$5 Off Games at Hollywood Video - Some New Titles as low as $5

KABUKISTAR

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I *think* this is nationwide, but there's a sale going on at HWV where new games are $5 off. I was just there and there were a number of $5 games ($10, with a $5 discount) in a little stand.

X360:
Lego Batman
Lego Indiana Jones
Infinite Undiscovery
PS3:
Lair
Wii:
Samba de Amigo, and I think a couple other ones.

I was able to pick up Indefinite Undiscovery, Lego Batman, Lego Indiana Jones and Lair for $5 each after he scan a bar code at checkout. They also had a promo where all new games are $19.99 or less but nothing but junk left.

[quote name='Sonichigh']I was able to pick up Indefinite Undiscovery, Lego Batman, Lego Indiana Jones and Lair for $5 each after he scan a bar code at checkout. They also had a promo where all new games are $19.99 or less but nothing but junk left.[/QUOTE]
Had the same basic experience, except I didn't buy Indy, already having it. Although it took the manager a few minutes to find the bar code to scan. Also, it would only take $5 off one game, so she just rang them up separately. Relative minor inconveniences.

[quote name='Sonichigh'] They also had a promo where all new games are $19.99 or less but nothing but junk left.[/QUOTE]

ALL new games $19.99 or less? Anyone confirm? Pretty sure I saw Batman AA for sale in the glass case, I'd definitely pick that up!

[quote name='J7.']Were these available for $5 for PS3 as well?
X360:
Lego Batman
Lego Indiana Jones[/QUOTE]

Yes, I was able to find both for that price.

[quote name='dinovelvet']ALL new games $19.99 or less? Anyone confirm? Pretty sure I saw Batman AA for sale in the glass case, I'd definitely pick that up![/QUOTE]

Yeah, definatley want a confirmation on this..

[quote name='Burchamj']Yeah, definatley want a confirmation on this..[/QUOTE]

At the end of the last sale ($29.99 used=> $4.99 ) one of my local stores changed their format. I witnessed the manager strip all the displays of everything and box and prepare to ship off many items. When I asked her what was going on, she said that her store will only be selling lower priced games in the future, no $59 new games etc.. Looks like some stores will only sell games at that lower price point (19.99 or less), and not carry any new/expensive games. Now they have way less games. Though I believe they had some guitar hero bundles there for more than 19.99.

was at my hwv and nothing. The guy price checked the games on the computer and they came up reg price. Does it make a difference if they physical scan the game rather than just look it up on the computer? Do they have to scan a bar code of some sort afterwards for 5 off?

[quote name='Toss']At the end of the last sale ($29.99 used=> $4.99 ) one of my local stores changed their format. I witnessed the manager strip all the displays of everything and box and prepare to ship off many items. When I asked her what was going on, she said that her store will only be selling lower priced games in the future, no $59 new games etc.. Looks like some stores will only sell games at that lower price point (19.99 or less), and not carry any new/expensive games. Now they have way less games. Though I believe they had some guitar hero bundles there for more than 19.99.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what happened to my store after the last sale. We became a discount gamezone with only new games $20 and under. ... we were late to ship our guitar hero bundles out because they're difficult to ship out so thats probably the case with that store as well.

[quote name='vic_x51']was at my hwv and nothing. The guy price checked the games on the computer and they came up reg price. Does it make a difference if they physical scan the game rather than just look it up on the computer? Do they have to scan a bar code of some sort afterwards for 5 off?[/QUOTE]

they have to scan a barcode...

[quote name='vic_x51']how would i go about in asking them too?[/QUOTE]

hm...from the last hwv sale forum I heard all sorts of problems with getting employees to scan barcodes or look up prices of which I never understood because its so simple to do...i do it all the time.

well I guess if its a different employee just tell them that you wanted to get some more games for there $5 off all $10 priced new games sale ...if they ring them up without scanning the barcode again ...just mention it to them straight. They should then look for a barcode to scan. I hope that works. They should know about the sale through there intranet.

Thankfully, the $5 sale made me friends with half of the HWV staff. Their store didn't have any games shipped out, but it might happen sooner or later.

Confirmed the deal at a store by me. All of the $10 stuff was not marked, but the employees knew about it and they had signs up for the $5 off code.

The signs from corporate do say "select games" but from what I was told, the store got notification to scratch off "select" and put in "all".

Too bad they wouldn't have a glitch in the system where all games were $10 plus $5 off. I'd grab a few newer releases for flipping for cash to GS, then return and repeat until the cases are all empty of newer stuff.

As far as I understand, there are three kinds of Hollywood Video locations, with regards to games:
*Those that have a Gamecrazy in them
*Those that don't have a Gamecrazy, but the HWV sells game systems
*Those that don't have a Gamecrazy and don't sell game systems.

The one that I found this deal at was the second kind of Hollywood video. I know sometimes they restrict game-related sales to only certain kinds of HWV locations (like they did with the all-used-games-for-$5 sale).

My HWV didn't know about this deal when I hit them yesterday evening after work. Infinite Undiscovery was listed $19.99 but I asked the store associate to ring it up and it came to $10. I asked about the $5 off deal and this was when the manager came in. He was reluctant to give me the $5 off but after a bit of pleading on my part (I told him it was listed on the HWV website), he gave in. So this deal is definitely YMMV...

[quote name='ASLplease']$5 for Lair, worth it?[/QUOTE]
Yes, don't listen to the retards just saying nope.

The main complaint about Lair was the shitty horrid controls which forced you to use the sixaxis.

That was before the patch, now you can control the game using analog sticks, it added rumble for DS3, two new dragons, new music tracks, and a better lock on system. The "new" game is actually fun and for 5 bucks, it's more than worth it. Too bad they had to make such poor choices at the launch of this game.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Too bad they wouldn't have a glitch in the system where all games were $10 plus $5 off. I'd grab a few newer releases for flipping for cash to GS, then return and repeat until the cases are all empty of newer stuff.[/QUOTE]

OK, thanks for letting us all know how you would make a lot of imaginary profit by way of a non-existant deal that you just made up.

[quote name='estofan'] So this deal is definitely YMMV...[/QUOTE]

Not really YMMV, more like ECMV

(Employee Competence May Vary)

According to one of my local HWV stores, the $5 off games is ONLY when you trade in 2 games(no minimum trade value on games that I know of, so you could buy 2 old Madden games from GS for $1 each to get the deal) and it's only certain games that're down to $10 already in their system.

So, if some of you have been getting the $5 discount without trading in two games, apparently that's an abuse of the barcode/promo and whoever does it for you could be fired.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']According to one of my local HWV stores, the $5 off games is ONLY when you trade in 2 games(no minimum trade value on games that I know of, so you could buy 2 old Madden games from GS for $1 each to get the deal) and it's only certain games that're down to $10 already in their system.

So, if some of you have been getting the $5 discount without trading in two games, apparently that's an abuse of the barcode/promo and whoever does it for you could be fired.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't sound right. Unless I missed something, the only stores people are getting these at are the non-GC ones. And unless I missed something else, non-GC stores don't take trade-ins. Or at least none of the ones in my area.

I don't think it's an abuse. I remember seeing an advert for it online that mentioned the $5 off as being part of the sale on some games (even without the trade-in)

Edit: here it is

Decent deal, I picked up Mercenaries 2, Lego Batman, Lego Indiana Jones, and Infinite Undiscovery for $5 each. I didn't really need any of them, but for $5 who cares!

went back to my hwv. Talked to one of the guys, who was the store director, and he was extremely helpfully. Went out of his way to find the deal for me as well as tell me about the other deals posted above by Kabukistar. Ended up getting star wars unleashed for 10. Most help ive ever gotten in any other game store.

Went to my HWV again, told them they need to scan a bar code, and then was rudely told that they couldn't find it and so it didn't exist.

Can anyone tell me what the bar code is labeled as (and, at best, if you work at a HWV, can you scan it/take a picture of it?).

[quote name='zenintrude']Went to my HWV again, told them they need to scan a bar code, and then was rudely told that they couldn't find it and so it didn't exist.

Can anyone tell me what the bar code is labeled as (and, at best, if you work at a HWV, can you scan it/take a picture of it?).[/QUOTE]

The barcode is in their MAG (Marketing Action Guide), and it is labeled BIG SALE - NEW GAMES or something like that. I don't remember the actual code though. If they give you any crap about it only being on select games ask them to check the Big Sale memo on the intranet. It's sad that employees are rude to customers. Even if they are only making minimum wage, we're all humans. Everyone deserves common courtesy, right?

My location searched and searched and kept saying that there is no record of this deal, telling them it was online yielded no better results because the guys continued to look and just say no. Ill check back today or something and hopefully I can nab a manager or someone who knows what is up, I want Lego Batman for $5!

[quote name='BrolyB593']My location searched and searched and kept saying that there is no record of this deal, telling them it was online yielded no better results because the guys continued to look and just say no. Ill check back today or something and hopefully I can nab a manager or someone who knows what is up, I want Lego Batman for $5![/QUOTE]

Indeed... what a terribly organized and run company. No wonder they're losing miserably to Blockbuster.

[quote name='zenintrude']Indeed... what a terribly organized and run company. No wonder they're losing miserably to Blockbuster.[/QUOTE]

which is extra sad because blockbuster is losing miserably to redbox and netflix :lol:

My hole in the wall HWV started having "games for sale" and used games for sale. It's amazing they can fit that in let alone the Blu Rays. It's also amazing it's still around.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Lego Batman, Lego Indy and Mercenaries 2 all rang up 9.99. How is everyone getting the additional $5 off?[/QUOTE]

There's a $5 off any new game barcode at the register. Look around the store for some sort of sign.

Picked up a small pile of games at one HWV (including 3 old sports games that were priced at $4.99....), but my local one says it's only the games on the sign that are $5 off. I'll come back tomorrow.

im hoping they get more stuff in.

i got infinite undiscovery for 5 bucks and noticed i can get like 8.95 credit at toysrus lol. or trade it towards getting the extra 20 bucls at gamestop but ya.

deal last until oct12th right? that kinda sucks cuz we probably wont get anymore sweet deals tell then.

I hit 4 HWV around my area and only got success at 2 of them regarding the $5 off deal (the other two claimed they never heard of this deal and didn't even bother to check). I managed to pick up one copy each of Infinite Discovery, Lego Batman and Jericho for $5 each. It's too much of a YMMV for me to drive around especially since most of the employees have no idea what's going on for the deal.

Strange happenings with this deal.

I went in to my local store and the guy working knew all about the deal. I got several games (Lego Batman 360/PS3, Mercs 2 360/PS3, IU, and Lego Indy 360) and the bar code only worked on the first one he rang up. So he just manually adjusted the rest to $4.99. Nice.

I went back later to pick up Lego Indy for the PS3 and this time someone else was there who knew there was supposed to be a deal but couldn't find the bar code and just manually adjusted it for me.

The only signage up was for the $5 extra trade-in deal. I can see how it is pretty easy to get these mixed up so I'm glad my purchases were relatively hassle-free.

Definite YMMV on this deal.. The local HWV I went to would only honor the 4 games on the sign as $5 off, which pretty much sucks as the store and most of the stores in the area on sells $20 and under new games.

I should try and check the other local HWV store, since the first one(the one I never have any real luck at with game deals)I checked at only said they had the $5 off with two game trades deal going on. They had signs up stating that deal, though again I wonder if it'd require a certain level of game trades or if I could just buy 2 Madden games for PS2 with some leftover GS credit and dump those @ HWV.

Even if I took a loss on the Madden games, it'd be worth it to get another game for way under retail.

[quote name='tardoman']The barcode is in their MAG (Marketing Action Guide), and it is labeled BIG SALE - NEW GAMES or something like that. I don't remember the actual code though. If they give you any crap about it only being on select games ask them to check the Big Sale memo on the intranet. It's sad that employees are rude to customers. Even if they are only making minimum wage, we're all humans. Everyone deserves common courtesy, right?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this info, I'm going to go back and see if I can get it to work, again my store was clueless and less than helpful. Thanks again.

[quote name='io']Strange happenings with this deal.

I went in to my local store and the guy working knew all about the deal. I got several games (Lego Batman 360/PS3, Mercs 2 360/PS3, IU, and Lego Indy 360) and the bar code only worked on the first one he rang up. So he just manually adjusted the rest to $4.99. Nice.[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened here. The clerk just rang each one up individually.

[quote name='Ares']Definite YMMV on this deal.. The local HWV I went to would only honor the 4 games on the sign as $5 off, which pretty much sucks as the store and most of the stores in the area on sells $20 and under new games.[/QUOTE]

So I guess the sale for 5 new movies for $25 in the ad is only for those 4 movies plus one duplicate? I was told the same thing initially, but I don't think the store didn't have any of those games.

[quote name='dinovelvet']OK, thanks for letting us all know how you would make a lot of imaginary profit by way of a non-existant deal that you just made up.[/QUOTE]

:rofl: This sounds like a great idea for a new thread...

bread's done
Back