments about how "Pokemon is their life" and "They are so competitive that ..." are certainly on their way. I mean, we wouldn't want to be characterized as just being dirt-poor-gamers-who-buy-second-hand-only, would we?[/quote]
I'd like to add a little to this.

Pretty much none of us play pokemon anymore, we just kind of hang around smogon for its atmosphere.

None of us are extremely competitive douche-bags either; we like to win, but we won't have a cow if we loose.

Good luck to both sides. :D

[quote name='SinPlux-Falcon']*snip*[/QUOTE]

Good to read that. While I'm looking forward to my match with Dunk, I realize that this is a online tournament... there is going to be lag and/or button delay, so with whatever outcome, I won't really care too much. I've been too spoiled by playing other people here in Texas. I'd much rather win than lose, but regardless, it's all in fun. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpZ_3qoJwP0

For some reason YouTube's new interface won't let me change the title or any other data of the video...

My thoughts on the match:

I don't know if I would have stood a chance otherwise, but I certainly got out-picked character and stage wise. As soon as I saw the Olimar vs. R.O.B. match-up, I knew I was screwed. The second stage didn't help either as I couldn't really utilize my best counter to R.O.B.

I had fun though and hope I get a chance to play him again soon. Good luck to everyone else.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']
My thoughts on the match:

I don't know if I would have stood a chance otherwise, but I certainly got out-picked character and stage wise. As soon as I saw the Olimar vs. R.O.B. match-up, I knew I was screwed. The second stage didn't help either as I couldn't really utilize my best counter to R.O.B.

I had fun though and hope I get a chance to play him again soon. Good luck to everyone else.[/quote]

Which is why I didn't like how we did stage-picking. Mr. E definitely had an advantage on Luigi's Mansion, but since he won the first game he should have had to play on your turf next.

Regardless, you did a fine job, Blue. You are getting better each and every day. :applause:

EDIT: To lurkers: Who is SinPlux-Falcon on Smogon?

[quote name='Jack']I just sent an e-mail to my opponent. Hopefully we'll play within the next day or two. Anyone want to practice now?[/quote]

I will, if we can connect.

[quote name='SinPlux-Falcon']I'd like to add a little to this.

Pretty much none of us play pokemon anymore, we just kind of hang around smogon for its atmosphere.

None of us are extremely competitive douche-bags either; we like to win, but we won't have a cow if we loose.

Good luck to both sides. :D[/quote]

Pretty much none of us are looking for good deals on games anymore, and pretty much none of the people from smashboards plays Smash Bros. Everyone just hangs around because of the atmosphere. :cool:

[quote name='FallMoon']Pretty much none of us are looking for good deals on games anymore, and pretty much none of the people from smashboards plays Smash Bros. Everyone just hangs around because of the atmosphere. :cool:[/quote]
x_x

I think I conveyed the wrong message, I meant that none of the people who you guys are fighting play pokemon anymore. Of coarse people still play pokemon on smogon, just not a lot of the SSBB players.

Sorry for any misinterpretations x_x

I forfeited.

Work is getting busier and busier for me, and I just haven't had time to play my match. So instead of making my opponent (who is very patient, something I applaud) wait for me, I decided to just let him have it.

But by the looks of things, I don't think it really mattered. :lol:

I would take Beef's place (#8 spot is calling me back) but I haven't been playing this game, but I don't think it would have mattered :lol:

[quote name='Mr. Beef']I forfeited.

Work is getting busier and busier for me, and I just haven't had time to play my match. So instead of making my opponent (who is very patient, something I applaud) wait for me, I decided to just let him have it.

But by the looks of things, I don't think it really mattered. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Hmm...I don't know what to really say besides that if we lose, you're first in line for a paragraph in our essay.

Anyways, I need to test my connection in San Diego. Let's see who's online. :D

Edit: Mad D to the rescue! I completely forgot about you!! I also think you're legit enough to play #8, you're favorite number. ;) I'm gonna talk to Zero about this to see if it's okay. I'm sure Beef's opponent would like to play a match.

Edit 2: Is there no faith on CAG? :p If we win #2, 3, and 4, we will gain 42 points.

[quote name='evergoo']
Edit: Mad D to the rescue! I completely forgot about you!! I also think you're legit enough to play #8, you're favorite number. ;) I'm gonna talk to Zero about this to see if it's okay. I'm sure Beef's opponent would like to play a match.[/QUOTE]

Aw man put me on the spot there! I'm thinking about it, I don't think I'm good enough tough.

Well, I lost.

I won the first round, but I don't think he was playing seriously. Lost the next two. All three matches were my ROB vs. his Sonic. I probably should have used Pikachu. Oh well.

Thanks for all the practice earlier Blue, Goo, and Joe.

:lol: Goo is putting me on the spot, he put my name as rank 8. Right now I want to say it is still Beef's forfeit but If things say the same or get even worse, I'll have nothing to lose or gain and I'll give it a try.

[quote name='Jack'] I probably should have used Pikachu. [/QUOTE] I think you use pikachu much better than ROB. Its ok tough Jack.

[quote name='Jack'] I probably should have used Pikachu. [/QUOTE] I think you use pikachu much better than ROB. Its ok tough Jack.

You did your best, Jack! :)

@ Smogon Lurkers: Thanks for the CAG messages on your forums, guys. ;)

My match is in 1.5 hours. Would anyone like to warm me up while I wait?

Btw, I'll post my new sig once I win my match. You guys can also expect to see 2 new SingStar videos today. Choose which one you want me to send them!

GGs Jack. Before we PM'd one another, I thought we never played before but we have! In fact, you're my doppelganger. :lol:

If anyone still wants to warm me up, hop on!

Edit: Who will win? Strell or Error Code? :rofl:

I lost. :lol:

Game 1: Snake d. Peach @ FD, 1 stock.
Very close match. Could have gone either way.

Game 2: Peach d. Snake @ Jungle Japes, 2 stocks.
Rape. Godkick is futile with such a high ceiling.

Game 3: Peach d. Snake @ Corneria, 1 stock.
Should have played smarter and less aggressive. We were both campy.

When I saw a Peach in the first match, I already knew what I was getting myself into. That is, expect aerial kicks galore. Thank goodness I went to that tourney with DMK to minimize the floaty kicks and crown attacks from HotGarbage. Anyways, it looks like HotGarbage will upload our matches.

Well, I'm about to get my SingStar videos ready. You guys should start thinking about what you wanna say in your essays. :p

Here's the format:
Paragraph 1 - Why we suck at Smash
Paragraph 2 - Why they're great at Smash
Paragraph 3 - What ways can we improve?

Feel free to post them on CAG. Btw, not everyone has to write one and we could collaborate to form an essay longer than 3 paragraphs (person A takes paragraph 1, person B takes paragraph 2, etc.)

[quote name='evergoo']GGs Jack. Before we PM'd one another, I thought we never played before but we have! In fact, you're my doppelganger. :lol:
[/QUOTE]

You forgot we played before? Jeez. If it wasn't for you, I probably wouldn't have given ROB a second chance. The ROB vs. ROB matches are always fun.

[quote name='Jack']You forgot we played before? Jeez. If it wasn't for you, I probably wouldn't have given ROB a second chance. The ROB vs. ROB matches are always fun.[/quote]

I think I've been in the middle of a ROB sandwich between you two before. I can't remember, but I'll assume it wasn't a good time.

[quote name='evergoo']I lost. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Is Fallmoon going to be the only one to win?

I think we should just stick foltzie or Yukine in for the heck of it. :lol:

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Is Fallmoon going to be the only one to win?

I think we should just stick foltzie or Yukine in for the heck of it. :lol:[/QUOTE]

It would at least give you something to talk about for reasons CAG sucks at SMASH.

bread's done
Back