Ace Combat 6 DLC totals $120+

akilshohen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (67%)
[quote name='X3F']We've joked around about the amount of and how crazy expensive Ace Combat 6's downloadable content is, but never really pulled out our calculators to get the full picture. But the crew at 1UP did and their findings will make AC6 fanboys' jaws fall to the floor.

Let's get to it. The grand total of all of AC6's DLC (including new jets, skins, new missions and multiplayer modes) equals an astonishing $121.83 or 9,750 Microsoft points. Add to that the cost of the game itself and you've got a $181 "complete" AC6 experience. Outrageous! After doing the math, 1UP was able to ask NAMCO about the numerous / crazy expensive DLC and were given the standard we "pay very close attention to user feedback and comments", blah, blah, blah marketing runaround. But most interesting is the fact that NAMCO refused to answer 1UP's questions about certain items' pricing, what was up with the Beautiful Katamari paid unlocks and how they'll treat Soul Calibur IV DLC. On second thought, maybe NAMCO has taken the crown from EA for being most evil DLC developer.[/QUOTE]
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/05/02/ace-combat-6-dlc-totals-120-and-growing/

although it's not nearly as bad as the idolmaster games.

[quote name='VipFREAK']And that's pretty much why I didn't waste my time with this game. Or games like rockband/Guitar Hero...[/quote]

This is nothing like RB or GH. Hell with Rock Band for a very small investment weekly you can extend the life of your game almost indefinitely. I for one save money because rather than pick up a new game I can download a few new Rock Band tracks, and all of a sudden I have even more reason to just go back to that instead.

Don't compare what Harmonix is doing to this garbage.

Man. I've been half-following the new downloads for this game even though I don't have it (still holding out for that PS3 version) and I'm surprised that they're still releasing new planes for this. While it's cool that you can download planes from the older games, they're right in that the prices are totally unreasonable. I think it works out to something like a couple dollars per plane, and a lot of them are just new paint schemes.

So because they've released tons more DLC than other companies, they are evil? That's retarded. Nobody has to buy the AC6 stuff, and it's not like it's unlocking it off the disc.

Thats why I dont buy DLC. Atleast not unless I have the points and really want it and that has happend maybe 2 or 3 times. I don't see the point for paying for an update to a game. Sure it may not be a bug update but none the less still an update. You dont see this stuff happen on a pc game. At least the ones I have played I havent.

[quote name='whoknows']Just don't buy it.

DLC is getting pretty ridiculous now though.[/QUOTE]

You're telling me. I actually worried that I might have made a mistake trading Army of Two in for $30, until I saw the DLC price: $7.50.

Uh.....no.

Rock Band is the only game at this point I can see buying DLC for because in one sense, it will never get old. You're paying to put songs you like in your game for more variety. I don't think you'll ever catch me downloading a full album DLC, but other than that, it's only adding value to an already jam-packed game.

I have strong feelings towards DLC since I believe that, for the most part, it inspires developers to leave things out of the final game in order to sell it later. (See: GTA IV) Games like Rock Band, GH, and a few others actually do extend the life of the game by it. On the flip side, I don't believe in charging for map packs because it cancels out the option of user created content. (See the past 15 years of PC FPS games)

[quote name='AFStealth']So because they've released tons more DLC than other companies, they are evil? That's retarded. Nobody has to buy the AC6 stuff, and it's not like it's unlocking it off the disc.[/quote]

I agree. I haven't played AC6, so I don't know about the nature of the content. It appears, though, that a lot of it is unnecessary fluff. So, if you don't want to pay, don't buy it. They are putting it out there for those who want it. More choices are better than less choices. As long as they aren't charging to "unlock" content already on the disc or forcing you into a situation where you can't play online at all without the new content, I see no problem here.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44'] As long as they aren't charging to "unlock" content already on the disc or forcing you into a situation where you can't play online at all without the new content, I see no problem here.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure all content is not on the disk for AC6? I know the content for Beautiful Katamari is already on the media.

We thought about including the price of the flightstick, but that really isn't a required peripheral. That would push it to over $240!

Well, even if content is already on the disc, it is their decision to make it "DLC." As long as a lack of unlocked/downloaded doesn't make a game unplayable or gives others players an advantage, I really don't see a problem. Either you want to pay for it, or you don't.

Why do I get the feeling I'm going to be seeing a thread with the same title, but related to GTA IV, in a few months from now.

Sad how companies expect people to pay money for reskins...

My problem is that older DLC should get a price drop. There is no reason for a DLC available around launch cost the same 6 months later. Since they dont take up any shelf space there is no reason for them to lower the price.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Well, even if content is already on the disc, it is their decision to make it "DLC." As long as a lack of unlocked/downloaded doesn't make a game unplayable or gives others players an advantage, I really don't see a problem. Either you want to pay for it, or you don't.[/QUOTE]

I think the problem is that developers are deliberately leaving out material, only to resell it back to players. Sure skins don't matter much, but extra jets are something I might be interested in. Now, extra missions are something nearly all players would like to see.

Evidence of this is found in games like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, where the DL content came out BEFORE the game was released.

So players are getting less game for their money; that's troubling!

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']I think the problem is that developers are deliberately leaving out material, only to resell it back to players. Sure skins don't matter much, but extra jets are something I might be interested in. Now, extra missions are something nearly all players would like to see.

Evidence of this is found in games like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, where the DL content came out BEFORE the game was released.

So players are getting less game for their money; that's troubling![/quote]

It's only troubling if the retail game is somehow lacking when compared to titles of a similar ilk. If something like Dark Messiah came out and was only like 5 hours along, cost the usual $50 or $60 ,and there was DLC that made it a 25 hour game, then there would be an issue. But the games are complete when they are released. You are getting the same thing for your money that you always were. Now, though, the game companies see an opportunity to get even more of your money. Whether or not you want to spend it is up to you. But the original game you bought is more than worth the money you paid.

Meh. I just don't buy it. They won't be doing this next time around if all the extra items sold like crap. The only DLC I buy now is for Rock Band, and the map pack for CoD4. Those things are actually worked on after the game was out, especially with Rock Band. Game has been out a long time and we still get new songs every single week. I love it.

[quote name='mrelusive']Why do I get the feeling I'm going to be seeing a thread with the same title, but related to GTA IV, in a few months from now.

Sad how companies expect people to pay money for reskins...[/quote]

GTA IV developers signed a contract with Microsoft last year to release DLC episodes later on. They are said to be massive expansions and probably expected in the range of $30. This struck a nerve with me and is the reason why they won't see a penny out of my pocket for what may be the GOTY.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']But the games are complete when they are released.[/quote]

I respectfully disagree with this statement but I know I'm in the minority. We will never know for sure, but how can you say it's complete? If there are plans for DLC shortly after release, you have to wonder what was intentionally left out to sweeten the deal for the DLC customers. That's just my opinion though.

I respectfully disagree with this statement but I know I'm in the minority. We will never know for sure, but how can you say it's complete? If there are plans for DLC shortly after release, you have to wonder what was intentionally left out to sweeten the deal for the DLC customers. That's just my opinion though.
By "complete," I mean a full-game. Almost no game is ever actually complete. There is always stuff left out, for one reason or the other. The reality is, if a game gives you a reasonable play length when compared to other games in the genre, it is a "complete" game. So, AC6 is a complete game. It isn't like the disc-based game gives you two hours of gameplay, and then you have to download stuff to get a reasonably long experience.

EDIT: I think a better wording would have been a "full" game. You're getting a full retail game for your $50 or $60, and that is all you can ask for. What the companies decide to do with extra content (or what extra content even means) is their decision.

AC6 is an awesome game and i urge and Ace Combat fans to get it if they havn't yet. With that said, i dont have nor plan to buy any of the DLC for it, but the game is still worth every penny i spent on it. The DLC has detraction from the game. In fact its a bonus that you have the OPTION to get your favorite plane from another game or whatever else the DLC is.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']It's only troubling if the retail game is somehow lacking when compared to titles of a similar ilk. If something like Dark Messiah came out and was only like 5 hours along, cost the usual $50 or $60 ,and there was DLC that made it a 25 hour game, then there would be an issue. But the games are complete when they are released. You are getting the same thing for your money that you always were. Now, though, the game companies see an opportunity to get even more of your money. Whether or not you want to spend it is up to you. But the original game you bought is more than worth the money you paid.[/QUOTE]
Exactly.

What's the problem? You aren't being forced to buy any of the content. It's all extra fluff that's there if you want it. If you don't want it, don't buy it. AC6 is still a full game without it.

[quote name='62t']My problem is that older DLC should get a price drop. There is no reason for a DLC available around launch cost the same 6 months later. Since they dont take up any shelf space there is no reason for them to lower the price.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, totally agreed.

No way Crackdown DLC should still be $10... nobody even plays the game anymore, and it been a long time since it was released. I'd grab it for $5 probably, free would be ideal for DLC for a game no one plays online anymore. They made their money on it, now throw the rest of us a bone. Everyone needs to follow the Bungie / Epic way of DLC.

[quote name='QiG']GTA IV developers signed a contract with Microsoft last year to release DLC episodes later on. They are said to be massive expansions and probably expected in the range of $30. This struck a nerve with me and is the reason why they won't see a penny out of my pocket for what may be the GOTY.
[/quote]

I don't get it. Because they plan to support and already massive game post-release, you decided you don't want to buy it? That makes absolutely no sense.

[quote name='VipFREAK']And that's pretty much why I didn't waste my time with this game. Or games like rockband/Guitar Hero...[/quote]

To be fair, RockBand had a pretty robust offering on the original game disc...58 tracks...so they weren't exactly skimping just to get us to buy DLC to make a complete experience. And again, nobody's putting a gun to your head and telling you to buy DLC

[quote name='Roufuss']Agreed, totally agreed.

No way Crackdown DLC should still be $10... nobody even plays the game anymore, and it been a long time since it was released. I'd grab it for $5 probably, free would be ideal for DLC for a game no one plays online anymore. They made their money on it, now throw the rest of us a bone. Everyone needs to follow the Bungie / Epic way of DLC.[/QUOTE]

This is my problem with download and games going that way, they gouge you for as long as possible. After that they STILL try to gouge you.
Only smart companies would drop the price of some games to $20 if they were selling at $40 after a while.
Also I believe if we go download completely Atlus will consistently GOUGE people for their games at full price. They'll be like Disney with the reissues then going back in the vault and recharging at full. Shit I'm probably giving them ideas.

[quote name='Sarang01']This is my problem with download and games going that way, they gouge you for as long as possible. After that they STILL try to gouge you.
Only smart companies would drop the price of some games to $20 if they were selling at $40 after a while.
Also I believe if we go download completely Atlus will consistently GOUGE people for their games at full price. They'll be like Disney with the reissues then going back in the vault and recharging at full. Shit I'm probably giving them ideas.[/QUOTE]

I mean, I'll concede that back when the game was $50 or $60, $10 for all that content was probably a good deal. But hell, these days, you can't find a Gamestop without numerous copies of this game for $20.. so is the DLC really worth 1/2 the cost of the game? I don't think so, imo... I think DLC should be lowered when a game's MSRP is lowered, unless the DLC is already cheap like Mass Effect's DLC.

Even if you bought it brand new at $30 MSRP, the DLC ends up costing 1/3 of the game! And that's for a game no one really plays online anymore.

Bungie and Epic make DLC free after a few months time, and I think that is the way to go. Even people knowing the DLC is going to be free, they still buy it anyways, so it's a win / win, because I'm sure a few people would go grab Crackdown knowing the DLC was made free.

[quote name='TahoeMax']To be fair, RockBand had a pretty robust offering on the original game disc...58 tracks...so they weren't exactly skimping just to get us to buy DLC to make a complete experience. And again, nobody's putting a gun to your head and telling you to buy DLC[/quote]

It's on the same level as say.. buying a Mac book pro in black, they charge you extra for black, but does it actually cost more than the white version?? no...

Either way, like 62t says...

[quote name='62t'] My problem is that older DLC should get a price drop. There is no reason for a DLC available around launch cost the same 6 months later. Since they dont take up any shelf space there is no reason for them to lower the price.[/quote]

It's not so much they cost the same even long down the road, I expect that so they can catch the people "laging behind" in either getting a 360 or a game that is now old, but they are setting their own price for something that OBVIOUSLY doesn't cost that much. The only reason it's going to stay that way is because people buy it instead of protesting. They can have a monopoly on it and to make it even harder to they mask it by using a retarded points system. It's just another reason why I like the PS3's setup even if they are overpriced too.

Of course since I'm in the minority on this just like with EA apparently... I'll get flamed. :roll:

Am I the only one who finds it funny, seeing content made unavailable on disc but activated via DLC, yet why? I mean isn't the extra $10 suppose to cover the cost of the game dev.? Seriously why not charge $50 if they're going to pull this gimp shit? Most people will buy the game anyway even with this.

[quote name='contej85']I don't get it. Because they plan to support and already massive game post-release, you decided you don't want to buy it? That makes absolutely no sense.[/quote]

To each his own, but I feel its a vile abuse of DLC to sign an exclusive contract with a certain hardware company almost a year before release. I've played the GTA series since the first one on PC almost ten years ago and when I bought my system I was under the impression the developers would throw the fans that made the game what it was a bone and give priority to the playstation. Instead, they sold out to MS rather than offer an expansion disc (ala Oblivion) to all parties.

Will it matter that they're not getting money from me? Not really, but I refuse to support it.

As someone that has played, enjoyed and beaten the game, I have to say it's a very complete experience without downloading anything extra. For those that are really into the game (like the people that ponied up for the flight stick bundle) the variety of DLC might work out well for them. I doubt they expect someone to buy everything.

In short, if this game felt gimped or shortened in some way, these DLC gripes would be justified. However, this is a long, full game, so I don't think those some arguments carry weight.

[quote name='QiG']To each his own, but I feel its a vile abuse of DLC to sign an exclusive contract with a certain hardware company almost a year before release. I've played the GTA series since the first one on PC almost ten years ago and when I bought my system I was under the impression the developers would throw the fans that made the game what it was a bone and give priority to the playstation. Instead, they sold out to MS rather than offer an expansion disc (ala Oblivion) to all parties.

Will it matter that they're not getting money from me? Not really, but I refuse to support it.[/quote]

Playstation fans didn't make GTA what it is, fans of Grand Theft Auto made them what they are, and the majority of them have no allegiance to any particular company, they just want to shoot a few cops and kill a hooker. You are an extreme minority who cares what system you play it on.

I bought a few of the Ace Combat DLC while playing the game to see what it was about. Pure garbage, recolors and other crap that could have been in the game from the start. That didn't bother me so much, but making the multiplayer co-op missions something that needs to be bought did, the game came with so few maps as it was. the only benefit to the DLC for the game was by buying a recolor it unlocks that version of the plane much sooner then you would have gotten it in game, so you could essentially say screw the underpowered planes you start with and use the good stuff beginning at missoin 1.

I don't get it. Complaining about the aggregate pricing of a game and all of the optional content doesn't make any sense. If you wanted to play WoW for the next twelve months it could potentially cost you $250. How much would it cost to play Kartrider if you bought every single optional thing available? Hell you could spend thousands of dollars on crap in Second Life.

I spent 1600 microsoft points on Halo 3, thats $20, and i'm happy with what i got
if they kept making maps for Halo 3, they would keep getting my money and if it adds up to $120 in DLC cash, I wouldn't mind.

Since Halo 3 came out, I have had 4 copies of the game, buy and selling them off, that is more than $120 alone

[quote name='coolsteel']I bought a few of the Ace Combat DLC while playing the game to see what it was about. Pure garbage, recolors and other crap that could have been in the game from the start. That didn't bother me so much, but making the multiplayer co-op missions something that needs to be bought did, the game came with so few maps as it was. the only benefit to the DLC for the game was by buying a recolor it unlocks that version of the plane much sooner then you would have gotten it in game, so you could essentially say screw the underpowered planes you start with and use the good stuff beginning at missoin 1.[/QUOTE]

honestly the only thing I'd be intrested in for AC6 would be the IDOLM@STER planes.

[quote name='jkanownik']I don't get it. Complaining about the aggregate pricing of a game and all of the optional content doesn't make any sense. If you wanted to play WoW for the next twelve months it could potentially cost you $250. How much would it cost to play Kartrider if you bought every single optional thing available? Hell you could spend thousands of dollars on crap in Second Life.[/quote]

Which is why I don't play that crap either...

[quote name='VipFREAK']Which is why I don't play that crap either...[/quote]

Being a cheapass who wants to play modern games is only going to get harder and harder my friend.

Haven't had a problem so far... being a non gamer to start with and also having a real picky taste helps too.

I have a real hard time playing any kinda mmorpg or rts or whatever it is because it's such a waste of time. Even Simcity got old FAST. xD

I don't have a problem with the sheer amount of AC6 DLC. The downloadable fighters are disappointing though. Every last one of them is just a new skin with different stats. I would be happy to buy some new aircraft that weren't in the original game. My money is on the table for an F-4 Phantom, F-104 Starfighter, etc...

Oh, and the Idolmaster planes are really stupid.

[quote name='NTolerance']I don't have a problem with the sheer amount of AC6 DLC. The downloadable fighters are disappointing though. Every last one of them is just a new skin with different stats. I would be happy to buy some new aircraft that weren't in the original game. My money is on the table for an F-4 Phantom, F-104 Starfighter, etc...

Oh, and the Idolmaster planes are really stupid.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree, way too many recolors with slightly different stats, I was expecting brand new stuff, even joke planes would have been appreciated

I only buy the extra DLC if I know its something that I'm gonna play. I learned first hand that with PGR3...wasted money on the DLC but never really played it. I've dropped the money for Forza 2, but only because I still play it (not that far at the moment). I stil remember PGR2, that if you didn't have the extra DLC, you pretty much weren't able to play online.

bread's done
Back