50% off DVD/Blu Ray Box Sets at Borders till 12/31

Wow I did not read good catch. This blows nevermind then. Just lock this thread as it really isn't worh it. It looks in store that you can use it for any though? Kind of confusing.

The online list is crap. The only thing I'm remotely interested in is the Monty Python Flying Circus set. Anyone know how low that set has sold for? Is $44 a good price?

edit: Amazon has it for $41.99 regular price. fuck Borders

You deduct this 50% percent off from original price. So let's say if you buy Alien Anthology Blu-Ray $135 - 50% off = $67.50...LMAO! Not much of a deal! Better go with Barnes and Noble that has 25% off and on top of their sales price... Not original price...

I love borders for their books but their DVD prices are ridiculous. If you are interested in the Pillairs of Earth Blu-Ray (based off of Ken Follet's novel) then the price isn't that bad with the extra 10% off. It would come to $29.70 (plus tax) that way. I'm thinking of picking this up. I have been looking for a deal on this for a while. The cheapest I have seen amazon have it for is $38 I think.

Ugh! I was looking at getting Mystery Science Theater XIX with this but bletch! What do you think my chances are this will work in the store?

you can get some decent deals with coupons normally from borders... well if you are selective on what you buy.

but this one is a disappointment.

Todays Wall Street Journal had an article about Borders not paying their bills. If you have any gift cards for Borders better use them soon because they might not be around much longer.

The Borders near our apartment has Battlestar Galactica box set for $189.99. Still deciding on getting it for $95 or just put in a bit more for the bluray.

Borders paid off insanely for me. I knew I was buying the Lost Complete Blu Ray Collection (came to $136.09 not to shabby for it saved about 25% off the Amazon price). More importantly as I stumbled around the Blu Ray case low and behold the Watchmen Ultimate Cut was sitting there. I brought it to the register rang up $59.99 but wouldn't scan with my coupon. Fortunately, the cashier forced it through and gave me the discount so it came to $29.15 after tax (and my Border Reward Plus membership). All in all the damage came to $165.09 and I came away with an unopened OOP copy of Watchmen for under $30. Haven't decided to sell it and make a profit or keep it.

[quote name='ITDEFX']ahh crap I forgot borders is kinda in trouble. Honestly right now they have better coupons and deals than BN.[/QUOTE]

They sure didn't seem in trouble today. I had to wait in line for a while as there were a dozen people in front of me with armloads of books! Though to be fair to the Borders staff, the line moved very quickly and one woman even went out of her way to help me find the MST3K Volume XIX set.

I really hope they don't go under because the ones around us are so much better than B&N.

For books I try to support the local bookstore my fiancee works at whenever possible.

borders is on the verge of bankruptcy... there's questions if they will be able to pay their debtors this coming year...

barnes & noble is looking for a buyer...

so.

For what it's worth, here's a 50% off one item (any item, minus a few restrictions in the fine print) coupon that's good today (well, what's left of today, anyway, most east coast stores are closed now or closing in the next 40 minutes) and tomorrow.

http://www.bordersmedia.com/coup/50saitem20110101.html

I went to one store tonight and couldn't find anything that I even wanted that would have been a good deal at 50% off. At another store, I grabbed the Exorcist blu-ray, which I've been looking at for a while now, for $17.50 -- not a great price (only $2.50 less than Amazon was selling it for a few weeks ago), but at least a little better than I've seen. Overall, though, Borders just disappoints me anymore.

[quote name='arcane93']Overall, though, Borders just disappoints me anymore.[/QUOTE]

Completely unrelated to the Borders discussion, but why do people have such a hard time using the word "anymore" properly? I see this far too often.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Completely unrelated to the Borders discussion, but why do people have such a hard time using the word "anymore" properly? I see this far too often.[/QUOTE]

Completely unrelated to the Borders discussion, but why do people have to be pedantic jackasses over forum posts? I see this far too often.

Or, to put it (a bit) less caustically:

http://alt-usage-english.org/anymore.html

See the "regional or dialectical" usage section at the end. This is a quickly typed forum post (the likes of which tend to model after informal spoken English), not a fucking English paper.

[quote name='arcane93']Completely unrelated to the Borders discussion, but why do people have to be pedantic jackasses over forum posts? I see this far too often.

See the "regional or dialectical" usage section at the end. This is a quickly typed forum post (the likes of which tend to model after informal spoken English), not a fucking English paper.[/QUOTE]

I think somebody took my post *far* too seriously. But I still call bull on using it improperly!

[quote name='arcane93']Completely unrelated to the Borders discussion, but why do people have to be pedantic jackasses over forum posts? I see this far too often.

See the "regional or dialectical" usage section at the end. This is a quickly typed forum post (the likes of which tend to model after informal spoken English), not a fucking English paper.[/QUOTE]

It's Kirin, their job is to be a stuck-up dick about everything, but their specialty is anime.

Anyways, going to see if my Borders has any good RPG core rulebooks, I'd buy almost any game at 50% off cover.

[quote name='georox']It's Kirin, their job is to be a stuck-up dick about everything, but their specialty is anime.[/QUOTE]

All I have to say about that is... Elfen Lied sucks.

[quote name='georox']It's Kirin, their job is to be a stuck-up dick about everything, but their specialty is anime.
[/QUOTE]
Truth

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']All I have to say about that is... Elfen Lied sucks.[/QUOTE]

Go back to the corner with chuplayer!

Hmm.. I wonder if my Borders has any KMFDM CD's left... last time they did.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I think somebody took my post *far* too seriously.[/QUOTE]

Oh, don't worry, Kirin, I take very little that you have to say seriously. But if someone decides to direct a douchebag comment at me (even if it is worded in a passive-aggressive generalized manner), I'm going to respond.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']But I still call bull on using it improperly![/QUOTE]

Which part do you call bullshit on? That it's a colloquial usage, or that I don't take several minutes before hitting "submit" to be certain that my posts to a gaming forum are in the Queen's English?

Actually, if you want to get technical about it, there is no proper usage for "anymore" in the Queen's English. The dialectical differences which exist in American English came about largely through colloquial usage which became common enough to be accepted as standard (and even then, American English in any form was considered "incorrect" until Noah Webster developed his dictionary in the early 19th century). Language is a continuously shifting and evolving entity (thank goodness, otherwise we'd all still be speaking like Beowulf -- Hwæt!), and as you note, you hear this colloquial usage "far too often" -- it is not unreasonable to hypothesize that it may become a standard usage in the not too distant future.

This is not to say, of course, that I'm equally accepting of all colloquial usages -- I had never heard "on accident" used in place of "by accident" before moving to the DC area, and that one's like nails on a chalkboard. I'm smart enough to keep my damn mouth shut, though, when I'm not teaching an English class or helping someone to edit something for publication.

I will agree with you on Elfen Lied, though. I couldn't get through more than one episode of that one.

bread's done
Back