A new PS3 model with Uncharted 3 Game of the Year Edition September 25th

ckc4043

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
http://us.playstation.com/ps3/systems/uncharted3-gameofyear-bundle.html

A new PS3 model was just announced at TGS! Smaller and lighter, it'll be available as part of a bundle with Uncharted 3 Game of the Year Edition September 25th.
ps3-uncharted3-system-large.png

With over $70 in savings, the new PlayStation®3 250GB system and UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception™ Game of the Year Edition bundle, showcase the intensity and realism of the best console for gamers.
UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception™ Game of the Year Edition is Nathan Drake’s latest adventure that propels the fortune hunter on a trek into the heart of the Arabian Desert and includes over $45 of Bonus Content! DUST 514, a free to play game available exclusively on the PlayStation Network, thrusts you into the explosive ground conflict of the EVE universe.
Bundle Contents:
PlayStation®3 System 250GB
Uncharted 3: Game of the Year Edition
Dust 514 game + over $30 of Dust DLC (Voucher)
DUALSHOCK®3 wireless controller
AC Power Cord
AV Cable
USB Cable

From ral1121,
"In the US, the 250GB model will be out on September 25, and will include Uncharted 3 and a $30 "digital content" voucher for DUST 514 (a free-to-play game). It'll cost $270.
There'll also be a 500GB bundle including Assassin's Creed III that'll go on sale in the US on October 30. No price on that one yet."

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gettinmoney662']The confusion arises from all the complaining in this thread but not nearly as much as in the Xbox 360 thread which has more expensive bundles.

But it's easy to understand, it's Sony. Everything Sony does is wrong. I don't know when this happened, but Sony is now always wrong with whatever they do.[/QUOTE]

So what you're saying is that Sony is the Obama of the video game industry :lol:

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Saw an unboxing of the Super Slim. To me, I imagine a lot of those game lids/covers on the Super Slim will be broken.[/QUOTE]

Ya right because so many original Nintendo's are missing their doors.

[quote name='J7.']Ya right because so many original Nintendo's are missing their doors.[/QUOTE]

There are a lot of "OMG that looks so cheapz and will surely failz and breakz" or "WTF only 2 usbeeee portz? How can I charge my Nintendo DS now?" posts.

Shit has anyone even used one? Touched one? Seen one in person?

This thread is driving me crazy.

[quote name='J7.']Ya right because so many original Nintendo's are missing their doors.[/QUOTE]

I think you're in the wrong thread. This thread is for the SONY PS3(PlayStation 3) Super Slim which has a door that, to me, seems like it's going to stop sliding back and forth and looks cheaply made.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']I think you're in the wrong thread. This thread is for the SONY PS3(PlayStation 3) Super Slim which has a door that, to me, seems like it's going to stop sliding back and forth and looks cheaply made.[/QUOTE]

Looks stronger than any other door or hinge on a previous system, and I can't recall a single system to have any of their doors or hinges break. In 10 years when your Slim dies you will be running around trying to find a used Slimmest, just like people did with the PS2.

[quote name='bruceg']Yes, this is going to replace the older models. I'm hoping I can eventually get the current slim version at a good discount before they stop producing it and stores no longer carry it.

Besides the cost cutting measures, I'm not aware of any functionality being added or removed in this new model.[/QUOTE]

Damn. Just checked with Best Buy and Gamestop to see if theyd heard anything about the older models being discontinued and they hadn't yet, so im still gonna hope this isn't the case, but im starting to think it is. I REALLY hope they dont ditch the old model. This new model looks unbelivably cheap. I still regret not getting a backup PS2 fat when they switched over. I dont want to be in the same boat again with this

[quote name='plutoknight']Looks like I should pick up one of the current slims now as a "backup" in case my 80GB YLOD's again.

Though, if it YLOD's again, I'm screwed out of my content anyway, so maybe I should retire her....But he was built so well.....[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat as you. I have an older model with almost no HD space. It stopped reading disks so i bought a newer slim, but id really like to have a backup in case this slim dies on me.

Anyone have any guesses on when they may start dropping the older models on sale? Im not even sure what models would be the best to get. I think the only 320gb ones were the Uncharted 3 bundle, and the Modern warfare bundle, right? The Uncharted 3 bundle is actually the one i bought last year. Id actually prefer a cheap 320gb core model, but im pretty sure there aren't any of those out there anymore.

[quote name='CaoPi']wait so this new PS3 model has the open lid style like PS2?[/QUOTE]
[quote name='sadboy']More like an open mouth.
super-slim-ps3-pictures-gamescom-2012-0.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Ungh.. seriously, am i the only one thats amazed at how cheap and terrible that looks? Honestly this thing looks more like a cheap Chinese knock off PS3 than a real actual model Sony is dumping on people. Seriously.. wtf Sony? I cant belive some of you are actually defending that crap.

^_^x KD

[quote name='Kenshindono']Damn. Just checked with Best Buy and Gamestop to see if theyd heard anything about the older models being discontinued and they hadn't yet, so im still gonna hope this isn't the case, but im starting to think it is. I REALLY hope they dont ditch the old model. This new model looks unbelivably cheap. I still regret not getting a backup PS2 fat when they switched over. I dont want to be in the same boat again with this

I'm in the same boat as you. I have an older model with almost no HD space. It stopped reading disks so i bought a newer slim, but id really like to have a backup in case this slim dies on me.

Anyone have any guesses on when they may start dropping the older models on sale? Im not even sure what models would be the best to get. I think the only 320gb ones were the Uncharted 3 bundle, and the Modern warfare bundle, right? The Uncharted 3 bundle is actually the one i bought last year. Id actually prefer a cheap 320gb core model, but im pretty sure there aren't any of those out there anymore.

Ungh.. seriously, am i the only one thats amazed at how cheap and terrible that looks? Honestly this thing looks more like a cheap Chinese knock off PS3 than a real actual model Sony is dumping on people. Seriously.. wtf Sony? I cant belive some of you are actually defending that crap.

^_^x KD[/QUOTE]

So it would be better if they had a more expensive shiny looking console and went out of business? Obviously you don't realize the state of the company. They need to make cost cutting measures like this. You should be happy they're so that PS4 has a great chance of being all it can be. In regards to your question, there were other 320gb models like the Infamous 2 bundle and they sold the 320gb standalone.

[quote name='J7.']Looks stronger than any other door or hinge on a previous system, and I can't recall a single system to have any of their doors or hinges break. In 10 years when your Slim dies you will be running around trying to find a used Slimmest, just like people did with the PS2.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I like the ridges on it. And, I'd get it if I can get it like I did my 160gb slim...$300 at Target with $160 back in gift cards.

I agree with all you guys on the sliding, plastic lid being cheaply made. I just saw a Youtube IGN's unwrapping video of the new slim PS3, and half-way through the video when IGN was talking about the new sliding lid, it snapped open and startled both reviewers. And this is a brand new machine that the lid just snapped open from. That hinge/spring that's holding that lid is not going to hold up long at all. Can't wait to see in a few months after these new slimmer PS3 are released before people start crying foul all over the net. Can't wait to see the teardown people dissect this new PS3.

Saw this video. I don't mind the cheap sliding door. I'll probably have to put tape on it to hold down in about 10 years if I get this on release day.

$30 difference from my PS3's MSRP isn't going to get me to own 2 PS3s at the moment. For now, I'll keep my 160 gb slim and probably invest in a larger hard drive though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwOsZbZYZTE

[quote name='roundhouse']So what you're saying is that Sony is the Obama of the video game industry :lol:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Exactly.[/QUOTE]

:lol: too funnyz

Yup! That's the one.

[quote name='Investor']I agree with all you guys on the sliding, plastic lid being cheaply made. I just saw a Youtube IGN's unwrapping video of the new slim PS3, and half-way through the video when IGN was talking about the new sliding lid, it snapped open and startled both reviewers. And this is a brand new machine that the lid just snapped open from. That hinge/spring that's holding that lid is not going to hold up long at all. Can't wait to see in a few months after these new slimmer PS3 are released before people start crying foul all over the net. Can't wait to see the teardown people dissect this new PS3.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Saw this video. I don't mind the cheap sliding door. I'll probably have to put tape on it to hold down in about 10 years if I get this on release day.

$30 difference from my PS3's MSRP isn't going to get me to own 2 PS3s at the moment. For now, I'll keep my 160 gb slim and probably invest in a larger hard drive though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwOsZbZYZTE[/QUOTE]

I think this thing is ugly. I also hate that they changed how discs go in/out. That was always such a classy part of the PS3. Why take it away? I think now is the time to go buy the nice slim, while they are still out there.

Don't mind the re-design, not a fan of sliding door but wouldn't mind picking one up as a back up down the line, whenever GS decide to clearance them out just like the PS2 Slims.

ah i see sonys master plan....create a model they know everyone will hate thus increasing sales because everyone will go out and buy all their older models up

oh you genius people at sony you

[quote name='kayne2000']ah i see sonys master plan....create a model they know everyone will hate thus increasing sales because everyone will go out and buy all their older models up

oh you genius people at sony you[/QUOTE]

How did I know someone would say something like this?

Why am I not surprised it's kayne2000?

The only reason why I might get it is for 500 gb plus assassins creed 3 for only $299. That is a steal. To bad the top loader is really stupid and takes a way the classy part of a ps3!

They have already announced that the old slim will not be discontinued and will not drop in price. I'm not sure why its still being discussed.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']How did I know someone would say something like this?

Why am I not surprised it's kayne2000?[/QUOTE]

I jokingly, JOKINGLY, thought the same thing. This new slim is ugly in every possible way. Both previous models of the PS3 have been very classy. This looks cheap, and of a lower build quality. The only thing it has going for it is a massive amount of HD space.

[quote name='Slowdance']They have already announced that the old slim will not be discontinued and will not drop in price. I'm not sure why its still being discussed.[/QUOTE]

Partially correct. They are going to keep selling the old slim until stocks are exhausted and there will not be an official MSRP drop. Having said that, this new slim will be the only design available within a matter of months as no new versions of the old slim are going to be produced going forward. Here is the quote from the Engadget article -

"Koller says the new model is Sony's new standard, with previous models going the way of the Puerto Rican shrew (poor little guy is totally extinct)."

[quote name='gettinmoney662']How did I know someone would say something like this?

Why am I not surprised it's kayne2000?[/QUOTE]

have i been relegated to CAG conspiracy nut already??? lol

[quote name='kayne2000']have i been relegated to CAG conspiracy nut already??? lol[/QUOTE]

I was thinking something more along the lines of CAG Dumbass when I made my previous post.

[quote name='Slowdance']They have already announced that the old slim will not be discontinued and will not drop in price. I'm not sure why its still being discussed.[/QUOTE]

Who announced it and when? Everything I read suggests it is. They will sell out what they produced and that's it, they will only produce the new top loading ones.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I was thinking something more along the lines of CAG Dumbass when I made my previous post.[/QUOTE]

surely i cant be the only one on here like that

[quote name='Investor']I agree with all you guys on the sliding, plastic lid being cheaply made. I just saw a Youtube IGN's unwrapping video of the new slim PS3, and half-way through the video when IGN was talking about the new sliding lid, it snapped open and startled both reviewers. And this is a brand new machine that the lid just snapped open from. That hinge/spring that's holding that lid is not going to hold up long at all. Can't wait to see in a few months after these new slimmer PS3 are released before people start crying foul all over the net. Can't wait to see the teardown people dissect this new PS3.[/QUOTE]

He clearly accidentally pushed the front switch with his middle finger that releases the lid because he didn't know it had a button to do that. Guess you're not very good at visual processing. Now go back into your hole, troll.

I think the system looks pretty good, at least from the shots. Looks like a sports car or something. :p

The price baffles me, though. Guess it's selling well enough?

So whens the release date on both? Not seeing it anywhere.

Also, any reason why a GameStop employee would tell me the slimmer isn't coming out til Late november and that it's $350?

[quote name='computingwarren']So whens the release date on both? Not seeing it anywhere.

Also, any reason why a GameStop employee would tell me the slimmer isn't coming out til Late november and that it's $350?[/QUOTE]

Yes, probably many reasons, but the main one is that none of them know anything.

I would have been all over this if Sony would have included PS2 backwards compatibility. But, yeah that's never gonna happen.

[quote name='mindatlarge']I would have been all over this if Sony would have included PS2 backwards compatibility. But, yeah that's never gonna happen.[/QUOTE]

It did happen. Where were you?

It's like Sony is trying to tell me not to bother buying any PS3.

I thought the BF 2011 prices/packages was just a bit too high (price of games and all considered) and decided to wait until this year or later...wait, the BF 2012 deal is going to be pretty much the same and there's no telling if it will get better until long after the PS4 is out.

Once again Sony shoves the price of its product on the consumers and adds tons of spin. This is fucking something else - just looking at that "want is value" line makes me :applause: out of sheer stupidity.

BTW, thank you all for the good information replies. MrBubbles, I did not know that and that is very helpful.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']It did happen. Where were you?[/QUOTE]

"gonna" refers to the future while "did" refers to the past. I don't think he was arguing it never happened

I think to please all of those who don't get the value in the playstation 3 sony should release a model with 4GB flash memory (only upgradeable with expensive propetiary memory) no WiFi, no bluetooth, no blu-ray and price it at $150. They should also remove the rechargeable battery pack in the DS3 and make sure they run on AA's.

Then we'll see who has balls to complain

[quote name='GBAstar']I think to please all of those who don't get the value in the playstation 3 sony should release a model with 4GB flash memory (only upgradeable with expensive propetiary memory) no WiFi, no bluetooth, no blu-ray and price it at $150. They should also remove the rechargeable battery pack in the DS3 and make sure they run on AA's.

Then we'll see who has balls to complain[/QUOTE]

You misunderstand the complaints. What they want is a model with 500GB space, WiFi, Bluetooth, Blu-Ray, at least 4 USB slots, and full PS2 B/C for $150, all while keeping the same "classy" expensive parts from previous systems.

Granted, there would still be some complaints about something, but that would hit most of them. It would also drive Sony out of business, but who cares about small shit like that?

[quote name='rockykai']It's like Sony is trying to tell me not to bother buying any PS3.

I thought the BF 2011 prices/packages was just a bit too high (price of games and all considered) and decided to wait until this year or later...wait, the BF 2012 deal is going to be pretty much the same and there's no telling if it will get better until long after the PS4 is out.

Once again Sony shoves the price of its product on the consumers and adds tons of spin. This is fucking something else - just looking at that "want is value" line makes me :applause: out of sheer stupidity.

BTW, thank you all for the good information replies. MrBubbles, I did not know that and that is very helpful.[/QUOTE]
A PS3 + 2 games for $199 was too high for you? Oh boy

[quote name='Havok83']A PS3 + 2 games for $199 was too high for you? Oh boy[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was thinking, lol. If that's too much, you probably should look for a cheaper hobby altogether.

[quote name='Pojo']I think the system looks pretty good, at least from the shots. Looks like a sports car or something. :p

The price baffles me, though. Guess it's selling well enough?[/QUOTE]

The price should not baffle you in the slightest. Sony had a price drop a year ago and it didn't really help much. Sony is in serious financial trouble and the Vita isn't doing that well despite being a great system with some great games. It's no more simple than the fact that they cannot afford to lower the price of the Vita yet and they need PS3 to be profitable for the rest of the company and for PS4.

[quote name='computingwarren']So whens the release date on both? Not seeing it anywhere.

Also, any reason why a GameStop employee would tell me the slimmer isn't coming out til Late november and that it's $350?[/QUOTE]

250 gb bundle
- $269.99 Sept 25 that includes:
- Uncharted 3 GOTY Edition
- $30 of DLC for Dust 514
Older PS3 Slims will still be available for $249.99 possibly with games/giftcards until they sell out. Then when the 250gb bundle sells out, the new Slim will be sold standalone for $249.99.

500 gb bundle
$299.99 Oct 30
- includes Assassin's Creed III

Then probably better bundles on Black Friday. While a price drop would've been nice, they've found a great way to clear out the current Slim without having to lower it's price and pay retailers. Helping Sony to survive while also giving some great value with the bundles for core gamers.

[quote name='GBAstar'] They should also remove the rechargeable battery pack in the DS3 and make sure they run on AA's.
[/QUOTE]
If only they would do that. I already had to toss a sixaxis because it would no longer hold a charge. I love that I can use cheap Eneloop batteries in my 360 controllers and would love this option for the PS3. No more charging it with a short USB cord while trying to play a game. Just swap the AA's and keep on rolling.

I'm going to pick this bundle up on Tuesday, too impatient to wait for the AC3 bundle in October/black friday. I hope the build quality isn't as terrible as others are making it seem.

I hadnt been following this too close because the thing looks bad and is at a bad price imo but if that 500GB w/ Assassins Creed 3 is really $299.99 thats really not bad.

Any black friday/Amazon Warehouse type deals on these things will make them great buys.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Definitely not. Do not worry, you are not alone.[/QUOTE]

then why would you think i would be the dumbass to say that?

though i hope you realize my original comment was a joke

bread's done
Back