A bad beginning at Xbox Live

Achuba Nanoia

CAGiversary!
This is a long post, so few free to not read it (and comment anyway!)

Wow, what a bad start to a supposedly great experience!

Yesterday I bought a Xbox Live card, but didn't really have a chance to try it out, just bought a couple of cars in Forza 2, no big deal.

Today, after a delightful breakfast, complete with cofee, bread, butter, orange juice and some melon, I decided to give my new Gold subscription a spin.

First game: Call of Duty 2. After being so frustraded yesterday trying to finish "The Silo" mission on Veteran, I tried some multiplayer. First, I was sad to see that Xbox 360 only allows 8 players in a match for CoD2. So, joined a game. Played a little big, not so bad, a couple of games later I had some fun, but 4 on 4 felt too repetitive for me.

Next game: Rainbow Six Vegas. Now my day started to go downhill. After making my char, I tried to join a few games. First, I couldn't get in a game: as soon as I joined any game that said "Lobby", it had already started, so I had to wait 5 to 10 minutes before I could actually play. Then, as soon as the game finished, people banned me for lagging. After a few tries, and a lot of bans, I decided the Internetz in Brazil is too bad, even on a good connection, for weekend gaming. But, I carried on until I could join a game without being banned. When I finally did, my ears were in for a treat. I think I played and finish around 6 games today in the whole day, and I can't remember ever being 2 minutes without hearing quite a few curses, such as Shaq Fu, Delicious lower part of a woman, Men who like men and so forth.

After a bad experience there, I tried some Perfect Dark: Zero, and pretty much the same thing happened.

Now granted, I just tried these games for lacking any other, but I already regret spending the money to buy 13 months of Live, maybe I should have bought 1 and waiting for better games to play, but man am I disappointed.

So... with that said, I'll give it another try during the week, see if my ping improves (it should) and hope that I can find decent people to play with - not so sure about it yet :p.

Thank you for reading.

You could try getting Halo 3 and then within Halo 3, you can choose an option to only be matched with people with good connections to you.

Also, try newer games. Older games tend to have less players on them.

[quote name='Achuba Nanoia']This is a long post, so few free to not read it (and comment anyway!)

Wow, what a bad start to a supposedly great experience!

Yesterday I bought a Xbox Live card, but didn't really have a chance to try it out, just bought a couple of cars in Forza 2, no big deal.

Today, after a delightful breakfast, complete with cofee, bread, butter, orange juice and some melon, I decided to give my new Gold subscription a spin.

First game: Call of Duty 2. After being so frustraded yesterday trying to finish "The Silo" mission on Veteran, I tried some multiplayer. First, I was sad to see that Xbox 360 only allows 8 players in a match for CoD2. So, joined a game. Played a little big, not so bad, a couple of games later I had some fun, but 4 on 4 felt too repetitive for me.

Next game: Rainbow Six Vegas. Now my day started to go downhill. After making my char, I tried to join a few games. First, I couldn't get in a game: as soon as I joined any game that said "Lobby", it had already started, so I had to wait 5 to 10 minutes before I could actually play. Then, as soon as the game finished, people banned me for lagging. After a few tries, and a lot of bans, I decided the Internetz in Brazil is too bad, even on a good connection, for weekend gaming. But, I carried on until I could join a game without being banned. When I finally did, my ears were in for a treat. I think I played and finish around 6 games today in the whole day, and I can't remember ever being 2 minutes without hearing quite a few curses, such as Shaq Fu, Delicious lower part of a woman, Men who like men and so forth.

After a bad experience there, I tried some Perfect Dark: Zero, and pretty much the same thing happened.

Now granted, I just tried these games for lacking any other, but I already regret spending the money to buy 13 months of Live, maybe I should have bought 1 and waiting for better games to play, but man am I disappointed.

So... with that said, I'll give it another try during the week, see if my ping improves (it should) and hope that I can find decent people to play with - not so sure about it yet :p.

Thank you for reading.[/QUOTE]
internetdickwad.jpg

[quote name='help1']You could try getting Halo 3 and then within Halo 3, you can choose an option to only be matched with people with good connections to you.

Also, try newer games. Older games tend to have less players on them.[/QUOTE]
Note that playing Halo 3 on Live will be the worst experience of your life, as far as in game chat goes.

[quote name='Rocko']Note that playing Halo 3 on Live will be the worst experience of your life, as far as in game chat goes.[/quote]

That is a wide spread problem among all online games. It isn't limited to Halo, or even the 360.

But yea, sometimes it is just more fun to not wear the headset, unless you are playing with a friend.

[quote name='Wolve11']It would help if you played a game that wasn't made over 2 years ago...[/QUOTE]

This.

Quit playing such old games with no one playing them hardly. The newer games will net you a lot more possible games and as for the cussing, it's going to happen. Maybe try joining some sites for older games and play with people on there that try to stay away from the kids and language. Google for some and you will find them.

Thank you for the replies everyone.

I kind of imagined that part of my problems lie in the fact that I'm playing such old games... but hey, I got them cheap and this is cheapassgamer after all ; ) . But yeah, I got these pretty cheap and felt I should at least try them out. By the end of the month I plan to buy Fallout 3 and probably either Halo 3 or CoD4, whichever is cheaper at the time.

About the cussing, I guess I'll have to deal with it huh? I don't actually get offended by it or anything, but it's pretty annoying. Some dude actually played listening to some terrible rap music, and the host wouldn't kick him no matter what. Geez.

And about being Brazil, yeah, nothing to do about that lol. But I know from experience playing PC games that I only have lag problems during the weekend. Weekdays at night I'm 8 out of 10 times with a green ping.

You're going to be referred to as a man who vivaciously enjoys the company of other men whether you speak or don't speak, whether you have T1 or basic DSL, whether you get zero kills or "Match M.V.P.", and/or whether you are from the speaker(s)'s city or Brazil.

You basically paid money ($30+) to be called a homosexual. Welcome to Xbox Live!

[quote name='Achuba Nanoia']Thank you for the replies everyone.

I kind of imagined that part of my problems lie in the fact that I'm playing such old games... but hey, I got them cheap and this is cheapassgamer after all ; ) . But yeah, I got these pretty cheap and felt I should at least try them out. By the end of the month I plan to buy Fallout 3 and probably either Halo 3 or CoD4, whichever is cheaper at the time.

About the cussing, I guess I'll have to deal with it huh? I don't actually get offended by it or anything, but it's pretty annoying. Some dude actually played listening to some terrible rap music, and the host wouldn't kick him no matter what. Geez.

And about being Brazil, yeah, nothing to do about that lol. But I know from experience playing PC games that I only have lag problems during the weekend. Weekdays at night I'm 8 out of 10 times with a green ping.[/quote]

Halo 3 and COD 4 both have quick mute features, just for moments when people are abusing the their mic privileges.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']You're going to be referred to as a man who vivaciously enjoys the company of other men whether you speak or don't speak, whether you have T1 or basic DSL, whether you get zero kills or "Match M.V.P.", and/or whether you are from the speaker(s)'s city or Brazil.

You basically paid money ($30+) to be called a homosexual. Welcome to Xbox Live![/quote]

Indeed, especially on those older XBL games with all the trolls lurking about.

You're going to have to get used to the insults if you want to play online at all. Not just on the 360, but online period. It's just a fact of online gaming, people are dicks.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']You're going to be referred to as a man who vivaciously enjoys the company of other men whether you speak or don't speak, whether you have T1 or basic DSL, whether you get zero kills or "Match M.V.P.", and/or whether you are from the speaker(s)'s city or Brazil.

You basically paid money ($30+) to be called a homosexual. Welcome to Xbox Live![/quote]

This statement is 100% true.

[quote name='seanr1221']I'm more shocked people still play those games online.[/quote]

I tried playing Prey multiplayer last year and there was one guy playing. I searched for another game and went back to the same person. It was pretty funny, yet oh so lame. At least single-player was worth it.

There are a lot of jerks who play online, but when you find the people you have a good connection with, are fun to play with, and are easy to communicate it's what makes the system work.

I love playing online, and just tune out the idiots at this point because the competition is worth it to me. But thanks to sites like this I have friendly people to game with, and i've also made friends with people I only met through games and enjoyed playing together with.

Live is certainly not all rainbows and puppies, but if you enjoy multiplayer and don't often have people over it's well worth it.

I've found you can't get away from stupid people with headsets, but I have a 360 and PS3, and I have to say, most are on the 360.
I think its because there are a lot more younger people playing the 360 cause they got it for their birthday or for Christmas, and their other punk friends have it.

But the PS3 is more expensive, and I think most parents won't drop that kind of money to buy their kid a gaming console. Most people who have a PS3 are old enough to at least have jobs to pay for their PS3's.

Also, the 360 pro comes with a headset right out of the box, so every little punk ass kid out there with a mouth can say stupid crap right from the get go.

Anyways, I'm not saying the PS3 doesn't have people who abuse their headsets. I've just found with my experience that its worse on Xbox Live.
The last time I tried to join a game on Burnout Revenge, I hear... "FarmhouseMedia?!? That name sounds pretty gay!" *You have been kicked from the game*

A lot of games have MUTE now, which is GOOD!

As for lag issues, its got nothing to do with LIVE and if you're lagging brings down the whole game, then yes, expect to be banned.

Lol, way to sum up my feelings :p. I feel welcomed already haha.

Anyways, today after I come back from work I'll give it another try, I'll report my experience after that.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Its caz you live in Brazil[/quote]

Really?

[quote name='Achuba Nanoia']...I can't remember ever being 2 minutes without hearing quite a few curses, such as Shaq Fu, Delicious lower part of a woman, Men who like men and so forth.
[/quote]

How does that have to do with being in Brazil? I'd bet dollars to donuts that all those homophobic pottymouths are actually Americans, in the USA.

[quote name='snookie_wookums']Really?

How does that have to do with being in Brazil? I'd bet dollars to donuts that all those homophobic pottymouths are actually Americans, in the USA.[/quote]

What they're saying it's because of lag on the posters part because he lives in Brazil, it has nothing to do with race.

There's a member of the CoD 360 CAG Group that lives in Australia, and anytime he has over 1 bar on any game he gets legitimately excited.

[quote name='snookie_wookums']Really?

How does that have to do with being in Brazil? I'd bet dollars to donuts that all those homophobic pottymouths are actually Americans, in the USA.[/QUOTE]

Did you ever play a game such as Rainbow Six Vegas with a person that had a 1-2 bar connection? They slowed the room up for connection speeds for one and 2 they had a huge advantage (almost like having host) because instead of the real-time that the host gets, they have so much lag they aren't actually getting hit by your bullets that you see hitting them. Trust me, I have a friend from Mexico that I played Vegas 1 and 2 with and it clearly affected the game (which is why random people with connections like that get booted...)

As for the "homophobic pottymouths", that is everywhere, not just the US. I have run into plenty of people from the UK, Australia, France, Canada, Mexico, and yes, the US that do this (I probably fit in with the "pottymouth" crowd, though I don't start the stuff). Of course, we all know that is only the big bad Americans that say things like this on Xbox Live though.

Make some friends on CAG or send FR's to good players that you find. Also, keep it to within Party chat so you can stay out of in-game chat.

Hey guys, some updates and a couple of points:

1- First of all, the problem with living in Brazil is, like most people guessed, my latency. Even though I have a very good connection, the lag adds up when I play with US servers, which is to be expected. Also, I never meant that people in the US are any more or less "pottymouths" than any other nation, I just meant that those were the only people I've encountered :p. So, chill everyone, don't blow this out of proportion.

2- Like I imagined, my latency is really bad on weekends, but today I played again some more and I was green almost 90% of the time, just when the server was really crowded I became yellow, but still, I didn't notice any major lag, though I did sometimes wonder "wth just hapenned, I clearly shot that guy in the head and he didn't die". Still, fun times.

3- Took me a while, but I did get to play a couple of games with decent people. Didn't really chat much, but everybody seemed focused on playing the game well instead of complaining. Always a plus.

With that said, I must say that while I still regret buying my subscription before having newer games to play and knowing some people who play these games, today my opinion was much less negative about my experience.

So, look me up for some Rainbow Six: Vegas during the weekdays if anyone still plays this, and maybe even some CoD2, but don't count on it :p.

My response wasn't implied to you Achuba, it was the person that decided to say it was the Americans that did it (and it is likely they were, but they made it sound as if it is only Americans that do it). Games like Vegas 1 could be fine for you since you should be able to see around what your connection will be before entering the room, unlike games like Call of Duty and the likes which can cause you to get an earful. Also, I wouldn't worry about not chatting much, I personally take out my headset unless I am playing with friends or I am just in a party chat with friends.

There's an option to mute people from their profile. That used to be a lifesaver before parties. You'd be surprised how many times you can run into people again. There were many many times back in the day when I heard people complaining about someone I had already muted in a prior game.

Yeah just don't use the headset, then the idiots are just talking to themselves.
Personally I find the thing pretty uncomfortable to wear anyway, I only dig it out for special occasions.

[quote name='MSUHitman']What they're saying it's because of lag on the posters part because he lives in Brazil, it has nothing to do with race.

There's a member of the CoD 360 CAG Group that lives in Australia, and anytime he has over 1 bar on any game he gets legitimately excited.[/quote]

Every time I see your Lucy Pinder sig, I get legitimately excited too!

bread's done
Back