Action Movies

cindersphere

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I have been on an action movie marathon for a while now and I was hoping that some people could give me some recommendations.

Here's a list on what I have seen recently and liked
Dirty Harry Series
Matrix
Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction
Commando
Die Hard
V for vendetta
Terminator
Predator

Hopefully I may find a new favorite action movie.

last_action_hero_ver2.jpg

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Boondock Saints 1/2[/QUOTE]

I know I'm trolling here, but I thought the first Boondock Saints movie was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. So I can only guess it's a movie you either love or hate.

Boondock Saints 2 was God fucking awful. First one was good, but second one just makes me hope the franchise is dead and buried now.

Other then that...

District B13
Versus (think Japanese Evil Dead, but with Yakuza, swords, guns and bit more comedic bits)
The Killer (the old John Woo movie)
Hard Boiled (if you liked the gunplay in The Matrix, there's no reason you should not see this movie)
Children of Men (not really an action movie per say, but some of the single shot scenes in the movie ranks up there with the better action films if not better. Think Gears of War type quality)
Shoot em Up

[quote name='bardockkun']Boondock Saints 2 was God fucking awful. First one was good, but second one just makes me hope the franchise is dead and buried now.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I fell in love with the first one when I first saw it, but wish I hadn't seen Boondock Saints 2.

My recommendation? Raw Deal (Starring Arnie Schwarzenegger!)

[quote name='bardockkun']
District B13
Versus (think Japanese Evil Dead, but with Yakuza, swords, guns and bit more comedic bits)
The Killer (the old John Woo movie)
Hard Boiled (if you liked the gunplay in The Matrix, there's no reason you should not see this movie)[/QUOTE]

Versus is awesomely insane. And John Woo = action.

Here are some of my favorite contemporary Asian action movies that are guaranteed to entertain.

City of Violence - Let me start by saying "you're welcome." This movie is flat out cool.
Killzone (aka SPL) - Donnie Yen is a badass cop. Kicks Sammo Hung's ass. Nuff said.
Flashpoint - Donnie Yen is a badass cop. Kicks Colin Chou's ass. Nuff Said.

ong bak
fists of legend
fighter in the wind
versus is really over the top action. Its fun but like alot of japanese films, quite mindless IMO.

[quote name='dude2003']
true lies[/QUOTE]
Argh! You beat me to it! ;)

What about Total Recall? Anudda one faw the gummybear of Candycornia!

ill third shoot em up. its just a fun movie.

die hard 2 is kinda meh, but 3 and 4 are good. if you want bad dialogue and over the top violence the new rambo will also do you well.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']ill third shoot em up. its just a fun movie.

die hard 2 is kinda meh, but 3 and 4 are good. if you want bad dialogue and over the top violence the new rambo will also do you well.[/QUOTE]
I don't know that I'd say the last Rambo had bad dialogue. But i will say the violence really went there when most movies hold back. Pretty good flick in my opinion.

Shoot 'Em Up was abysmal.

If you added some drab florescent pixel art to that scene, it would look like something from RelentlessRolento's digital videography portfolio.

Somehow I think you're the only one that's going complain about a freefall shootout ending with someone's body landing in copter propellors. Lolz just kidddn
It was an alright movie, my friends thought it was awesome but, it doesn't come up in movie discussions... It was more of a self-parody thing going on I think, rather than just trying to be an awesome action movie that takes itself seriously and fails. For that I have to give it points. It's decent. EDIT: But not everyone's cup of tea I should point out.

[quote name='SpeedyG']+1 for Shoot Em Up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlx4n_ibNZE[/QUOTE]

If you look quickly at the scene in the airplane you'll see an appearance by Jay Reso (Christian in WWE). He plays a bodyguard (no lines). I also give this flick a thumbs up.

And let's not forget the amazing classic that is Road House. Don't forget the Milwaukees Best.

[quote name='TheCapn010']It was an alright movie, my friends thought it was awesome but, it doesn't come up in movie discussions... It was more of a self-parody thing going on I think, rather than just trying to be an awesome action movie that takes itself seriously and fails. For that I have to give it points. It's decent. EDIT: But not everyone's cup of tea I should point out.
[/QUOTE]
If it had been consistent in the not taking itself seriously thing it'd at least have that going for it. But they tried to throw in some plot with god knows what going on, something about a baby having cancer curing cells or something? A baby factory gets smashed to hell for some reason. All the while we get ridiculous action scenes that are done with just enough lack of polish where you are constantly wondering was it meant to be this bad? If so, why not go all out? Movie can't decide on itself so it just ends up being bad all around. When I first saw this I wasn't expecting anything other than a mindless action movie with some stuff blowing up and it still turned out poorly.

Army of Darkness
The Warriors
Equilibrium
The Road Warrior
Crank 1 and 2
Kill Bill 1 and 2
Red Dawn
Planet Terror
Zombieland
They Live
Escape from New York
Tango and Cash
Death Wish
Rolling Thunder
Under Siege
The Last Boy Scout
Code of Silence
From Dusk Till Dawn
Desperado
Bloodsport
Showdown in Little Tokyo
Eraser
Get Carter(Caine)
Lethal Weapon 1 and 2
Beverly Hills Cop 1 and 2
Robocop
etc.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Use the "Rule of Michaels". If it says directed by Michael Mann, get it. If it says Michael Bay, skip it.[/QUOTE]

Unless it's "The Rock".

The first hour of The Rock is legitimately some of the worst material ever put on film. No joke.

That said, the second half is satisfyingly entertaining in its 'cliched-action-movie' sort of way.

[quote name='5of9']the wild geese (oldie but a goodie)
Shoalin soccer
Fight Club[/QUOTE]
Fight Club only has like four to six minutes of fight scenes total in a two hour plus movie. So I'd hardly call it an action as much as it is a drama, good movie still though.

AND fuck!

Can't believe I didn't mention Mad Max 2/Road Warrior. One of the best sequels ever made and just balls out awesome in general.

Plus Black Hawk Down I'll throw in as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like these:

City of Violence (What happens with the story is sad but has a lot action.)
Flashpoint (If you have Netflix you can Instant Q this one and the action is awesome.)
Ong Bak 1 or 2 (Both with a lot of action but 2 is a period movie that tries to hard to focus on the story.)
Hard Boiled (John Woo movies can't go wrong with action)
Hitmen/Contract Killers (Same movie just different names for it. If you like Jet Li check it out.)

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Use the "Rule of Michaels". If it says directed by Michael Mann, get it. If it says Michael Bay, skip it.[/QUOTE]

Unless it's, "Miami Vice".

bread's done
Back