80gb $399.99 PS3 Now Available at BBy

I'm glad I got my mgs4 bundle. I just wish that sony would realize that getting rid of BC is stupid. I bought it just to be sure that i could get a new PS3 with BC. I like sony, but they sure need to get there act together.

[quote name='J7.'] You must have a Netflix subscription as I stated. I guess MS is accomplishing what they wanted to do... confuse people into thinking Netflix is free... damn MS.[/quote]

You must be really dumb to think that Netflix is going to be free by just buying a 360 :lol:

[quote name='oasisboy']You must be really dumb to think that Netflix is going to be free by just buying a 360 :lol:[/quote]
I've been the one trying to tell people it is not free.

[quote name='J7.']Not true at all. You must have a Netflix subscription as I stated. I guess MS is accomplishing what they wanted to do... confuse people into thinking Netflix is free... damn MS.[/quote]

I am such a fool to fall for MS's word play. Thanks for giving me the smack in the head I needed. *shakes fist at MS*

Is the PS3 truly worth it? I've been thinking about buying one the past few days since I bought a motorstorm bundle and got rid of it before (because I felt there was a lack of games I was interested in) but how does everyone feel about the $400 price tag. If its truly just for a "media center" A nice Dell Inspiron Desktop with a 17 inch monitor only costs $469, surely that would make a "more flexible" media center than the PS3 would it not?

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspndt_530s?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

You are the only one who can judge your own satisfaction level.

[quote name='mox2']Is the PS3 truly worth it? I've been thinking about buying one the past few days since I bought a motorstorm bundle and got rid of it before (because I felt there was a lack of games I was interested in) but how does everyone feel about the $400 price tag. If its truly just for a "media center" A nice Dell Inspiron Desktop with a 17 inch monitor only costs $469, surely that would make a "more flexible" media center than the PS3 would it not?

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspndt_530s?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs[/quote]

[quote name='shibaji']You are the only one who can judge your own satisfaction level.[/quote]

Indeed. We can't tell you whether or not it's a good fit for you. Is it worth $400? Absolutely, no doubt. You get a game console, a Blu-ray player, a Linux computer, and a media hub. But will it be a good $400 spent for you? Only you know that.

I was at a gamestop today and they were clearly making room for these--some little kid and his mom brought in bags upon bags of shit to trade in and wanted a next gen system. The clerk was making the 40gb system sound like God.

Some exact quotes:
"I have both, I haven't turned on my 360 in months."
"The 360, I think, is really just the biggest waste of money."
"Yeah, unless you want Halo, then there's nothing else you're missing out on. And everyone trades Halo back in a few days later."

:lol:

The wii360 will seem much more valid after the price drop, Hence a $200 XBOX Arcade + $250 wii = $450 as opposed to $400 for the 80GB PS3, Even though Sony says they won't do a price reduction I wonder how the machine will hold up after the XBOX price drops on Sept 7th.....

[quote name='ninja dog']I was at a gamestop today and they were clearly making room for these--some little kid and his mom brought in bags upon bags of shit to trade in and wanted a next gen system. The clerk was making the 40gb system sound like God.

Some exact quotes:
"I have both, I haven't turned on my 360 in months."
"The 360, I think, is really just the biggest waste of money."
"Yeah, unless you want Halo, then there's nothing else you're missing out on. And everyone trades Halo back in a few days later."

:lol:[/QUOTE]

I always thought that type of activity was a disservice to customers.

[quote name='mox2']The wii360 will seem much more valid after the price drop, Hence a $200 XBOX Arcade + $250 wii = $450 as opposed to $400 for the 80GB PS3, Even though Sony says they won't do a price reduction I wonder how the machine will hold up after the XBOX price drops on Sept 7th.....[/QUOTE]

Speaking as a Wii owner since its launch, as a "core" gamer I haven't touched the system since Okami (great game, btw). And when I look down the road I don't see anything that really piques my interest.

I can't comment on the 360 since I don't own it, but I am very excited about the future releases for the PS3 - especially Valkyria Chronicles.

Watch this trailer and see if it does anything for you.

[quote name='TheEyecon']lol, i can imagine the confusion with casual gamers with the $399.99 version and the $499.99 version.
:lol:[/QUOTE]

thats assuming your bb has the 499.99 version. Ours had loads and loads of 360s, and only three ps3s leftover, but they were the new 80s, no MGS combos.

I want to want to buy a PS3. Does that make sense?

Do you think future PS3 models will have backwards compatiblity? I'd like to simply junk my fat PS2.

Do PS3 systems come with rumble controllers yet?

[quote name='Sideswiper']I want to want to buy a PS3. Does that make sense?

Do you think future PS3 models will have backwards compatiblity? I'd like to simply junk my fat PS2.

Do PS3 systems come with rumble controllers yet?[/QUOTE]

I think the days of BC on the PS3 are over. You have to get the older 80GB like the one in the MGS bundle. The new 80GB are just like the 40GB as far as features. Right now the MGS 80GB and the new 80GB come with dualshock 3 controllers standard. The sixaxis only controllers are no longer being made.

[quote name='Sideswiper']I want to want to buy a PS3. Does that make sense?

Do PS3 systems come with rumble controllers yet?[/quote]

Now is the time if you are thinking about buying one because Sony has the money off deal when you sign up for the credit card. I bought mine in January when they offered 100 bucks off. Then I sold my fat PS2 with basically nothing but the network adapter and made another 102 bucks to pay for my PS3. I basically got 200 bucks off, but mine does in fact play PS2 games.

[quote name='opportunity777']I always thought that type of activity was a disservice to customers.[/quote]

of course it is. when they put pressure on to clear out products or get preorders, these employees will come as close as they can to straight fraud to meet their needs.

on the other hand, the kid won't know the difference in the end any way.

Worst part of this (for me) is that I was gifted a 40GB just under a month ago. Giver purchased from Amazon at $400. They can't price match shit because they're not selling the 40GB any more. However, I called them and they put a note on file for if it hits Amazon again at a lower price, they'll extend post-sale price-match for me.

Everybody pray the 40GB hits Amazon again at like, 350 or something.

And I wish I knew about that SonyStyle deal, I would've but this fucking thing myself instead of having it gifted. What a STEAL!

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Kind of doubtful that the 40GB will show up again on Amazon or anywhere else. Sony has obviously cut production.[/quote]

Heart-breaking.

Excellent sig.

[quote name='sixspeednissan']Now is the time if you are thinking about buying one because Sony has the money off deal when you sign up for the credit card. I bought mine in January when they offered 100 bucks off. Then I sold my fat PS2 with basically nothing but the network adapter and made another 102 bucks to pay for my PS3. I basically got 200 bucks off, but mine does in fact play PS2 games.[/QUOTE]

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...First-Purchase-299-0-APR-8-points-per-1-spent

I was checking that out today. It's $150 credit on purchases of $300 or more for new credit card account, approval required. I might give it a try once it drops to $400 on the site

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665513567

[quote name='Sideswiper']Do you think future PS3 models will have backwards compatiblity? I'd like to simply junk my fat PS2.[/quote]

Unless they add an option for them to resell you PS2 games through the PSN store it's more than likely that PS2 BC is gone from the newer PS3 versions.

Sony wants PS3 owners to buy PS3 software. Problem for them is that their lineup is so pigeon holed into certain genres *cough* FPS and action/adventure platformers that alot of people with BC PS3s are digging back into the massive and DIVERSE PS2 library instead of buying PS3 games (i know i am). By taking out BC they force people who buy the newer models to buy PS3 games or watch BD movies (both things Sony would prefer you do with your PS3).

How about this Sony? I was all ready to buy a PS3 with my $100 off BB gift card from the HDDVD debacle, but then Stootsi came and offered that $120 BluRay/HDDVD drive that I stuck in my HTPC and I was in no hurry. Now I realize the longer I wait, the less chance I have of getting BC. I don't wait to buy tech to get *less*. That really pisses me off. I bought the PS2 just a couple years ago and I'm probably going to wait at least another 2-3 years berfore I even consider a PS3 because of lack of BC.

Yeah I'm stuck too - so BlueRay won, I've been looking for the right package with BC, and frankly there still isn't one. PS2 BC with wireless controllers and my HD TV hook-up is a big part of getting me into the game, frankly more than BlueRay (!)

I have an Xbox360, I'm fine with upscaling, I don't watch a lot of DVDs anyways and really don't need to rent/buy BlueRay. But if I had it, sure I'd grow into it.

Can someone clear up what's the difference between PS2 BC and limited BC?
Or is there none, just it's all limited? If so, how is it limited?

thanks for any help, frankly the differing options on so many skus make it a mess.
[edit - I'd still take a summary, but I have some idea per it's wiki link now]

[quote name='lilboo']At least give us a $400 bundle :wall:[/quote]

You should checkout live search's cashback rewards. I was able to score a 40 gb PS3 for $250, so the opportunity for a $300 PS3 is definitely possible.

[quote name='J7.']You already have bc, its called a PS2, just leave it plugged in, that's all you have to do.[/quote]

Assuming you still have one. :roll:

[quote name='J7.']You already have bc, its called a PS2, just leave it plugged in, that's all you have to do.[/QUOTE]

How much did the Sony Defense Force pay you?

Let's not forget the upscalled PS2 games not only looked better, but were through HDMI to. If the new slim PS2's have HDMI let me know.
Sony promised at the start that BC was going to be in all PS3, and they've failed to deliver their promise, much like Microsoft did with their BC updates.

Ugh, let's stop with the "keep your PS2" nonsense. As the other poster mentioned, Sony said their console was going to be BC...and Sony fans even mocked the 360 hard for its awful BC. Now, Sony has gone the same way.

I'm sick of people complaining about BC. There have been surveys that have shown people complain about it, but actually barely ever use BC. Sony lost a lot of money on PS3, they need to lower their costs. They tried, but they cannot afford it. The PS2 works great, is part of history, and should have a place under peoples' tv's. Are people that lazy that they cannot deal with having a PS2 and PS3... Do PS2 games on PS3 look better on an HDTV, I thought they looked worse anyways. Just don't sell your PS2 to Gamestop for $30 and keep it and shut up about BC. Buy PS3 games, that's what Sony needs you to do.

[quote name='J7.']I'm sick of people complaining about BC. There have been surveys that have shown people complain about it, but actually barely ever use BC. Sony lost a lot of money on PS3, they need to lower their costs. They tried, but they cannot afford it. The PS2 works great, is part of history, and should have a place under peoples' tv's. Are people that lazy that they cannot deal with having a PS2 and PS3... Do PS2 games on PS3 look better on an HDTV, I thought they looked worse anyways. Just don't sell your PS2 to Gamestop for $30 and keep it and shut up about BC. Buy PS3 games, that's what Sony needs you to do.[/quote]

You do realize there are plenty of good reasons why someone doesn't want to have to own a PS2 and PS3, right? Everyone isn't just "lazy," as you put it. Some people have a PS2 that broke down. That's been known to happen, believe it or not. Some people don't want the clutter. Some people never owned a PS2, but still want the ability to delve into that back catalog. And yes, after the updates, most PS2 games I have played look better on the PS3, so that's another reason why folks want a system that is BC.

One of the main reasons I got my PS3 was because GameStop was giving $100 credit when you traded in any PS2 system, an extra controller, and memory card. I had an old model, so it was pretty good deal to me. If the system did not have BC, I probably wouldn't have bothered getting a PS3.

And I really don't think people are concerned with what "we need to do for Sony." They are more concerned with what Sony has to do to get us to want to buy into their product.

This is laughable.

[quote name='J7.']I'm sick of people complaining about BC. There have been surveys that have shown people complain about it, but actually barely ever use BC.[/quote]

Did they survey CAG?

Sony lost a lot of money on PS3, they need to lower their costs. They tried, but they cannot afford it.

Bulloney. They are going to keep the PS3 for 10 years right? And the price of the components has already dropped significantly, and will continue to drop.

The PS2 works great, is part of history, and should have a place under peoples' tv's. Are people that lazy that they cannot deal with having a PS2 and PS3...

What does laziness have to do with it? I don't have the inputs or space to do it. I've got a 360, PS2, Xbox, and Wii plus a ton of other set-top stuff.

Having BC isn't a matter of using it a lot, it's about having it available IF I/we ever want to use it. I don't play GameCube games often, but I know I could if I ever wanted to. This goes to Xbox as well...only that most of the games seem to be BC.. :lol:

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']
One of the main reasons I got my PS3 was because GameStop was giving $100 credit when you traded in any PS2 system, an extra controller, and memory card. I had an old model, so it was pretty good deal to me. If the system did not have BC, I probably wouldn't have bothered getting a PS3.[/quote]

But see that's just the thing, BC was important to you so you bought a machine that had BC in it. Everyone who is complaining about the "loss" of BC now had an opportunity to buy a machine with FULL BC or even limited BC, but it was so important to them that they were willing to pay for it. Right now, the PS3 that they are offering has less features than the original, but it also costs less money. If BC was *really* the motivating factor that people make it seem to be, they would have *already* bought a BC capable console.

I submit that many of these people dont really want to *buy* a PS3 anyway. That's fine, but if that's a person's position, they should be honest about it.

P.S. George Carlin would likely be irritated by you saying he "passed" instead of "died" ;)

I bought a PS2 when it was sub $200 years into its cycle. Is it less of a machine than was offered at launch? Hardly. That's the point. Name me another popular consumer electronics device where early adopters got a better machine than those that got one years later.

And the minute I turn around and bite, they'll offer a low-cost version with BC to stimulate sales. Can you guarantee that won't happen?

[quote name='hostyl1']I submit that many of these people dont really want to *buy* a PS3 anyway. That's fine, but if that's a person's position, they should be honest about it.
[/quote]

[quote name='turls']I bought a PS2 when it was sub $200 years into its cycle. Is it less of a machine than was offered at launch? Hardly. That's the point. Name me another popular consumer electronics device where early adopters got a better machine than those that got one years later.

And the minute I turn around and bite, they'll offer a low-cost version with BC to stimulate sales. Can you guarantee that won't happen?[/quote]

I can't really add to this. I bought a PS2 years after it came out, paid less for it, and felt like a rockstar. This forum is called CHEAP ass gamer, after all.

Being cheap isn't just about paying a small amount of money... it is also about getting a lot for your money. Knowing that what is being offered now isn't as good as what was being offered drives me nuts.

Also, I don't want a huge amount of consoles in my living room.

J7., So you're sick of hearing that we want cheap PS3 consoles with BC? Why am I supposed to care? Who are you anyways, Sony's accountant?

[quote name='turls']I bought a PS2 when it was sub $200 years into its cycle. Is it less of a machine than was offered at launch? Hardly. That's the point. Name me another popular consumer electronics device where early adopters got a better machine than those that got one years later.[/quote]

I can name THREE right off the top of my head that are in the video game category.

1) The original Gamecube (DOL-001) had a digital port that allowed for games to be displayed in progressive scan. My 'late-adoption' model (DOL-101) lacks this port so I cannot see GC games in glorious 480p.

2) The first generation Gameboy Advance could play original Game Boy and Game Boy Color games. The 3rd generation GBA, the Game Boy Micro, cannot play these games, nor can it use the E-Reader or many other GBA/GBA-SP accessories. That means, my 'late-adoption' Micro cannot play the orignal GB Tetris cart (bummer).

3) The PS2 that you talk about, well there *is* something that the Fatty could do that the slim cant. The slim cant support the hard drive so no FF11 or PS2 Linux.

So it's not so strange to think that as a product evolves that some features are added while others are eliminated. Sure, the "80GB core" lacks the BC of the "20GB core", but it adds 60GB of storage and built-in wifi all for $100 less.

And the minute I turn around and bite, they'll offer a low-cost version with BC to stimulate sales. Can you guarantee that won't happen?
There are no guarantees in life. You should know this by now. The "next best thing" is always right around the corner.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sideswiper']I can't really add to this. I bought a PS2 years after it came out, paid less for it, and felt like a rockstar. This forum is called CHEAP ass gamer, after all.[/quote]In addition to hostyl1's examples, the venerable PS2 was also subject to this: the slim model removed support for the hard drive, eliminating compatibility with Final Fantasy XI entirely, as well as extra features in several other games.

I'm right there with you in terms of wanting to wait a while and get the full-featured machine at a lower price (I did the same as you with the PS2, bought it last year for $130 along with a ton of sealed games, almost all for $20 or less). And I'm particularly interested in the BC situation for reasons that have already been stated by others. But there's ample precedent for features being removed from consoles over time, including Sony's consoles.

Sorry Ryu: I was adding that as an edit while you were typing. It slipped my mind for a sec an as I was puting it in, so were you:

Great minds or something like that.....

Sorry, but it's a little tough to compare the removal of hard drive support in the PS2 or component out on the GameCube to loss of PS2 support in the PS3. They are on completely different levels. Those other losses only affected a very small percentage of owners when it came to very particular features. With the loss of PS2 support in the PS3, you are essentially losing a $130 console, as well as access to a vast library of games.

As for the Game Boy Micro, that came out over four years into the GBA's life cycle, when the system was already well entrenched in the market. The DS was also already out, so the Micro was simply an attempt by Nintendo to breath some new life into the GBA hardware. The PS3, on the other hand, is inching towards its second year on the market, and it is not nearly as "out there" as the GBA was at the time of the Micro's release.

I read in the current GI magazine that these units are not suppose to be out in stores till Sept? Are they really available in store at BB already?

[quote name='hostyl1']Great minds or something like that.....[/quote]No doubt. :)

Anyway I'm with the poster above who said they "want to want" a PS3. I'm somewhat likely to bite when Final Fantasy XIII is available and there's (hopefully) been at least one more round of price cuts. I'm really really hoping that some kind of BC will be reinstated by then-- I want to play my PS2 games upscaled and I want to be able to retire the PS2 from the shelf. I understand Sony needs to make money and they don't owe me anything, but it will feel like a slap in the face if I can't have that.

Seriously, when a PSX/PS2/PSP owner and huge JRPG fanboy like me is finding it hard to get excited about the PS3, Sony's got to be on the wrong track.

The loss of BC entirely is a hilarious change.

You mean to tell me that the PS3 can't even emulate a PS2 via an entirely software solution when the lowly Wii can handle the Gamecube that it's barely more powerful than and also emulate every system under the sun for VC games?

Sony are just being cheap/lazy/idiots as per usual.

[quote name='CaoPi']I read in the current GI magazine that these units are not suppose to be out in stores till Sept? Are they really available in store at BB already?[/QUOTE]

Yes, they have been readily available at my BestBuy for a couple of days now. Sony released a press statement saying that the new 80gb systems can be sold as soon as the retailers receive them (which were as early as last week). Sony probably caught wind of the Xbox360 pricedrop in Sept. and wanted to move as many PS3s before the public catches on ... haha.

[quote name='hostyl1']I can name THREE right off the top of my head that are in the video game category.

1) The original Gamecube (DOL-001) had a digital port that allowed for games to be displayed in progressive scan. My 'late-adoption' model (DOL-101) lacks this port so I cannot see GC games in glorious 480p.

2) The first generation Gameboy Advance could play original Game Boy and Game Boy Color games. The 3rd generation GBA, the Game Boy Micro, cannot play these games, nor can it use the E-Reader or many other GBA/GBA-SP accessories. That means, my 'late-adoption' Micro cannot play the orignal GB Tetris cart (bummer).

3) The PS2 that you talk about, well there *is* something that the Fatty could do that the slim cant. The slim cant support the hard drive so no FF11 or PS2 Linux.

So it's not so strange to think that as a product evolves that some features are added while others are eliminated. Sure, the "80GB core" lacks the BC of the "20GB core", but it adds 60GB of storage and built-in wifi all for $100 less.
[/quote]

ok, well technically you "got" me.

1) Nintendo said they would provide anybody with a GameCube that needed one with a component output

2) I don't consider the Micro a 3rd gen gameboy--its an alternate. I'm pretty sure that they still made the clamshell GB after that--they were definitely widely available.

3) That's a very niche limitation. It isn't like it CAME with the HD on the fatty either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some good news about the new 80gb core PS3 is that someone over @ SD noted that it is more energy efficient than the 40gb core version, leading to the popular theory that the 80gb version is utilizing the new 65nm RSX chipset (which is regarded to be more reliable and cheaper to manufacture). Yay for technology !

bread's done
Back