A new PS3 model with Uncharted 3 Game of the Year Edition September 25th

ckc4043

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
http://us.playstation.com/ps3/systems/uncharted3-gameofyear-bundle.html

A new PS3 model was just announced at TGS! Smaller and lighter, it'll be available as part of a bundle with Uncharted 3 Game of the Year Edition September 25th.
ps3-uncharted3-system-large.png

With over $70 in savings, the new PlayStation®3 250GB system and UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception™ Game of the Year Edition bundle, showcase the intensity and realism of the best console for gamers.
UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception™ Game of the Year Edition is Nathan Drake’s latest adventure that propels the fortune hunter on a trek into the heart of the Arabian Desert and includes over $45 of Bonus Content! DUST 514, a free to play game available exclusively on the PlayStation Network, thrusts you into the explosive ground conflict of the EVE universe.
Bundle Contents:
PlayStation®3 System 250GB
Uncharted 3: Game of the Year Edition
Dust 514 game + over $30 of Dust DLC (Voucher)
DUALSHOCK®3 wireless controller
AC Power Cord
AV Cable
USB Cable

From ral1121,
"In the US, the 250GB model will be out on September 25, and will include Uncharted 3 and a $30 "digital content" voucher for DUST 514 (a free-to-play game). It'll cost $270.
There'll also be a 500GB bundle including Assassin's Creed III that'll go on sale in the US on October 30. No price on that one yet."

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='akathatoneguy']No worries, I asked for it! You actually had a lot of well-thought out reasons, and a lot of it comes down to personal preference, which I can't dispute. If I may play devil's advocate on a few of your points, though:

#1- Games have been $50+ for a long time. I remember NES games were $50, and most of them could be beat within a few hours or less.

#2- I personally don't think we'll be looking at JUST digital downloads for a long, long time. The last time I looked up the stats, something like 20% of the United States does not have access to broadband internet (even if they wanted to have it), mostly in rural areas. Furthermore, if they stop selling games in stores, stores will stop carrying their systems. Whichever system became the first to do so would have to have massive balls, because if (for instance) MS decided to go all digital and Wal-Mart said "eff you then, we're not selling your systems if you won't have us selling your games", it would be a massive advantage to Sony.

#3- That's another thing I don't see happening, at least not in the next generation of games.

As far as the extra stuff (achievements, entertainment apps, DLC) I would say that you don't have to participate if you don't want to. Of course, with achievements you have no choice...I guess you can turn off alerts so it doesn't interrupt your gaming, but you will still be earning them regardless. And yeah, it sucks when story-based DLC comes out which is overpriced, but I personally just don't buy stuff on Day 1. Even stuff like Dawnguard I will just wait on until it's on sale.

As far as game length, like I said, I remember the NES days of paying $50 for a 2-3 hour game (or at least, having your parents pay that much, ha ha). I'm always surprised when people say that games today don't have the value that they used to, since with every generation they have gotten longer and longer while prices have stayed right around $50-60.

Anyway though, a lot of your points are very good ones (I miss manuals, too!) and many of them are about personal preference- which is "to each their own" territory. Thanks for taking the time to reply.[/QUOTE]

1 - Agree 100% but considering the technology, the console's power, resources, etc., it just feels like you're paying more for less. Maybe, its because of all the DLC, Complete/GOTY/Gold editions, etc. It just feels like as a consumer im paying more but getting less. Its probably just me but I do agree with what you said.

2 - Agree in regards to say, Microsoft going all digital but not Sony or vice versa but I think that there's still a chance that it could happen with Xbox 3 and PS4 because when you actually make a list of positives and negatives, the positives far outweigh the negatives for Sony, Microsoft and developers/publishers. If not next gen, then 100% with Xbox 4 and PS5.

By going all digital, the cost is dramatically reduced for the companies in so many ways. No manufacturing (except consoles) of discs, cases, no printing of manuals, no distribution costs, etc. Then add in that in order to play the game, you simply buy it at full price or you dont. Companies would never ever have to reduce the prices of the games because there would be no reason for them to do so. It would eliminate them losing money from someone buying a used game instead of brand new.

With games being focused more on online gameplay day by day, the reality of companies going all digital is getting closer and closer. Look at Sony, they have that "day one digital" promotion or whatever its called. People will buy the available games via DD.

As for stores not carrying consoles, it wouldnt matter because with online, you can easily order via your PC and never leave your house. As for the 20% that dont have access to broadband internet/Fios/Optimum, etc., it wouldnt matter to the companies because the money saved from going all digital at worse for them, breaks even.

The number one focus on gaming nowadays is online. There's a reason for that. Companies, developers and publishers know what they're doing. They're basically preparing everyone for when the day does come that gaming goes all digital.

The worse thing that I hate about gamertags is with online passes and downloading roster updates, they can only be used on the gamertag that downloaded them. You can play DLC and the games using different gamertags because the content is licensed to the console, not the gamertag but in those other instances, its the opposite.

As for games nowadays not having the value, the cost of the actual game $50 to $60 between the NES days and now are the same and while the games nowadays have far superior visuals, etc., that doesnt make them better or more valuable than the old school games. Take any game from this generation, keep it sealed as a collector's item and there's still no way that it would be half of the value of an factory sealed SNES classic like Chrono Trigger.

In twenty years from now, this generation of games will at most be worth the same price now where as old classics will still be worth more. So while the technology and whatnot have advanced a lot, the games nowadays just dont hold that "I have to keep this game forever" sentimental feeling.

A lot of it is own personal opinion. I used to be a hardcore gamer back in the day. Now, im casual. The games themselves are still for the most part fun, entertaining and enjoyable but everything else around the games arent.

Anyway, like you said, "to each his/her own". I'm not speaking for anyone but me but I personally will be done with gaming once 360/PS3 is dead. My interest is nowhere near what it used to be and more stuff that I prefer gets taken away, the more my interest becomes less and less.

In the end, im in the minority who prefers the SNES/GEN era out of them all. But again, to each his/her own. :)

Stores don't carry any software for Ipad or Kindle, but will carry them to bring people to the store. Remember the markup is much higher on accessories than games.

Amazon has a decent deal on the 320 gb Original Slim right now, for anyone who wants that version.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1403844902&pf_rd_i=468642
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10024471&posted=1#post10024471

[quote name='dan77733']2014 is my guess for Xbox 3 and PS4.

Once this generation dies, I'll sell off my 360 and PS3 and just stick with my slim PS2 and probably buy back an SNES. The reasons are simple actually -

Anyway, thats pretty much it. Sorry for the long ass book but you said you were curious. LOL. :)[/QUOTE]

Looking at your points,
1) Completely agree, and I think costs will continue to go up and many will stop playing games because of it. Then there will also be free to play which will be good for some stuff but will be abused by publishers and people will first gravitate to it and then find out later how much of a rip off it is.

2) Agree Sony will probably charge for online and at some point Nintendo too. XBLive cost will increase. Publishers will continue to do things to charge like that COD Elite and BF 3 Premium crap, more publishers will get in on it. But you won't see digital download only until the generation after PS4, if there is one and not just cloud gaming on PS4 generation hardware. Even when there is digital only we will see sales because there will be competition in different games and hopefully enough different devices to play on.

3 & 4 & 5) Ya that sucks. I think we'll see more achievement type modern gaming ideas next gen. DLC is the biggest rip off in gaming. The only good stuff is the expansion pack type content and even then it sucks because you can't sell it. Once in a blue moon there's something small that is actually worth it, until you stop playing that game of course.

I usually never buy DLC, hold out for the GOTY editions, but then gaming isn't as fun because you have to wait years and then you lose interest because nobody plays the game anymore or talks about it. Or a game that was once AAA gets surpassed in graphics, gameplay, etc from a newer game. Then there's EA who usually don't bundle their DLC on disc.

6) Don't mind the extra stuff, but it is stupid that you're basically paying more on 360 and will overtime to access it. Hope that part remains free on PS4.

7 Amen :applause: Unfortunately, IMHO only Sony really cares about core gaming on consoles anymore. And since they're doing so bad they may eventually have to abandon that and start doing casual more than anything else. Maybe. Unless core gamers can unite behind PS4 as THE core console next gen while Nintendo and MS stay how they are currently.

1) The good thing is you'll see more and more of that with even larger budgets, but you'll also see prices rise to where XBLA/PSN games will have many be or even the norm be $20. Cash for in game coins lol, the future will bring a lot more of that with the free-to-play games but those will actually be Pay-to-Play where you'll have to grind for hours unless you pay up.

[quote name='io']Didn't realize there was a thread for this. I got mine Sunday and have pretty much just been downloading all my PSN purchases and PS+ freebies. I haven't even tried putting a disc in yet. I'm not even sure how it opens/closes. It seems to have a button that pops it open, but doesn't close it? I dunno - will check it out some time though ;). The button is just sort of the left side of the front of the system and does seem pretty cheesy (the whole "bar" with the PS logo pushes in on one side only and as such doesn't feel like a button at all).
[/QUOTE]

I was under the impression the button to open the drive is only mechanical parts - not electronic, thus the reason for not being able to close.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla'] The other thing I don't like about this generation is that more single player content isn't added to the games I enjoy. Like any of the Uncharted games, I'd love if I could do a few more missions but it's all online based content. I honestly think the only way I'm buying the next generation of consoles is if they support full backwards compatibility. I have you many games that I need to finish. Time will tell though.[/QUOTE]

No no no please don't tell developers you want single player based DLC. They will chop the game up into pieces and you'll have to pay for the ending. PS4 will not be BC due to the CPU being too different from the Cell CPU unless they do it through software. 720 maybe but it's MS so they will probably prefer to resell to you too.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dan77733']2014 is my guess for Xbox 3 and PS4.

Once this generation dies, I'll sell off my 360 and PS3 and just stick with my slim PS2 and probably buy back an SNES. The reasons are simple actually -

1) Too much money for less. Now, you pay $60 for a game but then spend more money to unlock stuff in the game, extra characters, missions, etc. to where the cost is just insane. Online passes too. When I see stuff available for purchase for avatars, I know gaming is going downhill. Seriously, I have purchased some DLC for games but not much and none whatsoever for themes and avatar stuff. Just think thats flushing money down the toilet.

2) Online/Digital Download. I dont play online and could care less about it. When I need to be a Gold member just to download a roster for Madden 13, there's a problem. PS3 is free to play and whatnot but that will change with PS4. Speaking of Madden 13, its a perfect example. M13 is meant to be played online which makes it useless to me. And people dont realize that the more you're willing to pay to play online, the greater the chances are that next gen systems go all digital which would be horrible because there's no reason for any publisher (especially those like EA, Activision, Capcom, etc.) to ever lower the price. Game releases at $60 and STAYS at that price forever because there would be no other way to play the game. Also, if the game is crap or you dont like it or finished it and wont play it again, you're stuck with it and cant sell it to get back some money to put towards an upcoming game.

3) The death of used games. Online passes are the start of this. Buying a game used and then having to buy an online pass to play the game online? What a rip off. Also, if you buy a game used, you're getting it cheaper than new which is another reason why I think that eventually consoles will be all digital. It eliminates so much in one move and favors those making the money.

4) Achievements/Trophies, etc. I hate all this crap. I think that a lot of games get played extra just because of this as opposed to the game actually being worth playing again. I hate having to create an avatar and keeping a record of every game I played especially when I cant delete the game. Just prefer the old days of plug and play.

5) DLC. I have bought some DLC for games because I wanted to keep playing them which is why now, I try finishing the game within a week or two and sell it because if I see DLC that I actually want to play (Sleeping Dogs would be a perfect example for me), I'll keep buying it which means it will just increase which long term is a bad thing. Also, combine this with Digital Download only and you'll have companies selling games via DD along with DLC content so instead of $60, you'll have to pay $80, $100 or even more but wont be able to do anything about it because you'll have no other way of playing the game.

6) All this extra stuff. Netflix, Hulu, etc. A video game console is meant to do just that - play games. If I wanted to do all this extra stuff, I wouldnt turn on my game console and pop in a game. Worse, there's too much focus on all of this crap when the focus should be on the games themselves. More worse is the fact that you need Gold to use all the apps which is nuts. If I wanted to watch Netflix, I would pay the $8, get an HDMI cable, connect my laptop to my HDTV and save $60 for Gold and the result is the same. Core aspects of video games are becoming less and less of a priority which is sad because thats what you're paying for to begin with but arent getting.

7) WiiMotion, Kinect, Move. UGH. I hate all this motion sensor camera whatever crap. Give me a damn controller, turn the system on, put in the disc and get out of my way so I can play the game. This is all just gimmicky crap. Granted, its made Nintendo a LOT of money and build their user base for Wii U but at the same time, majority of those people werent playing video games 20 years ago like I was. I want more traditional games that are worth the price and worth playing without any of this extra crap that should be in the game to begin with instead of being added as $15 DLC.

8) Manuals/Booklets. This is meaningless to most but important to me. Now, I open a new game and I see a two page manual telling me to go online to see the full manual. I remember back when I bought Chrono Trigger for SNES and the manual was like 80 something pages. Buying and opening games back then was actually exciting and that was before playing the game. This is also another reason why gaming will go all digital sooner rather than later.

9) Length of majority of games are too short. Some games are just over too damn fast even though majority of people exaggerate (especially on review sites) the game length. Short game length also means more DLC and more money spent for less.

10) Missions/chapters, etc. that require online play even though the single player story does not. Lone example is the prologue in Splinter Cell Conviction. Wanted to play it but dont play online and have no freinds that care about SCC so im stuck. Why you couldnt control Archer (or Kestrel) and have the CPU AI control the other guy is beyond me. See how this gen has taken away the focus from single player games to online, online, its all online?

Thats pretty much it. The only things I like about this era of gaming are (but not without faults) -

1) XBLA/PSN. Games like Outland, Lara Croft, Shadow Complex, Rainbow Moon, etc. are damn good games, far cheaper at $15 (or $10 in Outland's case) and actually better than majority of retail games. Granted, I prefer disc based games but I can understand games like these being released this way because they wont make any money but at least they're good games. Also, I have realized that XBLA/PSN games dont all have DLC for them which is a positive. Some do but compared to retail games, isnt not even close. Rainbow Moon for example is arguably the RPG of the year and its only $15. I will say all that DLC add on crap they have for it is just way too much. Cash for in-game coins? Seriously, WTF? Aside from that, I have actually played more XBLA/PSN games than I have retail games because quite simply, they're better, more fun and less money and more times than not, no DLC.

2) Patches. This is good to fix bugs, problems, glitches, etc. but the problem is that because of this, extra problems make it into the final retail product which shouldnt happen. Sometimes I think that companies dont even test their games figuring that the consumers will do it for them, complain and then, they can just release a patch to shut everyone up.

3) Ability to share files. Perfect example would be NBA 2K11. When I went online to download the roster update on PS3, I see all these classic rosters and stuff which brought back good memories. Stuff like this is good. Charging extra money for it or to be a Gold member to access this stuff is not. Gold member comment mainly towards Madden. Dont know if any other game has the same problems.

4) DLC. Yeah, few times, I bought DLC. Would I rather have it die? Yes but with that said, if the DLC is good and cheap, its worth it. If not, then nope. Perfect example for me is Splinter Cell Conviction. Love the game and loved Deniable Ops. Paying $10 for the Insurgency Pack was worth the price because it was good, solid to good length and added more playing time to Deniable Ops which I loved. Worse part of DLC is that companies take advantage of us with it. But then again, if everyone buys DLC (including me), they will continue doing it so I guess I cant complain that much.

Anyway, thats pretty much it. Sorry for the long ass book but you said you were curious. LOL. :)[/QUOTE]

Looking at your points,
1) Completely agree, and I think costs will continue to go up and many will stop playing games because of it. Then there will also be free to play which will be good for some stuff but will be abused by publishers and people will first gravitate to it and then find out later how much of a rip off it is.

2) Agree Sony will probably charge for online and at some point Nintendo too. XBLive cost will increase. Publishers will continue to do things to charge like that COD Elite and BF 3 Premium crap, more publishers will get in on it. But you won't see digital download only until the generation after PS4, if there is one and not just cloud gaming on PS4 generation hardware. Even when there is digital only we will see sales because there will be competition in different games and hopefully enough different devices to play on.

3 & 4 & 5) Ya that sucks. I think we'll see more achievement type modern gaming ideas next gen. DLC is the biggest rip off in gaming. The only good stuff is the expansion pack type content and even then it sucks because you can't sell it. Once in a blue moon there's something small that is actually worth it, until you stop playing that game of course.

I usually never buy DLC, hold out for the GOTY editions, but then gaming isn't as fun because you have to wait years and then you lose interest because nobody plays the game anymore or talks about it. Or a game that was once AAA gets surpassed in graphics, gameplay, etc from a newer game. Then there's EA who usually don't bundle their DLC on disc.

6) Don't mind the extra stuff, but it is stupid that you're basically paying more on 360 and will overtime to access it. Hope that part remains free on PS4.

7 Amen :applause: Unfortunately, IMHO only Sony really cares about core gaming on consoles anymore. And since they're doing so bad they may eventually have to abandon that and start doing casual more than anything else. Maybe. Unless core gamers can unite behind PS4 as THE core console next gen while Nintendo and MS stay how they are currently.

1) The good thing is you'll see more and more of that with even larger budgets, but you'll also see prices rise to where XBLA/PSN games will have many be or even the norm be $20. Cash for in game coins lol, the future will bring a lot more of that with the free-to-play games but those will actually be Pay-to-Play where you'll have to grind for hours unless you pay up.

[quote name='io']Didn't realize there was a thread for this. I got mine Sunday and have pretty much just been downloading all my PSN purchases and PS+ freebies. I haven't even tried putting a disc in yet. I'm not even sure how it opens/closes. It seems to have a button that pops it open, but doesn't close it? I dunno - will check it out some time though ;). The button is just sort of the left side of the front of the system and does seem pretty cheesy (the whole "bar" with the PS logo pushes in on one side only and as such doesn't feel like a button at all).
[/QUOTE]

I was under the impression the button to open the drive is only mechanical parts - not electronic, thus the reason for not being able to close.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla'] The other thing I don't like about this generation is that more single player content isn't added to the games I enjoy. Like any of the Uncharted games, I'd love if I could do a few more missions but it's all online based content. I honestly think the only way I'm buying the next generation of consoles is if they support full backwards compatibility. I have you many games that I need to finish. Time will tell though.[/QUOTE]

No no no please don't tell developers you want single player based DLC. They will chop the game up into pieces and you'll have to pay for the ending. PS4 will not be BC due to the CPU being too different from the Cell CPU unless they do it through software. 720 maybe but it's MS so they will probably prefer to resell to you too.

lol what. so you played this gen and enjoyed it enough to buy multiple systems but once it ends you will just sell the systems and live 10-20 years in the past?

i really dont get that.

[quote name='lewchief']It's not actually a slide out tray. The cover on top slides over to the left side.[/QUOTE]

Yep, and it is a little on the cheesy side. It opens automatically if you push the left side of the little bar (with the PS logo on the front). But it doesn't seem to close automatically. I'm guessing the opening is just spring-loaded and not mechanical so that's why it only works one way. To close it, you have to slide it, and it sort of catches near the end and you have to force it past that to close it completely. It definitely doesn't seem very sturdy in that regard. However, the lack of a slot or tray-loading mechanism will probably mean it is actually more durable than previous PS3 models.

[quote name='kayne2000']lol what. so you played this gen and enjoyed it enough to buy multiple systems but once it ends you will just sell the systems and live 10-20 years in the past?

i really dont get that.[/QUOTE]

This gen is good, but gaming really is going downhill. DLC, online passes, bugs/patches, same generic games over and over. I can understand why someone wouldn't want to get a next gen console, as I probably won't either. I'm definitely keeping my PS3 though.

[quote name='roundhouse']This gen is good, but gaming really is going downhill. DLC, online passes, bugs/patches, same generic games over and over. I can understand why someone wouldn't want to get a next gen console, as I probably won't either. I'm definitely keeping my PS3 though.[/QUOTE]

yea i could understand not wanting a next gen console especially if they have a huge backlog or finances or just losing interest for whatever reason but selling your current systems and going back to the nes era and ps2 era? that part i dont get.

while i do see some issues with this current generation of gaming i dont find it to be worse than the previous one....i do admit i miss days where i was teenager and gaming was one massive social event as opposed to now.

Definitely trading in my little brothers fat Ps3 at gs, but not sure if I should get him a slim or a sup slim. I've had my slim over a year and the only problems I've had are weird occasional noises and a rare freeze up here and there.

[quote name='kayne2000']lol what. so you played this gen and enjoyed it enough to buy multiple systems but once it ends you will just sell the systems and live 10-20 years in the past?

I actually thought about doing it at one point. It's kinda hard to explain, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Best way to explain it is to sort of compare it to some older people and music. Regardless of the fact that there are now MP3 players and before that CDs, there was just something about having old records and a record player that you wanted to hang on to forever. Even if your same old music had been remastered and now sounds cleaner than ever, you simply don't want to have anything to do with it and just want your records. I guess it's a way of holding on to your youth.

[quote name='io']Yep, and it is a little on the cheesy side. It opens automatically if you push the left side of the little bar (with the PS logo on the front). But it doesn't seem to close automatically. I'm guessing the opening is just spring-loaded and not mechanical so that's why it only works one way. To close it, you have to slide it, and it sort of catches near the end and you have to force it past that to close it completely. It definitely doesn't seem very sturdy in that regard. However, the lack of a slot or tray-loading mechanism will probably mean it is actually more durable than previous PS3 models.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input, it is appreciated.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']I actually thought about doing it at one point. It's kinda hard to explain, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Best way to explain it is to sort of compare it to some older people and music. Regardless of the fact that there are now MP3 players and before that CDs, there was just something about having old records and a record player that you wanted to hang on to forever. Even if your same old music had been remastered and now sounds cleaner than ever, you simply don't want to have anything to do with it and just want your records. I guess it's a way of holding on to your youth.[/QUOTE]

well i guess wording it like that makes sense i can see that.....although me personally i could never live in the gaming past exclusively though i do revisit it from time to time....but it is funny i havent listened to hardly any new music barring a few exceptions since 2002 or 2001 lol.

I'd just like to ask anyone who purchases this and does not want to play DUST 514 at all, if you would be willing to give this fellow CAG your DUST 514 Ordinance Pack (with the Guristas Saga LAV)?

If you are not going to ever use it anyway it would be better than just throwing it away. If you do decide to give it to me please just PM me the code.

Though I have nothing to offer in return I would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance.

Enjoyed it enough to play games this gen but not enough to keep the consoles when they die. With gaming, living in the past will always be superior to the present. Always. Will never change. The only reason people think that gaming is at its best now is due to the visuals and graphics. Subtract that and gaming now gets buried. Main reason is that I can still play games from past eras. This current generation of gaming, Splinter Cell Conviction is the only game that I have played more than once. I can still play games from old school systems over and over because they're a lot more fun, at least to me anyway. Cant say for anyone else.

[quote name='kayne2000']yea i could understand not wanting a next gen console especially if they have a huge backlog or finances or just losing interest for whatever reason but selling your current systems and going back to the nes era and ps2 era? that part i dont get.

while i do see some issues with this current generation of gaming i dont find it to be worse than the previous one....i do admit i miss days where i was teenager and gaming was one massive social event as opposed to now.[/QUOTE]

I dont care about next gen consoles for several reasons. First, Wii U doesnt interest me at all. There's no launch game thats worth buying the system for and even if there was, I still dont have any interest in it. And $50 for the classic controller? Thats nuts.

I'm NOT selling the current systems now. In fact, im buying the super slim PS3 when the 500GB version is released in a few weeks. Once both PS3 and 360 are dead, then I will sell them off.

I just bought a PS2 for NFL 2K3. Thats right. NFL 2K3. Reason was because its a fun game for me to play and never get sick of playing it. Also, will eventually get some other classic PS2 and PSone games including MGS, Fear Effect 1 and 2, Manhunt and others. These games I can play through more than once. Current gen, very rare.

As for this generation being better than last generation, I would say that it's 50/50. I think that 360 is better than the original Xbox but PS2 is better than PS3. Of course, this is just my own personal opinion.

Nowadays, every game is focused on online gameplay and will only increase as time moves forward and yes, I do believe that gaming will go all digital sooner rather than later. You can just see how online gaming has evolved from just last gen systems. Thats what gaming will be centered around when Xbox 3 and PS4 come out. If both of those systems come out in 2014, then I think that both being digital download only becomes even more likely.

Quite simply, while I have enjoyed a decent amount of games this generation, I havent enjoyed them more than past generations. Before Xbox and Xbox live, games were single player focused with co-op as well. Now, thats nearly dead and will eventually be all online because when you look at all the money thats made from anything and everything online related, it can only go that way.

When it does, I wont be a part of any of it whatsoever but for those who are, happy gaming. :)

It makes PERFECT sense to buy old consoles/games after this gen. Why? Because you'll ACTUALLY BE ABLE TO PLAY THE ENTIRE GAME.

Try firing up Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 2, or Arkham City (just a few off the top o me head examples) ten years from now. Oh, what's that? The servers are down so you aren't able to authenticate the DLC you downloaded a decade ago and thus are forever locked out of playing that part of the game? Hooray for digital air!

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']It makes PERFECT sense to buy old consoles/games after this gen. Why? Because you'll ACTUALLY BE ABLE TO PLAY THE ENTIRE GAME.

Try firing up Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 2, or Arkham City (just a few off the top o me head examples) ten years from now. Oh, what's that? The servers are down so you aren't able to authenticate the DLC you downloaded a decade ago and thus are forever locked out of playing that part of the game? Hooray for digital air![/QUOTE]

This is another reason I should have listed in an earlier post but didnt even think about it.

Its true, look at NBA 2K11, 2K share no longer exists for it which is a shame. I understand why but still, it sucks that once 2K12 was released, 2K11 was dead. Right here, you can just see how the future of gaming is destined to go.

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']It makes PERFECT sense to buy old consoles/games after this gen. Why? Because you'll ACTUALLY BE ABLE TO PLAY THE ENTIRE GAME.

Try firing up Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 2, or Arkham City (just a few off the top o me head examples) ten years from now. Oh, what's that? The servers are down so you aren't able to authenticate the DLC you downloaded a decade ago and thus are forever locked out of playing that part of the game? Hooray for digital air![/QUOTE]
You forgot the most important thing if the servers are taken away, the patches. :whistle2:#

[quote name='htz']You forgot the most important thing if the servers are taken away, the patches. :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Another thing is how digital can vanish so quickly. Just look at TMNT Reshelled or Mega Man Legends (not digital, but still not coming back because of voice acting issues according to Capcom). The fact that one issue or another can result in a game being yanked from the online dsitributor is very scary indeed. Imagine if games like Earthbound had been digital only? No one would be able to play it because the threat of lawsuits would have gotten it pulled. And while you may currently be able to redownload something you purchased, how long is it before they simply take it away and give you a refund? So you lose a great game because of some sort of issue and you as a consumer have no recourse. How long will it take before some company decides it makes more money by just renting you the games? Giving up your ownership sounds like a very slippery slope especially given the the treatment of gamers at the hands of the big three as they try to draw in the casual gamer (see: Nintendo's treatment of lifelong fans and the Wii)

Something on topic, did anyone who redeemed their dust 514 code not get their aur or bonus weapons? All I have is the beta.

[quote name='J7.']Looks like MS has gone and pulled a Sony. Raising their damn prices I tell you. Better support them since we know MS is on hard times.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1402979382&pf_rd_i=468642[/QUOTE]
Right. You're actually paying for the media remote and $10 Amazon credit. Two things most people really don't want/need any way.

I traded in my 160GB Slim PS3 to GS for $190 today and contemplated picking up the Super Slim, but I just don't like the way it looks. Still have another 160GB, but if I decide to get another PS3 I will get another Slim. Maybe they will clearance them out soon.

bread's done
Back