A new PS3 model with Uncharted 3 Game of the Year Edition September 25th

ckc4043

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
http://us.playstation.com/ps3/systems/uncharted3-gameofyear-bundle.html

A new PS3 model was just announced at TGS! Smaller and lighter, it'll be available as part of a bundle with Uncharted 3 Game of the Year Edition September 25th.
ps3-uncharted3-system-large.png

With over $70 in savings, the new PlayStation®3 250GB system and UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception™ Game of the Year Edition bundle, showcase the intensity and realism of the best console for gamers.
UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception™ Game of the Year Edition is Nathan Drake’s latest adventure that propels the fortune hunter on a trek into the heart of the Arabian Desert and includes over $45 of Bonus Content! DUST 514, a free to play game available exclusively on the PlayStation Network, thrusts you into the explosive ground conflict of the EVE universe.
Bundle Contents:
PlayStation®3 System 250GB
Uncharted 3: Game of the Year Edition
Dust 514 game + over $30 of Dust DLC (Voucher)
DUALSHOCK®3 wireless controller
AC Power Cord
AV Cable
USB Cable

From ral1121,
"In the US, the 250GB model will be out on September 25, and will include Uncharted 3 and a $30 "digital content" voucher for DUST 514 (a free-to-play game). It'll cost $270.
There'll also be a 500GB bundle including Assassin's Creed III that'll go on sale in the US on October 30. No price on that one yet."

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Fukurou']I'm passing on this thing. I'll take the current one instead and hopefully there will be a nice price drop for the 320 GB slim on Black Friday. I'm thinking $150-200.[/QUOTE]

This. I have 2 slims but will need a 3rd since ps4 won't be bc

[quote name='Desousa93']It's a piece of plastic, there are no moving parts, it won't break unless you sit on it.[/QUOTE]
Its a spring loaded slider. With my luck the first thing that happens is the little plastic clip breaks and I have to tape it shut anytime I want to play something.

My 60GB is still kicking, but its nice to know that when it YLODs some day this is the junk I will have to replace it with.

I bet it won't read the disc if the door's open as a piracy measure (Remember SwapMagic anyone?), so when that cheap ass door breaks your gonna be SOL. I agree, snap up the previous slim instead. Just curious, does anyone know yet if they changed the chip spec, like going down in the nm process for the chips again or anything? Remember that the slim runs cooler cause they changed the chip spec (a couple times actually), I was just wondering if they did something similiar here as well.
From Wiki:
"It was rumored that the Cell processors in the third-generation PS3s (40 GB, 2008 80 GB and 160 GB) would move from a 90 nm process to the newer 65 nm process,[79] which SCEI CEO Kaz Hirai later confirmed,[80] and later to 45 nm. This change lowers the power consumption of the console and makes it less expensive to produce.[81]"

Size looks nice...but that thing looks extremely cheaply made. Hope my Slim doesn't crap out on me anytime soon!

[quote name='Fukurou']I'm passing on this thing. I'll take the current one instead and hopefully there will be a nice price drop for the 320 GB slim on Black Friday. I'm thinking $150-200.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that is very unlikely to happen. Whatever they produced and is out there now in retail stores or warehouses, that's it. This is the new model. They aren't gonna be producing 2 models with 4 different hard drive sizes. They never have. When a new model is in, the old model is phased out. So you might see some clearance deals, but by Black Friday my guess is the models we have now will be all gone. I'm gonna wait to see what the reviews are of this one, as far as the performance goes. If they are good, I'm in for a AC3 bundle. If not, then I'm gonna get the 3000 model before they are all done for.

And Jesus folks, all these people already whining about the Disc loader slider? Really? Maybe wait until you actually see one of these? Not in a video with two British folks, one of whom calls the USB port an Ethernet port( dude knows his stuff!!!), but rather with your own eyes and slide it yourself. For all you know, that could be on there super tight and it might take considerably effort to break.

And like someone said, it's a piece of plastic. Unless you open it like an idiot or you have a stupid child, it won't break. And if it does, it's on you for being a moron or bad parent, respectively.

[quote name='ral1121']"in the us, the 250gb model will be out on september 25, and will include uncharted 3 and a $30 "digital content" voucher for dust 514 (a free-to-play game). It'll cost $270.
There'll also be a 500gb bundle including assassin's creed iii that'll go on sale in the us on october 30. No price on that one yet."

via kotaku[/quote]

$300!

Looks way better than the current slim in all angles. The cardboard inspired top ain't that bad, might be a lbp reference on their part who knows. I'm actually thinking of trading my ps3 slim for this. I like that you load the disc similar to a ps2 slim or an old cd player (always preferred those over a slot/tray loading lol), being smaller helps too since i game most of the time on a monitor set up on a pc table.

I don't think people are concerned with the disc loader's quality as much as the price being charged.

1) We are nearing the end of this console's life cycle (console prices generally go DOWN then)
2) The prices for the hardware in consoles are constantly dropping (costs generally go DOWN)
3) They are using cheaper parts all over this thing, including that disc loader (costs DOWN)
4) Nintendo is coming out with a new console to compete with (costs DOWN to remain competitive)

Yet despite all that Sony added it up and decided to not actually discount the thing at all, even kicking the price UP in some cases compared to their current model. It just makes no sense...

[quote name='JP73']Yeah, that is very unlikely to happen. Whatever they produced and is out there now in retail stores or warehouses, that's it. This is the new model. They aren't gonna be producing 2 models with 4 different hard drive sizes. They never have. When a new model is in, the old model is phased out. So you might see some clearance deals, but by Black Friday my guess is the models we have now will be all gone. I'm gonna wait to see what the reviews are of this one, as far as the performance goes. If they are good, I'm in for a AC3 bundle. If not, then I'm gonna get the 3000 model before they are all done for.[/QUOTE]
It's not a new model. I'm talking about this.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+Co...ndle/5403717.p?id=1218642238219&skuId=5403717

[quote name='croqoa']I don't think people are concerned with the disc loader's quality as much as the price being charged.

1) We are nearing the end of this console's life cycle (console prices generally go DOWN then)
2) The prices for the hardware in consoles are constantly dropping (costs generally go DOWN)
3) They are using cheaper parts all over this thing, including that disc loader (costs DOWN)
4) Nintendo is coming out with a new console to compete with (costs DOWN to remain competitive)

Yet despite all that Sony added it up and decided to not actually discount the thing at all, even kicking the price UP in some cases compared to their current model. It just makes no sense...[/QUOTE]

What makes no sense is comparing it to a stand alone 160GB model. To give a very simple yet accurate analogy, it would be like buying a plain hamburger for $1.00 at McDonald's and then the next day buying a Big Mac for $1.25 and saying "Wow, they really jacked up the prices, huh?"

You're comparing two totally different things. This bundle costs $20 more, but features a game that will retail for 40 or 50( based on what most GOTY Editions start at) 90GBs more in storage, and a whole lot of DLC for both Uncharted and the other PSN game. Also, 30 days of PSN which I don't think the stand alone ps3 has. All of that for 20 bucks more. You can't reasonable compare it to just a 160GB with nothing else as if they are the same exact thing.

[quote name='croqoa']I don't think people are concerned with the disc loader's quality as much as the price being charged.

Yet despite all that Sony added it up and decided to not actually discount the thing at all, even kicking the price UP in some cases compared to their current model. It just makes no sense...[/QUOTE]
Look on the bright side, those of us that own PS3s also don't have to worry about our older PS3s dropping in value. :D

[quote name='SEGAMew']Cheap looking, and I can't plug 4 wired controllers at once into it.[/QUOTE]
But it'll come with a Virtue's Last Reward bracelet, which will negate all of that.
Just kidding.

[quote name='JP73']What makes no sense is comparing it to a stand alone 160GB model. To give a very simple yet accurate analogy, it would be like buying a plain hamburger for $1.00 at McDonald's and then the next day buying a Big Mac for $1.25 and saying "Wow, they really jacked up the prices, huh?"

You're comparing two totally different things. This bundle costs $20 more, but features a game that will retail for 40 or 50( based on what most GOTY Editions start at) 90GBs more in storage, and a whole lot of DLC for both Uncharted and the other PSN game. Also, 30 days of PSN which I don't think the stand alone ps3 has. All of that for 20 bucks more. You can't reasonable compare it to just a 160GB with nothing else as if they are the same exact thing.[/QUOTE]

This person gets it!

[quote name='SEGAMew']Cheap looking, and I can't plug 4 wired controllers at once into it.[/QUOTE]

This person STILL does not get it... and me thinks plays too many retro games (seriously when was the last time anyone had a desire to use four wired controllers)

People complaining about the slide loader will be picking up used Slimmest when their Slim slot loader dies 10 years from now. I expect some nice bundles come Black Friday and a price drop either then or sometime next year. I think Sony's in a lot worse trouble than people realize.

Meh. I'll pass. My current slim is just fine- the new one looks cheaper (and it is cheaper), it's potentially louder, and I'm not a fan of the rough, corrugated top. I have mixed feelings about the top loading of discs... Honestly not much of an improvement, unless you need your PS3 to be a tad bit smaller.

To the people who think the old models will all disappear- I really doubt it. I was still seeing new phat PS3 models being sold at several stores about a year ago- haven't seen any since though.

You could maybe wait to see how much it'll cost when they sell it on its own?

Totally a valid complaint when all official PS3 controllers are wireless.

If Sony gave this a custom paint job, added another control and replaced UC3 with say the upcoming God of War game and charged $400 like Microsoft is doing with the Halo 4 console bundle would that make it NOT overpriced?

You can't have it both ways... you are getting more then $20 worth of extras from the standalone original slim currently being offered for sale.

What the hell.. I just googled this after seeing this thread. Ive been busy and out of the loop the past few weeks so I didn't hear about a new model.

Is this really a friggin top loader model? Like they did with the last run of PS2's? I HATED those things. They were so horrible. I really dont want to buy one of these things if it loads that way. I dont get why they cant just stick with the regular loading mechanism they had before instead of this cheap piece of garbage loader

In fact the whole thing looks like a very cheap piece of junk. Im very concerned. I cant read through all 6 pages right now so let me just ask a couple questions:
1) Is this going to replace the old models? If it is, i better buy a back up of the current models right now. I REALLY dont want to own this weak looking thing. This is the most important question

2)What is actually changing/being removed? Like i said this thing looks extremely cheap. Not just the terrible top loading mechanism.

*sigh* what the hell happened to Sony? The PS2 was probably my favorite console, but they totally droped the ball with the PS3. Now they're making it even lamer

^_^x KD

Yes, this is going to replace the older models. I'm hoping I can eventually get the current slim version at a good discount before they stop producing it and stores no longer carry it.

Besides the cost cutting measures, I'm not aware of any functionality being removed in this new model.

If this new model would save a good bit on the electric bill (that it produces when it is running of course), then that is a nice bonus to balance out the price. I would still have to worry about the price of it being plugged in and off as things stand now but that's not as important.

Still, it's looks like its cheaply made and I'm not sure how much money this would save over a slim 160GB model (which is all the space I would need). All I want is a slim 160GB for like $140 or so (game trade-ins and electric bill and discount on games being relative to that) because I still only see myself getting it for 6 games or so.

Sony is making this process feel like work.

[quote name='Kenshindono']What the hell.. I just googled this after seeing this thread. Ive been busy and out of the loop the past few weeks so I didn't hear about a new model.

Is this really a friggin top loader model? Like they did with the last run of PS2's? I HATED those things. They were so horrible. I really dont want to buy one of these things if it loads that way. I dont get why they cant just stick with the regular loading mechanism they had before instead of this cheap piece of garbage loader

In fact the whole thing looks like a very cheap piece of junk. Im very concerned. I cant read through all 6 pages right now so let me just ask a couple questions:
1) Is this going to replace the old models? If it is, i better buy a back up of the current models right now. I REALLY dont want to own this weak looking thing. This is the most important question

2)What is actually changing/being removed? Like i said this thing looks extremely cheap. Not just the terrible top loading mechanism.

*sigh* what the hell happened to Sony? The PS2 was probably my favorite console, but they totally droped the ball with the PS3. Now they're making it even lamer

^_^x KD[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is going to replace the older models. I'm hoping I can eventually get the current slim version at a good discount before they stop producing it and stores no longer carry it.

Besides the cost cutting measures, I'm not aware of any functionality being added or removed in this new model.

If you're buying a Slim, there's 3 generations of those.

First gen with Cell 45nm and RSX 65nm.
Second gen with Cell 45nm and RSX 45nm.
Third gen with the same as above but also removed LEDs and overall lower power consumption.

[quote name='MrBubbles']If you're buying a Slim, there's 3 generations of those.

Third gen with the same as above but also removed LEDs and overall lower power consumption.[/QUOTE]

Tempted to get the third revision because of the lower power consumption (hopefully runs cooler), but I do like LEDs...

Third version was CECH300X, correct?

Looks like I should pick up one of the current slims now as a "backup" in case my 80GB YLOD's again.

Though, if it YLOD's again, I'm screwed out of my content anyway, so maybe I should retire her....But he was built so well.....

[quote name='MrBubbles']If you're buying a Slim, there's 3 generations of those.

Third gen with the same as above but also removed LEDs and overall lower power consumption.[/QUOTE]

What LEDs did they remove?

The price went up because it includes more storage space. People are acting as if they are the same exact thing.

I picked up a 3rd gen off of a crazy Gamestop trade months ago....its kinda loud actually but runs very very cool

[quote name='JP73']really? I thought it released in Europe only. I'm talking about America, where things matter! I haven't seen it at best Buy or Amazon or anywhere[/QUOTE]

U3 GotY is at GameStop.

[quote name='gldoorii']The price went up because it includes more storage space. People are acting as if they are the same exact thing.[/QUOTE]
and a game + tons of DLC. Theres alot of value added with those 20 bucks

[quote name='gldoorii']The price went up because it includes more storage space. People are acting as if they are the same exact thing.[/QUOTE]

We all know the storage size went up; it's still odd to be effectively raising the price this late in the device's life.

As someone who can't wait for the non-bundled $249 version of the slimmer, I'm trying to decide between waiting to buy the new one next week vs. paying an extra $30 to buy one of the 320 GB bundles (probably Madden). My BC 60 GB ps3 died last week & I have games to finish before the new fall games hit.

One advantage of the slimmer, it won't swallow the disc when it dies like my ps3 did (power light flashes red at startup and shuts off right away).

My main concern is when this Super Slim PS3 is standing vertically how secure the game disc will be. Up to now the PS3 some how "sucked" the game disc; which is one reason we never suffered disc scratches like the Xbox360 owners. Yes I know blue ray discs are coated with a very tough protective layer. That's not what I'm focusing on =) This new layout looks like the game disc is merely pressed onto a spindle.

My secondary concern is the durability of new "sliding door" mechanism. It might be just fine. Hell, I have a 15 year old IBM PC tower that has a similar sliding door & it still works. But what happens if the door starts to catch on the body of the console? That won't look pretty in short order.

All of the GS stores in my area (ATX) are sold out of the new 160GB PS3 Slim already. MW3 bundles are also gone. I am surprised because they didn't even have a sale and all the current new PS3 Slims are gone. The only option is to purchase online.

[quote name='CaoPi']wait so this new PS3 model has the open lid style like PS2?[/QUOTE]
More like an open mouth.
super-slim-ps3-pictures-gamescom-2012-0.jpg

[quote name='plutoknight']Looks like I should pick up one of the current slims now as a "backup" in case my 80GB YLOD's again.

Though, if it YLOD's again, I'm screwed out of my content anyway, so maybe I should retire her....But he was built so well.....[/QUOTE]

You could always just get a PS+ subscription and use the cloud save to make sure you don't lose your game files and whatnot if you do get YLOD. The cloud limit has been upped to 1 GB.

I don't understand how there is so much complaining in this thread but MS continually releases $300-400 bundles with nothing more than Kinect or some other garbage that no one wants. Plus 360 is just a vastly inferior machine to the PS3.

[quote name='roundhouse']I don't understand how there is so much complaining in this thread but MS continually releases $300-400 bundles with nothing more than Kinect or some other garbage that no one wants. Plus 360 is just a vastly inferior machine to the PS3.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand your confusion. We're not talking about Microsoft Xbox360's, we're talking about Sony PS3 systems. Apples and Oranges.

[quote name='ZCG']I don't understand your confusion. We're not talking about Microsoft Xbox360's, we're talking about Sony PS3 systems. Apples and Oranges.[/QUOTE]

The confusion arises from all the complaining in this thread but not nearly as much as in the Xbox 360 thread which has more expensive bundles.

But it's easy to understand, it's Sony. Everything Sony does is wrong. I don't know when this happened, but Sony is now always wrong with whatever they do.

bread's done
Back