90s Alternative Suggestions

RAMSTORIA

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
I'm throwing together a compilation of 90s alternative for some upcoming camping trips and need some recommendations. Now I have quite the collection already, but I feel like I'm missing stuff.

Specifically I'm looking for bands similar to Gin Blossoms, Blind Melon, Spin Doctors, etc. So please don't suggest bands like Metallica, 311, and Soundgarden (which are 90s, but are obviously not the same style but get lumped with alternative all the time).

Thanks!

To name a few:

Beck, Blur, Bush, Butthole Surfers, Cake, Dinosaur Jr., Eels, Everclear, Marcy Playground, Meat Puppets, Mudhoney, Radiohead, R.E.M., Sonic Youth, Stone Roses, Sublime...

Flaming Lips, especially songs from "Transmissions from the Satellite Heart" and "Clouds Taste Metallic". Most famous for "She Don't Use Jelly", but that is a song I just kind of laugh at, then enjoy the wonderfulness of the other songs on those two albums. Weird at times, a bit too soft rock these days, but they are still putting out interesting music. I am a metal / hard rock guy at heart, but these guys I like. Especially "Clouds".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlrjrazYf6k&playnext=1&list=PLA493D59CFE986224

+1 for Spacehog. That one song anyway.

Others: Bush, Mazzy Star, Smashing Pumpkins, Everclear, Weezer, The Breeders, Stone Temple Pilots.

You're missing the point of camping but Wallflowers, Goo Goo Dolls, Cake, Butthole Surfers, Sublime, Early Weezer, and STP.

Toad the Wet Sprocket, Blues Traveler, Big Head Todd and the Monsters, Sister Hazel, Live, Collective Soul, and the Counting Crows.

Greenday!....Really really old greenday. Like Kerplunk, Dookie and that's about it.

Also Offspring and Screaming Trees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet, keep em coming guys. I have a lot of stuff already mentioned, but I see a few I missed.

[quote name='silentevil']You're missing the point of camping [/QUOTE]

We will be hiking, fishing, swimming, kayaking and drinking by the campfire singing great songs. Sounds to me like we got camping down just fine.

Tonic, Fastball, Semisonic, Vertical Horizon, Dishwalla, Better Than Ezra, Cracker, Candlebox, Seven Mary Three, Barenaked Ladies, The Verve Pipe, Third Eye Blind

Most of what I remember is covered already, but how about some Stabbing Westward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NZsCYOM4j0

Offspring is about the only band I can think of right now that's missing.

Otherwise I love this thread.

Oh! And The Verve!

Edit: And Primitive Radio Gods, if only for "Standing outside a broken phone booth with money in my hand."

Edit: Harvey Danger.

Soul Asylum's "Grave Dancers Union" was great. Counting Crows "August & Everything After", New Radicals, Dogs Eye View ("Everything Falls Apart", I think).

I'll try and think of more.

[quote name='silentevil']You're missing the point of camping but Wallflowers, Goo Goo Dolls, Cake, Butthole Surfers, Sublime, Early Weezer, and STP.[/QUOTE]

How is that missing the point? If you're suggesting he buy a banjo, that's going to be an awkward camping trip.

[quote name='Lyricsborn']Social D, violent femmes, suicidal tendencies.[/QUOTE]

Pop/Rock
Gin Blossoms - Hey Jealousy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah5gAkna3jI

vs

Punk
Suicidal Tendencies - War Inside My Head
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv2o1U93t2s

Yep not anywhere close.

-----

To OP:
A few I don't see someone listed for you...
10,000 Maniacs, Matchbox Twenty, Sugar Ray

A few unrelated 90s bands that might go well...
Silverchair's "Tomorrow", Veruca Salt's "Seether"... if you go the punk route... Pennywise's "Bro Hymn" and Rancid's "Ruby Soho"

Have fun with your camping trip! Me and my wife and 9 month old daughter just went on our first family camping trip with another couple and their 10 month old boy. It was close by and just for two nights but we had a blast. Grilling all sorts of good stuff and drinking good beer and hiking around. It was primitive but with water and we managed so well my wife is already staking out our next site.

[quote name='MaskedPlague']James, "Laid"[/QUOTE]

Nice one. What about:

- Oasis
- Our Lady Peace
- Soul Coughing
- Creed (shudder)
- Eve 6

I LOVE this thread. 90s music is the best. I'm finally starting to realize why old people never bothered with new music - it's just not the same. I mean, I like new music and I still try to pay attention but for some reason it doesn't mean as much as the music I listened to when I was in high school and college.

Pandora has a pretty good 90s Alternative station that plays the hits from most of the bands listed in this thread.

How about Third Eye Blind and Smashmouth? I seem to recall them being big in the 90's.

Also, Marcy's Playground for Sex and Candy and Semisonic for Closing Time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PAzqBUNlCs

Ween - Push th' Little Daisies

This was pretty popular one summer in the early 90s - I think they even played MTV Spring Break.

They are actually one of my favorite bands. This song/vid is a bit childish seeming for them to me. They've put out some pretty awesome stuff over the past 25 years.

Days of the New were fantastic until Travis Meeks discovered meth and started sleeping under bridges in Louisville. I saw him one day, and asked him what happened. He looked at me and asked for ten bucks.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Days of the New were fantastic until Travis Meeks discovered meth and started sleeping under bridges in Louisville. I saw him one day, and asked him what happened. He looked at me and asked for ten bucks.[/QUOTE]

not serious, right?

[quote name='Javery']yeah - he's a total meth head. I'm actually surprised he's still alive.[/QUOTE]

It really is tragic that he fell into all that because he's so musically gifted and can wield an acoustic guitar like a motherfucker when he's sober.

[quote name='flowery']To name a few:

Beck, Blur, Bush, Butthole Surfers, Cake, Dinosaur Jr., Eels, Everclear, Marcy Playground, Meat Puppets, Mudhoney, Radiohead, R.E.M., Sonic Youth, Stone Roses, Sublime...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='crunchb3rry']+1 for Spacehog. That one song anyway.

Others: Bush, Mazzy Star, Smashing Pumpkins, Everclear, Weezer, The Breeders, Stone Temple Pilots.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='hankmecrankme']The Presidents of the United States of America.[/QUOTE]

Much good in thar.

Perhaps Nerf Herder if you want to venture outside of MTV "alternative" into nerd rock & mid to late 90's college radio alternative (try Van Halen the song not the band to get your feet wet). Temple of the Dog for some early 90's Seattle super-band collaboration. Ministry, the Prodigy I guess that's leaving alternative as a genre but I wouldn't call "Blind Melon and Spin Doctors" alternative either- but everything was called alternative post-hair metal scene in the 90s.

[needs to look through my college era CDs now]

Mad Season is good, and while most of Alice in Chains' stuff is closer to hard rock/metal, their unplugged album is fantastic for just relaxing to. Queens of the Stone Age's self titled album and Rated R are good, as well.

[youtube]eKbk7BPXBa4[/youtube]

I know somebody already posted Possum Kingdom, but I've always had a special place in my heart for Tyler.

bread's done
Back