A WildWop Message RE: New Years Resolutions to Get In Shape

WildWop

CAGiversary!
Get out of my gym, dammit.

Yes, I'm talking to you. You paragon of health and fitness. You lazy, good for nothing New Years Resolution gym-goer. Get out of my gym.

You all know who you are. Don't deny it. You spend 9 months of the year getting fat, eating your bon-bons, chocolate, and cake, then all of a sudden... WHOA IT'S NEW YEARS! I HAVE TO GET IN SHAPE! Get out of my gym.

There's nothing wrong with being lazy. I'm lazy most of the time too, just not in the gym. Stay lazy. Stay home. You don't take up space that I want to occupy that way. You don't occupy the cardio machines for 20 minute shifts of brisk walking that is doing next to nothing to alleviate that ample gut, ass, or treetrunk thighs. There wouldn't be enough of you to fill up all those treadmills, stairclimbers, and elliptical running machines if you just stayed home. Keep eating. Get out of my gym.

You only go to the gym on Mondays and Tuesdays anyway. I know this, you know this. Your resolve isn't very... resolute. No strength of will. You don't really want to work out at all. Society tells you that you should. "Make a resolution to get in shape," says Society. You agree with Society, but we both know it's on a limited trial basis. Thirty day money-back guarantee. Ninety day warrantee on all parts. Fat ass now, same fat ass later. Give it up. Stay home. Watch reality TV. Get out of my gym.

If you really wanted to lose weight and get in shape, you'd work out year-round, right? Perhaps eat healthy too. But you don't. Your Societal Guilt Complex only lasts for a month or two after New Years. Then you stop caring. It takes too much effort. Eating ho-ho's and going to McDonald's is so much easier. You like efficiency in your laziness. The gym isn't efficient for you, it isn't quick. It's too hard. You get so tired. So stay home. Sit on the couch. Drink a beer. Or two. Or twelve. Get out of my gym.

I'm not fat, you say. Perhaps you're not. Perhaps you're perfectly svelt. Blessed with a fast metabolism. Ok, so why are you in my gym? I'm getting in shape, you say. Interesting. Most people try to get in shape by working out hard. Level 2 on a seated bike for 20 minutes is not hard. Go for a walk. Outside. Much better. Fresh air is good for you, anyway. Just stop clogging up my gym. And put away your damn cell phone. You're obviously not straining if you can talk on your cell phone while working out. Prioritize. Your life outside the gym is more important. Wheeling-and-dealing. Socializing. Working out is not high on your list. Hop in your car. Go home. Rub one off to a picture of your professional hero, Lee Iaccoca. Get out of my gym.

March is but two months away. Your guilt will wane. Don't devate from your normal life. Stay home. Be content. That is who you are. Just get the hell out of my gym.

Insecure much? Why do you care?

If you literally own your own gym, why would you turn down money?

If you're just going to the gym, why do you care?

I actually understand. Its like the guys who come into my comic shop for JUST #1's and incentives...they bug the hell out of me. They dont even read the damn things. In comparison, for CAG, its that annoying lady hoarding all the CC $5 games to go on Ebay

[quote name='Scorch']Insecure much? Why do you care?

If you're just going to the gym, why do you care?[/quote]

that deserves a big INDEED

[quote name='Scorch']Insecure much? Why do you care?

How does this equate to insecurity? I just want those lazy fockers off of the machines so I can accomplish more when I go to the gym. I spend two hours at the gym four times a week -- I don't need that extended to 2.5 because Johnny (or Janie) Fatass wants to try their luck at working out.

And by "my gym" I mean the "gym that I go to."

[quote name='Wshakspear']
I actually understand. Its like the guys who come into my comic shop for JUST #1's and incentives...they bug the hell out of me. They dont even read the damn things. In comparison, for CAG, its that annoying lady hoarding all the CC $5 games to go on Ebay[/quote]

That's precisely what I'm getting at.

[quote name='dutch72']It's hard for me to dog someone whos at least tryin to better themselves[/quote]

I'm not talking about people that are seriously trying to better themselves. I see overweight people in my gym all the time, struggling to improve themselves. I'm not in any way disparaging their hard work, regardless of the results they post.

I'm talking about all the winners that "resolve" to go to the gym and get in shape, then don't follow through. That is weak bs. If a girl that is easily 100lbs overweight can come on a regular schedule throughout the year (not accomplishing much, but improving slowly the whole time -- there are a handful of these in my gym, some with a personal trainer, some by themselves) then these Resolution people can damn well lose that 10lb beer paunch, or at least stick to a regimen.

My trainer had a client a few years back that was 150-200lbs overweight. While not a paragon of good dieting habits, the guy worked his ass off for three years, and is now in great shape. THAT is a resolution. Coming into a gym twice a week, slowly tapering off as the month changes from January to March is pathetic. THAT is certainly not a resolution.

[quote name='WildWop'][quote name='Scorch']Insecure much? Why do you care?

How does this equate to insecurity? I just want those lazy fockers off of the machines so I can accomplish more when I go to the gym.

And by "my gym" I mean the "gym that I go to."[/quote]

That's part of the reason I quit going to a gym to work out. The one at my college is always crowded this time of year, it's just not worth it since you can't get a good workout in. The other reason being various weight-lifting related minor injuries, mainly in my shoulder and back; but those are gone now as I stopped lifting quite some time ago.

Instead I tend to use a push-up/pull-up bar to do the majority of my exercises now. Back home we have a chuck norris machine, and that seems to work pretty good too. Although I must admit I do need to regain at least some of the 15-20lbs I lost while I was sick for the majority of October, November and December.

well somebody's cranky didn't get their juice this morning...Most people have lives outside working out and if even slightly overweight people work out twice a week for like 45 mins it can improve their health a good bit. What the hell does it matter to you anyways? You think you're better than them just cuz you have the time to go the gym 8-10 hours a week?

It's not like it matters anyways as those types of people will come around no matter what you think, so get off the high horse and either join one of those gyms that are frequented by wanna-be body builders all the time or buy you own equipment. Or maybe use free weights instead of machines...I mean they techniquely do a better job anyways for most things if you do the exercises properly and allow for better range of motion and the like.

I understand Wildwops point of view. Its been noted that gym memberships go up early in January and gyms are full for the first two months of the year. Afterwards, people usually get lazy and stop going to the gym.

During this 2 month period of the year, the gyms are overcrowded with people who have New Years Resolutions.

So I'm not gonna crap on Wildwops thread. I can understand his frustration.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']well somebody's cranky didn't get their juice this morning...Most people have lives outside working out and if even slightly overweight people work out twice a week for like 45 mins it can improve their health a good bit. What the hell does it matter to you anyways? You think you're better than them just cuz you have the time to go the gym 8-10 hours a week?

It's not like it matters anyways as those types of people will come around no matter what you think, so get off the high horse and either join one of those gyms that are frequented by wanna-be body builders all the time or buy you own equipment. Or maybe use free weights instead of machines...I mean they techniquely do a better job anyways for most things if you do the exercises properly and allow for better range of motion and the like.[/quote]

Superior to them? In terms of my dedication to working out, sure. I'm not trying to say that I am a better person then they are, or even beginning to assail their virtues as a human being, but the point is I am inconvenienced by their presence every January and February -- and it is annoying. If for two months a year people came in to your place of work and made it so that getting the same amount of work done took 15-25% more time (you get home about an hour or so later than normal), would you not complain about it? Especially if their presence there does little to improve their own situation?

-------

Actually a combination of free weights and machines (somewhere around a 50/50 split) is ideal. Free weights incorporate a lot of the smaller support muscles for stabilization, whereas machines allow you to focus on a smaller amount of muscles in a particular range of motion. Any workout program worth a damn has to incorporate both types. Bowflex be damned.

[quote name='WildWop']
Superior to them? In terms of my dedication to working out, sure. I'm not trying to say that I am a better person then they are, or even beginning to assail their virtues as a human being, but the point is I am inconvenienced by their presence every January and February -- and it is annoying. If for two months a year people came in to your place of work and made it so that getting the same amount of work done took 15-25% more time (you get home about an hour or so later than normal), would you not complain about it? Especially if their presence there does little to improve their own situation?
[/quote]

I work in retail so that does happen, they call themselves holiday shoppers. Aslo, if they are truly overwieght, 20-30 mins of brisk walking on a cardio machine will improve their situation (granted they can't stop after 2 months, but you shouldn't down the efforts). I usually jog for about 30 mins on certain days, but there being about 16 inches of snow all over the ground I typically go to the gym and use a treadmill or indoor track now. It may seem tedious for me to use that one machine for 30 mins to do one exercise, but it's what I do. Lots of places get crowded at certain times during the year, and though I may not always like it I endure all the same, and honestly I don't feel as if this is the same, at least not entirely.

To be honest here seemed to be a lot of anger in that post and what I got out of it wasn't "people don't do enough for themselves, they should do more", I heard " I don't like fat people because I can't get to work out on a machine right away", but maybe it's just me. I could be way off base here, but your view seems to come from a perspective of not knowing what it's like to be overweight. You think working out for 2 hours is tough, well if somebody is really overweight 20 mins of brisk walking is just about as tough. It's not some easy thing to in there and attempt to lose weight. The laziest thing would be to not even attempt it at all. You should give them credit for taking the first step and showing up. I doubt you sit there and snicker or roll your eyes while waiting on the machine, you're probably better than that, but some people aren't and it totally undermines their self-confidence of people. That only adds to the pressures and uncomfortable of working out in a place that is normally populated by fit people. Lots of them automatcially assume that they are being looked down upon even if it's not openly expressed. I hope I never see you as a trainer or anything else, because even if lazy, overwieght people show up for 20 mins, twice a week they should be encouraged not discouraged, perhaps then it would last longer than two months for some of them. It's not easy or routine for these people to show up at the gym. You equate working out to a job apparently, so what's the difference between this ans starting a new job? Some people find certain work to be too hard or difficult for them so they don't do it, that may make them a quitter, but at least they tried it when there's a section of people that didn't at all.

Hey, Wildwop, how's it going? I played you online in RS2BA, when the CAG East and West Clans were active...

I also go to a public gym and am equally frustrated. Sometime I think people go to meet and 'be seen' rather than work-out. I see the following all too often:

Girls(and some guys) on their cell phones chatting away, while someone wants to use a machine.

Guys eating Kripsy Kremes while on the bikes.

People working out in non-fitness appearal, like jeans.

At least one older woman, who hooks up with guys, and later bickers at the gym. (The same woman had a public arguement with three different men. Her body language says they did the nasty)

Yes, it's like a soap opera at my local 24 Hour Fitness, BUT I am happy to see some people actually working out. I'd rather deal with the cases listed above if that means there's just one less obsese American. This country is full of fat, lazy people.

So if just one of these annoying people get serious, I'm happy. It's one less lazy lardass.

Perhaps I should qualify my position a bit more. When I wrote this originally (last year) I had just come off of the hard part of my diet/exercise regimen. Over the course of the previous five months I not only dropped from 235 (5'10") and an ~35bfp to 170 and an ~8bfp. I know what it is to work hard and to accomplish the goal of getting in shape. I completely restructured my diet, dropping things that had previously encompassed the majority (like 80%) of my diet -- things like pizza and pasta -- in favor of a very difficult and spartan diet of chicken & brown rice, salads, and steaks/burger patties (no bun). I continue that diet to this day, as I have forcibly incorporated it as a way of life instead of a "diet."

In short, I know how hard it is.

The fact of the matter is that these people give up too quickly. I don't go around discouraging these people from going to the gym (my rant aside, which is really intended as sarcastic instead of malicious) -- they do it themselves. Since my drastic weight loss, I've helped a friend of mine drop 30 or so pounds, my dad drop 50 pounds, and I'm starting to help an ex gf with her diet and exercise regimen now. Those results didn't come easily -- my friend for instance used to eat a pound of bacon per week, entire pizzas in a sitting, etc -- but they toughed it out over long periods of time.

I respect them for it.

I do not respect people that quit after two months of "trying." People that think exercise is all you need to lose weight. People that expect too much from too little, then convince themselves that it isn't worth it. Ask for help, don't quit. Frankly, if someone would be convinced by what I wrote above and not go to the gym, they wouldn't likely hack it anyway.

[quote name='jalu6']Hey Wop, I think all those 'roids are making you a little edgy. Relax. Have a calzone.[/quote]

:beer:

mmm.. calzones...

[quote name='rallen']Hey, Wildwop, how's it going? I played you online in RS2BA, when the CAG East and West Clans were active...
[/quote]

Yup, though you disappeared rather abruptly... Too many paintball video games to choose from?

[quote name='rallen']

Girls(and some guys) on their cell phones chatting away, while someone wants to use a machine.

Guys eating Kripsy Kremes while on the bikes.

People working out in non-fitness appearal, like jeans.

At least one older woman, who hooks up with guys, and later bickers at the gym. (The same woman had a public arguement with three different men. Her body language says they did the nasty)
[/quote]

Perhaps this is a consistency across all gyms? I have all of the above (the cell phone and Krispy Kreme people ahould actually take my rant above seriously, because it would save them from wasting money on gym fees. I went to a Sports Club of LA when I visited my sister last week, and they had a No Cell Phones rule. Wonderful!

There's an older woman like that at my gym too -- thinks she's God's Gift and hits on everyone -- but she's married! What a ho. For all the time she spends in the gym, she looks (comparatively) shitty. Guess that's why she whores herself around so much.

[quote name='rallen']So if just one of these annoying people get serious, I'm happy. It's one less lazy lardass.[/quote]

How very Darwin of you. Good point, though I wish that there'd be less to begin with, since you'd probably still get that one or two new serious gym goers if you culled the majority of the unmotivated masses.

[quote name='snotknocker']I think the fatties are better off in your gym than they are in my Mcdonalds line[/quote]

I'd agree with you if they weren't just returning to your line in March anyway. It'd be great if all of them could find the resolve to keep away from McDs and in the gym, but that's just not going to happen.

It's funny how a few years ago we had all these groups telling people it was okay to be fat and that you should be happy with it. Now that insurance rates are skyrocketing and a third of america is morbidly obese you've gotta wonder about telling people it's okay to be fat when it shaves 20 years off their life and reduces the quality of life they have. It's like saying you should feel happy about being an alchoholic or heroin addict.

[quote name='Sheik Rattle Enroll'] It's like saying you should feel happy about being an alchoholic or heroin addict.[/quote]

That's an interesting point, since food is a legitimate addition for some people. Overweight people should be applauded for going to weight loss camps the same way an alcoholic is usually supported when they decide to go to AA or detox. Insurance companies definitely need to support overweight people in terms of providing discounts on weight loss camps, exercise equipment/gym fees, counseling, etc. They do some of that now, but it's not enough.

What it comes down to is the strength of will of the individual to make the conscious choice every day to eat right and exercise. Some people need an external force (a friend, a trainer, a counselor) to get over the hump and get something done. Unfortunately people often feel too ashamed to ask for help, and thus won't get it -- spiraling down to a position where they are worse off for trying and failing then if they didn't try in the first place. It's probably easier to ask for help if you have a drinking problem then it is to admit an eating problem.

[/quote]

Yup, though you disappeared rather abruptly... Too many paintball video games to choose from?

[quote name='"rallen"']

The videogame equivilant of the March exodus; I gave up too soon. Nah, actually I started working more.

There's an older woman like that at my gym too -- thinks she's God's Gift and hits on everyone -- but she's married! What a ho. For all the time she spends in the gym, she looks (comparatively) shitty. Guess that's why she whores herself around so much.

The Gym Ho. Speaking of Darwin, we identified a new species; Gymnasius Sluturus

[quote name='rallen']So if just one of these annoying people get serious, I'm happy. It's one less lazy lardass.[/quote]

How very Darwin of you. Good point, though I wish that there'd be less to begin with, since you'd probably still get that one or two new serious gym goers if you culled the majority of the unmotivated masses.

Hey if you're ever going out to LA again, PM me. There's always a open spot on our CQB/Paintball team, especially for small, quick-moving, targets ;P

And thus it begins. Some +/- from Resolution Day +2:

+ Many more females in the gym
- For most, there's a good reason they are there

+ Additional warm-up time walking from the far side of the parking lot adjacent to the gym parking lot
- It was raining

My report:

Three Korean girls (Not 'ID'-able from the Korean Club Girls Thread) chatting near the tricep machine. I asked If they were using the machine. They replyed, "uh-huh"; and looked puzzled. I moved on to The butterfly machine. They stayed until asked to dispurse by club personnel.

One girl wih a thick sweatshirt and sweats, obviously out of shape, needed help down the stairs.

One skinny guy, spotted drinking a 'Super Big-Gulp'; looked like it was full of Pepsi.

While on the bicycles, a girl is front of me forgot her undergarments. I changed bikes to get a better view. +++++++++++++++++++ Upon closer inspection, she was missing a bra, but had thong underwear on.

[quote name='WildWop']Get out of my gym, dammit.

Yes, I'm talking to you. You paragon of health and fitness. You lazy, good for nothing New Years Resolution gym-goer. Get out of my gym.

You all know who you are. Don't deny it. You spend 9 months of the year getting fat, eating your bon-bons, chocolate, and cake, then all of a sudden... WHOA IT'S NEW YEARS! I HAVE TO GET IN SHAPE! Get out of my gym.

There's nothing wrong with being lazy. I'm lazy most of the time too, just not in the gym. Stay lazy. Stay home. You don't take up space that I want to occupy that way. You don't occupy the cardio machines for 20 minute shifts of brisk walking that is doing next to nothing to alleviate that ample gut, ass, or treetrunk thighs. There wouldn't be enough of you to fill up all those treadmills, stairclimbers, and elliptical running machines if you just stayed home. Keep eating. Get out of my gym.

You only go to the gym on Mondays and Tuesdays anyway. I know this, you know this. Your resolve isn't very... resolute. No strength of will. You don't really want to work out at all. Society tells you that you should. "Make a resolution to get in shape," says Society. You agree with Society, but we both know it's on a limited trial basis. Thirty day money-back guarantee. Ninety day warrantee on all parts. Fat ass now, same fat ass later. Give it up. Stay home. Watch reality TV. Get out of my gym.

If you really wanted to lose weight and get in shape, you'd work out year-round, right? Perhaps eat healthy too. But you don't. Your Societal Guilt Complex only lasts for a month or two after New Years. Then you stop caring. It takes too much effort. Eating ho-ho's and going to McDonald's is so much easier. You like efficiency in your laziness. The gym isn't efficient for you, it isn't quick. It's too hard. You get so tired. So stay home. Sit on the couch. Drink a beer. Or two. Or twelve. Get out of my gym.

I'm not fat, you say. Perhaps you're not. Perhaps you're perfectly svelt. Blessed with a fast metabolism. Ok, so why are you in my gym? I'm getting in shape, you say. Interesting. Most people try to get in shape by working out hard. Level 2 on a seated bike for 20 minutes is not hard. Go for a walk. Outside. Much better. Fresh air is good for you, anyway. Just stop clogging up my gym. And put away your damn cell phone. You're obviously not straining if you can talk on your cell phone while working out. Prioritize. Your life outside the gym is more important. Wheeling-and-dealing. Socializing. Working out is not high on your list. Hop in your car. Go home. Rub one off to a picture of your professional hero, Lee Iaccoca. Get out of my gym.

March is but two months away. Your guilt will wane. Don't devate from your normal life. Stay home. Be content. That is who you are. Just get the hell out of my gym.[/quote]

Lol, I used to feel this way every fucking year around new years, good to see I'm not the only one that hates all those New Years resolution fucks.

I'd recomend you do what I did, if at all possible. Find a gym that has late hours and go around 11-12 at night. The place is virtually empty even at this time of year.

EDIT: Another thing I'd do to beat the bullshit crowds, was when I was in college and it was much easier to use the free college gym is I'd take 2 weeks to a month off right after New Years. After about a month all those idiots lose their will and quit comming anyways, plus it gives my muscles a chance to heal a little bit.

bread's done
Back