Achievement Whore Problems

The_Jacket

CAG Veteran
Feedback
1 (100%)
I am a huge Achievement whore. I played GUN 4 times to get all of the achievements, Condemed 2x. So I think I am perty dedicated to getting all of the achievements on games, but then I ran in to the Pile of Crap i call Dead or Alive 4. To me this game is unplayable. Everything seems so fast except the my character. I hate that freaking game. And the only other problem I am having is games like Quake 4 and PDZ, where they want you to play online for hundreds of hours to get them all. Are there any other achievement whores having these Problems?

Yeah, I hate the online acheivements.... what about the people that don't/can't play online? Personally, I have Xbox Live Gold, but I just don't care for online games.

Whats the point of the no-life points? I am intrested in them SLIGHTLY and when I get a 360, ill prob do a few, but some poepl go nuts over these!

I'm an achievement whore, inasmuch as I want to nab as many points as possible. However, I won't knock myself out on achievements that are too hard, or on games that are not worth playing to me.

I've always had a problem with the people who rush out to grab every EA game just to get the 1000 points and dump the game right after. If the points meant something or contributed to something, it would be different. But, I just regard the points as something to add a ton of replayability to your favorite games, and to also sort of show off your skill at the game (mainly shooters and racers, as sports games have easy achievements and those 2 genres have what I call the "lifetime achievements" where you have to play the game a LOT to get them). To me, getting 1000 points on CoD2 or FarCry or PGR3 is a lot more impressive than having 45000 overall points.

If you can't play DoA4, you probably need to play more fighters... it's one of the easiest fighters out there so I don't see why you have such a problem with it. oh well, not everyone is good at fighters I understand. Just like I am never good at sports games.

you paid $60 to get achievment points? there is a much larger "problem" here :lol:

Don't know how many times I say this, but I barely play my ps or gamecube anymore just because I can't get achievements for it.

There were a few games I couldn't make it through. Single player in the Outfit was unberable, so I never finished that. Over G Fighters was another, though I mildly enjoyed it to get about half. Ridge Racer I played to death, and I still don't have 150 points. Those are utterly ridiculous.

I stand by that Full Auto has the best Achievements out there. They're all obtainable with work, they're frequently rewarded, and spread out nicely throughout the entire game.

I'm happy with my score (23,186), but a few developers really need to understand the system.

[quote name='help1']Whats the point of the no-life points? I am intrested in them SLIGHTLY and when I get a 360, ill prob do a few, but some poepl go nuts over these![/quote] It gives you a reason to play games and get the most out of them. For Call of Duty 2, I probally would never have tried to play the veteran difficulty if not for being able to show people that I was able to do it (although I still didn't beat two levels due to the difficulty). For G.R.A.W., I probally wouldn't have even continued to play the single player after I got stuck at a certain point.

It's a good system that Sony is ripping off for the PS3. It sounds stupid when you say it, but it makes so much sense once you start unlocking them.

[quote name='gamereviewgod']There were a few games I couldn't make it through. Single player in the Outfit was unberable, so I never finished that. Over G Fighters was another, though I mildly enjoyed it to get about half. Ridge Racer I played to death, and I still don't have 150 points. Those are utterly ridiculous.

I stand by that Full Auto has the best Achievements out there. They're all obtainable with work, they're frequently rewarded, and spread out nicely throughout the entire game.

I'm happy with my score (23,186), but a few developers really need to understand the system.[/QUOTE]

Same with Burnouts achievements. They require you to actually play through the game beat it and play it alot. (like the 1000 takedowns achievement) It does have a few dumb online ones though.

I don't go out and buy/rent games just to get achievements, but if I get a game I like I usually try to get them all. I think it is a good idea cause I probably wouldn't have played COD2 on veteran, and that game plays differently on veteran (no more run and gun). However, I wish they would have used the achievement points as what you use to buy stuff off of xbl (except arcade games I realize they do need to get some sort of profit off of those). That would really help sales on some games, but they would definitely have to fix the system so that the more difficult points are worth the most.

[quote name='sj41']
It's a good system that Sony is ripping off for the PS3. It sounds stupid when you say it, but it makes so much sense once you start unlocking them.[/QUOTE]

Its Sony. Anything that works for the compeition they implement in there new system and call it there own.

[quote name='gamereviewgod']There were a few games I couldn't make it through. Single player in the Outfit was unberable, so I never finished that. Over G Fighters was another, though I mildly enjoyed it to get about half.[/quote]
Wow, I really enjoyed the single-player component of The Outfit. But I'm with you on OVer G--blech.

[quote name='mr ryles']Don't know how many times I say this, but I barely play my ps or gamecube anymore just because I can't get achievements for it.[/QUOTE]

My PS2 + GC aren't even hooked up yet and I've had the new tv for over a week now ;)

Although the points themselves are basically mush now, it is still lots of fun to try and get them. I feel that it adds an extra level of replay (usually) to a game you might otherwise only play once or occasionally.

i try to get as many as possible but I am not going to waste my time renting a game for it...kinda pissed that i got my graw points offline, and they show up right now on xbox.com, but not in my gamertag on cag

Eh I wish the points did something like they acted as marketplace points. Maybe like 10 gamer pts = 1 marketplace pt or something like that but they're pretty much useless so I dont bother.

I'm obligated to insert a semi-related PA comic:

20060619.jpg

Honestly though, I never really bought into the concept. A decent number of my firneds either play games casually or hardly at all so if I started telling them how pimp my 360 achivement score is to boast my gaming ego, they'd probably laugh at me or just stare blanky at me.

I always thought it wouldn've been a perfect system if instead of gamerscore, you earn MS Points instead, even if it were a tiny amount... It would make gamers more willing to work hard in games for points to use to upgrade other games... sadly, it's just a way to boost ego (lame).

There's going to be another purpose for these points. Microsoft is a little too perticular for them to just be ego boosting. If they didn't care, why have the requirement that a retail game is required to include 1000 points over atleast 5 in-game achievements (Though these achievements can be added a later date). Or that certain achievements must be equal to zero points (DoA's loser ones, NCAA 07's achievement for getting achievements, or even Small Arms' viral one).

Any bets that the next Zero Hour-type event invitations are determined by score?

[quote name='terribledeli']There's going to be another purpose for these points. Microsoft is a little too perticular for them to just be ego boosting. If they didn't care, why have the requirement that a retail game is required to include 1000 points over atleast 5 in-game achievements (Though these achievements can be added a later date). Or that certain achievements must be equal to zero points (DoA's loser ones, NCAA 07's achievement for getting achievements, or even Small Arms' viral one).

Any bets that the next Zero Hour-type event invitations are determined by score?[/QUOTE]

If that's the case I'm going Japanese on them in terms of RPG's if I felt they haven't delivered like they should've.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Yeah, I hate the online acheivements.... what about the people that don't/can't play online? Personally, I have Xbox Live Gold, but I just don't care for online games.[/quote]

what!! the only games i feel have good acheivements are online games

i hate SP games that have realy weak easy acheivements i dont see the fun in getting them if it doesnt take some time or is a bit hard

If I actually received something from my achievements or gamerscore I'd probably care a lot more. Being that it's only for online ego boosting I find it rather worthless.

Im conflicted over it all. I mean, I think its cool and I get excited when it blips up with 'achievment unlocked' but then I get pissed when I look at my gamercard and see it was only for 20 points.

Im a freelancer in my field, so Ill work 12 hour days in spurts and not have time to play a game, and then Ill be free for a week. Iv got a stack of games that are half finished, and I refuse to send Kameo back to gamefly because I havent unlocked all the achievments and I dont want to actually buy it. Still the thought of me picking it up makes me sick. Its not that fun, but damnit Im not giving up on the points!

I'm not sure why everyone is complaining about the achievements. Microsoft added them in for:

1) Further game replayability
2) Bragging rights on your favorite games

I got my 360 about a week ago and I really got into Marble Blast Ultra on the XBLA. I beat all the intermediate levels under par time, but I haven't bothered playing the advanced levels since they are ungodly hard. At that point I simply stopped playing because it wasn't fun anymore and moved onto something else. That's how it should be.

Also, let's say you don't play videogames much, and maybe you play the same game all the time like my dad does (Madden). Achievement points would only give him more replayability, but since he only plays Gamecube he misses out on that.

I like acheivements but since I have so many games I usually don't go back to beat games just to get them. EVen so the only game I think I would go back and play right now is COD2 and maybe GRAW. Games like Condenmed where I got half the acheivments the first time through I just dont feel like putting the time in to play again just so I can collect all the birds and metal pieces. I do get excited when it pops up and says acheivment unlocked but I usually dont go out of my way.

[quote name='Apossum']and now people buy games that they hate as well :lol:[/QUOTE]
Yeah I don't understand the people who rent or buy games they dont like just to get the points.

[quote name='Madskills1182']Yeah I don't understand the people who rent or buy games they dont like just to get the points.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I'm talking about. No one cares if you have 200,000 achievement points....if anything I'll just think you're a dork.

[quote name='mr ryles']Don't know how many times I say this, but I barely play my ps or gamecube anymore just because I can't get achievements for it.[/quote]

Unless that's a dramatic overstatement, that's kind actually kind of sad.
I can understand if it's a determining factor between buying it for the 360, Gamecube or PS2, or if it's a determining factor for playing like games (a FPS on PS2 or Xbox), but otherwise, that's just kind of disturbing.

Of course, I don't know if it's just that it's "new", so the practice is still novel, but if you won't play other types of games (on the PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, DS, PSP, etc) because you're not constantly having your ego stroked, that's really, really sad.

(Of course, if you only play the styles of games that are in the 360's "wheelhouse", then it's kind of moot.)

[quote name='JSweeney']Unless that's a dramatic overstatement, that's kind actually kind of sad.
I can understand if it's a determining factor between buying it for the 360, Gamecube or PS2, or if it's a determining factor for playing like games (a FPS on PS2 or Xbox), but otherwise, that's just kind of disturbing.

Of course, I don't know if it's just that it's "new", so the practice is still novel, but if you won't play other types of games (on the PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, DS, PSP, etc) because you're not constantly having your ego stroked, that's really, really sad.

(Of course, if you only play the styles of games that are in the 360's "wheelhouse", then it's kind of moot.)[/QUOTE]

No, I think a lot of us relate. I could play unplayed title X on my GC or unplayed title Y on my 360. Besides the fact that the 360 is flashier and newer, those little points are defnitely incentive.

I don't get whoring points, but I do try to get as many as possible from the games I'm playing (and enjoying). Sometimes I get through a campaign that I don't like that much (GRAW) and just can't do it again, so the higher difficulty ones just aint happening. But if they seem feasable, I definitely try and do all the little extra things to get the points.

[quote name='morpheus_49017']No, I think a lot of us relate. I could play unplayed title X on my GC or unplayed title Y on my 360. Besides the fact that the 360 is flashier and newer, those little points are defnitely incentive.

I don't get whoring points, but I do try to get as many as possible from the games I'm playing (and enjoying). Sometimes I get through a campaign that I don't like that much (GRAW) and just can't do it again, so the higher difficulty ones just aint happening. But if they seem feasable, I definitely try and do all the little extra things to get the points.[/quote]

I only see that argument as viable if Unplayed title X and Unplayed title Y are of similar styles and catagories of games.
Xbox 360 doesn't have much in the way of RPGs, Console Style, Strategy or otherwise.
It's adventure games don't really pile up all that favorably against the competitions, or even the Xbox's.

If you want to play a First or third person shooter, sure, Xbox 360 is the better choice. Parlor games (thanks to Uno and marketplace's other offerings), sure, it's advantage 360.

But really, playing games you may like less because there is this etheral "incentive"? That just seems kind of silly.

All things being equal, I can see it being the clincher. But all things rarely are equal.

[quote name='morpheus_49017']No, I think a lot of us relate. I could play unplayed title X on my GC or unplayed title Y on my 360. Besides the fact that the 360 is flashier and newer, those little points are defnitely incentive.

I don't get whoring points, but I do try to get as many as possible from the games I'm playing (and enjoying). Sometimes I get through a campaign that I don't like that much (GRAW) and just can't do it again, so the higher difficulty ones just aint happening. But if they seem feasable, I definitely try and do all the little extra things to get the points.[/QUOTE]

if it comes down to over g fighters or chromehounds versus paper mario or smash bros, I don't think achievment points are going to make any difference.

[quote name='Apossum']if it comes down to over g fighters or chromehounds versus paper mario or smash bros, I don't think achievment points are going to make any difference.[/QUOTE]

If it comes down to Halo 3 and Spongebob Squarepants....

[quote name='gamereviewgod']There were a few games I couldn't make it through. Single player in the Outfit was unberable, so I never finished that. Over G Fighters was another, though I mildly enjoyed it to get about half. Ridge Racer I played to death, and I still don't have 150 points. Those are utterly ridiculous.
[/QUOTE]

Single player for the Outfit was kind of meh... but you can still get achievements through co-op. I played through co-op mode twice, I thought it was that good.

[quote name='gizmogc']If it comes down to Halo 3 and Spongebob Squarepants....[/quote]

That's neither here nor there, gizmogc.
Halo 3 doesn't need the addition of achievement points to push it over the top.

I like them but I don't think I'm going out of my way to get them. I do get a kick out of seeing 'achievment unlocked' pop up on the screen. I can imagine someone who is a member of gamefly can get way more points then me but I can live with my gamer score no matter how low it is.

[quote name='nickmad']achievments = meaningless[/QUOTE]
says the guy with his gamerscore and recent games played in his sig

[quote name='ryanbph']says the guy with his gamerscore and recent games played in his sig[/quote]
Yeah smart guy, I dont have that in my sig to show off. I liked the Blanka art and it so happens that I found it incorporated into the gamer card sig.
I play games to have fun, not to score meaningless points.
Blow me.

Yeah, I have to go with ryanbph on that. If gamerscore and achievements are meaningless why have a gamercard in your sig? The XBL link under all your other info should be sufficient for other CAGs to find you on Live if that's what you want.

Anyway, I've gone from being a serious achievement whore back when mygamercard.net just started up to being more or less ambivalent about them now. I won't play a game I hate or am not interested in to get them and I don't obsess about getting every last achievement out of a game, but I do take a certain level of pride in some of them. I mean today after playing Geometry Wars an hour or so a week since like December, I finally scored over a million. I know there are people out there that have scores like 150M+ but I'm still proud of it because the first time I played it I could barely make it to 10K. Far Cry and COD2 I played on difficulties higher than I normall would because of achievements and I think I'm better at those games for it. So in summation, I don't think achievements are useless but they aren't anything to get stressed about. Me and a couple of friends were like that for most of the early half of this year and after a while you realize there is always somebody with more money and more time and more skill than you out there, so why torture yourself when you are never going to be on top, much less forever. I gave up on that back in April/May and now I just try to keep within range of my friends. When you keep it just amongst friends it's still pretty cool.

[quote name='Stuka']Yeah, I have to go with ryanbph on that. If gamerscore and achievements are meaningless why have a gamercard in your sig? The XBL link under all your other info should be sufficient for other CAGs to find you on Live if that's what you want.[/quote]

*ahem*I liked the Blanka art and it so happens that I found it incorporated into the gamer card sig.

I get all the acheivements I can if the game is a blast to play through, like DoA 4.

Well, going for the ones within my reach anyways, not the "score 100 wins in survival mode" or "play 100 hours" ridiculousness.

Achievements are awesome, to me they make games incorporate alot more replay value because I'm getting every last drop I can out of my games, instead of maybe stopping halfway through a game never to play it again.

[quote name='JSweeney']That's neither here nor there, gizmogc.
Halo 3 doesn't need the addition of achievement points to push it over the top.[/QUOTE]

It does when someone is comparing Prey and Chromehounds to Smash Bros and Paper Mario.

I think some people are getting TOO involved with achievements and now are not enjoying the games. Yes, I do agree they are neat to get, but it's a not a big deal. Especially since people are now using the transfer kit to get FAKE achievement points. I was on 360gamesaves.com and there are people that just want to download the save file so they can get achievement points. This just seems pointless.

bread's done
Back