A question for all the CAG collectors..

Moonlk

CAGiversary!
I'm not very sure if I'm the only one..but I've wondered about this for a few days.

I consider myself a collector of games. Not an uncommon thing here, right? But when it comes to keeping games sealed that might be more valuable later..or opening them up and playing them..what do you do? Do you go the emulation route...or do you just open them anyways?

This is something I've had on my mind for a while..and I thought why not ask someone!

I assume you are talking about old games? I have a few sealed NES games, rather than breaking the seal, I will buy a copy that has already been opened for around £3. If it's a rare game that you can't find for cheap and your only option for playing it is to open the packet, then go down the emulation route. If the game is so rare that you can't find an opened copy cheap, then it's not worth opening a sealed copy.

Edit: If it's a new game then don't buy it if you don't want to play it, I don't see current or last generation games gaining value simply for being factory sealed happening for many many years.

I collect sealed games/consoles/accessories from the NES up to the N64, but only because I like new old stuff (as opposed to those that buy and hope they go up in value so they can flip them).

I only buy games I want, though. I'm not a "collector" in the sense that I have to have a sealed version of every NES game, etc.

I get 2 copies, 1 sealed for collection and 1 to play. You will notice that sealed copies go for about 10 times than a used copy.

I Collect games with no intention of trading or selling in the future unless I got an extra copy somehow. So majority are opened, minus the good portion I bought new and still haven't got time to play through. Though if or whenever possible I like to keep as many of my games complete.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to sell stuff so I keep everything but I open all my games and play. Although I do have a copy of halo 2 metal box that isn't open. I bought 2 and planned to sell 1 then decided not to.

I have a copy of panzer dragoon saga that I like owning. I would never sell it but I like to check the current ebay pricing once a year or so just to see.

Everything is purchased with intent to play. In the event that a game goes unopened (not very common), if when I start wanting to play, I discover that the sealed copy sells for a significant amount compared to a like-new complete used copy, I would not be adverse to selling the sealed, buying a used, and pocketing the difference. I never get any game with that as the intention, however.

bread's done
Back