$500 TCL P Series This Saturday

What sucks is that HDMI 2.1 TVs are getting ready to be the new thing. It's a big deal for gamers like us so I am debating on waiting for those. This TCL is not HDMI 2.1.
In 2019? In 2020? In 2021? Where does it say 2019 and where do you foresee HDMI 2.1 being sub $600? $700? Yes the XBox X takes advantage of HDMI 2.1 and VRR but right now the Samsung QLEDS that take advantage of are over 2k. It's a fool's errand to constantly wait for improving TV technology. We just started to get into the 4K market not too long ago and more and more 4K DVDS are being released. It will be even longer before these 8k and 10k TVs get pushed out. Not to mention the graphic horsepower that will be required to run these - forget it! 4K most likely won't even be standard next gen or games.

Oh I never stated they will be in the $600 range next year.  They will become standard though so that's all I was getting at.  I didn't realize waiting for new tech would start such a debate :razz: I will probably end up getting the LG OLED if I find a good deal and just hope HDMI 2.1 doesn't take over the universe.

FOR  500 this is a great buy.  I had one since NOV  Somebody turned me on to it.   I was doing research there wasn't much but the people were raving about it.  I Never owned a roku tv.  They have some great tv apps like pluto that simulates a cable box style menu.  The movies and shows are great for free.   

WHEN I initially got it I was like looking hard to see what people were raving about.  Then I fired up  Destiny 2 absolutely stunning.  Seeing the sparks and the environment totally convinced me I made the right move.   pure beauty.   It operates different when you turn it on you select the input mode.  

but no deal breaker.   

The only weird thing I found was the remote is too small and one of the buttons keeps changing my comcast channel.  I WAs torn between a Samsung 6300 and 605  I am glad I Choose the 605. 

This tv is for anyone that want's as close to the best as you can get but is on a budget.  This 500 tv beats tv's that are 1000

When I was looking this tv kept selling out.  It is a low stock.  Soon as it comes in it sole.  I had to drive to concorde pike de to get mine. 

That is there sort of warehouse.   

I am not sure how true it is but when I was researching there was a rumor that the company was getting heat from the BIG three for giving all the features for such a low price.  The 65 inch dissapeared.   

Last edited by a moderator:
FOR 500 this is a great buy. I had one since NOV Somebody turned me on to it. I was doing research there wasn't much but the people were raving about it. I Never owned a roku tv. They have some great tv apps like pluto that simulates a cable box style menu. The movies and shows are great for free.

WHEN I initially got it I was like looking hard to see what people were raving about. Then I fired up Destiny 2 absolutely stunning. Seeing the sparks and the environment totally convinced me I made the right move. pure beauty. It operates different when you turn it on you select the input mode.

but no deal breaker.

The only weird thing I found was the remote is too small and one of the buttons keeps changing my comcast channel. I WAs torn between a Samsung 6300 and 605 I am glad I Choose the 605.

This tv is for anyone that want's as close to the best as you can get but is on a budget. This 500 tv beats tv's that are 1000

When I was looking this tv kept selling out. It is a low stock. Soon as it comes in it sole. I had to drive to concorde pike de to get mine.

That is there sort of warehouse.

I am not sure how true it is but when I was researching there was a rumor that the company was getting heat from the BIG three for giving all the features for such a low price. The 65 inch dissapeared.
I just bought the MU6290 for my parents, and although the picture looks fine, it sounds pretty bad. There are only 4-5 equalizer settings, all sound about the same, and don't really enhance the sound. In regards to apps, the default apps for netflix, hulu, etc. are slow to load, so if the 55P605 is on par with standalone roku sets/sticks, seems like you made a good choice.

On a sidenote, I would get this or the 6 series 55", but I don't know how much my TV (also a Samsung; UN55JU6500) would go for on craigslist or whatever.

I was looking into this yesterday but was immediately turned off at the refresh rate. A TV like this is only 60hz? It’s got everything else except that sweet 120 or above.

Definitely spend the extra $100 and get the newer version. It's getting glaring reviews. The BB version does not have the better remote though. Amazon's version does but it's $50 more. I was very close to buying this TV but then switched gears to the LG55B7A OLED. The picture quality is unmatched but now I am reading about HDMI 2.1 being awesome so not sure I want to pull the trigger just yet.
The HDMI 2.1 spec isn’t ready yet. I don’t believe any TV is coming with it this year. I got a 65in B7 last year and can’t go back. Plus it has features nothing else does including Apple TV 4K, such as Dolby Atmos over ARC through its built in apps.

I bought one of these to replace my living room plasma just because it was so cheep. Turns out it’s a pretty dope tv actually.

The HDMI 2.1 spec isn’t ready yet. I don’t believe any TV is coming with it this year. I got a 65in B7 last year and can’t go back. Plus it has features nothing else does including Apple TV 4K, such as Dolby Atmos over ARC through its built in apps.
I don't believe any do either but they should be here early next year. Probably won't be a big thing for another couple of years or it could catch on quickly. I got burned with HDR with the last TV I bought so I don't want to make the same mistake twice. Are you getting any of the vertical banding or uniformity issues?

What is this hdr pro gamma? Never heard of this. Some proprietary hdr format?

Also how does it look for those that have it

Edit: skipped right to specifications. Looks like Dolby hdr
Other than the brightness not being perfectly even, especially in corners, it actually looks amazing.

What is this hdr pro gamma? Never heard of this. Some proprietary hdr format?

Also how does it look for those that have it

Edit: skipped right to specifications. Looks like Dolby hdr
It is believed by many that this Tv gives you the most bang for the buck and that was at 599 at 499 IMO it is a steal. Chances are this is a 1 day sale like the Saturday sale was, The next day it was back up to 599. at 499 people can get the extended warranty.

The P605 had a clearance sign by it the other day, so I assume the $500 sales are them trying to get rid of the old model.

Very solid for even the original $600 price.

The P605 had a clearance sign by it the other day, so I assume the $500 sales are them trying to get rid of the old model.

Very solid for even the original $600 price.
Maybe the funny thing is they don't stay in stock long at least in MD. It will be interesting what the 2018 model will bring.

My son bought one of these today.at BB so jealous Only one store in our area still had some left. If I didn’t just drop $730 on a new hot water tank for my house I would have got one also. I already have the cheaper S model and I really like it also.

This seems to be the only place I hear people mention TCL . How's does this compare to the equivalent Samsung?
Outside sales, you're going to spend between $500 to $1000 more buying an equivalent Samsung or any other more well known name brand TV. The extra money will buy you a better TV but whether it's worth it is debatable. I still wish they had released the 65 inch model last year, or I had the patience to wait for this year's model, so I could have saved $500.

This seems to be the only place I hear people mention TCL . How's does this compare to the equivalent Samsung?
This was last years best kept secret. The consensus was this tv was giving people a quality comparable to tv's that were 900 or more.

It is not going to beat an OLED but with it's 72 zones and all the dolby and hdr stuff this one stood out. I had mine since last year and have no problems buying another one. Serious bang for the buck.

If your a gamer then this tv is for you.

The 10 min mark through the 12 min mark here is what really sold me and explains it all and the video still cannot do it justice the level of detail from the wetness to the sparks smoke and gunfire. It definitely backed up what everybody was raving about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ1DCMtikMg

Outside sales, you're going to spend between $500 to $1000 more buying an equivalent Samsung or any other more well known name brand TV. The extra money will buy you a better TV but whether it's worth it is debatable. I still wish they had released the 65 inch model last year, or I had the patience to wait for this year's model, so I could have saved $500.
I agree. Outside the US they are well known. They abruptly stopped selling the 65 in last year making the 55 inch hard to find when I was reading up on them last year there was a rumr that they were being pressured by the others because they offered so much for so low when others charged a lot more.

hmmmmm.......do I need this? Of course not but my current vizio p502ui-b1 doesn't support hdr. Is hdr worth it? I also have a 10% off code that BB sent me so that makes it even more tempting. Decisions....

hmmmmm.......do I need this? Of course not but my current vizio p502ui-b1 doesn't support hdr. Is hdr worth it? I also have a 10% off code that BB sent me so that makes it even more tempting. Decisions....
If you have a 10% off coupon you should totally get it.

I spent $1000 on the ks8000 55 inch. The 1000 nit is amazing, i literally have to squint my eyes when the screen goes all white for whatever game/show. A little disappointed with the corner lit part though. Like a loading screen thats suppose to be all black with a little loading icon in the corner...the whole corner (and sometimes the whole side)is bright. Kind of a turn off but not buying a new 4k at least for another year or 2. Hopefully they settle on 1 type of HDR for everything by then
The KS8000's are amazing and Samsung has seem to gone downhill a bit since then, do agree the 1000 nits make a difference vs the other offerings. Recall the scene in the Revenant for example where the camp is attacked by the locals and the sunlight is streaming through the trees, looks amazing. These 6 series should help with the with some of the bleed on loading screens, something like Dark Souls comes to mind, huge number of local array dimming zones for the price, but yeah the banding issue has me scared off for a bit from grabbing a 65 inch.

Asking fellow gamers what they think of HDR certainly qualifies as doing my homework:)
I know this is a few days late, but I'd save up a little more and get an X900E. I had the P605 and did not like it, personally. it's decent for the money, but I experienced problems with it not switching to HDR and back to SDR properly and would have to power down the TV. I returned it and got the 900E and was much happier.

Also the 900E gets very bright and is great for HDR. It's right at 1000 nits as well.

Not bad

I picked up the 55s403 model back in february with 5 year warrenty from costco for under $400
Not even comparable other than the brand tag and interface. There is no comparison between the 403 edge lit and FALD on the P-series displays.

I know this is a few days late, but I'd save up a little more and get an X900E. I had the P605 and did not like it, personally. it's decent for the money, but I experienced problems with it not switching to HDR and back to SDR properly and would have to power down the TV. I returned it and got the 900E and was much happier.

Also the 900E gets very bright and is great for HDR. It's right at 1000 nits as well.
I’d second this. While I didn’t purchase the TCL. I highly considered the p605. And was about to pull the trigger and read a decent amount of people with issues. It seemed like it was playing a lottery and most people had to exchange sets to get one with none/less issues. The Sony 900e was on sale for Black Friday sales so I got it for $999. So for me personally I’ve been extremely happy with my 900e. Purchased in Nov 17 and haven’t had a single issue. The only complaints I’ve seen in reviews on the 900e seem to be with sound, but it seems fine to me. I’ve been considering getting the Sony HTCT800 sound bar, especially now that it’s on sale at BB. But I’m not even sure I need it.

I’d second this. While I didn’t purchase the TCL. I highly considered the p605. And was about to pull the trigger and read a decent amount of people with issues. It seemed like it was playing a lottery and most people had to exchange sets to get one with none/less issues. The Sony 900e was on sale for Black Friday sales so I got it for $999. So for me personally I’ve been extremely happy with my 900e. Purchased in Nov 17 and haven’t had a single issue. The only complaints I’ve seen in reviews on the 900e seem to be with sound, but it seems fine to me. I’ve been considering getting the Sony HTCT800 sound bar, especially now that it’s on sale at BB. But I’m not even sure I need it.
There’s a Samsung soundbar in the Walmart thread that’s like $35 if you can find one

It's a typical budget TV, no true local dimming, so not true hdr. If you are going to plop down $400, just pay the extra $$ and get a clearance P series or a 6 series. Or you can wait for black friday to get what will probably be the 6 series for a great price.

55" P Series 497.99 (ebay) or if you prefer a big box 551.99 (best buy)

A lot of 4K TV's have settled down to this price range now. So do you guys think this is the best value TV out there?

I remember in 2016 cags were following the Samsung KS series.
Its for sure the best set you can get under $900 from what ive looked into. Im about to buy the $1300 sony x900f (waiting for a sale) but the TCl comes close to it in alot of ways. One thing that turned me off is the gray scale of the TCL's if you dont care about that or don't know what im talking about you for sure need to get the TCL. There are name brands in the same price range as the TCLs but there pictures are no where near as accurate. You would need to pay around $900 for a tv near its picture quality. Also the 2017 model actually has 14ms input lag which is pretty much the lowest you can get for a 55"tv. The sony im eyeing is 24ms which is also considered very good, 14 is crazy good.

Best TV review site on the net with easy comparisons and alot of details.. Check the review... https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p-series-2017-p607

Looking at Best Buy what is the difference between TCL’s 4 series, 5 series and 6 series?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at Best Buy what is the difference between TCL’s 4 series, 5 series and 6 series?

4 series is last year's budget model and is actually superior to the 5 series because the 4 series has full array backlighting where this years 5 series is edge lit. Neither TV has local dimming so they do not have true HDR and really should be avoided if you can afford the P series or 6 series models. P series is last year's 6 series and both are fantastic sets for their price point. They have full array local dimming giving the best HDR you can get in a sub 1000 set. All these sets also have very low input lag making them great for gaming.

You can read more here: RTINGS TCL TVs

4 series is last year's budget model and is actually superior to the 5 series because the 4 series has full array backlighting where this years 5 series is edge lit. Neither TV has local dimming so they do not have true HDR and really should be avoided if you can afford the P series or 6 series models. P series is last year's 6 series and both are fantastic sets for their price point. They have full array local dimming giving the best HDR you can get in a sub 1000 set. All these sets also have very low input lag making them great for gaming.

You can read more here: RTINGS TCL TVs
Will do thanks a lot.

Basically if you can afford the 5 series just save up a little more and get a 6 series if you’re on a budget. 4K does make a difference, but not a HUGE difference. Not like going from SD to HD. The biggest difference you’ll notice is some good HDR.

I went from a 4K non-HDR tv to a 4K with good HDR and the difference is night and day.

Basically if you can afford the 5 series just save up a little more and get a 6 series if you’re on a budget. 4K does make a difference, but not a HUGE difference. Not like going from SD to HD. The biggest difference you’ll notice is some good HDR.

I went from a 4K non-HDR tv to a 4K with good HDR and the difference is night and day.
I am only looking to get at most 43 or 49 inch. Best Buy doesn’t carry it but does the 6 series exist in those sizes?

I am only looking to get at most 43 or 49 inch. Best Buy doesn’t carry it but does the 6 series exist in those sizes?

P series / 6 series are only available in 55" and 65". 55" shouldn't be much bigger a footprint than a 49" so if you can make it work try going to 55".

P series / 6 series are only available in 55" and 65". 55" shouldn't be much bigger a footprint than a 49" so if you can make it work try going to 55".
It is going on one of those glass and wood entertainment stands 49 might be able to make it, I will measure first, but 55 is out of the question so if the measurement doesn’t work for 49 then I will get a 43.

Got gifted with a 65 s405 yesterday and my tv stand only measured 45.5 inches long. The tv legs pointing out did not fit but when I inverted the legs, it measured 42 inches so I got it to work. I don’t think inverting the legs is an official option with the 4 series but it works for me. The top kinda lean forward just a little but everything is sturdy. I think you can officially invert the legs for 5 series and 6 series, not sure about the P. I saw a YouTube video of people inverting the legs, I’ll post one if I find it again. I didn’t expect getting a 65” and only thought about getting a 55” because of our tv stand. But now that we got a 65”, I don’t think we’ll get anything smaller for the living room.

It is going on one of those glass and wood entertainment stands 49 might be able to make it, I will measure first, but 55 is out of the question so if the measurement doesn’t work for 49 then I will get a 43.

Don't know if it helps but:

43" 4 series is 38.3 inches wide

43" 5 series is 37.8 inches wide

49" 4 series is 43.7 inches wide

49" 5 series is 41.3 inches wide

55" P series is 49 inches wide

55" 6 series is 48.5 inches wide

Don't know if it helps but:

43" 4 series is 38.3 inches wide
43" 5 series is 37.8 inches wide
49" 4 series is 43.7 inches wide
49" 5 series is 41.3 inches wide
55" P series is 49 inches wide
55" 6 series is 48.5 inches wide
This will help tremendously thanks again.

bread's done
Back