50% off Gamers Club Unlocked, 3/20/14 to 3/22/14

WuTangSwordsman

CAGiversary!
Fellow CAG Members,

If this has already been posted, my bad... However, for those of you who missed out on the deal before, it looks as if BB is giving you another shot. Just happened to run across this, so I thought I would pass it along just in case.

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Latest-Greatest/50-off-Gamers-Club-Unlocked-3-20-14-to-3-22-14/ba-p/798322

Being that I have saved so much with this site, I figured it was the least I could do to help some of you fellow CAGs out there looking for the deal! It is IN-STORE and only good for the dates posted in the Subject line... Good luck and possible YMMV!

I told you guys all about this. If you didn't get the membership immediately then they rang it up wrong and would need to refund/recharge to get it to apply.
Yeah, I had your post pulled up on my phone and told the customer service guy about it. He tried doing a return/recharge, but said the system wouldn't let him. Maybe he didn't know how to do it right, I don't know.

Look at it like this man: As many other members have said (including a couple in this very thread!) this is ultimately a waste of money, even at $60. It only works on new games that you don't PM and don't have any hardware bundled with it. Unless you are buying a ton of new games right at launch, or buy every last damn thing that's on sale, you'll really struggle to make your money back. These constant "sales" on the membership just drive that point home even more, obviously Best Buy is having a lot of trouble getting people to sign up.

Had GCU worked on items you price matched AND worked on movies/cds I would probably bite at $30, hell MAYBE even $60. But my roommate (who got it for $30) has found it to be a colossal waste of money thus far, and since he doesn't have a PS4/XB1 I doubt that's gonna change.
I've already made over half the cost of it back, and I just signed up at the beginning of march. Only bought 2 games btw. No CEs

If you like to play games on release and are willing to trade in some of themrather than keep them in your library forever, you can quickly make your money back. If you like to keep your games, you can still make it back, but it is slower.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I had your post pulled up on my phone and told the customer service guy about it. He tried doing a return/recharge, but said the system wouldn't let him. Maybe he didn't know how to do it right, I don't know.
More likely it's because the membership is no longer $60?

More likely it's because the membership is no longer $60?
Don't think that was it. He was easily able to adjust a new membership down to $60 when he funded it with Best Buy credit at least. I think the screen simply said the GCU membership was a non-refundable item.

I have a couple questions for you all.  How much of a bonus do we get on Trade-Ins and Purchases with the Gamers Club Unlocked compared to the normal My Best Buy program?  Also, do we get Best Buy Reward Zone Points on purchases we do with Best Buy Gift Cards or do we need to use other forms of payment to receive them?  The reason I ask is because I can purchase Best Buy Gift Cards at my local Krogers for 6% Cash Back from an AMEX BCP card, but it makes much more sense to use another Cash Back Credit Card at Best Buy proper if that's the only way to get Best Buy's Reward Zone Points in addition to that (especially during the 2 X or 5 X Points Special Events). 

Thanks in advance for any help.  :)

GCU gives 10% extra trade in on base values just like Pro for Gamestop.

Purchases where gift cards are used will not give rewards points; partial payment with certs or GCs will only give points on the amount payed via other methods.  You only get points if cash or a card is the payment method.

GCU gives 10% extra trade in on base values just like Pro for Gamestop.

Purchases where gift cards are used will not give rewards points; partial payment with certs or GCs will only give points on the amount payed via other methods. You only get points if cash or a card is the payment method.
Thank you for your quick response! I will start paying for Best Buy stuff using another payment now unless there is a fantastic deal on Gift Cards that make it the better offer.

Yeah, not getting points on purchases with a gift card stink :( But I guess I can understand it. I traded in a few games and used the gift card and was wondering why it said "0 points earned" in the order history. Then I read the fine print :p Oh well

Signed up last friday and have made half of the $60 back already with 3 game purchases :D

Does anyone else have to use GCU through customer service? It does not work on the normal registers for me anymore
Don't you just give them your mybestbuy phone number? Everything else (GCU discounts) is automatically put in the system once they get your number. Is your phone number not recognized?

Thank you for your quick response! I will start paying for Best Buy stuff using another payment now unless there is a fantastic deal on Gift Cards that make it the better offer.
There`s only one way to double dip pts from a BB GC or BB pre-paid visa purchase to another form of payment that`ll net rz pts. Does wonders for elite plus if needed & depending on the amounts it`s +10 after fees.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/325562-best-buy-5x-points-on-in-store-purchases-friday-through-saturday-30-off-select-3ds-xl-systems/page-3

Does anyone else have to use GCU through customer service? It does not work on the normal registers for me anymore
You should pm a BB mod, sounds like your Mybb account + GCU aren`t linked correctly.

That all goes back into "buying a ton of games at launch" post, since very few collector's editions seem to survive past maybe one price drop. Though how you say that brings them close to the standard releases is beyond me, since I don't think I've ever bought a CE under $100 which is still a $20 difference.

If you find yourself buying a ton of CE's then yeah it's certainly worth $60, I don't think anybody will debate that. But if the goal is to get your games as cheaply as possible then CE's aren't practical and neither is GCU for that matter.
GCU brings the bravely Default CE price to the same as the standard edition (and pretty much gets you a $5 gift card on top of it), it also brings the stick of truth CE down from 79.99 to 64 bucks, and then again... 5 dollar gift cert. Same goes for Infamous Second Son.

So that is 3 CE in 3 months for a savings of 52 dollars. (10 dollars saved on bravely default, 16 saved on South Park + a $5 cert, 16 saved on Second Son + a $5 cert). To me that is MASSIVELY worth it, and doesn't have me buying "tons of games at launch".

Additionally, if you're not a collector and really just trying to play the most games for the cheapest (as you said this wasn't good for) this is pretty insane as well. Being able to buy a game like South Park on launch day for 48 bucks (don't forget that 5 dollar gift card) play it, and trade it in a week or 2 later for 44 dollars is pretty effing awesome. For the mathematically impaired, you're getting the experience of that game on launch for a total of FOUR dollars out of your pocket.

You can probably convince yourself that GCU STILL isn't a good deal, but I would say its likely stubbornness at this point. Whether you're a collector building your collection or someone trying to play a bunch of newer games really cheap, there are many uses and ways to take advantage of GCU, and it seems like most people who have dished out the money are more than happy with it (and being the stingy place that CAG is, I bet we would hear about it if they weren't). And again, you dint have to buy TONS of anything, 3 titles in 3 months pretty much paid for my whole subscription.

bread's done
Back