A new PS3 model with Uncharted 3 Game of the Year Edition September 25th

ckc4043

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
http://us.playstation.com/ps3/systems/uncharted3-gameofyear-bundle.html

A new PS3 model was just announced at TGS! Smaller and lighter, it'll be available as part of a bundle with Uncharted 3 Game of the Year Edition September 25th.
ps3-uncharted3-system-large.png

With over $70 in savings, the new PlayStation®3 250GB system and UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception™ Game of the Year Edition bundle, showcase the intensity and realism of the best console for gamers.
UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception™ Game of the Year Edition is Nathan Drake’s latest adventure that propels the fortune hunter on a trek into the heart of the Arabian Desert and includes over $45 of Bonus Content! DUST 514, a free to play game available exclusively on the PlayStation Network, thrusts you into the explosive ground conflict of the EVE universe.
Bundle Contents:
PlayStation®3 System 250GB
Uncharted 3: Game of the Year Edition
Dust 514 game + over $30 of Dust DLC (Voucher)
DUALSHOCK®3 wireless controller
AC Power Cord
AV Cable
USB Cable

From ral1121,
"In the US, the 250GB model will be out on September 25, and will include Uncharted 3 and a $30 "digital content" voucher for DUST 514 (a free-to-play game). It'll cost $270.
There'll also be a 500GB bundle including Assassin's Creed III that'll go on sale in the US on October 30. No price on that one yet."

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GBAstar']Why do you need more then two USB ports? This isn't the 360 where it is common to see people using wired controllers or headsets.

Is there some sort of hack that requires the use of four usb ports? I can't for the life of me think of any reason I would need to use two concurrently let alone four.[/QUOTE]

This guy on Joystiq said: "How can we charge all those controllers (DualShock, Navigation Controller, and Move) with only 2 USB ports? And one of those ports is likely taken up by the PS Eye camera."

Because obviously the only way to charge all these peripherals is at the exact same time.

[quote name='SEGAMew']To charge 2+ cell phones, controllers, blue tooth, headset, and DSLite.[/QUOTE]

Really? Get a fuckin surge protector.

These responses are making me stupider. This person just said she wants more USB ports on her PS3 so she can charge multiple cell phones and a DS Lite. I can't comprehend this.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']

These responses are making me stupider. This person just said she wants more USB ports on her PS3 so she can charge multiple cell phones and a DS Lite. I can't comprehend this.[/QUOTE]

The only way the guy mooching off my PS3 can charge the headset/blue tooth/controller/cell is when the PS3 is on. He doesn't own a PS3 of his own or a laptop or his own room.

Obviously this is YMMV per person on what needs to be charged, but he himself does require all those items on a daily basis. For my sanity and everyone's convenience, the PS3 should have more than 2 USB ports, especially when your competitors do.

Price, combined with it being a top loader, kill it for me. I'll just stick with my slim.

Besides, imagine PS4/Orbis is around the corner, anyhow.

Since USB ports keep coming in this topic I am going to chime in. The PS3 has 2, 360 had 3, 360S has 5 which is more than most computers do these days. So yeah the PS3 is lacking in that area. But let's actually look at hardware facts beyond something that can be "fixed" for $5.

I am not trying to start a freakin console war again. I own 360, Wii, PS3, and many other systems so this is just about facts.

360S is $300 MSRP and for that you get a DVD drive, built-in wireless, 250GB (semi-expandable to 320GB), $35-$40 a year for Gold (be honest who here on CAG pays the $60 price). ad riddled menu system, better online (I fail to see this, but it is always brought up)

PS3 is $250 and you get blu-ray, free online, expandable HDD to whatever you want to buy, minor ads, rechargable controller, usb and bluetooth headset/keyboard/mouse support, built in wireless.

Both systems positives and negatives, but is 2 USB ports REALLY a breaking point???? Buy a damn powered USB hub and don't rely on your PS3 to charge anything that way you can charge whatever you want without turning on your PS3, problem solved all for $5-10.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']
These responses are making me stupider. [/QUOTE]

Probably more so then you think.

360 is a deal breaker for me as it has zero exclusive games I would want (and various biased reasons). The PS3 was tolerable for me due to Sonic Generations (I don't own a PS1 or PS2). I actually almost sold my PS3 due to lack of games I wanted, then Sonic Generations got announced like a week later. Then strangely enough, more games that appeal to my interests were released afterwards (or I discovered).

But yeah as I stated earlier, I nitpick on Sony a lot due to past history involving me and Sony/Sony consoles.

Also, you would get annoyed after a while when a guy asks you if I'm going on my laptop every night.

[quote name='SEGAMew']The only way the guy mooching off my PS3 can charge the headset/blue tooth/controller/cell is when the PS3 is on. He doesn't own a PS3 of his own or a laptop or his own room.

Obviously this is YMMV per person on what needs to be charged, but he himself does require all those items on a daily basis. For my sanity and everyone's convenience, the PS3 should have more than 2 USB ports, especially when your competitors do.[/QUOTE]

Hahahahahahaha you are being so ridiculous, are you seriously trying to tell me that you do NOT know or understand how people WITHOUT a PS3 charge their cell phones, bluetooth, and portable gaming systems?

The ONLY way is to own a PS3, Laptop or... Room??? hahahaha!!!

We have this AWESOME invention called an... OUTLET!!!

You see, you can actually plug the charger that came with the device in question, whether it be a phone, DSLite, bluetooth, etc... DIRECTLY into the OUTLET!! OMGoblins!!!!!!! Did I totally just blow your mind? Cause dude, I swear, it's true!

This isn't YMMV, it's being difficult and attention seeking. I have a SLIM (omg yes, with only 2 usb slots!) I only use 1 the majority of the time. I have a usb charging station for my controllers- that takes up 1 slot and can charge 2 controllers. I also have the move charging station- 1 slot charges up to 4 controllers. Most of the time I don't need to use either one, rarely do I ever need to use both at the same time. That leaves one usb slot for the PS Eye if I need it, but I don't use that very often.

What do I do with my phone? Well, I've never actually needed to charge my phone while gaming... but I would just plug it into the wall outlet.. same with my kindle.. same with my psp... same with my bluetooth.. my ipod touch goes into the stereo or the wall or my computer..

C'mon man- you know you being redonkulous.

I thought this new slim model was going to come out with a 16 flash memory at $200. Now it looks like only europe will get it and it will cost 229 euros witch is basically $300. I just don't get it. Plus with it being a top loader and having flash memory I think that the risk of hardware failure would drop dramatically.

I never NEEDED this, but I bought the "Power A Media Expansion Bar" for PS3 Slim from Toys R Us for $10.

It plugs into 1 USB slot.. then adds 3 (so 4 total)
Adds a CompactFlash card reader
Adds a SD Card reader
Adds a Memory Stick PRO Duo card reader.

all for $10. Does the xbox 360 have all that? no. Does the PS3 + the OPTIONAL add on bar cost as much as the 360? NO.

I don't even use it, but if you are going to CRY about it, then buy one! you can also buy 4-6-8 slot usb hubs that work in the same way for even MORE USB SLOTS! Probably not a great idea to be charging so much stuff off your PS3 though, I don't think the PSU was meant to be used as such, but it's probably fine.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Since USB ports keep coming in this topic I am going to chime in. The PS3 has 2, 360 had 3, 360S has 5 which is more than most computers do these days. So yeah the PS3 is lacking in that area. But let's actually look at hardware facts beyond something that can be "fixed" for $5.

I am not trying to start a freakin console war again. I own 360, Wii, PS3, and many other systems so this is just about facts.

360S is $300 MSRP and for that you get a DVD drive, built-in wireless, 250GB (semi-expandable to 320GB), $35-$40 a year for Gold (be honest who here on CAG pays the $60 price). ad riddled menu system, better online (I fail to see this, but it is always brought up)

PS3 is $250 and you get blu-ray, free online, expandable HDD to whatever you want to buy, minor ads, rechargable controller, usb and bluetooth headset/keyboard/mouse support, built in wireless.

Both systems positives and negatives, but is 2 USB ports REALLY a breaking point???? Buy a damn powered USB hub and don't rely on your PS3 to charge anything that way you can charge whatever you want without turning on your PS3, problem solved all for $5-10.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

And take the base model Wii U, $300, with it's *gasp* 8 GB drive. Assume you never owned a Wii. Right away you're gonna need the Wii MotionPlus controller (+ nunchuk?). What's that about $40 each? Two, if you want to play with a friend. The hardcore player controller is $60 each. And good luck to you if you ever need a second Wii U Gamepad ($179). Just to get the minimum full solo experience with the Wii U is going to cost you $400 (8 GB console + MotionPlus + Core). And that's before you buy any games.

The USB slot complaints are a bit silly. Anybody that worried about it shouldn't buy either of the slim PS3s I guess. Get a refurbished classic PS3 (BBPS3 = Big Boned PS3 lol) or check Craigslist or maybe Ebay or something. The suggestion to buy a stand alone USB hub is the best solution though. Big Lots sells them cheap. Or check any of several online stores that sell them for $10 or so shipped.

Removing Linux was a necessary security measure. 99% of the reason to have Linux on a PS3 was to hack it and play free games. Let's not bs. Piracy hurts gaming. Even if removing Linux doesn't stop piracy (and it doesn't), they have to be proactive. Want Linux so badly? Download Ubuntu free on your computer.

The backward compatibility complaint - yeah, I hear ya, it'd definitely make things more convenient, but it'd also make those PS2 to PS3 HD ports a tougher sell. If you're that serious about playing PS2 games, awesome, but why the heck wouldn't you still have...oh i don't know...your PS2? I still have my slim PS2. Don't get why anybody would bother selling their PS2. Not like anybody is going to pay you anything for it. I see them regularly enough being sold for $20-30 on craigslist.

I have a practical enough reasons to get this new model. I've got a little cousin wanting a PS3, so I'll probably sell it to him fairly cheap. I'll be traveling overseas soon, and I take my 360 and PS3 with me when I go overseas. The smaller, the better, because these are my carry on items. With how they throw your baggage around, there's no way I'm risking my consoles. It's a pain taking them out to go through security, but worth it to me.

All this talk about USB ports is just madness lol. I've never thought to myself "I really wish my ps3/xbox had a few more USB ports." If you can't figure a way to charge all your assorted devices then you have problems beyond what a ps3 is going to be able to fix.

As to the new ps3 model itself...well I don't get that either. It just seems weird. Its a third design model with a game bundled for really no substantial savings. Any customer that was on the fence about buying a playstation likely would have done so with the other 'slim' model. This late in the game people are really only going to pick up a ps3 if it is cheap enough that they figure "eh, what the hell." I'm assuming this new design is solely to reduce Sony's manufacturing costs, disguised as a marketing ploy.

Intersting how a little joke complaint I made a few hours ago spirals downhill =P

Some of your are looking into the whole USB thing a tad too seriously. The whole USB thing is more of a convenience gripe, I don't want to dish out a gabillion extra cords, and hook them up to my outlet and hoping they all fit in there to charge each item when I can hook them up to the PS3. The cursed console cost me $150 and it didn't even earn its worth until way after I gotten Sonic Generations, might as well also use it as a power source.

I will admit that I had no idea how lacking 360 specs-wise is prior to the thread (because I don't give a shit about XBox). I just assumed 360 is only just a RRoDing machine that can't play Blu-Rays but still has much of the other media-related features of a PS3.

I still stand by the fact that if you plan to improve on a system, don't freaking remove features (not just talking about backwards compatibility), this goes for any company.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait until you realize how few USB "spots" the human body comes with. You can be mad at God and Sony in equal parts.

I don't understand why people complain about having two USB ports. I probably use two at the most. I have my charge cable plugged in along with my dongle for my wireless headphones. I used to keep my EA Sports Active dongle in there as well, but I don't play it anymore. I know have a charging dock that was $10, and it changed both of my controllers. I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of ports. It's just silly to.

well 2 is dissapointing. One of the reasons I never wanted to depart with my 60gb was bc it would mean losing 2 ports. Its puzzling why the Slims still only come with 2. How much space/money does 2 or even 1 more add?
I tend to have my PS Eye, BT headset and a combination of my dualshock 3 and Move controls plugged in and if I have a free slot a USB stick for my video content

[quote name='BetaDemo']Overpriced. Holiday shopping moms will take one look at this and once they realize that it is not a Playstation 4 they'll buy little Timmy the Wii U because it's NEW and being sold at the same price point. Broke Moms will buy the $99 xboxes.
[/QUOTE]

Holiday shopping moms will take one look at this and once they realize that it is not a Playstation 4 and it's for real gamers only they'll buy little Timmy the Wii U because it's NEW and it's for children for the same price point. Broke Moms will buy the $99 xboxes for their hubby.

fixed

@RoMee

Thanks for the corrections but the general point made in my post is still valid. And, BTW, real gamers already own a PS3...most likely the SUPERIOR fat model and have no need for this version.

[quote name='pwnthee']:applause:

Removing Linux was a necessary security measure. 99% of the reason to have Linux on a PS3 was to hack it and play free games. Let's not bs. Piracy hurts gaming. Even if removing Linux doesn't stop piracy (and it doesn't), they have to be proactive. Want Linux so badly? Download Ubuntu free on your computer.

[/QUOTE]

A little school session for you on the real reason Linux was removed.

Other OS was removed because people were using it to breach into the PSN store. This cause security risks (and especially right before the big PSN fiasco.) and had to be removed.

Thru various means, however, Linux has been restored to PS3, but not legit. As far as I know, having Linux on the machine has no real benefit to piracy.

[quote name='kayne2000']why should we have to buy a USB hub when all the other consoles except the wii come with 3 or more and older ps3 models came with 4.

use your head its removing crap for no reason at all.[/QUOTE]

Cause USB hubs are in $5-$10 range. If you are complaining about a five dollar purchase you should look for a cheaper hobby.

not sure what the point of sony making a new slim, when they already have a slim model other than just making it slimmer

i mean are they bringing anything new to the table here with this other than hey its redesigned?

The new anorexic slim looks fantastic.
I just don't get why the price is set the way it is ?

Oh well, i guess it is expensive to stay slim

:beer:

[quote name='henry00x']not sure what the point of sony making a new slim, when they already have a slim model other than just making it slimmer

i mean are they bringing anything new to the table here with this other than hey its redesigned?[/QUOTE]

Looks newer and Sony thinks it will trick some people into thinking its PS4 to compete with the new Wii-U.

[quote name='henry00x']not sure what the point of sony making a new slim, when they already have a slim model other than just making it slimmer

i mean are they bringing anything new to the table here with this other than hey its redesigned?[/QUOTE]

Smaller, lighter, less mechanically complicated (top loader) all adds up to it's simplr cheaper to make/ship to stores. Not an upgrade for the consumer other than aesthetics, but a boost to the bottom line for Sony is my guess.

Oh, and I use this with my PS3 though mine is piano black. Was about 4 bucks at Walmart (clearance).

us006_hubman_action.jpg

[quote name='JP73']Also, will UC3:GOTY be available separately? Withe release set for 5 days away, you would think there would be pre-order options available. Or will this just be an exclusive with the bundle[/QUOTE]

UC 3 GotY just came out yesterday.

[quote name='MSUHitman']UC 3 GotY just came out yesterday.[/QUOTE]

I'm a little pissed at sony for releasing LBP (Vita) and UC3 GOTY ahead of schedule as I had them preordered and they shipped before I really knew if I wanted them. I typically review all my preorders on Monday the week before (8 days prior) to them releasing and those ones caught me off guard

[quote name='MSUHitman']UC 3 GotY just came out yesterday.[/QUOTE]

really? I thought it released in Europe only. I'm talking about America, where things matter! I haven't seen it at best Buy or Amazon or anywhere

[quote name='xenozfan2']I thought this new slim model was going to come out with a 16 flash memory at $200. Now it looks like only europe will get it and it will cost 229 euros witch is basically $300. I just don't get it. Plus with it being a top loader and having flash memory I think that the risk of hardware failure would drop dramatically.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've seen European commenters pissed off. This model will cost as much as the 160GB model! This is a price hike! Sony can't be that stupid... can they? They must have some aggresive holiday pricing in mind. Last BF they had the 160GB for $200 + 2 games and most retailers were giving a $50 gift card. I'd say hang tight until then. I agree with some of the posters, they should have had a $200 MSRP for one SKU. And I'm thinking it should be a 160GB model at least not a 16GB one. The unit is cheaper to make! And no slick front loading disc drive!

[quote name='JP73']Also, will UC3:GOTY be available separately? Withe release set for 5 days away, you would think there would be pre-order options available. Or will this just be an exclusive with the bundle[/QUOTE]

The PS BLog said the title would be available separately for $39.99. It might take a day or two for the pre-order syndrome to occur.

Thanks to whoever linked to that IGN unboxing video. Man, that lid sliding across and then having to be manually moved back into the lock position so it "clicks" into place looks like it'll break sooner rather than later. As with the Sony 3D monitors I'd advise anyone thinking about purchasing one of these to also consider adding in an extended warranty.

That thing looks incredibly cheap. If my fat ever yellow lights, I'll be digging through ebay and craigslist for the previous model.

[quote name='perfectsil']why top loading?[/QUOTE]

Cost. They probably shaved a few dollars in component cost by moving to a manual loading mechanism for the disc rather than the previous motorized feed in both earlier models.

I watched a video of that top door and its some weird spring loaded thing. Looks like it will be the first thing that breaks on that console.

bread's done
Back