A Up/Monsters Inc Blu-Ray buying guide

This thread will be useful to you if you plan on purchasing Up and Monsters Inc together on Blu-Ray.

PRICES

Amazon
Up - $19.99
Monsters Inc - $22.99

Best Buy
Up - $23.99 (ad) / $19.99 (website)
Monsters Inc - $18.99 if purchased with Up (reg. $28.99)

Target
Up - $26.99 (includes free exclusive journal)
Monsters Inc - $26.99

COUPONS

General
$8 off Monsters Inc (printable/B&M use only). You need an account at Disney Movie Rewards (free signup). Once logged in to your account, click "My Account" at the top of the page and then type 786936164886 where it says "Enter Code." This is a manufacturer's coupon and you should be able to use it at any B&M store.

$10 off Up (printable/B&M use only).

Amazon
$10 off when you purchase Up and Monsters Inc together. Discount is automatically applied when both items are added to your cart.

Target
$10 off when you purchase Up and Monsters Inc together (printable/B&M use only). Click this link and go to page 3 - it'll be the third coupon there.

DEALS (ranked in terms of lowest price before sales tax)

#1 - Target
-Pricematch the Best Buy ad price for both Up and Monsters Inc
-($23.99 + $18.99 = $42.98)
-Apply the Target coupon and the Monsters Inc/Up coupons
-($42.98 - $10 - $8 -$10)
Total = $14.98

#2 - Best Buy
-Pricematch the bestbuy.com price for Up, pay the BB special price for Monsters Inc
-($19.99 + $18.99 = $38.95)
-Apply the Monsters Inc/Up coupons
-($38.98 - $8 -$10)
-Total = $20.98

#3 - Target
-Pay the regular Target price for both Up and Monsters Inc
-($26.99 + $26.99 = $53.98)
-Apply the Target coupon and the Monsters Inc/Up coupons
-($53.98 - $10 - $8 -$10)
Total = $25.98

#4 - Amazon
-Pay the regular Amazon price for both Up and Monsters Inc
-($19.99 + $22.99 = $42.98)
-The Amazon coupon will automatically be applied
-($42.98 - $10)
Total = $32.98

NOTES

-Any deal that includes price-matching is obviously YMMV. Depending on what store you go to they might be prickly about a deal that involves both coupons AND pricematching. I know that the Target I shop at will allow me to do deal #1, but other people will have various success. IT'S UP TO YOU to decide whether it's worth venturing out to your local Target/Best Buy to see if you can successfully get deals 1-2, or whether you don't mind spending extra money for the convenience of Amazon.

-If you do deal #1, you will need a physical copy of the weekly ad from Best Buy showing that store's prices in order to pricematch. These ads can probably be found in your Sunday newspaper.

-I did not include any Amazon deals that involve the "Snow White Thanks" promo as that is exclusive to a select few people.

-I did not include any deals at Wal-Mart as their B&M prices for Up and Monsters Inc are still unknown.

-I did not include any deals from Toys R Us because, well, they don't have any good deals. This thread is about the best out of pocket prices.

-I did not include any deals with a $10 Disney manufacturer's coupon for Up because it is still unknown whether that coupon actually exists.

-YES, TARGET DOES PRICEMATCH

ADDITIONAL REBATES

-$4 MIR for purchasing Up + qualifying Ronzoni products.

-$5 MIR for purchasing Up + qualifying Kernel products.

-$5 MIR for purchasing Up + qualifying Birds Eye products.

-$10 OFF at Amazon when you purchase Up and a second qualifying Blu-Ray.

If you know of any more, please post them here so I can add them.

If you see any errors or have anything else to add, please feel free to let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still holding out, hoping that Disney releases a $10 off coupon for UP.

... otherwise, I'll probably do the Amazon deal and add a 3rd Disney Blu-ray from their list and use the DISNEYBD coupon for $10 off the 3rd movie.

you shouldnt leave out Toys r us...according to the big book they do give a $10 gift card with $40 Disney movie purchase...also it was posted in the TRU thread that you should get a $5 gift card with Monsters inc and free plush for Up.

possibly could be

24.99 up (listed as price)
24.99 monsters inc (actual price not known yet)
-8 monsters coupon
-5 gift card
-10 gift card
-free plush

after everything it could be $27 + tax

[quote name='Jedi1979']you shouldnt leave out Toys r us...according to the big book they do give a $10 gift card with $40 Disney movie purchase...also it was posted in the TRU thread that you should get a $5 gift card with Monsters inc and free plush for Up.

possibly could be

-8 monsters coupon
-5 gift card
-10 gift card
-free plush

after everything it could be $27 + tax[/QUOTE]

Not interested in this as the main concern is total out of pocket for both movies. Since you can't use those gift cards toward the purchase of Up and Monsters Inc, it won't interest most people. If you want to do it though, godspeed and more power to you.

[quote name='flix1']
... otherwise, I'll probably do the Amazon deal and add a 3rd Disney Blu-ray from their list and use the DISNEYBD coupon for $10 off the 3rd movie.[/QUOTE]

This. This is the best deal. Also, you are not figuring in tax + gas of buying it at B&M... seriously, Amazon is the best deal, hands down.

You may not be able to PM Best Buy prices at Target because the items have to be the exact same thing and with Target offering the journal bundled on the movie I see that being a problem. And they might not let you use the $10 off coupon if you price match.

I'm not sure if you had BB PM another location that they would honor the deal w/ the Monsters Inc. discount. YMMV and Manager's attitude...

Well, shoot. I may go to TRU then. Remember that whole promo for preordering up and getting 5.00 off? That works into the equation and would make the movies 22 plus tax.

[quote name='doctorthodt']Not interested in this as the main concern is total out of pocket for both movies. Since you can't use those gift cards toward the purchase of Up and Monsters Inc, it won't interest most people. If you want to do it though, godspeed and more power to you.[/QUOTE]

I was just pointing it out...but i will be seeing if they have any instore deals when you buy both (which they have done plenty of times in the past) and to see what the actual price of monsters inc ends up being...

[quote name='Jedi1979']I was just pointing it out...but i will be seeing if they have any instore deals when you buy both (which they have done plenty of times in the past) and to see what the actual price of monsters inc ends up being...[/QUOTE]

Excellent, please report back if you find anything!

To those saying YMMV - well of course these deals will be YMMV. I took note of that in the op already. However, I have had great success pricematching + using coupons at Target in the past, and I know that I personally will get the best deal at Target. If it can work for me, it will work for other people. Will it work for everyone? Of course not, but the fun of this forum is seeking out the best deal possible :)

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Well, shoot. I may go to TRU then. Remember that whole promo for preordering up and getting 5.00 off? That works into the equation and would make the movies 22 plus tax.[/QUOTE]
Very tempting too ... I had pre-ordered UP at TRU when I purchased Snow White, which cost exactly the same as if I had not pre-ordered UP ($5 pre-order and $5 off any Disney BD), but it gave me the opportunity to have $5 off at TRU on UP if I would buy it there.

The Best Buy website price for Up has dropped to $19.99, or $4 lower than the price in the Best Buy weekly ad. I have edited the op accordingly, but all this really did was raise the price of deal #3 by 3 cents (since you could already PM Wal-Mart's price of $19.96). However, this might make it easier for some people to get the deal now, as you'd be pricematching Best Buy itself, not a separate company.

Can I get my $5.00 back from pre-ordering "Up" at TRU? I pre-ordered it when I picked up "Snow White" to save the extra $5.00 but I ended up getting "Up" from Amazon.com in the end.

p.s.
OP dont forget that there is a $4.00 rebate on "up" if you do the www.pastaandamovie.com deal.

Nice! I didn't know about the "DISNEYBD" code. I just used it to buy Up, Monsters, and Cars for around $34. (I had an additional $10 credit from Amazon for trading in $50 worth of DVDs)

Walmart has Monster Inc. on the website for $21.32 so the deals are changing again. That beats amazon by a buck and easier to PM with Target and BB.

The best deal on this is to use the disneybd code on amazon and add a 3rd movie. Brings the average price down to $14 per BR. Mine was higher as I threw in the pirates trilogy as my 3rd.

[quote name='Jedi1979']you shouldnt leave out Toys r us...according to the big book they do give a $10 gift card with $40 Disney movie purchase...also it was posted in the TRU thread that you should get a $5 gift card with Monsters inc and free plush for Up.

possibly could be

-8 monsters coupon
-5 gift card
-10 gift card
-free plush

after everything it could be $27 + tax[/QUOTE]

and...some may have preodered Up! when they gave $5 off Snow White with a $5 Up preorder! ... it netted 0 so I thought why not? ... it pays off! $22/tx....

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just going to do the BB deal with $8 coupon but I think I'll try option #2 and PM Wal-Mart's 19.96 at Target, pay full price for Monsters Inc. and then use Target $10 coupon and mfr $8 coupon. Bout $6 less than the regular BB deal (IF my Target does all that, they're pretty picky)

[quote name='8bitlover']Walmart has Monster Inc. on the website for $21.32 so the deals are changing again. That beats amazon by a buck and easier to PM with Target and BB.[/QUOTE]

Sweet. I wouldn't mind saving another $1 when amazon drops its price to match.

yes very nice.

since the prices got posted the other day for best buy i figured best buy would do what they do everytime and take 5 off of each which made the pricing better that what everyone was posting. i just looked at the ad and found out they are idiots. 28.99 regular price for the monsters inc blu? come on. [/end vent]

The price online for WM isn't the same as the price in-store. Plus, it's not always possible for WM to PM their website pricing.

When Transformers 2 came out, WM.com had it for $18.86 at one point, though was $19.99 in-store. WM wouldn't PM their website pricing.

The only good thing about WM.com's price dropping is that Amazon should react appropriately and drop their own price to match.

Also, BB matching their own website is not always a given, and they are notoroius for having a cheaper price for an item online before it release and then having the price of the item go up after it released.

BB may also not do a PM to WM if you're getting the bundle pricing.

A number of these pricing scenarios make some assumptions about YMMV situations working, with PM's and existing promotion pricing all working.

[quote name='8bitlover']Walmart has Monster Inc. on the website for $21.32 so the deals are changing again. That beats amazon by a buck and easier to PM with Target and BB.[/QUOTE]

This doesn't affect anything. You can't PM walmart.com at Target. You can probably do it at Best Buy, but what's the point? You're already getting Monsters Inc. for $18.99 there.

[quote name='doctorthodt']Updated to reflect that Up is not, in fact, advertised in this coming week's Wal-Mart ad.[/QUOTE]

Ah I think I found the confusion. UP is going to be 19.96 NEXT week (11/15-11/21). So if you're fine waiting you can PM UP at Target and pay full price for Monsters Inc then using both coupons still get it for $28...but I don't think I can wait a week lol sad I know.

Looks like it's back to Best Buy!

It's pretty cheaper for me to get it from Amazon that any other place. I might try out the second hand part because i am pretty much strapped out of cash.

well said shrike! I was thinking the same thing about all these scenarios...still going thru BB for me. gonna try to get them to PM BB.com if the pricing is different (no reason why they shouldn't b/c there isn't any evidence of you trying to manipulate something) and I'm sure the bundle would work online as well, so you could just use that to your advantage (but then I don't think a $7.50 pre-order factors into an online puchase..)

This deal is regional only but Fry's will have Up for $19.95 and Monsters Inc for $23.77, then give you $10 off if you buy both.

$19.95 + $23.77 = $43.72 - $10 = $33.72

Most people report that Fry's does not accept coupons, however. But if you somehow get them to accept the Monsters Inc coupon, your total will be $25.72

[quote name='token2k6']well said shrike! I was thinking the same thing about all these scenarios...still going thru BB for me. gonna try to get them to PM BB.com if the pricing is different (no reason why they shouldn't b/c there isn't any evidence of you trying to manipulate something) and I'm sure the bundle would work online as well, so you could just use that to your advantage (but then I don't think a $7.50 pre-order factors into an online puchase..)[/QUOTE]I'm going to stick to my Amazon order, since I think the price will drop one last time to match the new WM price of $21.31, which will probably be $21.49 on Amazon. Should make the final cost from Amazon $19.99 + $21.49 - $10 = $31.48.

Once I get it and the timeframe for the BB pre-order on Up return is valid, then I'll cancel my pre-order with BB.

[quote name='shrike4242']

Once I get it and the timeframe for the BB pre-order on Up return is valid, then I'll cancel my pre-order with BB.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure you can return the BB pre-order whenever you want

i'm not getting this monsters inc coupon to print (the disney movie rewards coupon).. is anyone else having trouble?

thanks a bunch op!

I sent Amazon an email asking them to a) drop the price of Up in my order to 19.99 to reflect the current pricing; and b) accept the $8 manufacturer's coupon for Monsters Inc. To my delight, they gave me a courtesy credit of $8.... but on Up, and from the $22.99 price... so now I have Up in my order for $14.99, for a grand total for the two of $26.83 shipped. Not complaining!

I found the problem. Apparently you can't print the coupons with google chrome, had to use internet explorer instead! :p

thanks op! will be picking up monsters inc with this nifty coupon :)

[quote name='Pookymeister']Pretty sure you can return the BB pre-order whenever you want[/QUOTE]

Sure can. Canceled mine last week.

[quote name='gkrykewy']I sent Amazon an email asking them to a) drop the price of Up in my order to 19.99 to reflect the current pricing; and b) accept the $8 manufacturer's coupon for Monsters Inc. To my delight, they gave me a courtesy credit of $8.... but on Up, and from the $22.99 price... so now I have Up in my order for $14.99, for a grand total for the two of $26.83 shipped. Not complaining![/QUOTE]

Wait, they actually credited you? what did you say to them?

[quote name='shrike4242']Once I get it and the timeframe for the BB pre-order on Up return is valid, then I'll cancel my pre-order with BB.[/QUOTE]

wait, wait, but keep the SteelBook? ;) ;)

[quote name='gkrykewy']I sent Amazon an email asking them to a) drop the price of Up in my order to 19.99 to reflect the current pricing; and b) accept the $8 manufacturer's coupon for Monsters Inc. To my delight, they gave me a courtesy credit of $8.... but on Up, and from the $22.99 price... so now I have Up in my order for $14.99, for a grand total for the two of $26.83 shipped. Not complaining![/QUOTE]

I sent them an email asking them to apply the $8 manufacturer's coupon also but got a reply they're not participating in that promotion. It could be because I had a 3rd Disney BD in the order getting $10 off using the DISNEYBD promotion. Oh well. $42 for 3 movies, although not as good a deal as what you got is still decent.

[quote name='doctorthodt']This doesn't affect anything. You can't PM walmart.com at Target. You can probably do it at Best Buy, but what's the point? You're already getting Monsters Inc. for $18.99 there.[/QUOTE]

The point is that the price at BB is 28.99 not 18.99. If you PM the 21.96 then the system will still take off the $10 for buying both. That would make the Monster Inc. price $11.96 instead of $18.99, There computer does not care if there is a price match, it will just look that both titles have been bought together. I PM a Boy and His Blob with Fry's and when they scanned the coupon the screen came up with the GC offer. With the $8 off Disney coupon it makes this a better deal than before at BB.

[quote name='8bitlover']The point is that the price at BB is 28.99 not 18.99. If you PM the 21.96 then the system will still take off the $10 for buying both. That would make the Monster Inc. price $11.96 instead of $18.99, There computer does not care if there is a price match, it will just look that both titles have been bought together.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's how the deal works in their computer. It won't take $10 off Monsters Inc no matter what the price of Monsters Inc is. It will price Monsters Inc at $18.99 automatically when rung up with Up.

Getting that coupon off the Disney website was a total pin, but saving $6.00 after tax and getting the Adventure Journal should be worth the effort.

Disneyrewards.com is also offering a free* plush doll when you enter the Disney Code from Up. I'm not sure which one Toys'R Us is offering but this one is a colorful bird looking character and is about 7in tall. You can also order another larger one for a few dollars more.

*$3 s&h, or around $10 for both.

bread's done
Back