$5 off Half Life 2: The Orange Box and Assassin's Creed at Amazon. Free Shipping!

Man, hadn't seen that cover art. It really sucks. I guess when you can count on a game to sell itself you don't have to waste a lot of time on marketing or packaging, but still ...

Free two day shipping + no tax = preordered. Thanks OP!

That is indeed the official cover. I think Valve wanted something that explicitly advertised the shear amount of games the package has. It still looks cluttered, though. Give me a steel book special edition with a kick ass cover, throw in something like HL1 Source (which I imagine will eventually come out on XBLA), and I'd easily part with $10 more.

44.99 is a good price for the PC version, but I get the feeling that Fry's will probably have it on sale for 39.99 the day of release, so I may hold off for now. But it's tempting. Thank you for this!

I'll pass for now. It was stupid of them to kill off the package without HL2 and HL2 Ep1- now I'll have extra copies of both games and won't know what to do with them.

I never liked Half Life 1 much, but this box seems to good to pass up. I know Portal is going to be short, but I'm excited about it. I played "Narbacular Drop" which is a freeware game with portals... and all the developers got picked up to work on Portal. It's neat to see freeware guys make it big :applause: .

[quote name='Sideswiper']I never liked Half Life 1 much, but this box seems to good to pass up. I know Portal is going to be short, but I'm excited about it. I played "Narbacular Drop" which is a freeware game with portals... and all the developers got picked up to work on Portal. It's neat to see freeware guys make it big :applause: .[/QUOTE]

Not the first time, they also bought counter strike.

Where is this news that they canceled the other version sans ep1 and hl2?

[quote name='crzyboy88']
Sorry, deal is not applicable for the PS3 version...[/QUOTE]

FTFL!! WTF?????? Why are we PS3 owners continually getting hosed???

The Orange Box
Other products by Electronic Arts
Platform: PLAYSTATION 3 | ESRB Rating: Rating Pending
List Price: $59.99
Price: $59.95 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details

****You Save: $0.04*****

[quote name='BULL_Ship']Not the first time, they also bought counter strike.

Where is this news that they canceled the other version sans ep1 and hl2?[/quote] It was like on every major game website....

Valve will probably have a 10% off preorder special for PC users that buy through the store like they did with Ep 1, right?

[quote name='expane']FTFL!! WTF?????? Why are we PS3 owners continually getting hosed???

The Orange Box
Other products by Electronic Arts
Platform: PLAYSTATION 3 | ESRB Rating: Rating Pending
List Price: $59.99
Price: $59.95 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details

****You Save: $0.04*****[/QUOTE]

PS3 owners are getting hosed? You're saving 4 cents. Don't be so ungrateful :D.

Does anyone know of any retailer that has preorder or bonus swag?
The discount is nice, but I'd love to see what they can come up with as far as bonus goodies are concerned.

there is also $5 off assasin's creed. maybe the OP can update the title to reflect that, since it probably doesn't need its own thread

[quote name='SoulReaver']Crappiest. Cover. Ever.[/quote]

Read my mind.

Seriously, making it completely orange with the HL logo would have even been better.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']Does anyone know of any retailer that has preorder or bonus swag?
The discount is nice, but I'd love to see what they can come up with as far as bonus goodies are concerned.[/QUOTE]

Doubt it, this is EA afterall.

Lol, I remember Valve saying how EA originally wanted to split the collection into separate games to make more money.

[quote name='Vinny']I'll pass for now. It was stupid of them to kill off the package without HL2 and HL2 Ep1- now I'll have extra copies of both games and won't know what to do with them.[/quote]

If you're going to buy it you may as well buy this.

"We're going to have one package, The Orange Box, available on the PC (US$49.99) as well as the 360 and PS3 (US$ 59.99). In addition to the three new products -- Portal, Team Fortress 2, and Half-Life: Episode Two -- The Orange Box will also contain the full version of Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2: Episode One. Those who purchase the PC version of The Orange Box will get three separate Steam product codes: One for the three new games, one for HL2, and one for Episode One. This way a PC Orange Box owner can give away their Half-Life 2 or Episode One unused Steam product codes if they don't need a copy of those games. We are excited to deliver the highest value of new gaming content ever offered in one box."

[quote name='SoulReaver']It was like on every major game website....[/quote]I think I'm reading something wrong here.

What was cut from Orange Box which was originally intended to be included?

[quote name='guinaevere']I think I'm reading something wrong here.

What was cut from Orange Box which was originally intended to be included?[/quote]
I think the deal was they weren't releasing a package for fans who happen to already own HL2 and Episode 1 and only want the new content. Thus forcing them to rebuy something they already own.

[quote name='guinaevere']I think I'm reading something wrong here.

What was cut from Orange Box which was originally intended to be included?[/QUOTE]

Like Pooky said, we're not missing out on anything.

Some PC users are getting sort of screwed but if you're like me and longing to hang up your technically impressive but obviously overwhelmed original Xbox version of HL2, you're set.

It hadn't occurred to me that they might design a wretched looking box to encourage people to pay an extra $10 for the special edition. Ingenious!

[quote name='ozzymandd']Free two day shipping + no tax = preordered. Thanks OP!

That is indeed the official cover. I think Valve wanted something that explicitly advertised the shear amount of games the package has. It still looks cluttered, though. Give me a steel book special edition with a kick ass cover, throw in something like HL1 Source (which I imagine will eventually come out on XBLA), and I'd easily part with $10 more.[/quote]

To all the complaints about the cover, remember that after you buy the game, you don't play the cover. They could make it puke green for all I care.

bread's done
Back