AC:Brotherhood & GT5 have SDTV mode?

The SDTV defense force is ridiculous. He's playing AC:B and GT5. He's obviously not worried about responsiveness or tight controls.

[quote name='jkanownik']The SDTV defense force is ridiculous. He's playing AC:B and GT5. He's obviously not worried about responsiveness or tight controls.[/QUOTE]
:rofl:SDTV defense force? :rofl:

The OP has a tv that works. They were just asking if there's a way to make the picture any better while still playing on the SDtv.

The correct response was 'if you buy this component or S-video cable that might make the picture better' and then leave it at that.

However, the bulk of the responses were 'LMFAO SDTV? Sheet $$$$a get an HDtv that's what all us REAL gamers play on' with a hint of 'you just a loser if you're not gaming on an HDtv'.

Really helpful, let me tell ya.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']LMFAO SDTV? Sheet $$$$a get an HDtv that's what all us REAL gamers play on' with a hint of 'you just a loser if you're not gaming on an HDtv.[/QUOTE]

Amen.

But seriously, S-video or component cables would help obviously because composite is so shitty.

Or just skip a few games and pick up a cheap LCD PC monitor and rock that. :cool:

I'd give up playing games completely before I'd go without an HDTV.

TV, Sports, Movies and games are all so much better in HD, that anyone into those hobbies should save up for a TV IMO. But there are understandably a lot of cheap asses on this site, so c'est la vie.

Personally, I didn't buy an HD console until I had an HDTV, so I didn't get my 1st 360 until late 2007 as I saved up for a TV first.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are SDTV modes available for those games:

thiefdeadlyshadows_xboxboxboxart_160w.jpg

612811-gran_turismo_4_large.jpg

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']LOL Again with the preachy people who feel that just because they 'upgraded' that others should blow money on something they don't need.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Games this generation were not meant to be played on a SDTV. It's the truth. They are not developed and made to be played on a regular TV. The difference between HD and SD while gaming is like night and day. If anyone denies this they are both wrong and blind. I'll go so far to say that if you're playing a PS3 or 360 on a regular TV, you're not getting the full experience of the system and the money you spent on it.

Even Component cables won't do the job on a regular TV. I've been there. The quality still sucks huge balls. It won't fix the text problem.

Frankly, if you got money to blow on a $300 console (or even higher if you have an older system model), and buy new release games, then you have money to blow on an HDTV. Also, you don't need a 50-inch HDTV. That's ridiculous. OP, get a nice 20-something inch HDTV and leave the SD suckas behind. Hell, you can probably get a nice 30 -something inch TV for a good price too.

This thread is just full of lulz.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's just it. You do "need" an HDTV for the HD consoles or you wouldn't have threads like this asking if games have SD modes. True you don't physically need one, but you're going to have many games that look like ass, have text that's hard to read on SDTVs etc.

If you only have an SDTV, better to stick with the Wii and prior gen consoles IMO to avoid such headaches.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:rofl:SDTV defense force? :rofl:

The OP has a tv that works. They were just asking if there's a way to make the picture any better while still playing on the SDtv.

The correct response was 'if you buy this component or S-video cable that might make the picture better' and then leave it at that.

However, the bulk of the responses were 'LMFAO SDTV? Sheet $$$$a get an HDtv that's what all us REAL gamers play on' with a hint of 'you just a loser if you're not gaming on an HDtv'.

Really helpful, let me tell ya.[/QUOTE]

I already use component cables! GWAAAD!!! 50% of you are so mean..

[quote name='DarkNessBear']
I can't even compute what you are saying right now. Are you THAT hardcore of a gaming pro - that gets millions of dollars to play games for a living that EVERY frame counts? fuck even the pro's game on HDTV's.[/QUOTE]
fucking EVERY frame counts while playing fighting games. Its about equivalent to having your tv randomly turn off for a second then turn back on. The next multiplayer game you play have someone turn your tv off when you get RIGHT in the middle of the action. When you play fighting games you are ALWAYS in the action (except if your spectating).

[quote name='EarthBound Sucks']fucking EVERY frame counts while playing fighting games. Its about equivalent to having your tv randomly turn off for a second then turn back on. The next multiplayer game you play have someone turn your tv off when you get RIGHT in the middle of the action. When you play fighting games you are ALWAYS in the action (except if your spectating).[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's just like having no picture at all.

Analogy master up in this piece!!

[quote name='Chacrana']Yes, it's just like having no picture at all.

Analogy master up in this piece!![/QUOTE]

Confucious say...

Anyway, i agree with the posters here, its really silly to not get a hdtv these days. A nice, very low lag LCD monitor for under 200 is plentiful in sizes and ranges, ive seen them for 99 at frys at times. Walmart has 32" LCD HDTVs for 250, as does frys, ive seen them at both locations.

If you're really broke, look for one of the sony XBR CRT Tube HDTVs on craigslist. They weigh 200lbs but have an amazing HD picture and 0 lag. They range from 50-150 bucks and they last a long time. I got one for free that needed 2 chips on the motherboard replaced, which i did myself for 15 bucks, used the tv for 2 years, then sold the TV back on craigslist for 150.

34XBR910 and 34XBR960 are the best of the bunch, the 960 being the best tv ever made (literally till today, best).

So THAT'S why I have had so much trouble playing games on my HDTV. Every time I press a button on my controller, my TV is basically being turned off and back on. I'm glad I came across this thread, I thought it was just me. Time to upgrade to a SDTV!

[quote name='TreizePlus']So THAT'S why I have had so much trouble playing games on my HDTV. Every time I press a button on my controller, my TV is basically being turned off and back on. I'm glad I came across this thread, I thought it was just me. Time to upgrade to a SDTV![/QUOTE]
Yea, it's infuriating.

I get 5 FPS when gaming on my HDTV. Tried playing Rogue Warrior and Vampire Rain w/ my HDTV and the crap was unplayable - was buggy and kept freezing.

Thankfully Craigslist has over 200 SDTV's posted for free just today! I'm in luck!

[quote name='Blackout']Games this generation were not meant to be played on a SDTV. It's the truth. They are not developed and made to be played on a regular TV. The difference between HD and SD while gaming is like night and day. If anyone denies this they are both wrong and blind. I'll go so far to say that if you're playing a PS3 or 360 on a regular TV, you're not getting the full experience of the system and the money you spent on it.

Even Component cables won't do the job on a regular TV. I've been there. The quality still sucks huge balls. It won't fix the text problem.

Frankly, if you got money to blow on a $300 console (or even higher if you have an older system model), and buy new release games, then you have money to blow on an HDTV. Also, you don't need a 50-inch HDTV. That's ridiculous. OP, get a nice 20-something inch HDTV and leave the SD suckas behind. Hell, you can probably get a nice 30 -something inch TV for a good price too.

This thread is just full of lulz.[/QUOTE]
Actually, I paid $400(mostly in credit from FYE) for my first PS3 and about $100-150 for my slim from GS when I dumped the 40gb I had during a $150 TIV promo. So I've had two PS3's, but the amount I've spent out of pocket for both combined is still under $200 total.:razz:

Now who's the sucka?:booty:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually, I paid $400(mostly in credit from FYE) for my first PS3 and about $100-150 for my slim from GS when I dumped the 40gb I had during a $150 TIV promo. So I've had two PS3's, but the amount I've spent out of pocket for both combined is still under $200 total.:razz:

Now who's the sucka?:booty:[/QUOTE]

You were trying to defend SDTVs. You're still the sucka. :D

[quote name='Blackout']You were trying to defend SDTVs. You're still the sucka. :D[/QUOTE]
If I was then so be it. Why should someone 'omg have to' buy a new tv just because the devs this gen decided to forget about those people gaming on a budget. The same customers who supported them last gen want to do so again this gen, but why should they have to get a new tv just to read what's on the screen?

Devs can add ludicrous amounts of fetch quests(collect 10000000 of this shitty item to prolong a 4-6 hour game) and both first person and third person perspectives, but they can't add in support for those who had enough money for a system and their game but not enough for some bs new tv?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
Devs can add ludicrous amounts of fetch quests(collect 10000000 of this shitty item to prolong a 4-6 hour game) and both first person and third person perspectives, but they can't add in support for those who had enough money for a system and their game but not enough for some bs new tv?[/QUOTE]

And what's the deal with airline food!?

[quote name='Chacrana']And what's the deal with airline food!?[/QUOTE]

Dude, airline food is shitty IF you even get a damn mean anymore. Last time all I got was a glass of water and a sack of nuts.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Dude, airline food is shitty IF you even get a damn mean anymore. Last time all I got was a glass of water and a sack of nuts.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like my last trip to the doctor.

I don't go to him anymore.

[quote name='Chacrana']Sounds like my last trip to the doctor.

I don't go to him anymore.[/QUOTE]

Hell yah bro. Last time, he gave me a shot in the ass. That little prick hurt.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Hell yah bro. Last time, he gave me a shot in the ass. That little prick hurt.[/QUOTE]

Do we have the same doctor?

[quote name='hankmecrankme']SDTVs don't need defending. It's time tested and proven technology. Why fix something that isn't broken?[/QUOTE]

Gotta say, as much as I loved it, my 32" hd lcd died after 15 months, just 3 months after warranty. $700 down the drain. :bomb:

My 19" tube tv? Paid $300 for it 19 years ago, and still kickin strong!:bow:

But damn, I do miss my hd :wall:

[quote name='godsmack13']Gotta say, as much as I loved it, my 32" hd lcd died after 15 months, just 3 months after warranty. $700 down the drain. :bomb:

My 19" tube tv? Paid $300 for it 19 years ago, and still kickin strong!:bow:

But damn, I do miss my hd :wall:[/QUOTE]
Sucks, bro. I know how that is. My NES from 1985 still works like the day I got it, but I went through 4 360s.

And my 1990 Camry is still kickin' after I replaced some parts, but my 1994 Eagle Talon is scrap metal now. :bomb:
[quote name='Chacrana']Well, don't buy a Vizio.[/QUOTE]
#1 maker of LCDs in the US, numbers don't lie. Quality son, Q-U-A-L-I-T-Y.

$700 would buy you TWO Vizios.

[quote name='distgfx']Yea, he should have bought a Samsung instead.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, buy shit from a company in a country of dog-eaters. Asshole.

[quote name='Chacrana']Yeah, buy shit from a company in a country of dog-eaters. Asshole.[/QUOTE]

Dude, have you ever had boiled dog kimchi? Shit's mad ballah.

bread's done
Back