A good sign "Natal" isn't aimed at you, hardcore gamers

reddjoey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Eager to experience Project Natal for yourself? Xbox 360 has teamed up with Justin Bieber to bring all the fun of Project Natal to the singing sensation’s “My World” tour. Just look for the Project Natal kiosks when you’re at Justin’s show and enjoy your sneak peek at the future of gaming!

And then, there's this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm0KKa6wACQ

I think I am going to pass

[quote name='reddjoey']I think I am going to pass[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I wish Microsoft the best with this but I think it's gonna fail so badly. Those people in the video look so stupid.

[quote name='Edge of Heart']Ditto. I wish Microsoft the best with this but I think it's gonna fail so badly. Those people in the video look so stupid.[/QUOTE]

Microsoft seems to be displaying an alarming lack of market awareness with Natal. Usually I have thought of them as pretty savvy about what core gamers will be interested in, but they clearly seem to be in the dark here.

FWIW, with Move, Sony at least seems to be trying to make something which might actually be an enjoyable gaming experience.

Wow, that is terrible. I must say though motion gaming is really overrated.

I had a Wii, and thankfully sold it recently as I hardly ever played it. The rail gun games were fun and its a good party console however I was always weary of shattering my TV with a wiimote.

I don't understand what they're doing... I guess someone is going to buy it, but I can't imagine playing any RPGs, SRPGs or action/adventures (my favorite kind of games) with the thing.

They should of saved this new technology for next gen as it would of given it more time to mature and developers would of had more time.

Asking people to dish out another $100 for either device to get HD Wii games sounds ridiculous. And if the only thing for the core gamers is some gimmicky controls for Fable III and Socom and whatever they tack on for other games in the future, I'm going to pass.

I know people have always had this futuristic view of video games ever since the 80s with virtual reality and motion control, but damn,some people just like chilling on their couch with a cup of tea as they wiggle some analogs. Very few gamers past childhood are going to want to pretend to be holding swords or guns after a long day of work or school.

[quote name='panzerfaust']
I know people have always had this futuristic view of video games ever since the 80s with virtual reality and motion control, but damn,some people just like chilling on their couch with a cup of tea as they wiggle some analogs. Very few gamers past childhood are going to want to pretend to be holding swords or guns after a long day of work or school.[/QUOTE]

I might be interested if it was done well, and not done like I'm an idiot with my arms flailing around. I don't think we're there yet.

[quote name='bvharris']I might be interested if it was done well, and not done like I'm an idiot with my arms flailing around. I don't think we're there yet.[/QUOTE]

Yeah if I could just raise my hand up and move my finger around and do some Minority Report shit as menu navigation, something like that would be amazing. And I know that they can do that, but not seamlessly or in an impressive way whatsoever.

But no, were still in the "move the controller to the side to reload!" era.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I don't understand what they're doing...[/QUOTE]

it's pretty simple.

The wii came out ahead.

MS wants a piece of that pie, so they put out their "fundamentally similar but with a slight twist" version, ala Zune.

WTF did I just watch? This will be a bigger failure than the Virtual Boy, Nintendo 64DD and the Power Glove put together.

[quote name='javeryh'] This will be a bigger failure than the Virtual Boy, Nintendo 64DD and the Power Glove put together.[/QUOTE]

I bet if you wired all of those up together you could make a sweet robot.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Yeah if I could just raise my hand up and move my finger around and do some Minority Report shit as menu navigation, something like that would be amazing. And I know that they can do that, but not seamlessly or in an impressive way whatsoever.
[/QUOTE]

The Fall Dashboard update will essentially be that.

I'm not going to jump on the hate bandwagon yet. It is stupid to use how a person looks while playing a casual motion control game as proof the game isn't fun and the concept is lame. Watching people play the Wii without seeing what's on the screen isn't much better.

My worry is that only casual/family games will come out for it, which might be true. But I don't mind, as I like variety. Also, with this technology you can do a lot of really cool things with just the mic and hand gesture technology - which can easily be integrated into 'hard core' games.

Hell, if my information is correct - just being able to talk on live without a headset is almost reason enough to buy it for me.

I'm going to wait and see what kind of games they come out with. My daughter absolutely LOVES gaming, and if they come out with educational games, she'd love it! She is only 4, and can actually play games, i think this would be perfect for her. Right now the only games she has are for the n64, since there aren't too many 360 games out there for kids (aside from a few indie games i have for her). Should be interesting.

I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like they are making this and stopping production on every other 'core gamer' game that will come out on the 360. They are looking to expand into what Nintendo tapped into with the Wii. Trying to get the Xbox 360 into more households? Sounds like a good idea to me.

If you don't like it, that is fine, but there is no need to get all up-in-arms about it and act like it is the end of the core gaming experience. Now if the next Halo, Call of Duty, Gears of War, or some similar high profile game requires this to play, then you can put on your tin foil hats. Until then, relax. ;)

I second not loading up on the hate wagon, but my interested has dropped a bit from might get "before 2011 if the price is right" I am in the "Minority Report would be awesome" camp, but it will take more than that.

It's obvious with Beiber hawking it and Parade Magazine getting an early look, I'm not the target audience. I think punklivz is exactly who they want. Nothing wrong with that. If I had kids, I certainly would consider it, but I probably would have a Wii

I think it could be awesome if the right developers create games with it in mind.

I really want to see a FPS game which supports head tracking or eye movement. That guy who did the head tracking youtube video with the Wiimote works for Microsoft now, and I bet he is working on Natal.

I still have hope that it could be worth it for little additions while still using a controller, but that hope goes out the window if its $150.

Looks terrible. I'm really interested to see what the price will be. If they are going for a more "casual" audience with a $150 console add-on then the execs over at Microsoft have truly lost it.

[quote name='Strell']I bet if you wired all of those up together you could make a sweet robot.[/QUOTE]

Someone needs to build this ASAP. It would be magnificent.

It looks like all they are showing are the demos ( I hope those aren't the only games). I'm still waiting on the big unveiling before I call it the Wii2.

[quote name='Strell']I bet if you wired all of those up together you could make a sweet robot.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. That'd be pretty amazing.

Also, is there a universally accepted definition of what a "hardcore gamer" is?

They should have destroyed the video of the mom in the capris like Nike did when Lebron got dunked on.

Nothing positive will come out of that Parade video.

[quote name='reddjoey']It's obvious with Beiber hawking it and Parade Magazine getting an early look, I'm not the target audience.[/QUOTE] This is pretty much exactly how I feel about Natal, and how I've felt about it since it was first announced. I don't think that qualifies as hating on it; for the people looking forward to it, I hope it turns out to be everything you want it to be. It just doesn't interest me personally at all because I'm fairly certain that the games I want to play won't be using this.

Still, if it were coming out for $50 instead of the $100-150 it sounds like it will retail for, I'd probably get it for my wife and kids. We have a Wii that I have zero interest in as well (apart from Mario Galaxy and a very few other titles), and they love that, so Natal might be right up their alley.

[quote name='bvharris']Microsoft seems to be displaying an alarming lack of market awareness with Natal. Usually I have thought of them as pretty savvy about what core gamers will be interested in, but they clearly seem to be in the dark here.[/QUOTE]

These two sentences are contradictory. The best way to make money in the video game market isn't to make games for the "core gamers" but to make games for the masses. Nintendo has proven time and time again.

[quote name='reddjoey']I second not loading up on the hate wagon, but my interested has dropped a bit from might get "before 2011 if the price is right" I am in the "Minority Report would be awesome" camp, but it will take more than that.

It's obvious with Beiber hawking it and Parade Magazine getting an early look, I'm not the target audience. I think punklivz is exactly who they want. Nothing wrong with that. If I had kids, I certainly would consider it, but I probably would have a Wii[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I know I might play a few games too. I love my wii, even though it's a little dusty LOL. I don't mind spending 100$ if they have a good selection for children games. My Dad also comes over and plays uno on my xbox lol, he would love a fishing game on this. I think it's a great thing they are doing, and it's definitely aimed more towards casual gamers.

I find it hard to label myself any kind of gamer.. I play everything except RTS, eww. I like having the controller in my hand, I can't see myself playing a shooter with this..

[quote name='help1']These two sentences are contradictory. The best way to make money in the video game market isn't to make games for the "core gamers" but to make games for the masses. Nintendo has proven time and time again.[/QUOTE]
The problem though is that Nintendo is the only good developer for their console

6dzhc6.jpg

Thank you internet [stolen from Joytiq user: WINterfang (Grammar killed my family)]

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't get why Sony and Microsoft have to go after the casual gamer demographic. They already have a Wii in most cases. It is like reinventing the wheel. There really is other technologies out there I am sure they could explore that haven't been tapped yet. I wish them well, but the Natal is going to collapse on its own hype and we will all be sick of this motion control crap once and for all.

You know the worst part about this? All the people who know I play video games are going to think that I'm doing that shit. :D

[quote name='Vinny']What's next? Twilight: The Natal Saga?[/QUOTE]

Can I feel Kristen Stewart's boobs after the camera "recognizes" my muscular, shirtless form as a "werewolf"?

I don't consider myself a hardcore gamer but I just can't imagine a game that would come out that would compel me to adopt this new peripheral.

I didn't think anything could "top" the Wii Music unveiling at E3 2008...
loldrums.gif

but that Natal family video may have just taken the cake.

The best part is that the adults seem more interested in it (however fake that interest may be) than the kids who like they couldn't give a shit (especially the one in red).

Um, that video is clearly just a mo-cap test. Apparently Natal uses machine learning to interpret gestures, so it requires lots of data from lots of different people, moving in lots of different ways. Also good to see that they are tuning it for young kids. Just because it will work for casual gamers doesn't mean that hardcore gamers will be left in the cold though. To assume otherwise is judging the book by the cover, and it will depend largely on developers in any case.

Oh, and just because some people use Natal in a silly (ok, freaking ridiculous) manner, does not mean that's the normal (or best) way to play. It's pretty easy to look like a moron while using a keyboard and mouse, millions of people do it every day on the internet. ;)

[quote name='thrustbucket']
I'm not going to jump on the hate bandwagon yet. It is stupid to use how a person looks while playing a casual motion control game as proof the game isn't fun and the concept is lame. Watching people play the Wii without seeing what's on the screen isn't much better.
[/QUOTE]
Jump on the hate bandwagon?? I built my own hate bandwagon, this looks like piece of fuck. Shame on any CAG who doesn't pick Natal up from the bargain bin at discount city.

Hmmm... PASS, I think I'll spend the $150 on alcohol and illicit substances instead, then I can flail my arms around and act like a complete douche all on my own! I guess Microsoft also thinks that the majority of gamers live in large empty spaces with no furniture. I for one enjoy gaming in my cramped apartment with a controller while sitting on my unemployed ass. MS and Sony, if we wanted to play Wii we would just buy one, and then only use it to play Smash Bros., NSMB, and all the other games that don't bother using motion control.

[quote name='javeryh']WTF did I just watch? This will be a bigger failure than the Virtual Boy, Nintendo 64DD and the Power Glove put together.[/QUOTE]

Would you settle for a Super Scope, Power Glove, NES Zapper, and Power Pad all put together?!

[youtube]7CDppjS3LQc[/youtube]

[quote name='Matt Young']Can I feel Kristen Stewart's boobs after the camera "recognizes" my muscular, shirtless form as a "werewolf"?[/QUOTE]

Doesn't she have to "have boobs" first for you to be able to feel them?!

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back